Woodstock, Ontario

What is Woodstock, Ontario known for?


hits

Broadcasting Christian radio - - CKDK-FM 0 103.9 FM Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario) Corus Entertainment adult hits - - CIHR-FM 0 104.7 FM Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario) Byrnes Communications adult contemporary - Born in Woodstock, Ontario, Pattullo's early career was as a journalist with two newspapers in Ontario

against adult contemporary station CIQM-FM and adult hits station CHST-FM. The flip to hot AC was caused by previous hot AC station CHST-FM flipping to its current '''Bob FM''' format in July 2003. In August 2005, the Energy Radio brand was folded completely and CFHK rebranded as "103-1 Fresh FM", due to the fact it could match the current CFHK calls. The morning program featuring "D, Mindy & Gord" moved from co-owned CFPL-FM (FM96) to launch the new

station format. '''CKDK-FM''' is a radio station owned by Corus Entertainment and based in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada that transmits at 50,000 watts at 103.9 MHz (Megahertz) on the FM (FM broadcasting) dial. Until August 2008, the station primarily played classic rock; it has since evolved to a 1960s-1980s oldies classic hits playlist, but now airs an adult hits format under the branding '''More 103.9'''. The TVDSB serves an area over 7,000 square


famous silver

in the freighting business. He moved to Park City, Utah, in 1883, "Thomas Kearns," by Miriam B. Murphy, Utah History to Go and worked in mining, prospected, and operated several mines. In 1889 and his partner David Keith discovered the rich ore that became the famous Silver King Coalition Mine in Park City. O. N. Malmquist, ''The First 100 Years'', p. 182 They would eventually own several mines throughout Utah, Nevada, Colorado and California. In Park City, Kearns, a Catholic, married Jennie Judge in 1890, and had three children.


fishing+part

. With one outdoor pool, the Lions Pool. Natural areas and parks Burgess Park Oxford Road 59 N. 28.5 ha (70.5 acres) of naturalized area outside of city limits. Part of the Upper Thame River Conservation Authority. Harry Roth Park Huron St. 10 ha (25 acres) for passive recreations and fishing. Part of the Upper Thames River Conversation Authority. Homer Brown Pavey St. 3 ha (8 acres) of parkland. McIntosh Park Butler St. This park, with an area of 4.5 ha (11 acres), was named after the former operators of a wood and coal business and later an ice factory. It is located on the former sit of McIntosh Mill Pond. Gordon Pittock Conservation Area 725138 Pittock Park Rd. Passive recreation and fishing. Hunting is restricted. Part of the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. Infrastructure Pittock Dam west of Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. The airport is commonly called the ''Woodstock Flying Club'' due to the size of the airport. Clarke was born in Brockville (Brockville, Ontario), Ontario, and was raised in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). He became active in radio broadcasting when still in high school, and worked in radio and television for sixteen years after his graduation. He was a news anchor for CKWS (CKWS-TV) Television from 1987 to 1993, when he switched to sales at CIZ radio. ''Kingston Whig-Standard'', 10 May 1997. In 1997, the station was acquired by Shaw Communications. Following the change in ownership, Energy's format shifted from dance music to mainstream CHR (contemporary hit radio). Dance, rap, hip-hop, rock, and pop all received equal airplay. A minor name change also took place, with '''Energy 108''' changing to '''Energy Radio'''. Under Shaw's ownership, several other stations in Ontario, including CKDK (CKDK-FM) in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), CHAY (CHAY-FM) in Barrie (Barrie, Ontario) and CKGE (CKGE-FM) in Oshawa (Oshawa, Ontario), also adopted the '''Energy Radio''' format, rebroadcasting CING much of the day. Shaw's radio operations were, in turn, spun off to Corus Entertainment in 1999. Some have also suggested that a non-profit community radio station would have been a more appropriate way to serve LGBT audiences, and that as a low-power signal many people who live away from the Church and Wellesley area may not even be able to receive the station at all. In fact, some listeners have noted that even in the Church and Wellesley Village itself, the station's signal sometimes gets drowned out by CBL-FM's rebroadcaster in Peterborough (Peterborough, Ontario) or by CKDK-FM from Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). "Toronto's Proud FM plans to get a little louder". ''Xtra!'', March 26, 2010. Mary Jo Eustace told ''fab (fab (magazine))'' that she decided to leave the station shortly after discovering that she couldn't pick up the signal in her car radio when it was parked just outside the studio. "Queer radio goodwill falls from 50-watt cliff". ''Mondoville'', May 7, 2010. Centre Norwich North Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Blandford-Blenheim (Blandford-Blenheim, Ontario) Northeast - colspan "4" '''Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario)''' - ''Main article (Woodstock municipal election, 2006)'' - Immigration and mining Born near Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, he moved with his parents to O'Neill in Holt County, Nebraska, where he attended the public schools until he was 17, worked on a farm, and engaged in the freighting business. He moved to Park City, Utah, in 1883, "Thomas Kearns," by Miriam B. Murphy, Utah History to Go and worked in mining, prospected, and operated several mines. In 1889 and his partner David Keith discovered the rich ore that became the famous Silver King Coalition Mine in Park City. O. N. Malmquist, ''The First 100 Years'', p. 182 They would eventually own several mines throughout Utah, Nevada, Colorado and California. In Park City, Kearns, a Catholic, married Jennie Judge in 1890, and had three children.


white building

Other industries Woodstock is also home to industries: *'''General Motors''' National Parts Distribution Warehouse, the largest of its kind in Canada. *'''Vuteq Canada''', an automotive supply company to General Motors and Toyota and employs 450. *'''Toyota Boshoku''', an automotive supply company to Toyota. *'''Tigercat Industries''', a forestry and logging equipment manufacturer. *'''RWF Bron''', a heavy equipment manufacturer. *'''Woodstock Precision Machining''', a precision machine part supplier . *'''Kelsey Hayes''', an automotive supply company for Ford. *'''Firestone''', a textile tire manufacturing company since 1936 *'''Agribrand Purina''', pet food feed manufacturing and distribution centre Transportation thumb Woodstock's Via Rail Station. (Image:VIA Rail Station Woodstock Ontario 3.JPG) Woodstock Transit provides bus service on weekdays and Saturdays. Woodstock Transit Information. City.woodstock.on.ca (2008-07-01). Retrieved on 2013-07-24. For intercity travel Via Rail operates a train station (Woodstock, Ontario railway station) in the city, offering Corridor (Via Rail) Quebec City-Windsor corridor


historic public

. Ford, using 140,000 feet of lumber, 1 1 4 tons of nails, and 1 1 4 miles of putty on a site previously occupied by wooden market sheds. The low roof and wide canopies are typical of market construction in this period, and interesting features included the twin towers, the drinking fountain at the front door, and the use of stone in the trim. (Start, Turner, Gardhouse, Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'') Woodstock Jail Gaol thumbnail 180px left Oxford County Gaol (File:Oxford County Board of Health Woodstock Ontario.JPG) The old jail was built in 1854 by Hamilton architects Clark and Murray in the Italianate style, with many arches, and an octagonal 2 1 2 storey tower; in this case, the architecture camouflages the function of the institution. Four men and one woman were hanged in the yard, including the infamous Birchall, who posing as "Lord Somerset" duped the entire town and murdered his gentlemen farmer apprentice; this was Victorian Canada's most sensational murder case. The death mask at the entrance is of blind Thomas Cook, hanged in 1862 for murdering his wife; his head rolled into the crowd, and afterwards public hangings were discontinued. The building was recently restored by C.A. Ventin architects of Simcoe, after a decade of lobbying by the "Save the Jail" Committee, with spectacular results, and is now occupied by Oxford County Public Health.(Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'') Woodstock Public Library thumbnail 180px right Woodstock Public Library (File:Public Library Woodstock Ontario.JPG) The Woodstock Public Library was built in 1909 by Chadwick and Beckett of Toronto on a Carnegie library grant, and it is considered one of the most attractive Carnegie libraries in Ontario. It is in classical revival style, with a graceful entrance, bi-chromatic brickwork, and well-balanced windows; the rotunda inside is beautifully proportioned and dramatic. The library traces its history back to a reading society formed in 1835 with Rev. William Bettridge of Old St. Paul's Church as president, and possesses the only complete set of minute books in the province dating back to 1835. Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'' Oxford County Court House thumbnail 180px left Oxford County Court House (File:Oxford County Court House Woodstock Ontario 2.JPG) Built in 1892 to replace a Regency predecessor of 1839, the Courthouse is a massive building of sandstone in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, with a complex roof line. The first architect was dismissed in 1890 after the walls were found to be faulty, and replaced by Cuthbertson of Woodstock and Fowler of Toronto. Monkey heads are hidden among the capitals of the red marble pillars at the two front entrances, and the monkey at the peak is said to have been carved by the contractor to represent the county council after a dispute over payment. City Hall Old Post Office thumbnail 180px right Woodstock City Hall building (File:City Hall Woodstock Ontario 1.jpg) The current City Hall was originally built in 1901 as a post office during the term of Alexander McClenaghan, postmaster for thirty years. Bourgue DesRivieres of Ottawa were the architects and William Hall Burns, a prominent Ottawa sculptor of the Library of Parliament, was commissioned to do the exterior stone carving. Built of warm sandstone, with decorative trim in the gables and a bold corner tower with four clocks, it was converted to municipal offices in 1968. Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'' Old Fire Hall thumbnail 180px left Old Perry Street Fire Hall (File:Old Fire Hall Woodstock Ontario 1.JPG) The Perry Street firehall was built in 1899 at a cost of $7,500 to house the horse-drawn wagons. On Saturday evenings, people would gather to see the horses ruch of their stalls at the sound of the regular 9 o'clock bell, race around the building and back themselves into the shafts ready to be harnessedy by the firemen as they slid down the pole from their upstairs quarters. The firehall features a square tower with detailed brickwork at the top, and a miniature tower to the right. The tower bell used to ring for fires, curfews, and lost children, and is now mounted in Southside Park. (Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'') Woodstock Armoury thumb 180px right Old Armoury building (File:Armoury.jpg) The old Armouries was erected in 1904 by Nagle and Mills of Ingersoll as the home of the Oxford Rifles until 1954. The crenelated towers give it an appearance of heavy fortification, and its architecture reveals function through its exterior form, making interesting use of stone and brick. In 1971, after being declared surplus to Department of National Defense needs, it was transformed into offices for the Oxford County Board of Education, at which times its two wrought-iron spiral staircases (valued at $3000) were sold at public auction for $250 apiece. A stone cairn made with stones from the beach of Dieppe, where members of the Battalion participated in The Battle of Dieppe in August 1942, accounts the history of the Oxford Rifles. Woodstock Via Station thumbnail 180px left Woodstock Via Rail Station (File:VIA Rail Station Woodstock Ontario 2.JPG) The Grand Trunk Railway owned and operated the Woodstock trains in 1914. They would later go bankrupt and be bought out by CN. Via now resides in the heritage building once occupied by Grand Trunk. Pattulo's Fountain thumb 180px right Pattulo's Fountain (File:Pattullo's fountain.jpg) This fountain sits in front of The Woodstock Museum or Old Town Hall. The fountain was erected in 1916 in honour of Andrew Pattulo, who was head of the Sentinel-Review in the early twentieth century. Old Registry Building thumbnail 180px left Old Registry Office (File:Registry Office Woodstock Ontario.JPG) The Old Registry Office, now housing Oxford County Social Services, was constructed in 1876 to replace an earlier building on the County Square's opposite front corner, and served as a registry office until 1952. Italianate in style like the old jail, it is highlighted by semi-circular masonry over the windows carried out in the arch over the door. Its walls are two feet thick and its roof is said to be filled with sand, making the structure fireproof, and conforming to design plans common to registry offices of that era in Ontario. Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'' Plaques: The first Registry office built in Oxford County was located west of here at the corner of Hunter and Light Streets, Woodstock, 1847. This building, the second Registry Office, was constructed in 1876 and remained in use until 1952. Five registrars of deeds served Oxford in their private homes and in these offices. Capt.Thomas Horner 1800-1834, James Ingersoll 1834-1886, George R. Pattullo 1186-1922, Wallace L. McaWhinnie 1922-1950, Ross V. Tuck 1950-1969. Oxford Hotel thumb 180px left Oxford Hotel (File:Oxford Hotel.jpg) The Oxford Hotel, located across from Market Square and the Town Hall in Woodstock 2was built in 1880 as “The O’Neill House”. It saw guests such as Oscar Wilde and Reginald Birchall, and later had a double purpose – it was the meeting spot for media in Birchall’s trial. In 1895, the hotel saw a new owner, who named it “Oxford” and it would change hands twice more in the twentieth century. The Oxford Hotel also booked some interesting acts. In 1924, the “Human Fly”, who was the all the rage across Canada and the United States, walked across the walls of Oxford’s Hotel. (SR, July 21, 1924) The Hotel sits empty now and is available for purchase. There is a historical plaque on the building, recognizing its contributions to local history. Captain Andrew Drew House 735 Rathbourne Ave. Built in 1833. Drew divided the eastern section of the town into town lots and formed the nucleus of this community. A plaque for Captain Andrew Drew, R.N., 1792-1878. Co-founder of Woodstock with Andrew Vansittart. He led the loyalist forces, which destroyed the American steamer Caroline during the 1837 Rebellion. Hawkin's Chapel North of Park Row,west of Mill St. A movement to build a church for black people resulted in its construction in 1888. The church closed in 1985 when it was sold for a house. Hugh Richardson House 419 Vincent St. Neo-classical style house built in 1849. The first owner, Hugh Richardson, was the presiding judge at the Louis Riel trial in 1885. Richardson was also the first reeve of Woodstock. James Hay residence An Italianate style home built in 1878. There is a lamp post from the Vansittart farm on the property. A plaque for James Hay, a well-known industrialist born in Woodstock, who was one of the founders of the Board of Trade in 1878, elected to Town Council in 1880 and Mayor between 1893 and 1894. Perry-Hill Home; "House of the Valley" 130 Finkle St. It is the oldest house in Woodstock, built in 1819 by Dr. Perry, the first doctor and teacher in Woodstock. T.L. "Carbide" Wilson House 210 Vansittart Ave. The home was built in 1895 by Thomas L. Wilson, inventor of the 1st commercial calcium-carbide process for the manufacturer of acetylene gas. It was the residence of the Sisters of St. Joseph's until 1975. Education Post-secondary * Fanshawe College, the city's only post secondary institution The campus is located at the south end of the city, offering a variety of full and part-time programs. Fanshawe has applied for a permit to add onto their campus. The addition would double the size of the current campus and allow the institution to offer a much wider selection of programs. Secondary schools * School Within A College (SWAC)-Woodstock (Alternative Education) * Woodstock Collegiate Institute * Huron Park Secondary School * College Avenue Secondary School * St Mary's Secondary School (Catholic) * Ecole Secondaire Notre Dame Elementary schools - Thames Valley District School Board * Algonquin Public School (1994), 634. * St Michael's (1967), 300. * Holy Family French Immersion (1981), 192. * Central Public School (1880s), 289. * Eastdale Public School (1955), 278. * Northdale Public School (1950), 264. * Oliver Stephens Public School. * Roch Carrier French Immersion Public School (2011). Originally Huron Park Public School (1953), renamed Hillcrest Public School (1969). * Southside Public School (1956), 266. * Springbank Public School (1964), 272. * St Patrick's(unknown), 249. * Winchester Street Public School (1963), 192. Originally D.M. Sutherland Senior Public School. Sports and recreation thumb 180px left The Gordon Pittock Conservation area at the Northeastern Edge of the city. (File:Autumn fishing north shore.jpg) Woodstock has several parks and gardens. Most notable is '''Southside Park''', which has a playground, baseball diamonds, public washrooms, soccer fields, gardens, and a new Skatepark. It also has a large pond, and many walking trails. Tip O'Neill Field at Southside Park is home for the '''Woodstock Rangers OBA Junior baseball team.''' At the North End of the city is Roth Park and the Gordon Pittock Conservation Area, which stretch along the shores '''Gordon Pittock Reservoir''', an artificial lake created by the construction of the Pittock Dam. This park contains a playground and several kilometers of walking, running, and biking trails. The Woodstock Dragon Boat Club also uses the Gordon Pittock Reservoir as their home. They are a growing dragon boat community consisting of both adult and junior teams. Woodstock has two ice rinks, two at the Community Complex at the south end of the city, and one at the fairgrounds in the central region. Southwood Arena at the Community Complex is home for the Woodstock Navy-Vets '''OHA Junior hockey team.''' Woodstock also has a roller derby team. The Woodstock Warriors. Woodstock roller derby was founded in 2011. The Woodstock Soccer Club has built an indoor and outdoor soccer park in the northwestern corner of the city, at the former site of the Oxford Regional Centre. The city has two indoor swimming pools, Southside Aquatic Centre, and the YMCA. With one outdoor pool, the Lions Pool. Natural areas and parks Burgess Park Oxford Road 59 N. 28.5 ha (70.5 acres) of naturalized area outside of city limits. Part of the Upper Thame River Conservation Authority. Harry Roth Park Huron St. 10 ha (25 acres) for passive recreations and fishing. Part of the Upper Thames River Conversation Authority. Homer Brown Pavey St. 3 ha (8 acres) of parkland. McIntosh Park Butler St. This park, with an area of 4.5 ha (11 acres), was named after the former operators of a wood and coal business and later an ice factory. It is located on the former sit of McIntosh Mill Pond. Gordon Pittock Conservation Area 725138 Pittock Park Rd. Passive recreation and fishing. Hunting is restricted. Part of the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. Infrastructure Pittock Dam west of Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. The airport is commonly called the ''Woodstock Flying Club'' due to the size of the airport. Clarke was born in Brockville (Brockville, Ontario), Ontario, and was raised in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). He became active in radio broadcasting when still in high school, and worked in radio and television for sixteen years after his graduation. He was a news anchor for CKWS (CKWS-TV) Television from 1987 to 1993, when he switched to sales at CIZ radio. ''Kingston Whig-Standard'', 10 May 1997. In 1997, the station was acquired by Shaw Communications. Following the change in ownership, Energy's format shifted from dance music to mainstream CHR (contemporary hit radio). Dance, rap, hip-hop, rock, and pop all received equal airplay. A minor name change also took place, with '''Energy 108''' changing to '''Energy Radio'''. Under Shaw's ownership, several other stations in Ontario, including CKDK (CKDK-FM) in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), CHAY (CHAY-FM) in Barrie (Barrie, Ontario) and CKGE (CKGE-FM) in Oshawa (Oshawa, Ontario), also adopted the '''Energy Radio''' format, rebroadcasting CING much of the day. Shaw's radio operations were, in turn, spun off to Corus Entertainment in 1999. Some have also suggested that a non-profit community radio station would have been a more appropriate way to serve LGBT audiences, and that as a low-power signal many people who live away from the Church and Wellesley area may not even be able to receive the station at all. In fact, some listeners have noted that even in the Church and Wellesley Village itself, the station's signal sometimes gets drowned out by CBL-FM's rebroadcaster in Peterborough (Peterborough, Ontario) or by CKDK-FM from Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). "Toronto's Proud FM plans to get a little louder". ''Xtra!'', March 26, 2010. Mary Jo Eustace told ''fab (fab (magazine))'' that she decided to leave the station shortly after discovering that she couldn't pick up the signal in her car radio when it was parked just outside the studio. "Queer radio goodwill falls from 50-watt cliff". ''Mondoville'', May 7, 2010. Centre Norwich North Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Blandford-Blenheim (Blandford-Blenheim, Ontario) Northeast - colspan "4" '''Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario)''' - ''Main article (Woodstock municipal election, 2006)'' - Immigration and mining Born near Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, he moved with his parents to O'Neill in Holt County, Nebraska, where he attended the public schools until he was 17, worked on a farm, and engaged in the freighting business. He moved to Park City, Utah, in 1883, "Thomas Kearns," by Miriam B. Murphy, Utah History to Go and worked in mining, prospected, and operated several mines. In 1889 and his partner David Keith discovered the rich ore that became the famous Silver King Coalition Mine in Park City. O. N. Malmquist, ''The First 100 Years'', p. 182 They would eventually own several mines throughout Utah, Nevada, Colorado and California. In Park City, Kearns, a Catholic, married Jennie Judge in 1890, and had three children.


work play

old. Downtown promotes itself through its B.I.A. members as a place to shop, work, play and dine. Although there are a few vacancies in the city centre, the downtown is full of beautiful historic buildings and several unique retail outlets. In the 1990s the city undertook an extensive makeover of the main street, adding many gardens and cobbled sidewalks. Every summer the main street is shut down for the cities "


style home

construction in 1888. The church closed in 1985 when it was sold for a house. Hugh Richardson House 419 Vincent St. Neo-classical style house built in 1849. The first owner, Hugh Richardson, was the presiding judge at the Louis Riel trial in 1885. Richardson was also the first reeve of Woodstock. James Hay residence An Italianate style home built in 1878. There is a lamp post from the Vansittart farm on the property. A plaque for James Hay, a well-known industrialist born in Woodstock, who was one of the founders of the Board of Trade in 1878, elected to Town Council in 1880 and Mayor between 1893 and 1894. Perry-Hill Home; "House of the Valley" 130 Finkle St. It is the oldest house in Woodstock, built in 1819 by Dr. Perry, the first doctor and teacher in Woodstock. T.L. "Carbide" Wilson House 210 Vansittart Ave. The home was built in 1895 by Thomas L. Wilson, inventor of the 1st commercial calcium-carbide process for the manufacturer of acetylene gas. It was the residence of the Sisters of St. Joseph's until 1975. Education Post-secondary * Fanshawe College, the city's only post secondary institution The campus is located at the south end of the city, offering a variety of full and part-time programs. Fanshawe has applied for a permit to add onto their campus. The addition would double the size of the current campus and allow the institution to offer a much wider selection of programs. Secondary schools * School Within A College (SWAC)-Woodstock (Alternative Education) * Woodstock Collegiate Institute * Huron Park Secondary School * College Avenue Secondary School * St Mary's Secondary School (Catholic) * Ecole Secondaire Notre Dame Elementary schools - Thames Valley District School Board * Algonquin Public School (1994), 634. * St Michael's (1967), 300. * Holy Family French Immersion (1981), 192. * Central Public School (1880s), 289. * Eastdale Public School (1955), 278. * Northdale Public School (1950), 264. * Oliver Stephens Public School. * Roch Carrier French Immersion Public School (2011). Originally Huron Park Public School (1953), renamed Hillcrest Public School (1969). * Southside Public School (1956), 266. * Springbank Public School (1964), 272. * St Patrick's(unknown), 249. * Winchester Street Public School (1963), 192. Originally D.M. Sutherland Senior Public School. Sports and recreation thumb 180px left The Gordon Pittock Conservation area at the Northeastern Edge of the city. (File:Autumn fishing north shore.jpg) Woodstock has several parks and gardens. Most notable is '''Southside Park''', which has a playground, baseball diamonds, public washrooms, soccer fields, gardens, and a new Skatepark. It also has a large pond, and many walking trails. Tip O'Neill Field at Southside Park is home for the '''Woodstock Rangers OBA Junior baseball team.''' At the North End of the city is Roth Park and the Gordon Pittock Conservation Area, which stretch along the shores '''Gordon Pittock Reservoir''', an artificial lake created by the construction of the Pittock Dam. This park contains a playground and several kilometers of walking, running, and biking trails. The Woodstock Dragon Boat Club also uses the Gordon Pittock Reservoir as their home. They are a growing dragon boat community consisting of both adult and junior teams. Woodstock has two ice rinks, two at the Community Complex at the south end of the city, and one at the fairgrounds in the central region. Southwood Arena at the Community Complex is home for the Woodstock Navy-Vets '''OHA Junior hockey team.''' Woodstock also has a roller derby team. The Woodstock Warriors. Woodstock roller derby was founded in 2011. The Woodstock Soccer Club has built an indoor and outdoor soccer park in the northwestern corner of the city, at the former site of the Oxford Regional Centre. The city has two indoor swimming pools, Southside Aquatic Centre, and the YMCA. With one outdoor pool, the Lions Pool. Natural areas and parks Burgess Park Oxford Road 59 N. 28.5 ha (70.5 acres) of naturalized area outside of city limits. Part of the Upper Thame River Conservation Authority. Harry Roth Park Huron St. 10 ha (25 acres) for passive recreations and fishing. Part of the Upper Thames River Conversation Authority. Homer Brown Pavey St. 3 ha (8 acres) of parkland. McIntosh Park Butler St. This park, with an area of 4.5 ha (11 acres), was named after the former operators of a wood and coal business and later an ice factory. It is located on the former sit of McIntosh Mill Pond. Gordon Pittock Conservation Area 725138 Pittock Park Rd. Passive recreation and fishing. Hunting is restricted. Part of the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. Infrastructure Pittock Dam west of Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. The airport is commonly called the ''Woodstock Flying Club'' due to the size of the airport. Clarke was born in Brockville (Brockville, Ontario), Ontario, and was raised in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). He became active in radio broadcasting when still in high school, and worked in radio and television for sixteen years after his graduation. He was a news anchor for CKWS (CKWS-TV) Television from 1987 to 1993, when he switched to sales at CIZ radio. ''Kingston Whig-Standard'', 10 May 1997. In 1997, the station was acquired by Shaw Communications. Following the change in ownership, Energy's format shifted from dance music to mainstream CHR (contemporary hit radio). Dance, rap, hip-hop, rock, and pop all received equal airplay. A minor name change also took place, with '''Energy 108''' changing to '''Energy Radio'''. Under Shaw's ownership, several other stations in Ontario, including CKDK (CKDK-FM) in Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), CHAY (CHAY-FM) in Barrie (Barrie, Ontario) and CKGE (CKGE-FM) in Oshawa (Oshawa, Ontario), also adopted the '''Energy Radio''' format, rebroadcasting CING much of the day. Shaw's radio operations were, in turn, spun off to Corus Entertainment in 1999. Some have also suggested that a non-profit community radio station would have been a more appropriate way to serve LGBT audiences, and that as a low-power signal many people who live away from the Church and Wellesley area may not even be able to receive the station at all. In fact, some listeners have noted that even in the Church and Wellesley Village itself, the station's signal sometimes gets drowned out by CBL-FM's rebroadcaster in Peterborough (Peterborough, Ontario) or by CKDK-FM from Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario). "Toronto's Proud FM plans to get a little louder". ''Xtra!'', March 26, 2010. Mary Jo Eustace told ''fab (fab (magazine))'' that she decided to leave the station shortly after discovering that she couldn't pick up the signal in her car radio when it was parked just outside the studio. "Queer radio goodwill falls from 50-watt cliff". ''Mondoville'', May 7, 2010. Centre Norwich North Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario), Blandford-Blenheim (Blandford-Blenheim, Ontario) Northeast - colspan "4" '''Woodstock (Woodstock, Ontario)''' - ''Main article (Woodstock municipal election, 2006)'' - Immigration and mining Born near Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, he moved with his parents to O'Neill in Holt County, Nebraska, where he attended the public schools until he was 17, worked on a farm, and engaged in the freighting business. He moved to Park City, Utah, in 1883, "Thomas Kearns," by Miriam B. Murphy, Utah History to Go and worked in mining, prospected, and operated several mines. In 1889 and his partner David Keith discovered the rich ore that became the famous Silver King Coalition Mine in Park City. O. N. Malmquist, ''The First 100 Years'', p. 182 They would eventually own several mines throughout Utah, Nevada, Colorado and California. In Park City, Kearns, a Catholic, married Jennie Judge in 1890, and had three children.


local history

Loyalists in 1800, starting with Zacharias Burtch and Levi Luddington, Local History. City.woodstock.on.ca. Retrieved on 2013-07-24. and became a town in 1851. Since then, Woodstock has maintained steady growth, and is now one of the largest cities in Southwestern Ontario. As a small historic city, Woodstock is one of the few cities in Ontario to still have all of its original

for media in Birchall’s trial. In 1895, the hotel saw a new owner, who named it “Oxford” and it would change hands twice more in the twentieth century. The Oxford Hotel also booked some interesting acts. In 1924, the “Human Fly”, who was the all the rage across Canada and the United States, walked across the walls of Oxford’s Hotel. (SR, July 21, 1924) The Hotel sits empty now and is available for purchase. There is a historical plaque on the building, recognizing its contributions to local


massive building

a Regency predecessor of 1839, the Courthouse is a massive building of sandstone in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, with a complex roof line. The first architect was dismissed in 1890 after the walls were found to be faulty, and replaced by Cuthbertson of Woodstock and Fowler of Toronto. Monkey heads are hidden among the capitals of the red marble pillars at the two front entrances, and the monkey at the peak is said to have been carved by the contractor to represent the county council after


program featuring

against adult contemporary station CIQM-FM and adult hits station CHST-FM. The flip to hot AC was caused by previous hot AC station CHST-FM flipping to its current '''Bob FM''' format in July 2003. In August 2005, the Energy Radio brand was folded completely and CFHK rebranded as "103-1 Fresh FM", due to the fact it could match the current CFHK calls. The morning program featuring "D, Mindy & Gord" moved from co-owned CFPL-FM (FM96) to launch the new

Woodstock, Ontario

'''Woodstock''' is a city in Southwestern (Southwestern Ontario) Ontario, Canada, situated along the Quebec City–Windsor Corridor. The city has a population of 37,754 according to the 2011 Canadian census (Canada 2011 Census). Woodstock is the seat of Oxford County (Oxford County, Ontario), at the head of the non-navigable Thames River (Thames River, Ontario), approximately 128 km from Toronto, and 43 km from London, Ontario. The city is known as the Dairy Capital of Canada and promotes itself as "The Friendly City." Woodstock is the official seat of Oxford County (Oxford County, Ontario).

Woodstock was first settled by European-colonists (Europe) and United Empire Loyalists in 1800, starting with Zacharias Burtch and Levi Luddington, Local History. City.woodstock.on.ca. Retrieved on 2013-07-24. and became a town in 1851. Since then, Woodstock has maintained steady growth, and is now one of the largest cities in Southwestern Ontario. As a small historic city, Woodstock is one of the few cities in Ontario to still have all of its original administration buildings. The city has developed a strong economic focus towards manufacturing and tourism.

Woodstock is home to a campus of Fanshawe College. The city plays host to a number of cultural and artistic exhibits, including the Woodstock Museum, a national historic site. Woodstock's summer festivals contribute to its tourism industry, however, its economic activity is centred on the manufacturing centre, the city being home to a large number of auto-manufacturing factories. The city's west end has exceptionally well-preserved Victorian (Victorian architecture) streetscapes, most notable of these streets is Vansittart Avenue, named after Admiral Henry Vansittart, one of the city's first settlers. Woodstock has a large community centre (Woodstock District Community Complex) with a rink capable of accommodating 2,500 spectators for hockey games. The centre also has a large banquet hall and atrium which play host to a large number of social gatherings for the community. Woodstock District Community Complex. City.woodstock.on.ca. Retrieved on 2013-07-24.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017