Thorold

What is Thorold known for?


offering commercial

 tonnes) of flour. Today, the Welland Mills building has been restored offering commercial space on the ground floor and residential apartments above. '''Beaverdams Methodist (Methodism) Church (Church (building)) and Burying Ground (Cemetery)''', on Marlatt's Road, was constructed in 1832. Beaverdams Church is the oldest Methodist Church still standing in Ontario. The first minister to preach in the chapel was Reverend Egerton Ryerson, who is largely responsible for founding the province of Ontario's education system. '''Soldiers' Monument''' is a war memorial monument that commemorates World War I (1914–1919), World War II (1939–1945) and the Korean War (1950–1953). Located in Memorial Park, at the corner of Albert and Chapel streets, it was unveiled on Sunday, October 30, 1921 and was erected by the citizens of Thorold to: "Honour the Memory of the Men of Thorold, who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the great war, and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers." '''The Old Public Library''', at 1 Ormond Street South, is one of 156 Carnegie libraries (Carnegie library) to have been funded in Canada. The building, designed by architect A.E. Nicholson, was opened in 1912. The library moved from here to its present home in Chestnut Hall in 1983. The building now serves as the Thorold Seniors' (Pensioner) Centre. Communities The '''Thorold Blackhawks''' are a Canadian (Canada) junior (junior hockey) ice hockey team based in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.


show

with the arrival of the first ship of the year through Lock 7. Usually held in late March. '''Italia-in-Festa''' - Celebrating Italian food, drink, dance and entertainment. Thorold is rich in Italian history and is the ideal location for a celebration of this culture. Usually held the last weekend in June. '''Thorold Arts & Crafts Show''' - This event, begun in 1979, and ''was'' held during the month of July The event was moved from Battle of Beaverdams park to the Thorold Community Arena

on Front Street in 2007 and is held during the last weekend of May each year. '''Thorold Antique Car Show''' - Downtown Thorold is the location for this event, generally held at the end of July. '''The Canal Bank Shuffle''' - A three-day-long, annual festival of music and dance in the downtown core. The Shuffle attracts some of North American's top Blues musicians and features over 20 acts at a dozen venues within walking distance of each other. (Member

of the Crossborder Blues group.Annual Santa Claus Parade''' - The Santa Claus Parade is held in November each year, and runs through the downtown core of the city. '''November Thorold's Christmas Arts & Crafts Show''' - The November Arts & Crafts Show is held at Thorold Secondary School the third weekend of November each year. City of Thorold Pipe Band The City of Thorold Pipe Band has been serving the Regional Municipality


annual events

goodbye at the rock, sometimes chipping a piece of the rock and putting it in their pocket as a talisman (amulet) for a safe journey. Sailors, being a superstitious group, considered it bad luck to embark at Lock 7 without first visiting the Kissing Rock. Arts and culture Thorold is home to several festivals and annual events. Included are: '''Mountain Top Ceremony''' - Held at the Lock 7 Viewing Complex, this annual celebration marks the opening of the Welland Canal shipping season with the arrival of the first ship of the year through Lock 7. Usually held in late March. '''Italia-in-Festa''' - Celebrating Italian food, drink, dance and entertainment. Thorold is rich in Italian history and is the ideal location for a celebration of this culture. Usually held the last weekend in June. '''Thorold Arts & Crafts Show''' - This event, begun in 1979, and ''was'' held during the month of July The event was moved from Battle of Beaverdams park to the Thorold Community Arena on Front Street in 2007 and is held during the last weekend of May each year. '''Thorold Antique Car Show''' - Downtown Thorold is the location for this event, generally held at the end of July. '''The Canal Bank Shuffle''' - A three-day-long, annual festival of music and dance in the downtown core. The Shuffle attracts some of North American's top Blues musicians and features over 20 acts at a dozen venues within walking distance of each other.(Member of the Crossborder Blues group. Annual Santa Claus Parade''' - The Santa Claus Parade is held in November each year, and runs through the downtown core of the city. '''November Thorold's Christmas Arts & Crafts Show''' - The November Arts & Crafts Show is held at Thorold Secondary School the third weekend of November each year. City of Thorold Pipe Band The City of Thorold Pipe Band has been serving the Niagara Region (Regional Municipality of Niagara) and beyond for almost 20 years in community based activities, civic parades, military parades, and a variety of other events. The Pipe Band is solely supported by fundraising activities. The band's weekly practices are hosted by the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 17. The band's typical parade season is from May to November. '''Official Name''': The "City of Thorold Pipe Band" '''Clan''': MacGregor '''Motto''': 'S rioghal mo dhream (Gaelic: Royal is my race) '''Tartan''': Ancient MacGregor '''Significance''': Founder James (Jim) Greig '''Founded''': May 28, 1986 - Thorold, Ontario Canada '''Pipe Major''': Gary J. Cooper '''Drum Major''': Eric D. Scott, CD '''Band Logo''': Clan MacGregor badge superimpossed on the MacGregor Tartan on a 45 degree angle. Drive-in The Can-View 4 drive-in theater complex, located near the intersection of highways 20 (Highway 20 (Ontario)) & 406 (Ontario Highway 406), is the only one of its kind in the Niagara Region (Regional Municipality of Niagara). A tornado swept through the Niagara Peninsula on 20 May 1996, and damaged the screen at the drive-in. Coincidentally, that drive-in was scheduled to show the movie ''Twister (Twister (1996 film))'' that evening. The '''Thorold Blackhawks''' are a Canadian (Canada) junior (junior hockey) ice hockey team based in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.


red stone

of Jacob Keefer. The mansion sits on the highest rise in the city offering a commanding view of the community below. Built by Hugh Keefer in 1885, this red stone structure with elaborate gables and dormers has been variously used in the past as a residence, a hospital, and a private nursing home. Maplehurst was recently restored to its original condition and is currently known as the Keefer Mansion, a 10 room inn (Public_house#Inns) noted for its fine dining. '''Welland Mills''', at 20 Pine Street North, was constructed in 1846 on the bank of the second Welland Canal by Jacob Keefer and, at that time, it contained the largest watermill in Canada. The Keefers were entrepreneurs and are considered one of Thorold's founding families. At its height, the mill was capable of manufacturing 300 barrel (barrel (unit))s (89 tonnes) of flour per day and storing 70,000 bushels (1,900 tonnes) of wheat and 5,000 barrels (440 tonnes) of flour. Today, the Welland Mills building has been restored offering commercial space on the ground floor and residential apartments above. '''Beaverdams Methodist (Methodism) Church (Church (building)) and Burying Ground (Cemetery)''', on Marlatt's Road, was constructed in 1832. Beaverdams Church is the oldest Methodist Church still standing in Ontario. The first minister to preach in the chapel was Reverend Egerton Ryerson, who is largely responsible for founding the province of Ontario's education system. '''Soldiers' Monument''' is a war memorial monument that commemorates World War I (1914–1919), World War II (1939–1945) and the Korean War (1950–1953). Located in Memorial Park, at the corner of Albert and Chapel streets, it was unveiled on Sunday, October 30, 1921 and was erected by the citizens of Thorold to: "Honour the Memory of the Men of Thorold, who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the great war, and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers." '''The Old Public Library''', at 1 Ormond Street South, is one of 156 Carnegie libraries (Carnegie library) to have been funded in Canada. The building, designed by architect A.E. Nicholson, was opened in 1912. The library moved from here to its present home in Chestnut Hall in 1983. The building now serves as the Thorold Seniors' (Pensioner) Centre. Communities The '''Thorold Blackhawks''' are a Canadian (Canada) junior (junior hockey) ice hockey team based in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.


opening

through the heart of the city, and the Twin Flight Lock (Lock (water transport))s, located downtown, attract thousands of tourists annually. History The earliest communities in what is now Thorold emerged at Beaverdams (Beaverdams, Ontario), DeCew Falls and St. Johns (St. Johns, Ontario) http: www.thoroldtourism.ca historyheritage2.htm but, after the opening of the First Welland Canal (Welland Canal#First Welland Canal) in 1829, they were superseded by the new

library Public Library . '''St. Johns School House (One-room school)''', on Hollow Road, is a single-room wooden school house located in the west portion of Thorold. Opening in 1804, it was the first free school (Secular education) in Upper Canada. The first teacher at the school was Samuel Birdsall. The enrolment in 1826 was recorded as 29 students. The building was fully restored in 1974. '''Maplehurst''', at 14 Saint David's Road West, is a Thorold landmark and the former home

in Thorold of a "Kissing Rock" located at the Lock 7 Viewing Complex. It is said that, around the time of the opening of the fourth Welland Canal, a sailor on the Great Lakes named Charles Snelgrove, originally from England, would bring his lady friends to the rock near Lock 7 to kiss the girl good-bye before boarding his ship. According to the legend, before long other sailors learned of the rock and they, too, began to bring their girlfriends or wife to kiss


education free

library Public Library . '''St. Johns School House (One-room school)''', on Hollow Road, is a single-room wooden school house located in the west portion of Thorold. Opening in 1804, it was the first free school (Secular education) in Upper Canada. The first teacher at the school was Samuel Birdsall. The enrolment in 1826 was recorded as 29 students. The building was fully restored in 1974. '''Maplehurst''', at 14 Saint David's Road West, is a Thorold landmark and the former home of Jacob Keefer. The mansion sits on the highest rise in the city offering a commanding view of the community below. Built by Hugh Keefer in 1885, this red stone structure with elaborate gables and dormers has been variously used in the past as a residence, a hospital, and a private nursing home. Maplehurst was recently restored to its original condition and is currently known as the Keefer Mansion, a 10 room inn (Public_house#Inns) noted for its fine dining. '''Welland Mills''', at 20 Pine Street North, was constructed in 1846 on the bank of the second Welland Canal by Jacob Keefer and, at that time, it contained the largest watermill in Canada. The Keefers were entrepreneurs and are considered one of Thorold's founding families. At its height, the mill was capable of manufacturing 300 barrel (barrel (unit))s (89 tonnes) of flour per day and storing 70,000 bushels (1,900 tonnes) of wheat and 5,000 barrels (440 tonnes) of flour. Today, the Welland Mills building has been restored offering commercial space on the ground floor and residential apartments above. '''Beaverdams Methodist (Methodism) Church (Church (building)) and Burying Ground (Cemetery)''', on Marlatt's Road, was constructed in 1832. Beaverdams Church is the oldest Methodist Church still standing in Ontario. The first minister to preach in the chapel was Reverend Egerton Ryerson, who is largely responsible for founding the province of Ontario's education system. '''Soldiers' Monument''' is a war memorial monument that commemorates World War I (1914–1919), World War II (1939–1945) and the Korean War (1950–1953). Located in Memorial Park, at the corner of Albert and Chapel streets, it was unveiled on Sunday, October 30, 1921 and was erected by the citizens of Thorold to: "Honour the Memory of the Men of Thorold, who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the great war, and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers." '''The Old Public Library''', at 1 Ormond Street South, is one of 156 Carnegie libraries (Carnegie library) to have been funded in Canada. The building, designed by architect A.E. Nicholson, was opened in 1912. The library moved from here to its present home in Chestnut Hall in 1983. The building now serves as the Thorold Seniors' (Pensioner) Centre. Communities The '''Thorold Blackhawks''' are a Canadian (Canada) junior (junior hockey) ice hockey team based in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.


wooden school

library Public Library . '''St. Johns School House (One-room school)''', on Hollow Road, is a single-room wooden school house located in the west portion of Thorold. Opening in 1804, it was the first free school (Secular education) in Upper Canada. The first teacher at the school was Samuel Birdsall. The enrolment in 1826 was recorded as 29 students. The building was fully restored in 1974. '''Maplehurst''', at 14 Saint David's Road West, is a Thorold landmark and the former home


deep open

was planned to be carried in a subterranean tunnel. However, the sandy soil in this part of Ontario made a tunnel infeasible, and a deep open-cut canal was dug instead. Government The greater part of the peninsula is incorporated as the Regional Municipality of Niagara. Cities in the region include St. Catharines, Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario), Thorold, Port Colborne and Welland. Towns include Niagara-on-the-Lake, Lincoln (Lincoln, Ontario), Pelham


free school

library Public Library . '''St. Johns School House (One-room school)''', on Hollow Road, is a single-room wooden school house located in the west portion of Thorold. Opening in 1804, it was the first free school (Secular education) in Upper Canada. The first teacher at the school was Samuel Birdsall. The enrolment in 1826 was recorded as 29 students. The building was fully restored in 1974. '''Maplehurst''', at 14 Saint David's Road West, is a Thorold landmark and the former home

education free school in Upper Canada, housed in a single-room, wooden schoolhouse (One-room school). By the time a post office was established in 1831, the community included a woollen factory, a tannery (tanning), a foundry, stores, and a number of mills. Eventually, the hydro power offered by the site became less of a commodity. As industry in surrounding towns grew, St. Johns' affluence declined. Trails The Welland Canal Parkway Trail is a paved recreational path


team based

Thorold, ON (Ontario), CAN (Canada) DATE OF DEATH November 24, 2008 - Thorold Henry D'Angela - logosize 140px city Thorold, Ontario, Canada league Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League The '''Thorold Blackhawks''' are a Canadian (Canada) junior (junior hockey) ice hockey team based in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

Thorold

'''Thorold''' (2011 population 17,931) is a city in Ontario, Canada, located on the Niagara Escarpment. It is also the seat of the Regional Municipality of Niagara.

The Welland Canal passes through the heart of the city, and the Twin Flight Lock (Lock (water transport))s, located downtown, attract thousands of tourists annually.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017