by Canadian and international artists, assembled by Samuel E. Weir. Completed in 1970, the building features Georgian-style architecture, including a mansard roof and gabled windows. It served as Weir's country residence, and was converted into an art museum following his death in 1981. This village is the point where the Niagara River began eroding the Niagara Escarpment. During the ensuing 12,000 years the Falls cut an long gorge in the Escarpment southward to its present
Regt., about 15 militiamen and a small force of Six Nations and other Indians under Capt. William Johnson Kerr and Dominique Ducharmes to surprise and attack the enemy at Beechwoods (or Beaver Dams) and after a short engagement, to capture Col. Bosler of the U.S. Army and his entire force of 542 men with two field pieces.''
.17 This plan failed to materialize in part because Smyth failed to cooperate. Coleman, pp.17, 18 An attempt to carry out the plan on the night of October 10 11 was thwarted by bad weather. Smyth marched his detachment back to Black Rock, New York. The British gained an important post on American territory and won control over Michigan Territory and the Detroit region for most of the following year. Brock was hailed as a hero, and Tecumseh's influence over
and Laura Secord publisher University of Toronto Press location Toronto year 2002 The '''Battle of Queenston Heights''' was the first major battle in the War of 1812 and resulted in a British (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland) victory. It took place on 13 October 1812, near Queenston (Queenston, Ontario), in the present-day province of Ontario. It was fought between United States regulars and New York militia forces led by Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer (Stephen Van Rensselaer III), and British forces, Canadian militia and Mohawks (Mohawk nation) led by Major General Isaac Brock, and Major General Roger Sheaffe, who took command when Brock was killed. For most of July Brown's army occupied Queenston (Queenston, Ontario) a few miles south of Fort George. In this forward position they were harassed by Canadian militia and Indians (First Nation). On 24 July Brown fell back to the Chippawa River intending to secure his supplies before advancing west to Burlington (Burlington, Ontario). As soon as Brown retired, British light infantry and militia under Major General Riall advanced to Lundy's Lane *The NY 18F designation has been used for two distinct highways: He was born in Scotland and came to Upper Canada in 1791 to seek employment with his cousin, Robert Hamilton (Robert Hamilton (judge)). In 1796, he opened a store in Queenston (Queenston, Ontario). He then formed a partnership with Samuel Street (Samuel Street, Jr.) to transport goods around Niagara Falls. He owned docks and storage facilities at Queenston, Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario) and Fort Erie (Fort Erie, Ontario). In 1800, when Street left the partnership, he formed a new partnership with Robert Nichol (Robert Nichol (Canadian politician)) transporting and trading in goods which lasted until 1803. In the same year, he was appointed justice of the peace. Around 1808, he set up several large flour mill (gristmill)ing complexes with Samuel Street. Besides his partnership with Street, Clark also had an agreement with John Jacob Astor and others for the shipping and sale of flour. He was born in Dumfries, Scotland around 1775. When his father's business encountered financial hardship, Thomas and his brothers travelled to Upper Canada to seek work with their cousin Robert Hamilton (Robert Hamilton (judge)). In 1793, Dickson opened his own shop in Fort Erie (Fort Erie, Ontario) to supply goods to the military and fur traders. In 1796, he relocated to Queenston (Queenston, Ontario). In 1800, he was named justice of the peace in the Niagara District (Niagara District, Upper Canada). History The GGR was organized in 1895 as the Niagara Falls & Lewiston. It was reorganized and became the Niagara Gorge Railroad and operated until a Rock Slide on September 17, 1935. The Great Gorge Route was part of the "Niagara Gorge Belt Line". This service was jointly with the IRC "Canadian Scenic Route" on the Canadian side of the River from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Queenston, Ontario. Crossings were made on the Falls View Bridge in Niagara Falls and the Lewiston-Queenston Suspension Bridge. The IRC in Niagara Falls interchanged with the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto (NS&T), Canadian National; Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway; Pere Marquette Railway and New York Central subsidiary Michigan Central Railroad.
Highway 26 (Ontario) from Owen Sound eastwards towards Meaford, Ontario. * Toronto Fire Services fire boat William Lyon Mackenzie (fireboat) is also named in his honour. * Mackenzie's early 19th century home in Queenston, Ontario has been restored and is now the Mackenzie Printery and Newspaper Museum. The museum includes a working mid 19th century printing shop, and features displays of printing equipment and technology ranging over a 500 year period. The museum
: the funniest quips from city hall’s mystery tweeter, who was unmasked (sort of) this week" . ''Toronto Life'', May 20, 2010. The feed was eventually revealed to have been written by Shawn Micallef, a journalist for the publications ''Eye Weekly'' and ''Spacing (Spacing (magazine))''. news national toronto revealed-the-true-identity-of-twitters-rebel-mayor article1787162 "Revealed: The true identity of Twitter's Rebel Mayor
; ref There is no supporting evidence for the claim and most biographers consider it apocryphal. Another legend, that of Brock's horse Alfred, was first published in 1859. The horse was supposedly shot and killed during the battle while being ridden by Macdonell, and it is commemorated in a monument erected in 1976 in Queenston (Queenston, Ontario) near the cairn marking the spot where Brock fell. However, again there is little supporting
Chippawa, Ontario, and Queenston, Ontario, both of which are located on the Niagara River—above and below Niagara Falls, respectively. The major roadway bisecting the peninsula is the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW). This freeway connects Toronto and the United States via New York State. It is one of the major thoroughfares for the North American trucking industry and is responsible for supporting the carriage of nearly one third of all goods imported and exported.
in the battle; the victory and his death are commemorated by an impressive stone monument (Brock's Monument) located atop the Niagara Escarpment and surmounted by a large stone statue of Brock overlooking the village below. Also nearby is a smaller monument to Brock's gray horse, Alfred. It was also the home of Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine of the 1812 war. RiverBrink Art Museum is also located in Queenston. It is home to a unique collection of over 1,400 artworks and artefacts
ago, the Niagara Falls was located between present-day Queenston, Ontario, and Lewiston, New York, but erosion of their crest has caused the waterfalls to retreat approximately wide, have
Monument to Memory of Laura Secord date 27 June 1901 page 3 Secord's grave marker at Drummond Hill Cemetery ( ) is inscribed: ''To perpetuate the name and fame of Laura Secord, who walked alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous difficult and perilous route, through woods and swamps and over miry roads to warn a British outpost at DeCew’s Falls of an intended attack and thereby enabled Lt. FitzGibbon on the 24th June 1813, with less than 50 men of H.M. 49th
thumb 350px A c. 1805 watercolour by army surgeon Edward Walsh (Image:Edward Walsh - Queenstown, Upper Canada on the Niagara (a.k.a. Queenston, Ontario).jpg) '''Queenston''' is a community located 5 km north of Niagara Falls, Ontario in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is bordered by Highway 405 (Ontario Highway 405) and the Niagara River; its location on the Niagara Escarpment led to the establishment of the now-defunct Queenston Quarry in the area. Across the river and the American border is the village of Lewiston, New York (Lewiston (village), New York). The two communities, and countries, are linked by the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge.
Queenston was first settled in the 1770s by United Empire Loyalist refugees and immigrants from the United States. During the War of 1812, British, Mohawk (Mohawk nation) and Canadian colonial troops repelled an American invasion force here in the Battle of Queenston Heights. British Major-General Sir Isaac Brock was killed in the battle; the victory and his death are commemorated by an impressive stone monument (Brock's Monument) located atop the Niagara Escarpment and surmounted by a large stone statue of Brock overlooking the village below. Also nearby is a smaller monument to Brock's gray horse, Alfred. It was also the home of Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine of the 1812 war.
RiverBrink Art Museum is also located in Queenston. It is home to a unique collection of over 1,400 artworks and artefacts by Canadian and international artists, assembled by Samuel E. Weir. Completed in 1970, the building features Georgian-style architecture, including a mansard roof and gabled windows. It served as Weir's country residence, and was converted into an art museum following his death in 1981.
This village is the point where the Niagara River began eroding the Niagara Escarpment. During the ensuing 12,000 years the Falls cut an long gorge in the Escarpment southward to its present-day position. Niagara Escarpment Commission: Niagara Region
In the early 19th century, the community's name was spelled as '''Queenstown'''. Niagara Heritage Trail, Mackenzie History at Niagara Parks
Queenston marks the southern terminus of the Bruce Trail. The cairn marking the terminus of the trail is in a parking lot, about 160 metres (520 ft) from General Brock's Monument on the easterly side of the monument's park grounds.