Ptuj

What is Ptuj known for?


popular football

in brezposelnost v Občini Maribor (PDF) author Karno Krisanov page 8 date March 2007 publisher diplome.fov.uni-mb.si language Slovene accessdate 4 April 2011 Still, the people remained loyal to the club. The club is by far the most popular football team in the country and is, in number of football supporters, second only to the Slovenia national football team. Besides the city of Maribor and the surrounding area, the club also has a large fan base in the regions of Styria (Lower Styria) ('' WikiPedia: Ptuj Commons:Category:Ptuj


special training

be today's Sveti Martin na Muri or nearby Lendava (Lendva). thumb Johann Puch (File:Janez Puh.jpg) '''Johann Puch''' is the incorrect (Germanised) name for Janez Puh (June 27, 1862 in Sakušak near Ptuj – July 19, 1914 in Zagreb ) a Slovenian inventor and mechanic who went on to become a very significant vehicle producer in Europe. He completed special training as a locksmith (his only formal education) and lived and worked most of his younger life in multi-national Styria (Styria (duchy)), then part of Austria-Hungary. * WikiPedia: Ptuj Commons:Category:Ptuj


872

Rogoznica 3867 - align right Grajena 2390 - align right Spuhlja 872 Landmarks thumb Ptuj Town Hall (File:Ptuj Town Hall.JPG) * Ptuj Castle * St. George's Church (St. George's Church, Ptuj) * Little Castle (Little Castle, Ptuj) * Ptuj Town Hall * Ptuj Town Theatre * Town Tower (Town Tower, Ptuj) * Dominican monastery (Dominican monastery, Ptuj) * Orpheus Monument * Franciscan monastery (Franciscan monastery, Ptuj) * Upper Mansion * St


dedication

) Matres also appear on votive reliefs and inscriptions in other areas occupied by the Roman army, including southeast Gaul, as at Bibracte (''illustration''); in Spain and Portugal, where some twenty inscriptions are known, among them several ones which include local epithets like a dedication to the ''Matribus Gallaicis'' "to the Galician (Galicia (Spain)) Mothers" CIL II 2776. ; and also in the Romano (Ancient Rome)-Celtic culture of Pannonia

area of Roman Poetovio (in what is today part of the Breg neighbourhood of Ptuj). The temple, built in the mid-3rd century, contains mainly sacrificial altars, with dedications of soldiers belonging to the Roman legions under Flavius Aprus. The temple consists of three sections, of which the central one is lowered. On the wall opposite the entrance is a fresco, a copy of the altar relief from the Mithras Shrine in Osterburken in Germany. The dedication stones show a variety of artistic


military commercial

in the Roman period. The name originates in the times of Emperor Trajan, who granted the settlement city status and named it ''Colonia Ulpia Traiana Poetovio''. Roman Poetovio developed into an important military, commercial, customs and administrative center. Forty thousand people lived in the Ptuj area in this period, a number never since reached. It was later burned by the Huns and occupied by the Avars and the Slavs. In the period of the Slav prince Pribina, it was incorporated into the Frankish state. Later, it became the property of the Salzburg archdiocese and experienced the Hungarian attacks. The city recovered and when city rights were granted, it was able to build a wall around the city. The first city statutes from 1376 provided the legal regulation of the city and contributed to its economic power. Sadly, this declined under the pressure of Turkish attacks and major fires, floods, and epidemics. Today, it is an important center of the lower Podravje region of Slovenia. It is a city of fairs, wine cellars and thermal springs. Get in By car, Ptuj can be reached from Maribor and the A1 highway by the A4 highway. There are also frequent bus and train connections between the two cities. There are also bus and train connections to Ljubljana. Eurobusways do a transfer to Ptuj, on the way between Budapest and Ljubljana. You can see a regional bus timetable here. Get around See thumb right 250px The town tower (Image:Ptuj tower.jpg) * WikiPedia: Ptuj Commons:Category:Ptuj


number

, the number and the percentage of those identifying as Germans in the city, which was renamed Ptuj, decreased rapidly, although a relatively strong ethnic German minority remained. After the invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941, Ptuj was occupied by Nazi Germany. From 1941 to 1944 the town's Slovenian population was dispossessed and deported. Their homes were taken over by German speakers from South Tyrol and the Gottschee County, who had themselves been evicted according

. Oswald's Church, Ptuj St. Oswald's Church The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to Saint George and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Maribor. It is a three-naved Gothic (Gothic architecture) building from the 13th and early 14th century, but the structure incorporates parts of a much earlier structure, dating to the mid-9th century. Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 582 ref

area around Apače on the Austrian border. The second largest ethnic German community in Slovenia was the predominantly rural Gottschee County around Kočevje in Lower Carniola, south of Ljubljana. Smaller numbers of ethnic Germans also lived in Ljubljana and in some western villages in the Prekmurje region. In 1931, the total number of ethnic Germans in Slovenia was around 28,000: around half of them lived in Styria and in Prekmurje, while the other half lived


traditional wooden

symbol for a wider local community, region and even the state. - '''Ožbaltov sejem (Oswald's fair)''' Ožbaltov sejem (Oswald's fair) in the old town of Ptuj happens once a year, on the 5th August (except if it is Sunday, then it happens on Monday, the 6th). It is very interesting and you can see (and buy) almost everything - traditional wooden products, traditional products made of honey, dried fruits, clothes, antiquities and many more (and more and more :) Whatever you do, don't forget to bargain


important connection

is industrialized and best known for the Talum aluminium-smelting factory (aluminium smelter). The town developed due to the industry in the area and is an example of urban planning in the late 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 22209 The main international road going through the centre of Nedelišće is an important connection between Croatia, Hungary and Slovenia


local band

in the town of Ptuj. They play in the Slovenian Regional League. On Shrove Sunday, 27 February 1960, the first organised event called ''Kurentovanje'' was held in Ptuj featuring the traditional carnival masks from Markovci lined up in a carnival procession. At the sound of music played by a local band, the ones leading the procession were dancing spearmen followed by ploughmen, »rusa«, a bear, fairies, cockerels and Kurents. The performance and customs of each traditional mask were


political views

with a doctorate in theology from the University of Graz in 1905. He was friends with Janez Evangelist Krek and adopted his political views. '''Saint Victorinus of Pettau''' or of '''Poetovio''' (died 303 or 304) was a Catholic (Roman Catholic Church) ecclesiastical writer who flourished about 270, and who was martyred during the persecutions of Emperor Diocletian. A Bishop of Poetovio (modern Ptuj in Slovenia; ) in Pannonia, Victorinus is also

Ptuj

'''Ptuj''' ( ) is a town in northeastern Slovenia. Traditionally the area was part of the Styria (Lower Styria) region.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017