Palms, Los Angeles

What is Palms, Los Angeles known for?


line light

was midway between Los Angeles and Santa Monica (Santa Monica, California) on the Los Angeles and Independence Railroad (now the Expo line (Expo Line (Los Angeles Metro)) light rail line.). Before the massive urban growth engendered by the Los Angeles Aqueduct, Palms lay within a farming and ranching area. Since 1886 File:The Palms Depot Sign.jpg thumb Station sign from The Palms train depot now located in Heritage Square Museum


main local

''') * Brief note about historical roots founding * Nicknames, if notable * Primary industries supporting its economy (e.g. service, manufacturing, tourism, etc...) * Notable unique characteristics and characteristics commonly associated with it Names of the city should be given in each of the city's official languages. Pronunciation of the city name should be in IPA as per Help:IPA for English, though can also be in the main local language(s) if thought helpful. -- History


single family

it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, ribbons of commercial zoning and a quiet single-family residential area in its northwest corner. !-- This section should follow the guidelines specified under WP:LEAD. Additionally, a couple of items should be included in the lead section for city articles, including: * Name of city and location in state * City proper population ('''US Census numbers only''') * Metro population ('''US Census numbers only

; In ancestry, Mexican (13.1%) and Irish (4.3%) were the most common, with about 40.4% being foreign-born (average for the city). Mexico (17.3%) and Korea (5.9%) were the most common foreign places of birth. Housing thumb right Palms's high density contrasts against lower density of surrounding neighborhoods. Potential routes of the Metro Expo light-rail line are shown in aqua. (File:Expo diversion.png) Until the early 1960s, most of Palms was single-family homes<

name MappingLAPalms The upscale Westside Village district contains the only significant remaining concentration of owner-occupied single-family homes, largely constructed by developer Fritz Burns in assembly-line style just before World War II; most of these houses have been expanded during their lifetime, and some have been replaced in recent years by bigger, two-story dwellings. Apartment buildings, including two UCLA family- and graduate-student housing complexes, line even Westside


service manufacturing

''') * Brief note about historical roots founding * Nicknames, if notable * Primary industries supporting its economy (e.g. service, manufacturing, tourism, etc...) * Notable unique characteristics and characteristics commonly associated with it Names of the city should be given in each of the city's official languages. Pronunciation of the city name should be in IPA as per Help:IPA for English, though can also be in the main local language(s) if thought helpful. -- History


largest industry

&sid 22&Fmt 10&clientId 13322&RQT 309&VName HNP "Here Are the Hundred and Twelve Aspirants for the City's Fifteen Councilmanic Seats," ''Los Angeles Times,'' May 3, 1925, page 7 The largest industry in the area is the combined Ports of Long Beach (Port of Long Beach) and Los Angeles (Port of Los Angeles). There is also a large Shell Oil refinery (oil refinery) in nearby Wilmington (Wilmington, Los Angeles) and the massive Intermodal Container Transfer Facility (ICTF) on the neighborhood's western edge. The neighborhood is a mix of older residential housing, apartments and townhouses, and industrial buildings. The primary thoroughfare is Santa Fe Avenue, which runs north to south through the center of the neighborhood. The neighborhood has three official parks, including Silverado Park (Silverado Park, Long Beach, California). :: many sources name Woodbine park in Palms, Los Angeles, as the site of this shooting-- In 2010 a renewed 12.39 acre park, named after Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, was completed next to Cabrillo High School.


vast+rich

2, 1914, Part II, Page 1. and on May 4, 1915, Los Angeles voters approved the annexation of the Palms district, as well as that of the extensive San Fernando Valley. "City Adds to Itself Vast, Rich Territory," ''Los Angeles Times,'' May 5, 1915, Part I, Page 6. Both Palms and the Valley entered Los Angeles on May 22, 1915. Naming The ''Travelers' Handbook to Southern California,'' published in 1904, stated that "The Palms"


white people

in Los Angeles. Residents were 38.3% white (white people), 20.2% Asian (Asian-American), 12.2% African-American, 23.4% Latino, and 5.9% from other races. The median household income was $50,684, about average for the city. Almost half the residents (45.9%) had a four-year degree, which was a high figure compared to the city as a whole. The percentage of residents aged 19 to 34 was among the county's highest. ref name MappingLAPalms >


live work

of the neighborhood council. Stakeholders include not only those who live, work or own property in the district, but also a broader category of people who can claim affiliation through some other kind of activity on behalf of Palms organizations. Three from that category were elected in spring 2005 to the Representative Assembly, a 13-member governing body composed of officers chosen on a districtwide basis and representatives elected from local areas. Public safety


quot hot

and its population certain to be greatly increased soon, advocates of annexation believe the necessity for securing adequate and permanent water rights is urgent and are working diligently to secure the required two-thirds vote." &quot;Hot Fight on Annexation," ''Los Angeles Times,'' May 24, 1914, Part II, Page 1. On June 1, 1914, the annexation succeeded, by a 342–136 vote, "Palms District Votes to Annex to City," ''Los Angeles Times,'' June 2, 1914, Part II, Page 1. and on May 4, 1915, Los Angeles voters approved the annexation of the Palms district, as well as that of the extensive San Fernando Valley. "City Adds to Itself Vast, Rich Territory," ''Los Angeles Times,'' May 5, 1915, Part I, Page 6. Both Palms and the Valley entered Los Angeles on May 22, 1915. Naming The ''Travelers' Handbook to Southern California,'' published in 1904, stated that "The Palms" was "named from the number of large palms which dot the region for quite a distance near the Southern Pacific depot" Page 314 and that "The Los Angeles and Pacific road has been built via The Palms and Ocean Park to Santa Monica, making its line a belt of sixteen miles or more on each lap." Page 178 Over the decades following the turn of the 20th century, the definite article was dropped from the place name. By the 1920s, the name was simply "Palms" on local Pacific Electric transit Pacific Electric map maps. Geography Boundaries Palms has no official boundaries, Garrigues, page 11 but the "Mapping L.A." reference guide of the ''Los Angeles Times'' measures it at 1.95 square miles and places it northwest of Culver City, California Culver City , south of Cheviot Hills (Cheviot Hills, Los Angeles, California) and Beverlywood (Beverlywood, Los Angeles), southeast of Rancho Park (Rancho Park, Los Angeles, California), west of Mid-City (Mid-City, Los Angeles) and northeast of Mar Vista (Mar Vista, Los Angeles, California). The 1886 subdivision map filed with Los Angeles County showed Palms as bounded on the northeast by what would today be Manning Avenue. upright 150px thumb Irene Street, within Palms, has been placed by the city inside the Westside Neighborhood Council to the north. (File:IreneStreetSign.jpg) (It should be noted that this area includes the 10400 block of Irene Street, which has been placed by the city within the bounds of the Westside Neighborhood Council to the north. ''palmsvillage.sun.info'' ) When Palms was annexed to the city of Los Angeles in 1915, the bounds extended westward from Arlington Avenue on the southeast and about Rimpau Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard on the northeast to Pico and Exposition Boulevards on the northwest. West of Overland Avenue wasn’t annexed until 1927. Garrigues, pages 15 and 54. The portion of Palms girded by Overland, Sepulveda, National, and Charnock Road was developed just before World War II as Westside Village, Los Angeles, California Westside Village . The City of Los Angeles has posted official neighborhood signs for Westside Village, and it has its own neighborhood association—i.e., the Westside Village Homeowners Association. Palms Neighborhood Council boundaries were defined by the city to omit Westside Village (which had already been claimed by the Mar Vista Community Council) and the area north and east of National Boulevard, which went to the Westside Neighborhood Council. Petitions were passed in both districts for boundary adjustments. Garrigues, page 123. Compass Relation of Palms to nearby places, not necessarily contiguous: ''The Thomas Guide: Los Angeles County,'' 2004, page 632 and 672 "Palms," Mapping L.A., ''Los Angeles Times'' Bing maps :: many sources name Woodbine park in Palms, Los Angeles, as the site of this shooting-- In 2010 a renewed 12.39 acre park, named after Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, was completed next to Cabrillo High School.


articles including

it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, ribbons of commercial zoning and a quiet single-family residential area in its northwest corner. History Before 1886 Rancho La Ballona In Spanish and Mexican days, the area that later became Palms was a part of the Rancho La Ballona, where in 1819 Agustín and Ygnacio Machado, along with Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, acquired grazing rights to :: many sources name Woodbine park in Palms, Los Angeles, as the site of this shooting-- In 2010 a renewed 12.39 acre park, named after Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, was completed next to Cabrillo High School.

Palms, Los Angeles

'''Palms''' (originally "The Palms") is a highly diverse, densely populated community in the Westside region (Westside (Los Angeles County)) of Los Angeles, California, founded in 1886 and the oldest neighborhood annexed to the city, in 1915. The 1886 tract was marketed as an agricultural and vacation community. Garrigues, back cover. Today it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, ribbons of commercial zoning and a quiet single-family residential area in its northwest corner. !-- This section should follow the guidelines specified under WP:LEAD. Additionally, a couple of items should be included in the lead section for city articles, including:

* Name of city and location in state * City proper population ('''US Census numbers only''') * Metro population ('''US Census numbers only''') * Brief note about historical roots founding * Nicknames, if notable * Primary industries supporting its economy (e.g. service, manufacturing, tourism, etc...) * Notable unique characteristics and characteristics commonly associated with it

Names of the city should be given in each of the city's official languages. Pronunciation of the city name should be in IPA as per Help:IPA for English, though can also be in the main local language(s) if thought helpful. --

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017