Ozumba

What is Ozumba known for?


special relationship

, the Franciscans also viewed Cortés flogging as voluntary and as a sign of his piety. The depiction has two messages, one of the special relationship between the Church and the Spaniards as well as the acceptance of public punishment. Above the doorframe is an image of Francis of Assisi holding three globes that support an image of Mary Immaculate as María de Ágreda writes the Mystical city of God and Duns Scotus writes a defense of the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. This image would appear in later monasteries such as the Mission Landa in the Sierra Gorda of Querétaro, at a college in Zacatecas and another college in Mexico City. Although most are (semi) abandoned and not restored for tourists, the town has a number of other architectural and historic sites. The abandoned train station is on the Mexico City-Cuautla section of the Ferrocarril Interocianico (Inter-Ocean Railway) which connected Acapulco with Veracruz. The station was built in 1895. * In 1990 or earlier a temple in Ozumba, Mexico was built by the Apostolic United Brethren. Andrea Moore-Emmett. God's Brothel. Pince-Nez Press: June 1, 2004. ISBN 1-930074-13-1 * A pyramid-shaped temple near Modena (Modena, Utah), Utah was built by the Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


water de

the Spiritual Conquest first Guillermo last Arce Valdez publisher Exploring Colonial Mexico The Espadaña Press Web site location Mexico language Spanish accessdate 2010-02-24 The church itself inside has suffered the theft of a number of its antique pieces. The name Ozumba comes from Nahuatl meaning “over the streams of water”. “de Alzate” was added to the formal name in honor of the scientist José Antonio Alzate y Ramirez Santillana who was born here. History thumb left Font from the Ozumba church (File:FontOzumbaChurch.JPG) The first human inhabitants were hunter-gatherers of various ethnicities. Later, the presence of the Olmecs helped to form the first sedentary agrarian societies. After this, the Nahua (Nahua peoples) eventually became the dominant ethnicity. Most of these Nahuas were of the Xochimilca and Chichimeca tribes. By the 16th century, the area was firmly under the control of the Aztec Empire as a tributary province. After arriving to the Valley of Mexico, the first Spanish crossed through here on their way to Tenochtitlan. The peoples here allied themselves with the Spanish in 1521 against the Aztecs (Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire), an alliance which allowed the people here to suffer less modification of their lifestyles than in other parts of early New Spain. However, this area remained a tributary province with tribute going to the Spanish instead of the Aztecs. The area was divided into encomenderos, but the natives maintained much of their communal farmland despite efforts by hacienda owners to confiscate them. During the colonial period, the main town in this area was Chimalhuacan, generally called Chimalhuacan-Chalco. The village of Ozumba was founded in 1525 by Francisco Atlanlzincuilzin, who was its first leader. Evangelization was done by the Franciscans at the end of the 16th century, when the monastery was most likely established here. The earliest parts of the building date from this time. The first formal church parish was established here in 1606, according to the first records of baptism, which dates from 1621. In this book, which extends to 1650, the baptisms of the indigenous are recorded in Nahuatl and those of the Europeans in Spanish. Ozumba was under the religious jurisdiction of Tlalmanalco. The bishops and other administrators eventually ceased being monks, with these duties handed over to regular clergy. From 1773 to 1813, a large number of priests were assigned to the parish, which only two staying long term. During the Mexican War of Independence, Morelos’ (José María Morelos) success in Cuautla forced viceroy Felix Calleja to retreat to Ozumba with more than 200 wounded. After Independence and the erection of the State of Mexico, Ozumba became a municipality in 1825, when the area had about 4,000 inhabitants. “de Alzarte” was added to the official name in 1879. From 1860 to 1870, the area was plagued by a bandit group known as Los Plateados. The first train arrived in 1882, connecting Ozumba with the outside world, especially Cuautla and Mexico City. This contact resulted in the replacement of Nahuatl with Spanish as the dominant language. During the Mexican Revolution, Ozumba was on the border of lands controlled by the government and those controlled by the rebels, leading to significant violence here, including the derailment of the train by Zapatista troops. Ozumba remained mostly in government hands, but the Zapatistas (Liberation Army of the South) attacked frequently, capturing it for brief periods on two occasions. The violence ended in 1917, and the town has been mostly quiet since. The original municipal palace was demolished in the 1950s and replaced with the current one. The municipal market (Traditional fixed markets in Mexico) was constructed in the 1970s. Violence returned to the town when gunmen, presumably from “La Familia Michoacana” drug cartel, shot up municipal president Luis Alfredo Galicia Arrieta’s house in the town in the middle of the night in December 2009. * In 1990 or earlier a temple in Ozumba, Mexico was built by the Apostolic United Brethren. Andrea Moore-Emmett. God's Brothel. Pince-Nez Press: June 1, 2004. ISBN 1-930074-13-1 * A pyramid-shaped temple near Modena (Modena, Utah), Utah was built by the Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


paintings

King David due to theft. Although extremely ornate, this piece is considered to be part of the “sober” Baroque tradition (Baroque architecture). The entire altarpiece is gilded and the main feature is the repeating Solomonic Baroque columns (Solomonic column). Other colonial altarpieces in various styles line the nave and stand in the side chapels, some with paintings by well known Mexican artists such as Juan

sides. It contains niches, some of which are now empty. These contained images such as those of San Hugo and the Immaculate Conception. The altarpiece was done by a sculptor named Domingo and contains two of his paintings. At the top are paintings done by someone named Arellano. Some aspects of the altars are modern such as the statue of Thérèse de Lisieux. Originally, there was a statue of Anthony of Padua here. Unfortunately, this church, along

with a number of others in the area, has suffered the theft of artwork. This have included statues of saints, altar items and paintings such as “The Transit of the Virgin” which was stolen in the 1990s. thumb Mural of the "Martyred Children" (File:ChildMartyrsOzumba.JPG) The monastery area is to the right of the church. The main entrance is a “portería” or an arched, colonnaded entry. Inside this portería are murals depicting scenes from the early


major scenes

evangelization efforts by the Franciscans in Mexico. It has been theorized that this portería originally served as the monastery’s chapel and where evangelization efforts were concentrated. This would explain the six major scenes which are depicted on the walls. These murals are all that is left of the monastery’s original decoration from the 16th century. The murals were retouched in the mid 19th century. They are one of the earliest examples of Rubens motif (Peter Paul Rubens) in the New World and contain one of the very few depictions of Peter of Ghent. On the left hand side is a depiction of Hernán Cortés greeting the arrival of the first twelve Franciscan monks to arrive to Tenochtitlan-Mexico City. These friars had walked barefoot from Veracruz (Veracruz, Veracruz) on the Gulf coast, 250 to the east. Cortés greets them on the causeway leading into the city as the head of a retinue of conquistadors and high ranking Aztec nobles. The Aztecs show surprise when Cortés and the other Spaniards bow to the monks. To the right of the main door is a depicted of the “Niños Mártires” or child martyrs of Tlaxcala. According to the story, in 1527, Axotecatl, one of the four lords of Tlaxcala, sent his sons to be educated by the Franciscans. Then the boys returned, they had converted to Christianity and began to smash native idols and scolding their father for his polygamy and drinking. The lord beat one son, who the Spaniards named Cristobal, and then burned him to death. The other two boys fled but continued to preach until they met a martyr’s fate. This scene not only shows martyrdom but also shows how the Franciscans invested in childhood education and even suggests that they may have loved the boys more than their own parents. To the far right is a relative rare scene of Cortés being flagellated, which depicts a story from Texcoco (Texcoco (altepetl)). According to the story, an Indian missed mass and was punished by public flogging, prompting an angry response from the native community. To pacify the situation, Cortés arranged with the friars to arrive late to Mass and to receive the flogging in front of the natives. The idea was to show that the punishment was impartial. However, the Franciscans also viewed Cortés flogging as voluntary and as a sign of his piety. The depiction has two messages, one of the special relationship between the Church and the Spaniards as well as the acceptance of public punishment. Above the doorframe is an image of Francis of Assisi holding three globes that support an image of Mary Immaculate as María de Ágreda writes the Mystical city of God and Duns Scotus writes a defense of the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. This image would appear in later monasteries such as the Mission Landa in the Sierra Gorda of Querétaro, at a college in Zacatecas and another college in Mexico City. Although most are (semi) abandoned and not restored for tourists, the town has a number of other architectural and historic sites. The abandoned train station is on the Mexico City-Cuautla section of the Ferrocarril Interocianico (Inter-Ocean Railway) which connected Acapulco with Veracruz. The station was built in 1895. * In 1990 or earlier a temple in Ozumba, Mexico was built by the Apostolic United Brethren. Andrea Moore-Emmett. God's Brothel. Pince-Nez Press: June 1, 2004. ISBN 1-930074-13-1 * A pyramid-shaped temple near Modena (Modena, Utah), Utah was built by the Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


scenes

monastery in the 16th century. The entrance to the cloister area contains murals related to the early evangelization efforts of this order. They include scenes such as Hernán Cortés greeting the first Franciscan missionaries in Mexico, the martyrdom of some of the first young converts to Christianity and even a scene where the monks are flogging Cortés.

to rest, and children are allowed to play in the area as well as to see the murals painted in the side entrance. thumb Facade of the church (File:FacadeOzumbaChurch2.JPG) The '''Church of Nuestra Señora de la Inmaculada''' Conception began as a Franciscan monastery established in the 16th century. Only the side entrance and columns of the church date from the 16th century

. The rest, including the church, dates from the 17th century to the early 18th century. This latter construction was due to the dilapidated condition of the original church, which was rebuilt, starting in 1696. The tower was constructed in 1717 by architects Juan Perez and Juan Ventura.


quot small

pueblear el fin de semana first Luis last Romo newspaper Reforma location Mexico City date 2001-09-09 page 14 language Spanish trans_title Volcano Route:To "small town" the weekend thumb Main altar (File:MainAltarOzumba.JPG) The main altarpiece completely covers the wall behind the main altar. The center part of the cut out and replaced by a Neoclassical (Neoclassical architecture) one. Its restoration to a more original appearance is relatively recent


architectural

of the Immaculate Conception. This image would appear in later monasteries such as the Mission Landa in the Sierra Gorda of Querétaro, at a college in Zacatecas and another college in Mexico City. Although most are (semi) abandoned and not restored for tourists, the town has a number of other architectural and historic sites. The abandoned train station is on the Mexico City-Cuautla section of the Ferrocarril Interocianico (Inter-Ocean Railway

in the social, political and economic fields during the intellectual movement of Mexico in the 18th century. The scientist’s childhood home is also located here. Colonial era constructions include the Juan Rulfo house, the Casa de la Nueva York and the Chapel of San Francisco, one of the oldest churches in the municipality. Rodolfo Ortega house is representative of the architectural style of the municipality.

http: www.ozumba.gob.mx index.php?option com_wrapper&Itemid 67 title Atractivos arquitecturales publisher Municipality of Ozumba location Ozumba, Mexico language Spanish trans_title Architectural attractions accessdate 2010-02-24 The municipal market is located on the main road in front of the church. It is a typical rural market of Mexico State selling basic necessities such as foods, seed, grain and even cattle. Particularly


depictions

;pueblear" They are one of the earliest examples of Rubens motif (Peter Paul Rubens) in the New World and contain one of the very few depictions of Peter of Ghent. On the left hand side is a depiction of Hernán Cortés greeting the arrival of the first twelve Franciscan monks to arrive to Tenochtitlan-Mexico City. These friars had walked barefoot from Veracruz (Veracruz, Veracruz) on the Gulf coast, 250 to the east. Cortés greets them


site location

the Spiritual Conquest first Guillermo last Arce Valdez publisher Exploring Colonial Mexico The Espadaña Press Web site location Mexico language Spanish accessdate 2010-02-24 The church itself inside has suffered the theft of a number of its antique pieces. The name Ozumba comes from Nahuatl meaning “over the streams of water”. “de Alzate” was added to the formal name in honor of the scientist José Antonio Alzate y Ramirez

Arce Valdez publisher Exploring Colonial Mexico© The Espadaña Press Web site location Mexico language Spanish accessdate 2010-02-24 Baptismal records indicate that this monastery church became the parish church of the area in the 17th century.


original appearance

pueblear el fin de semana first Luis last Romo newspaper Reforma location Mexico City date 2001-09-09 page 14 language Spanish trans_title Volcano Route:To "small town" the weekend thumb Main altar (File:MainAltarOzumba.JPG) The main altarpiece completely covers the wall behind the main altar. The center part of the cut out and replaced by a Neoclassical (Neoclassical architecture) one. Its restoration to a more original appearance is relatively recent

Ozumba

'''Ozumba''' is a town and municipality located in the southeast portion of the Valley of Mexico, 70 km southeast of Mexico City near the Mexico City-Cuautla (Cuautla, Morelos) highway. The church itself inside has suffered the theft of a number of its antique pieces. The name Ozumba comes from Nahuatl meaning “over the streams of water”. “de Alzate” was added to the formal name in honor of the scientist José Antonio Alzate y Ramirez Santillana who was born here.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017