Orson, Pennsylvania

What is Orson, Pennsylvania known for?


record quot

; Company page 711 accessdate 17 December 2014 or 1840 founder Merritt Hine named_for Orson C. Chamberlain ref name "Orson Chamberlain

;Goodrich. p. 244. ) of Woodbridge, Connecticut, in either 1831 or 1840. He was the son of David Hine, who relocated to Pennsylvania sometime after his

son was established there. Like many of the early settlers of Wayne County, the elder Hine was a veteran of the Revolutionary War (American Revolutionary War), having served in the Continental Army. In its early days, the settlement was known as Hine's Corners, and was situated around what is now the intersection of Clark and Oxbow Roads. "Hines Corners" long, rises in northern Wayne County near Orson (Orson, Pennsylvania) and flows south-southeast. After a confluence with Johnson Creek, it flows southeast through Prompton Lake reservoir, to its confluence with Van Auken Creek to form the main stem. Gertler, Edward. ''Keystone Canoeing'', Seneca Press, 2004. ISBN 0-9749692-0-6


570

, Pennsylvania Thompson ) 18470 (Union Dale (Union Dale, Pennsylvania)) area_code 570 (Area code 570) blank_name GNIS (Geographic Names Information System) feature ID blank_info 1183050 blank1_name FIPS code (Federal Information Processing Standard) blank1_info 42-127-62600 -57144 ref name "


white amp'

website Wayne County, PA - Public Tax Information publisher Wayne County, Pennsylvania accessdate 5 December 2014 This new area was dubbed "Elkview," after Elk Hill (North Knob) (often called Elk Mountain White & Dolph. 137. ) in Tirzah, Pennsylvania (Herrick Township, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania#Communities), which


large part

. location New York publisher A. Pomeroy & Co. page 16 The population subsisted in large part on agriculture (Agriculture in the United States), dairying (Dairy farming#United States), and ice harvesting, the last of which was facilitated by the large number of lakes in the area. The Hine's Corners United Methodist Church

, and several hotels and stores, created in large part to serve the influx of people brought to and through Orson by the O&W. Summer camp industry The depot was abandoned in 1957 after the O&W went bankrupt (Bankruptcy), and this event largely marked the end of Orson's importance outside of its contiguity. Many of the village's business establishments closed soon after the railroad did, with the notable exception of the summer camps that would


zip code

gnis id 1183050 name Orson entrydate 2 August 1979 accessdate 4 November 2014 coordinates_display % postal_code_type ZIP codes postal_code ''De jure'' 18449

ow-trail---pa.aspx title O&W Trail – PA author date 2014 website TrailLink publisher Rails-to-Trails Conservancy accessdate 4 November 2014 maintained by the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, runs through Orson. Orson Post Office and ZIP code situation The previously mentioned Orson Post Office is on Belmont Turnpike, just under a mile south of the intersection of Belmont

url http: www.savethepostoffice.com post-offices-under-suspension-%E2%80%A8112012 title Post Offices Under Suspension (as of 1 1 2012) author date 3 February 2012 website Save the Post Office publisher Steve Hutkins accessdate 13 November 2014 and no longer provides postal services. The last entity to use Orson's ZIP code, 18449 (which retains legal status because the post office has not been officially Discontinued post office


big time

June 2001 title Camp Reunion Paunchy, Poignant url http: articles.latimes.com 2001 jun 20 news cl-12521 newspaper Los Angeles Times location Los Angeles accessdate 23 November 2014 when they were consolidated into one coeducational (Mixed-sex education), Jewish

-sleepaway-camp-to-the-big-time-courts-larry-brown-leads-the-way newspaper Jewish Telegraphic Agency location Baltimore accessdate 23 November 2014 camp that seems to have been administratively distinct from them, but was nevertheless also called Camp Keeyumah. The latter Keeyumah was open until 1974. Around 1979,


past amp

Stations author date 2014 website Pennsylvania Railroad Stations Past & Present publisher Dan West accessdate 4 November 2014 the latter being a variant name (Variant name (geography)) for Belmont Corners. The Orson Belmont depot, which had the call letters (Call sign) "BM," was located a few yards south of what is now the intersection of Belmont Turnpike


association quot

been known as New England Experience, and had been located in Avon, Connecticut, from 1983 to 1992.

title Guide to Accredited Camps url http: books.google.com books?id inBYAAAAYAAJ&q avon location Martinsville, IN publisher American Camping Association page 72 date 1991 accessdate 23 November 2014 It had originally been associated with French Woods Festival of the Performing Arts, a still-operating performing arts-oriented camp in Hancock, New York. NE2 had always been known alternatively as Independent Lake Camp, long, rises in northern Wayne County near Orson (Orson, Pennsylvania) and flows south-southeast. After a confluence with Johnson Creek, it flows southeast through Prompton Lake reservoir, to its confluence with Van Auken Creek to form the main stem. Gertler, Edward. ''Keystone Canoeing'', Seneca Press, 2004. ISBN 0-9749692-0-6


independent location

people in the area. The community came to be known as Orson Corners (virtually always shortened to Orson) in his honor, and the post office was accordingly renamed "Orson Post Office" on September 19, 1896

, and the latter was open from 1924 to 1956. Both were generally referred to as "Orson School," although at least one source refers to the fourth school as "Simpson School." The building that once housed this last school is still standing and has been converted into a private


school high

residence. Today, Orson, along with the rest of Preston Township, is in Region I (Wayne Highlands School District#Region I) of the Wayne Highlands School District. The closest school to Orson is the Preston Area School (Wayne Highlands School District#Schools) in Lakewood, which serves pupils grades K-8 (K-8 School). For high school (Secondary education in the United States#High school)-aged students, Honesdale High School serves the entire

Orson, Pennsylvania

'''Orson''' is a village (Local government in Pennsylvania#Village) in Preston Township (Preston Township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania), Wayne County (Wayne County, Pennsylvania), Pennsylvania. It was once an important depot (Train station) of the Scranton Division of the New York, Ontario & Western (O&W) Railway (New York, Ontario and Western Railway#History), but today, when it is known outside of its immediate vicinity, it is largely for being the site of the intersection (Intersection (road)) of two state roads (List of State Routes in Pennsylvania), Belmont Turnpike (partially concurrent (Concurrency (road)) with Pennsylvania Route 670, or PA-670) and Crosstown Highway (entirely concurrent with PA-370 (Pennsylvania Route 370)), or as the location of Independent Lake Camp (ILC), since ILC's reputation and commercial reach, like those of most rural (Rural area) American summer camps (Summer camp#United States), extend beyond the community in which the camp is physically located.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017