Northfield, Minnesota

What is Northfield, Minnesota known for?


early agricultural

Press year 2002 location Canada pages 109 url http: shop.mnhs.org moreinfomhspress.cfm?Product_ID 139 isbn 0-87351-424-6 in 1855. Northfield was founded by immigrants from New England known as "Yankees" as part of a New England colonization of what was then the far west. The Minds of the West: Ethnocultural Evolution in the Rural Middle West, 1830-1917 page 339 Northfield was an early agricultural center with many wheat and corn (maize) farms. The town also supported lumber and flour mills powered by the Cannon River (Cannon River (Minnesota)). As the "wheat frontier" moved west, dairy operations and diversified farms replaced the wheat-based agriculture. The region has since moved away from dairy and beef operations. Today it produces substantial crops of corn, and soybeans, as well as producing hog (Hog (swine))s. The local cereal producer Malt-O-Meal is one of the few remnants of Northfield's historic wheat boom. The city's motto, "Cows, Colleges, and Contentment", reflects the influence of the dairy farms. Since early in its history, Northfield has been a center of higher education. Carleton College (then Northfield College) was founded in 1866 on the northern edge of town by the Minnesota Conference of Congregational Churches whose Congregation consisted of the "Yankee" settlers who had largely founded the town. These were people descended from the English Puritans who settled New England in the 1600s. The expansion of New England: the spread of New England settlement and institutions to the Mississippi River, 1620-1865 St. Olaf College was founded in 1874 on the western edge of town by Norwegian (Norwegian people) Lutheran immigrant pastors and farmers, who were eager to preserve their faith and culture by training teachers and preachers. These two institutions, which today enroll a total of more than 5,000 students, make Northfield a college town. In the 1970s, construction was completed of Interstate Highway 35 (Interstate 35) (six miles west of Northfield) enabled the expansion of the Minneapolis–Saint Paul metro area south of the Minnesota River. Northfield is now growing and urbanizing. '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.


association research

and Performance of Choral Music from the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he studied with Joan Catoni Conlon, Lawrence Kaptein, Lynn Whitten, William Kearns, and Alan Luhring. He worked as a text reviewer for the Text Creation Partnership at the University of Michigan and as staff editor for the Kurt Weill Foundation in New York City. He is a member of the American Choral Directors Association Research and Publications Committee. From 1997 to 2011 he


amp brand

* Northfield History Collaborative *amp;brand cms&count 25&displaymode list&field q&historicgroup all&sort desc&type%5B%5D Photographs James-Younger Gang photos at the Minnesota Historical Society *amp;brand cms&count 25&displaymode


high line

from the present area of Hwy 100 and Hwy 55 to the edge of downtown Minneapolis (Minneapolis, Minnesota), and along that spur had connections to the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway and Great Northern Railway (Great Northern Railway (U.S.)). In addition, the original passenger "High Line" ran from Auto Club Junction in Bloomington through Richfield and into south Minneapolis, ending just north of the current Crosstown (Minnesota State Highway 62 (east)) freeway. Much

of the St. Olaf Choir of St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota, USA from 1912 to 1944. Christiansen was considered a pioneer in the art of a cappella (unaccompanied) choral music. Christiansen composed and arranged over 250 musical selections (List of Compositions by F. Melius Christiansen) and his choral techniques were spread throughout the U.S. by St. Olaf graduates. The great Christiansen choral tradition is a recognized feature of American Lutheranism. * The "High

Line" or alternately "Dan Patch Line" in Bloomington, Minnesota, Richfield, Minnesota, and Minneapolis, Minnesota, beginning at Auto Club Yard in Bloomington and serving a variety of industries * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) to Lakeville, leased CP Rail trackage * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) to Faribault, Minnesota, leased Union Pacific trackage * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) to Lakeville, leased CP Rail trackage * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) to Faribault, Minnesota, leased Union Pacific trackage * Northfield to Cannon Falls, Minnesota, with service to the Great Western Industrial Park in Randolph, Minnesota Joining the gang In November 1881, James moved his family to St. Joseph, Missouri. He intended to give up crime but first wanted to stage one last robbery at Blue Cut, Missouri. The James gang had been greatly reduced in numbers by that time. Some had fled the gang in fear of prosecution, and many of the original members were either dead or in prison after a botched robbery (Jesse James Northfield Raid) in Northfield, Minnesota. After the train robbery, Frank James decided to retire from crime, settling in Lynchburg, Virginia. '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.


musical arts

. Olaf College in Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota), Minnesota. In 1983 he completed a Master's degree at the University of Iowa in Trombone Performance. He completed his doctorate Musical Arts in Instrumental Conducting in 1995, also from the University of Iowa. Currently, he is a professor of music at St. Olaf College and conductor of the St. Olaf Band. Mahr teaches courses in composition, music education, and conducting. She grew up in Hawaii

earned a Bachelor of Music in Composition from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. At St. Olaf he studied composition with Arthur Campbell '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.


successful campaign

became the head of Minnesota's DFL Party. In 1954 he ran successfully for the office of lieutenant governor. After serving in that capacity for eight years, Rolvaag mounted his successful campaign for governor in 1962. Lundeen was born and raised on his father's homestead in Brooklyn Township (Brooklyn Township, Lincoln County, South Dakota) of Lincoln County (Lincoln County, South Dakota) near Beresford, South Dakota. His father, C. H. Lundeen, was an early pioneer who was credited


music service

a combination of those two services). The 2005 acquisition of WCAL (KCMP) in Northfield, Minnesota, which covers the Minneapolis-St. Paul and Rochester (Rochester, Minnesota) areas, provided the opportunity to launch another music service, "The Current". This third service has gradually expanded to most of southern eastern Minnesota. About The Current Programming on The Current is mostly locally-produced. The Current is carried on seven transmitters, serving a majority of the state's population. The main transmitter is KCMP (89.3 FM), licensed to Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) on the southeastern periphery of the Twin Cities, though the signal covers most of the metro area. A lower-power station, KMSE (88.7 FM), serves Rochester (Rochester, Minnesota) and southeastern Minnesota, and KCMP translators serve Hinckley (Hinckley, Minnesota) and Mankato (Mankato, Minnesota). http: minnesota.publicradio.org radio services the_current about In addition, the station is broadcast on a HD Radio sideband channel to listeners of KNSR in St. Cloud (St. Cloud, Minnesota) and KPCC (KPCC (radio station)) in Los Angeles. The Current also streams online at http: minnesota.publicradio.org radio services the_current streams.shtml in a variety of formats. thumb right Riverside, 1876. (Image:Riverside-1876.jpg) The city was founded in the early 1870s beside the Santa Ana River by John W. North, a staunch temperance-minded abolitionist (abolitionism) from Tennessee, who had previously founded Northfield, Minnesota. A few years after, the navel orange (Orange (fruit)) was planted and found to be such a success that full-scale planting started. Riverside was temperance (Temperance movement) minded, and Republican (Republican Party (United States)). There were four saloons in Riverside when it was founded. The license fees were raised until the saloons moved out of Riverside. Brown and Boyd, Vol 2. Investors from England and Canada transplanted traditions and activities adopted by prosperous citizens. As a result, the first golf course and polo field in Southern California were built in Riverside. thumb right Riverside, 1900 (Image:Riverside-1900.jpg) History Sherrill was named for two brothers, Adam and Isaac Sherrill, and was originally called Sherrill's Mound or Mount, since the city is sited at the base of a prominent hill. In 1856, Peter Fries, an Austrian immigrant (immigration), built a large, stone inn at the main crossroads of the city. It was popular with newlyweds, and Jesse James (Jesse James (outlaw)) and his gang were reported to have stayed there prior to their famous raid on Northfield, Minnesota. The structure has survived and has been restored as the Black Horse Inn. Sherrill and the surrounding rural district received large numbers of German (German American) immigrants in the 19th century. German Catholic (Roman Catholic Church) (Ss. Peter and Paul (Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church (Sherrill))), German Lutheran (Lutheranism) (St. Matthew), German Methodist (Methodism), and German Evangelical (Evangelical and Reformed Church) churches were founded and remain active. Sherrill was one of ten "Beer Towns" incorporated in Dubuque County in 1933, to ensure that the city's taverns could serve beer, under a possibly mistaken interpretation of Iowa law that licenses to dispense beer could only be granted to premises inside incorporated places. Sherrill's post office was established in 1858, with Peter Fries as postmaster. Its Zip Code is 52073. * Lakeville (Lakeville, Minnesota) (to the north-northwest) * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) (to the south-southeast, just across the county line in Rice County (Rice County, Minnesota)) Today, the town is chiefly a bedroom community for nearby Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) and the more distant Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. The juxtaposition of Dundas and Northfield and their disparate zoning policies and attitudes toward development have led to some unusual growth patterns. Dundas is home to a number of businesses, such as an off-sale liquor store and two bars that would be unable to get licenses to operate in Northfield. Another attraction is the recently opened bistro, Fermentations '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.


young quot

– October 19, 1952), U.S. Army major general * Alexandra Holden (born April 30, 1977), actress * Jon Fried (born June 14, 1994), musician and Youtube personality under the name "Jonathan Young" * Siri Hustvedt (born February 19, 1955), author, poet, and essayist * Karl Rolvaag (July 18, 1913 – December 20, 1990), governor of Minnesota * Ole Edvart Rølvaag (April 22, 1876 – November 5, 1931), author * Gilmore Schjeldahl (June 1, 1912 – March 10, 2002), inventor


lead quot

. The CGW mainline from the Flint Hills refinery in Rosemount (Rosemount, Minnesota) to Inver Grove Heights, MN is UP's "Roseport Industrial Lead" to the refinery. The CGW main from Inver Grove Heights to downtown St Paul is an extension of UP's Albert Lea subdivision. In Iowa, the largest remaining section of the CGW is located between Waterloo and Oelwein Iowa. A portion of this section is the 23-mile line of railroad now owned by D&W Railroad between Dewar and Oelwein. In Illinois, there is a small spur east of the former crossing of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern serving a construction-materials business in West Chicago. A length of the former mainline from the DuPage Airport through St. Charles (St. Charles, Illinois), including a large bridge over the Fox River (Fox River (Illinois River tributary)), was operated by the UP as an industrial lead for several shippers including a lumber yard. UP filed to abandon the St. Charles industrial lead on 06 24 2010, and awaits the final decision. (STB docket #: AB_33_284_X). Also in Byron, a small section of trackage is used for car storage and the bridge over the Rock River (Rock River (Mississippi River)) is used to service the Byron Nuclear Generating Station. image city Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota), Minnesota area Minneapolis-St. Paul area (Template:Minneapolis-St. Paul Radio) '''KYMN''' (1080 AM (AM broadcasting)) is a radio station broadcasting a News Talk Information format. Licensed to Northfield, Minnesota, USA, the station serves the southern portion of the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. The station is currently owned by Northfield Media, Inc., owned by Jeff Johnson, long time morning show host of KYMN, and features programing from CNN Radio and Westwood One. '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.


current quot

in 2004 (November 2004). The next year, following the acquisition by MPR, WCAL was transformed into MPR's third service, "The Current". Services With the addition of later stations, MPR originally offered a mix of classical music and NPR news talk programming on a single service. Beginning in 1991 (1991 in radio), MPR's programming split in two, forming separate news and classical music services (although one station in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan still carries a combination of those two services). The 2005 acquisition of WCAL (KCMP) in Northfield, Minnesota, which covers the Minneapolis-St. Paul and Rochester (Rochester, Minnesota) areas, provided the opportunity to launch another music service, "The Current". This third service has gradually expanded to most of southern eastern Minnesota. About The Current Programming on The Current is mostly locally-produced. The Current is carried on seven transmitters, serving a majority of the state's population. The main transmitter is KCMP (89.3 FM), licensed to Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) on the southeastern periphery of the Twin Cities, though the signal covers most of the metro area. A lower-power station, KMSE (88.7 FM), serves Rochester (Rochester, Minnesota) and southeastern Minnesota, and KCMP translators serve Hinckley (Hinckley, Minnesota) and Mankato (Mankato, Minnesota). http: minnesota.publicradio.org radio services the_current about In addition, the station is broadcast on a HD Radio sideband channel to listeners of KNSR in St. Cloud (St. Cloud, Minnesota) and KPCC (KPCC (radio station)) in Los Angeles. The Current also streams online at http: minnesota.publicradio.org radio services the_current streams.shtml in a variety of formats. thumb right Riverside, 1876. (Image:Riverside-1876.jpg) The city was founded in the early 1870s beside the Santa Ana River by John W. North, a staunch temperance-minded abolitionist (abolitionism) from Tennessee, who had previously founded Northfield, Minnesota. A few years after, the navel orange (Orange (fruit)) was planted and found to be such a success that full-scale planting started. Riverside was temperance (Temperance movement) minded, and Republican (Republican Party (United States)). There were four saloons in Riverside when it was founded. The license fees were raised until the saloons moved out of Riverside. Brown and Boyd, Vol 2. Investors from England and Canada transplanted traditions and activities adopted by prosperous citizens. As a result, the first golf course and polo field in Southern California were built in Riverside. thumb right Riverside, 1900 (Image:Riverside-1900.jpg) History Sherrill was named for two brothers, Adam and Isaac Sherrill, and was originally called Sherrill's Mound or Mount, since the city is sited at the base of a prominent hill. In 1856, Peter Fries, an Austrian immigrant (immigration), built a large, stone inn at the main crossroads of the city. It was popular with newlyweds, and Jesse James (Jesse James (outlaw)) and his gang were reported to have stayed there prior to their famous raid on Northfield, Minnesota. The structure has survived and has been restored as the Black Horse Inn. Sherrill and the surrounding rural district received large numbers of German (German American) immigrants in the 19th century. German Catholic (Roman Catholic Church) (Ss. Peter and Paul (Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church (Sherrill))), German Lutheran (Lutheranism) (St. Matthew), German Methodist (Methodism), and German Evangelical (Evangelical and Reformed Church) churches were founded and remain active. Sherrill was one of ten "Beer Towns" incorporated in Dubuque County in 1933, to ensure that the city's taverns could serve beer, under a possibly mistaken interpretation of Iowa law that licenses to dispense beer could only be granted to premises inside incorporated places. Sherrill's post office was established in 1858, with Peter Fries as postmaster. Its Zip Code is 52073. * Lakeville (Lakeville, Minnesota) (to the north-northwest) * Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) (to the south-southeast, just across the county line in Rice County (Rice County, Minnesota)) Today, the town is chiefly a bedroom community for nearby Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) and the more distant Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. The juxtaposition of Dundas and Northfield and their disparate zoning policies and attitudes toward development have led to some unusual growth patterns. Dundas is home to a number of businesses, such as an off-sale liquor store and two bars that would be unable to get licenses to operate in Northfield. Another attraction is the recently opened bistro, Fermentations '''Goodsell Observatory''' is a building on the campus of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. It was constructed in 1887 and was, at the time, the largest observatory in the state of Minnesota. It was named for Charles Goodsell, who donated much of the land on which Carleton was founded. Goodsell was built to replace Carleton's original observatory (built in 1877), which was razed in 1905 to make room for Laird Hall. Goodsell Observatory is on the National Register of Historic Places. Ordained as Congregationalist minister, he preached first in Brodhead, Wisconsin for two years, and then in Faribault, Minnesota beginning in 1865. The Congregational Church in Minnesota had established a college in the nearby town of Northfield (Northfield, Minnesota) in 1866, and in 1870, Strong was invited to become its first president. Initially, Strong declined the position, since the college's outlook seemed poor. Northfield College (Carleton College) had few students in its preparatory academy, and up until that fall, no students in its college department. It was operating out of an old hotel, the construction of its new building stalled due to inadequate materials and a lack of funds. The trustees were convinced Strong was the man to provide the leadership to improve the college's reputation and financial status, so they made him a more generous offer and this time he accepted.

Northfield, Minnesota

'''Northfield''' is a city in Dakota (Dakota County, Minnesota) and Rice (Rice County, Minnesota) counties in the State (U.S. state) of Minnesota. Most of the city is located in Rice County, with a small part extending into Dakota County. The population was 20,007 at the 2010 census (2010 United States Census).

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017