Malton, Ontario

What is Malton, Ontario known for?


title summer

was originally named Lipomanis Drive * Summer Records, one of Canada's first Black-owned record labels, was founded in Malton in the 1970s. Demographics The predominantly British town saw an influx of Italian and Polish


industry national

; In 1939, a wooden terminal that was identical to the one built at Toronto City Centre Airport, replaced the Chapman Farm House as the airport terminal. '''Malton Airport''' was also the site of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan facilities during the war-time years. Aircraft industry National Steel Car


100

to Flying publisher Friends of the Mississauga Library System year 2005 url http: www.mississauga.ca file COM 9634_MaltonBook.pdf The northeast corner of Toronto Township

1820 to claim his 100 acre land grant; the east half of Lot 10, Conc. 7. *Henry


news work

were approved by the Government of Canada, which agreed to fund one-quarter of the project. The two sites were the Island and Malton (Malton, Ontario), north-west of Toronto. A seaplane and land airport would be built at the island, and an auxiliary field was to be built at Malton. The project would fill in the regatta lagoon and extend the airport site on both

the east and west sides. The total cost building both airports was estimated at $1.9 million, ($ * Little India, Hillcroft, Houston, Texas * Malton, Ontario


called victory

built a manufacturing plant in 1938. On November 4, 1942, the Federal government expropriated National Steel Car and set up the crown corporation called Victory Aircraft. Victory Aircraft produced Avro Lancaster bombers from 1942 to 1945. Victory Village In 1942, the Canadian Government expropriated the north part of the former Fred Codlin farm and built 200 military-style houses for war-time workers. “Victory Village” streets


sports story

In 1945, Hawker Siddeley Group (Hawker Siddeley) purchased the former Victory Aircraft firm in Malton, Ontario, and renamed the operation '''A.V. Roe Canada Limited'''. Campagna, p.19 Commonly known as Avro Canada, it was actually a subsidiary of the Hawker Siddeley Group and used the Avro name for trading purposes. The '''Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow''' was a delta-winged interceptor aircraft, designed and built by Avro Aircraft Limited (Canada) (Avro Canada) in Malton (Malton, Ontario), Ontario, Canada, as the culmination of a design study that began in 1953. Considered to be both an advanced technical and aerodynamic achievement for the Canadian aviation industry, the CF-105 held the promise of Mach (Mach number) 2 speeds at altitudes exceeding 50,000 ft (15,000 m), and was intended to serve as the Royal Canadian Air Force's (RCAF) primary interceptor in the 1960s and beyond. Page et al. 2004, p. 159. Origins During the Second World War (World War II), Victory Aircraft in Malton, Ontario was Canada's largest aircraft manufacturer. Prior to 1939, as a part of National Steel Car Ltd. of Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario), the concern had been one of a number of ''shadow factories'' set up in Canada to produce British aircraft designs in safety. National Steel Car had turned out Avro Anson trainers, Handley Page Hampden bombers, Hawker Hurricane fighters and Westland Lysander army cooperation aircraft. National Steel Car Corporation of Malton, Ontario was formed in 1938 and renamed '''Victory Aircraft Limited''' in 1942 when the Canadian government took over ownership and management of main plant. During the Second World War, Victory Aircraft built Avro (UK) aircraft: 3,197 Anson (Avro Anson) trainers, 430 Lancaster (Avro Lancaster) bombers, six Lancastrian (Avro Lancastrian), one Lincoln (Avro Lincoln) bomber and one York (Avro York) transport. After the land was surveyed, the Crown gave much of it in the form of land grants to United Empire Loyalists who emigrated from the Thirteen Colonies during and after the American Revolution, as well as loyalists from New Brunswick. A group of settlers from New York City arrived in the 1830s. The government wanted to compensate the Loyalists for property lost in the colonies and encourage development of what was considered


high crime

'''Toronto Aerodrome''', also known as '''Canadian Air Express Airport''' was an aerodrome located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. One of the historical airfields of Canada, operated from 1928 to 1939, it was situated at the current Downsview subway station (Downsview (TTC)) on Dufferin Street and Sheppard Avenue West. Early Airfields Toronto Aerodrome was one of the several small airfields, which were established in the Toronto area during the 1920s and 1930s. This aerodrome served as the principal custom entry point for aircraft (airport of entry) coming to Toronto until 1939, when Malton (Malton, Ontario) airfield, now Toronto Pearson International Airport, became operational. The aerodrome shared the site with the '''Toronto Flying Club''' (located at Dufferin Street and Wilson Avenue). The Toronto Flying Club's site is now the south end of Downsview Airport, TTC Wilson Complex and parts of the residential neighbourhood of Wilson Heights. However he had no good idea how to accomplish this, so he approached Ferranti, who had recently met with the DRB. Instead of the cash-strapped DRB, Belyea offered funding directly from the Navy itself. As Belyea was a lieutenant, he only had authority to approve contracts up to CAN$5,000. As a cunning solution, Belyea put out several contracts under different names all to Ferranti. This solution pleased everyone and the DATAR project was born in 1949, Ferranti setting up a new shop under the direction of Kenyon Taylor in Malton (Malton, Ontario) near the Avro Canada plants. At about this time, the former Victory Aircraft plants in Malton (Malton, Ontario) were being converted into the new A.V. Roe Canada (Avro Canada) plants. In the spring of 1946 the government decided to turn all engine development over to private industry, and sold Turbo Research to Avro. Paul Dillworth remained as chief engineer of the newly christened '''Gas Turbine Division''', which was moved to Avro's plant just outside what is today Toronto Pearson International Airport. 1. Malton, Ontario (Moth) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport 1. Malton, Ontario (Anson) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport


water service

" '''Toronto Aerodrome''', also known as '''Canadian Air Express Airport''' was an aerodrome located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. One of the historical airfields of Canada, operated from 1928 to 1939, it was situated at the current Downsview subway station (Downsview (TTC)) on Dufferin Street and Sheppard Avenue West. Early Airfields Toronto Aerodrome was one of the several small airfields, which were established in the Toronto area during the 1920s and 1930s. This aerodrome served as the principal custom entry point for aircraft (airport of entry) coming to Toronto until 1939, when Malton (Malton, Ontario) airfield, now Toronto Pearson International Airport, became operational. The aerodrome shared the site with the '''Toronto Flying Club''' (located at Dufferin Street and Wilson Avenue). The Toronto Flying Club's site is now the south end of Downsview Airport, TTC Wilson Complex and parts of the residential neighbourhood of Wilson Heights. However he had no good idea how to accomplish this, so he approached Ferranti, who had recently met with the DRB. Instead of the cash-strapped DRB, Belyea offered funding directly from the Navy itself. As Belyea was a lieutenant, he only had authority to approve contracts up to CAN$5,000. As a cunning solution, Belyea put out several contracts under different names all to Ferranti. This solution pleased everyone and the DATAR project was born in 1949, Ferranti setting up a new shop under the direction of Kenyon Taylor in Malton (Malton, Ontario) near the Avro Canada plants. At about this time, the former Victory Aircraft plants in Malton (Malton, Ontario) were being converted into the new A.V. Roe Canada (Avro Canada) plants. In the spring of 1946 the government decided to turn all engine development over to private industry, and sold Turbo Research to Avro. Paul Dillworth remained as chief engineer of the newly christened '''Gas Turbine Division''', which was moved to Avro's plant just outside what is today Toronto Pearson International Airport. 1. Malton, Ontario (Moth) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport 1. Malton, Ontario (Anson) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport


victory community

had war-time references; Victory (Victory Aircraft), McNaughton (Andrew McNaughton, commander of the Canadian Forces in the UK (United Kingdom)), Churchill (Winston Churchill) and Lancaster (Avro Lancaster) (Avro Lancasters were built at Victory Aircraft from 1943 to 1945). Victory Community Hall was built shortly after (at Victory Park) and was renovated in 2010. thumb Victory Hall - renovated in 2010 (File:Victory Hall Malton, after 2010 renovation.JPG) There were two other streets in the Village, Anson Ave. & Merrit Ave.! Anson ran horizontially at the top of Lancaster. Merrit ran behind Churchill Ave. 1945–1969 Originally on the border (Airport Road (Peel Regional Road 7)) between Toronto Gore (Toronto Gore Township, Ontario) and Toronto (Mississauga) Townships, Malton was ceded to Toronto Township in 1952, and then incorporated into the town (1967), and then the City of Mississauga in 1974. Airport The Trans-Canada Airport terminal replaced the wooden terminal in 1949. The Trans-Canada Terminal was replaced by the Aeroquay Terminal in 1964. Aircraft industry A.V. Roe Canada Limited was established on December 1, 1945 and assumed control of Victory Aircraft. In 1946, A.V. Roe acquired Turbo Research Limited, which was later renamed Orenda. On August 10, 1949, the Avro Jetliner made its first flight. On January 19, 1950 the CF-100 (Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck) Jet Interceptor Fighter made its maiden flight. '''Toronto Aerodrome''', also known as '''Canadian Air Express Airport''' was an aerodrome located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. One of the historical airfields of Canada, operated from 1928 to 1939, it was situated at the current Downsview subway station (Downsview (TTC)) on Dufferin Street and Sheppard Avenue West. Early Airfields Toronto Aerodrome was one of the several small airfields, which were established in the Toronto area during the 1920s and 1930s. This aerodrome served as the principal custom entry point for aircraft (airport of entry) coming to Toronto until 1939, when Malton (Malton, Ontario) airfield, now Toronto Pearson International Airport, became operational. The aerodrome shared the site with the '''Toronto Flying Club''' (located at Dufferin Street and Wilson Avenue). The Toronto Flying Club's site is now the south end of Downsview Airport, TTC Wilson Complex and parts of the residential neighbourhood of Wilson Heights. However he had no good idea how to accomplish this, so he approached Ferranti, who had recently met with the DRB. Instead of the cash-strapped DRB, Belyea offered funding directly from the Navy itself. As Belyea was a lieutenant, he only had authority to approve contracts up to CAN$5,000. As a cunning solution, Belyea put out several contracts under different names all to Ferranti. This solution pleased everyone and the DATAR project was born in 1949, Ferranti setting up a new shop under the direction of Kenyon Taylor in Malton (Malton, Ontario) near the Avro Canada plants. At about this time, the former Victory Aircraft plants in Malton (Malton, Ontario) were being converted into the new A.V. Roe Canada (Avro Canada) plants. In the spring of 1946 the government decided to turn all engine development over to private industry, and sold Turbo Research to Avro. Paul Dillworth remained as chief engineer of the newly christened '''Gas Turbine Division''', which was moved to Avro's plant just outside what is today Toronto Pearson International Airport. 1. Malton, Ontario (Moth) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport 1. Malton, Ontario (Anson) — currently Toronto Pearson International Airport


victory

built a manufacturing plant in 1938. On November 4, 1942, the Federal government expropriated National Steel Car and set up the crown corporation called Victory Aircraft. Victory Aircraft produced Avro Lancaster bombers from 1942 to 1945. Victory Village In 1942, the Canadian Government expropriated the north part of the former Fred Codlin farm and built 200 military-style houses for war-time workers. “Victory Village” streets

had war-time references; Victory (Victory Aircraft), McNaughton (Andrew McNaughton, commander of the Canadian Forces in the UK (United Kingdom)), Churchill (Winston Churchill) and Lancaster (Avro Lancaster) (Avro Lancasters were built at Victory Aircraft from 1943 to 1945). Victory Community Hall was built shortly after (at Victory Park) and was renovated in 2010. thumb Victory Hall - renovated in 2010 (File:Victory Hall Malton, after 2010 renovation.JPG) There were two

terminal replaced the wooden terminal in 1949. The Trans-Canada Terminal was replaced by the Aeroquay Terminal in 1964. Aircraft industry A.V. Roe Canada Limited was established on December 1, 1945 and assumed control of Victory Aircraft. In 1946, A.V. Roe acquired Turbo Research Limited, which was later renamed Orenda. On August 10, 1949, the Avro Jetliner made its first flight. On January 19, 1950 the CF-100 (Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck) Jet Interceptor Fighter made its maiden flight

Malton, Ontario

'''Malton''' is a neighbourhood in the northeastern part of the city of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, located to the northwest of Toronto. The neighbourhood has a population of approximately 36,400 as of 2002.

Malton is bounded by Highway 427 (Ontario Highway 427) and Finch Avenue (border with Toronto) to the east, the Brampton city border along Steeles Avenue to the north, Airport Road (Peel Regional Road 7) to the west, and the CN (Canadian National Railway) rail line and Toronto Pearson International Airport to the south. Malton is unique in that it does not adjoin any other Mississauga neighbourhood. Mimico Creek flows through Malton.

Together, the Malton and Britannia Woods areas of Mississauga form Ward 5 (Ward 5 (Mississauga)). Ward 5 is one of the largest in the City of Mississauga and the only ward with both a large number of businesses and residents. The oldest portion of Malton (the former Police Village (police village) of Malton) is located on the northwestern corner of Airport and Derry Roads. All of the roads in this area are named after cities in the United Kingdom.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017