Longview, Washington

What is Longview, Washington known for?


school band

, when she departed for Vancouver, Washington. Twenty guests of the Vancouver Navy League were embarked at Longview, Washington, for a ship's visit and disembarked upon arrival at Vancouver. ''Volador'' was welcomed by a gathering of about 500 citizens, plus the local high school band, and was presented a plaque in a simple ceremony on board. She departed Vancouver on 5 October and visited Seattle, Washington, and Port Angeles, Washington, through the month of October. ''Volador'' visited Victoria, British Columbia, from 31 October through 3 November. Canadian frigate HMCS ''Antigonish'' (HMCS Antigonish) was the host ship, and wardroom officers were entertained on board and in the homes of the host's officers. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, to an artistic family of German (Germany) origin, having a mother who was a pianist and a father who was a writer and painter. "Two of San Francisco's best-known landmarks were built by Germans: Joseph Strauss designed the 1937 Golden Gate Bridge, and Bernard Maybeck, son of a German immigrant, designed the Palace of Fine Arts," according to headquarters 770 11th Ave. Longview (Longview, Washington), WA (Washington (U.S. state)) 98632 United States ISSN '''The Daily News''' is the primary newspaper of Longview (Longview, Washington), Kelso, Washington, and Cowlitz County, Washington. It is owned by Lee Enterprises, which acquired the newspaper with its 2002 purchase of Howard Publications. Howard, in turn, had purchased the paper in 1999 from Ted and John Natt, grandsons of John M. McClelland Sr., ending 76 years of McClelland-Natt family ownership. According to "R.A. Long's Planned City" by John McClelland Jr., McClelland Sr. purchased the paper, which began as a Long-Bell Lumber Company daily, from Robert A. Long, the lumber magnate and founder of Longview. Long founded both Longview and The Daily News in 1923. R. A. Long Robert A. Long (1850–1934) was born in Shelby County, Kentucky. In 1873 Long moved to Columbus, Kansas and with a friend and a cousin, Victor Bell and Robert White, started a hay business. This was unsuccessful but there seemed to be a need for lumber so the three formed the R. A. Long & Company. After the death of Robert White the remaining two formed the Long-Bell Lumber Company in 1887 and the headquarters was moved to Kansas City. This was a very lucrative business and Long became a millionaire. His other milestones achieved were lumber baron, developer, investor, newspaper owner, town and city builder, being Longville, Louisiana and Longview, Washington, and philanthropist. In 1907 he built the R.A. Long Building, the first steel framed skyscraper, in Kansas City. The building was bought by City National Bank & Trust Company (UMB Financial Corporation) in 1940. Long was a founding member and president of the Liberty Memorial Association that secured funding for the memorial. James M. Kemper was treasurer as well as president of a bank. In 1911 he built Corinthian Hall, a 72 room mansion and in 1914 he built the Longview Farm.


team plays

Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia. The team plays at David Story Field on the Lower Columbia College campus. Cowlitz Black Bears Web Site Parks and recreation Image:LongviewSacajawea(Commons).jpg thumb left A former slough, Lake Sacajawea was created during the construction of Longview Longview has a variety of parks and recreation facilities. Longview Parks and Recreation


432

passed under the Golden Gate Bridge in his flagship, Longview (Longview, Washington) ( Washington State Route 432 SR 432

) Castle Rock (Castle Rock, Washington) (I-5 (I-5 (WA)) SR 504 (Washington State Route 504)) formerly Vader (Vader, Washington) (SR 506 (Washington State Route 506)) Longview (Longview, Washington) (SR 4 (Washington State Route 4)) Kelso (Kelso, Washington) (I-5 (I-5 (WA))) Oregon (US 30 (US 30 (OR))) Longview (Longview, Washington) ( Washington State Route 432 SR 432

) formerly Longview (Longview, Washington) (SR 4 (Washington State Route 4)) deleted Longview (Longview, Washington) ( US 830 (WA) US


advertising

-founder of Wham-O. *Hal Riney, American advertising executive inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame in 2001 * Jason Schmidt, pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers, born in Lewiston, Idaho but was raised in Kelso and graduated from Kelso High School Jason Schmidt * Sid Snyder, Washington state legislator and businessman *Rick Sweet, Louisville Bats Minor League Baseball Manager


population shows

family size was 2.96. In the city the age distribution of the population shows 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.0 males. The median income for a household in the city was $35,171, and the median income for a family was $43,869. Males had a median income of $38,972 versus


story field

Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia. The team plays at David Story Field on the Lower Columbia College campus. Cowlitz Black Bears Web Site Parks and recreation Image:LongviewSacajawea(Commons).jpg thumb left A former slough, Lake Sacajawea was created during the construction of Longview Longview has a variety of parks and recreation facilities. Longview Parks and Recreation headquarters 770 11th Ave. Longview (Longview, Washington), WA (Washington (U.S. state)) 98632 United States ISSN '''The Daily News''' is the primary newspaper of Longview (Longview, Washington), Kelso, Washington, and Cowlitz County, Washington. It is owned by Lee Enterprises, which acquired the newspaper with its 2002 purchase of Howard Publications. Howard, in turn, had purchased the paper in 1999 from Ted and John Natt, grandsons of John M. McClelland Sr., ending 76 years of McClelland-Natt family ownership. According to "R.A. Long's Planned City" by John McClelland Jr., McClelland Sr. purchased the paper, which began as a Long-Bell Lumber Company daily, from Robert A. Long, the lumber magnate and founder of Longview. Long founded both Longview and The Daily News in 1923. R. A. Long Robert A. Long (1850–1934) was born in Shelby County, Kentucky. In 1873 Long moved to Columbus, Kansas and with a friend and a cousin, Victor Bell and Robert White, started a hay business. This was unsuccessful but there seemed to be a need for lumber so the three formed the R. A. Long & Company. After the death of Robert White the remaining two formed the Long-Bell Lumber Company in 1887 and the headquarters was moved to Kansas City. This was a very lucrative business and Long became a millionaire. His other milestones achieved were lumber baron, developer, investor, newspaper owner, town and city builder, being Longville, Louisiana and Longview, Washington, and philanthropist. In 1907 he built the R.A. Long Building, the first steel framed skyscraper, in Kansas City. The building was bought by City National Bank & Trust Company (UMB Financial Corporation) in 1940. Long was a founding member and president of the Liberty Memorial Association that secured funding for the memorial. James M. Kemper was treasurer as well as president of a bank. In 1911 he built Corinthian Hall, a 72 room mansion and in 1914 he built the Longview Farm.


national volcanic

, which has its headquarters in downtown Longview, at the corner of 12th Avenue and Washington Way. Tourism Longview is a gateway to the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, and tourism is playing an increasingly important role in the area's economy. Nutty Narrows Bridge Longview is home to the famous Nutty Narrows Bridge built in 1963 by Amos Peters. For many years, it was the only bridge in the world designed and built strictly for squirrels. The bridge was built in 1963 and its purpose was to avoid squirrel casualties on the busy streets beneath. -Squirrel bridge Longview began a new annual festival, known as Squirrel Fest, in 2011. http: tdn.com news local locals-visitors-go-nuts-for-squirrel-fest article_3225f9ec-c09c-11e0-a1ff-001cc4c03286.html As part of the festival, a new squirrel bridge has been unveiled each year, and as of 2014, there are now four squirrel bridges in the city. http: tdn.com news local longview-s-fourth-squirrel-bridge-to-be-installed-june article_0481df5c-f1d0-11e3-8eef-0019bb2963f4.html Recognition In 2012, Forbes listed Longview as one of The United States' prettiest cities. headquarters 770 11th Ave. Longview, Washington Longview , WA (Washington (U.S. state)) 98632 United States ISSN '''The Daily News''' is the primary newspaper of Longview (Longview, Washington), Kelso, Washington, and Cowlitz County, Washington. It is owned by Lee Enterprises, which acquired the newspaper with its 2002 purchase of Howard Publications. Howard, in turn, had purchased the paper in 1999 from Ted and John Natt, grandsons of John M. McClelland Sr., ending 76 years of McClelland-Natt family ownership. According to "R.A. Long's Planned City" by John McClelland Jr., McClelland Sr. purchased the paper, which began as a Long-Bell Lumber Company daily, from Robert A. Long, the lumber magnate and founder of Longview. Long founded both Longview and The Daily News in 1923. R. A. Long Robert A. Long (1850–1934) was born in Shelby County, Kentucky. In 1873 Long moved to Columbus, Kansas and with a friend and a cousin, Victor Bell and Robert White, started a hay business. This was unsuccessful but there seemed to be a need for lumber so the three formed the R. A. Long & Company. After the death of Robert White the remaining two formed the Long-Bell Lumber Company in 1887 and the headquarters was moved to Kansas City. This was a very lucrative business and Long became a millionaire. His other milestones achieved were lumber baron, developer, investor, newspaper owner, town and city builder, being Longville, Louisiana and Longview, Washington, and philanthropist. In 1907 he built the R.A. Long Building, the first steel framed skyscraper, in Kansas City. The building was bought by City National Bank & Trust Company (UMB Financial Corporation) in 1940. Long was a founding member and president of the Liberty Memorial Association that secured funding for the memorial. James M. Kemper was treasurer as well as president of a bank. In 1911 he built Corinthian Hall, a 72 room mansion and in 1914 he built the Longview Farm.


long+building

achieved were lumber baron, developer, investor, newspaper owner, town and city builder, being Longville, Louisiana and Longview, Washington, and philanthropist. In 1907 he built the R.A. Long Building, the first steel framed skyscraper, in Kansas City. The building was bought by City National Bank & Trust Company (UMB Financial Corporation) in 1940. Long was a founding member and president of the Liberty Memorial Association that secured funding for the memorial. James M. Kemper was treasurer as well as president of a bank. In 1911 he built Corinthian Hall, a 72 room mansion and in 1914 he built the Longview Farm.


music contemporary

on Mark Morris' Ted M. Natt court. Lower Columbia College (LCC), based in Longview, was established in 1934. Media Radio * KBAM AM 1270 (Classic Country) * KEDO (KEDO (AM)) AM 1400 (Talk radio) * KLOG AM 1490 (Classic Hits) * KJVH FM 89.5 (Christian radio) * KLWO FM 90.3 (Contemporary Christian (Contemporary Christian music)) * KLYK FM 94.5 (Hot Adult Contemporary) * KPPK FM 98.3 "The Peak" (Adult hits) * KRQT FM


community history

;. Congress agreed to statehood but as Washington, after President Washington (George Washington), to avoid confusion with the District of Columbia. A monument to the convention is located near the Longview Civic Center. The area remained sparsely populated for nearly 60 years, consisting mostly of farmland

Longview, Washington

'''Longview''' is a city in Cowlitz County (Cowlitz County, Washington), Washington (Washington (state)), United States. It is the principal city of the "Longview, Washington Metropolitan Statistical Area", which encompasses all of Cowlitz County. Longview's population was 36,648 at the time of the 2010 census (2010 United States Census) and is the largest city in Cowlitz County. The city is located in southwestern Washington, at the junction of the Cowlitz (Cowlitz River) and Columbia rivers (Columbia River). Longview shares a border with Kelso (Kelso, Washington) to the east, which is the county seat.

The Cowlitz Indian Tribe, a federally recognized tribe of Cowlitz people, is headquartered in Longview. "Tribal Directory." ''National Congress of American Indians.'' Retrieved September 29, 2013.

The Long-Bell Lumber Company, led by Robert A. Long, made the decision in 1918 to buy a great expanse of timberland in Cowlitz County. A total of 14,000 workers were needed to run the two large mills as well as lumber camps that were planned. The number of workers needed was more than a lumber town, or the nearest town, could provide. Long planned and built a complete city in 1921 that could support a population of up to 50,000 and provide labor for the mills as well as attracting other industries. Several buildings in the city were built from Long's private funds. -Beginning of Longview

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017