Koumbi Saleh

What is Koumbi Saleh known for?


local stone

that nowadays rises to about 15 m above the surrounding plain. The hill would have originally been lower as part of the present height is a result of the accumulated ruins. From the quantity of debris it is likely that some of the buildings had more than one storey.


translation

of the inhabitants are of stone and acacia wood. The king has a palace and a number of domed dwellings all surrounded with an enclosure like a city wall. In the king's town, and not far from his courts of justice, is a mosque where Muslims who arrive in his court pray. Around the king's town are domed buildings and groves and thickets where the sorcerers of these people, men in charge of the religious cult, live. . A translation into French

chronicle, the ''Tarikh al-Sudan'' mentions that the Malian Empire came after the dynasty of Qayamagha which had its capital at the city of Ghana. In the French translation of the ''Tarikh al-fattash'' published in 1913, Octave Houdas and Maurice Delafosse include a footnote in which

. * . Volume 1 is the Arabic text, Volume 2 is a translation into French. Reprinted by Maisonneuve


site

settlement_type Site of medieval town total_type motto translit_lang1 translit_lang1_type translit_lang1_info translit_lang1_type1 translit_lang1_info1 translit_lang1_type2 translit_lang1_info2 image_skyline imagesize image_caption image_flag

blank5_name blank5_info blank6_name blank6_info website footnotes '''Koumbi Saleh''', sometimes '''Kumbi Saleh''' is the site of a ruined medieval town in south east Mauritania that may have been the capital of the Ghana Empire. From the ninth century, Arab authors mention the Ghana Empire in connection with the trans-Saharan gold trade (Trans-saharan trade). Al-Bakri who wrote

in eleventh century described the capital of Ghana as consisting of two towns 6 miles apart, one inhabited by Muslim merchants and the other by the king of Ghana. The discovery in 1913 of a 17th-century African chronicle that gave the name of the capital as Koumbi led French archaeologists to the ruins at Koumbi Saleh. Excavations at the site have revealed the ruins of a large Muslim town with houses built of stone and a congregational mosque but no inscription to unambiguously identify the site


original work

Maurice Delafosse, (in Gallica). Delafosse's original work have been refuted and discarded by many scholars including Monteil, Cornevin, etc. There was no Diara Kanté in the oral sources. That was an addition by Delafosee which was contrary to the original sources. Delafosse merely linked different legends (i.e. the Tautain story etc.) and prescribed Diara Kanté (1180) as the father of Soumaoro, in order to link the Sossos to the Diarisso Dynasty of Kaniaga (Jarisso). He also


title early

Fisher first Humphrey J. year 1982 title Early Arabic sources and the Almoravid conquest of Ghana journal Journal of African History volume 23 pages 549–560 jstor 182041 ref none doi 10.1017 s0021853700021356 . *


390

is available online:


louvre

thumb left 200px Nok sculpture, terracotta, Louvre (Image:Nok sculpture Louvre 70-1998-11-1.jpg) Tichit (Dhar Tichitt) and Oualata were prominent among the early urban centers, dated to 2000 BCE, in present day Mauritania. About 500 stone settlements litter the region in the former savannah of the Sahara. Its inhabitants fished and grew millet. It has been found that the Soninke of the Mandé peoples were responsible for constructing such settlements. Around 300 BCE


472

. It measured approximately 46 m east to west and 23 m north to south. The western end was probably open to the sky. The mihrab faced due east. There were two large cemeteries outside


studies association

failed to give sources as to how he arrived to that conclusion and the genealogy he created. Monteil describes his work as "unacceptable". The African Studies Association describe it as "...too creative to be useful to historians". See: *African Studies Association, ''History in Africa, Volume 11'', African Studies Association., 1984, the University of Michigan, pp 42-51 Arabic sources The earliest mention of Aoudaghost is by al-Yaqubi in his ''Kitab al-Buldan'' completed in 889-890 in which he described the town as being controlled by a tribe of the Sanhaja and situated 50 stages south of Sijilmasa across the Sahara desert. Tegdaoust is existed from before c. 830 until c. 1235 in what is now south-east Mauritania and western Mali. The Sosso people took its capital Koumbi Saleh but at the Battle of Kirina (c. 1240) Sundiata Keita's alliance defeated the Sosso and began the Mali Empire, which spread its influence along the Niger River through numerous vassal kingdoms and provinces. The Gao Empire at the eastern Niger bend was powerful in the ninth century CE but later subordinated to Mali until its decline. In 1340 the Songhai people made Gao the capital of a new Songhai Empire. Haskins, page 46


title site'

This has led some historian to doubt the identification of Koumbi Saleh as the capital of Ghana. World Heritage Status The archaeological site was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on June 14, 2001 in the Cultural category.

Koumbi Saleh

'''Koumbi Saleh''', sometimes '''Kumbi Saleh''' is the site of a ruined medieval town in south east Mauritania that may have been the capital of the Ghana Empire.

From the ninth century, Arab authors mention the Ghana Empire in connection with the trans-Saharan gold trade (Trans-saharan trade). Al-Bakri who wrote in eleventh century described the capital of Ghana as consisting of two towns 6 miles apart, one inhabited by Muslim merchants and the other by the king of Ghana. The discovery in 1913 of a 17th-century African chronicle that gave the name of the capital as Koumbi led French archaeologists to the ruins at Koumbi Saleh. Excavations at the site have revealed the ruins of a large Muslim town with houses built of stone and a congregational mosque but no inscription to unambiguously identify the site as that of capital of Ghana. Ruins of the king's town described by al-Bakri have not been found. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the site was occupied between the late 9th and the 14th centuries.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017