;ref High Court Petition on Canada Park, Zochrot permission was granted. However, subsequently the signs have been stolen or vandalized. On June 23, 2007, Zochrot joined the refugees of the village Imwas for a tour of the remains of their village. Tour to Imwas, Zochrot Artistic representations Palestinian artist
-'As in the early 7th century. The conquered towns included "Ghazzah (Gaza) (Gaza), Sabastiyah (Sebastia (town)) (Samaria), Nabulus (Shechem), Kaisariyyah (Caesarea) (Cæsarea), Ludd (Lod) (Lydda), Bayt Jibrin, Amwas (Imwas) (Emmaus), Yafa (Jaffa) (Joppa), Rafah, and Yibna. (Bil. 138), quoted in le Strange, 1890, p.28 Artistic representations Palestinian artist
Nicopolis ("City of Victory") by Elagabalus in 221 CE, becoming the chief ''polis'' in a region that bore its name. Negev and Gibson, 2005, p. 159. Robinson writes that the town was rebuilt "by the exertions of the writer Julius Africanus." In 222 CE, a basilica was erected there, which was rebuilt first by the Byzantines and later
describes this destruction and other acts of suppression against Christian worship as one of the main impetuses behind the First Crusade, in which, "Saving Christian sites and guaranteeing access to them was paramount." Crusader era William of Tyre, describing the arrival of the armies of the First Crusade to Imwas from Ramla in 1099, notes the abundance of water and fodder available at the site. Throughout the 12th century, Imwas
this time, and likely attended services alongside the Crusaders at the parish church dedicated to St. George which was constructed in the village by the latter on the site of the ruins of the earlier churches. Levy, 1998, p. 508. Thiede and D'Ancona, 2005, p. 60 Imwas was likely abandoned in 1187 and unlike the neighboring villages of Beit Nuba, Yalo, Yazur and Latrun, it is not mentioned in chronicles describing
: Canada Park's Concealed Crime " BADIL Category:Palestine Category:Arab villages depopulated after the 1948 Arab–Israeli War As a result of the Six-Day War, around 280,000 to 325,000 Palestinians fled Bowker, 2003, p. 81. the territories occupied by Israel, including the demolished Palestinian villages of Imwas, Yalo, Bayt Nuba, Surit, Beit Awwa, Beit Mirsem, Shuyukh (Shuyukh (village)), Jiftlik
Exploration Fund Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund volume 3 (pp. 63 -81) * (pp. 890-1) *
a population of 824, all Muslim. Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Jerusalem, p. 16 This had increased by the time of the 1931 census (1931 census of Palestine) to 1,029, 2 Christians and 1,027 Muslim, in 224 houses. Mills, 1932, p. 40. In 1945
lower by elevation. 200px thumb Map of destroyed villages and armistice lines (File:CanadaParkCropped.jpg) All Arab villages in the Latrun salient were razed during the Six Day War on the orders of Israeli general Yitzhak Rabin and over 10,000 inhabitants were expelled. population&hl en&pid bl&srcid
and Yalo.population&hl en&pid bl&srcid ADGEESihja_bise16cuqZUyvYfKdPJkOdRsHpNQ8p6eLpkO-grooLTvYbiMqwA3TE02CAwTL4xOtFQj_Y0bG8jZdkTAmbVmJpXMkIgpodhPibDmbby59w42nWZAN-3yWhWGaodnW45AN&sig AHIEtbS8xTtoY4ynI5T782aBcomrTDfnqA Al-Haq Legal Brief The inhabitants were granted compensation but not allowed to return. Oren, 2002
of Bayt Nuba in 1970.population&hl en&pid bl&srcid ADGEESihja_bise16cuqZUyvYfKdPJkOdRsHpNQ8p6eLpkO-grooLTvYbiMqwA3TE02CAwTL4xOtFQj_Y0bG8jZdkTAmbVmJpXMkIgpodhPibDmbby59w42nWZAN-3yWhWGaodnW45AN&sig AHIEtbS8xTtoY4ynI5T782aBcomrTDfnqA Al-Haq Legal Brief
by the Israeli Defense Forces during the Six-Day War on June 7, 1967 along with the neighbouring villages of Yalo and Bayt Nuba, Imwas was depopulated and then destroyed on the orders of Yitzhak Rabin. Reports of its destruction caused a minor controversy abroad.
title International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: E-J first1 Geoffrey W. last1 Bromiley publisher Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing year 1982 isbn 9780802837820 * *
-12696-9 * *
Gibson publisher Continuum International Publishing Group year 2005 isbn 9780826485717 * *
be that mentioned by Sozomen in the 5th century, Theophanes (Theophanes of Byzantium) in the 6th, and by Willibald in the 8th. Robinson, 1856, p. 146. The ruins of the "ancient church" are described by Robinson as lying just south of the built-up area of the village at that time. Charles Simon Clermont-Ganneau also visited Imwas in the late 19th century and describes a local tradition centered around a bathhouse dating
'''Imwas''' ( from Jerusalem in the Latrun salient (salient (geography)) of the West Bank. Wareham and Gill, 1998, p. 108. Often identified with the biblical Emmaus, over the course of two millennia, Imwas was intermittently inhabited and was ruled by the Romans (Ancient Rome) (including the Byzantines (Byzantine empire)), Arab caliphates, Crusaders, Ottomans (Ottoman empire), and the British (British empire), as part of the Mandate in Palestine (British Mandate Palestine). After the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, Imwas fell under Jordanian control (Rule of the West Bank and East Jerusalem by Jordan). Its population at the time was predominantly Arab Muslim, though there was an Arab Christian minority.
Captured by the Israeli Defense Forces during the Six-Day War on June 7, 1967 along with the neighbouring villages of Yalo and Bayt Nuba, Imwas was depopulated and then destroyed on the orders of Yitzhak Rabin. Reports of its destruction caused a minor controversy abroad. The residents of the three villages were offered compensation but were not allowed to return. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Segev, Tom (Tom Segev) (2006). 1967: Israel, the War and the Year That Transformed the Middle East, Metropolitan Books, pp. 306-309. Segev, 1967, p. 82. Mayhew and Adams, 2006. Today the area of the former village lies within Canada Park, which was established by the Jewish National Fund in 1973.