Wood's daughter Pennie Wood Heyworth and her husband Adrian succeeded them; Major Wood died in 1998. Their early efforts are recorded in ''Herm, Our Island Home'', written by Major Wood's wife Jenny Wood. On 17 May 2008, the BBC (British Broadcasting Company) reported
. Part I CD-ROM (title from CD-ROM label). S.l. : British Locals Philatelic Agency, 2009. (Category:Herm) Category:Car-free zones Category:Geography of the Channel Islands Category:Private islands thumb right 240px The Channel Islands and adjacent coast of France. (File:Wyspy Normandzkie.png) File:Jethou Herm Sark viewed
, the chapel was closed for restoration work (Building restoration).
; they remained so until the division of Normandy in 1204, when they became a Crown Dependency.
was formed following approval by the States of Deliberation (States of Guernsey) in March 1915, consisting of an inspector, two sergeants, two corporals and eleven constables. As of 2008 it has 169 officers supported by 37 civilian staff. thumb left Sign at police headquarters, St. Peter Port (Image:Guernsey police sign.jpg) Under the Interpretation Act 1978 of the United Kingdom, the legal term '''''British Islands''''' (as opposed to the geographical term ''British Isles'') refers to the United
;The Mermaid" pub and restaurant, and a small primary school with about eight children. During a busy summer season, up to 100,000 tourists visit the island, arriving by one of the catamaran ferries operated by the Trident Charter Company. Cars are banned (Auto-free zone) from the island, as are bicycles; quad bike (All-terrain vehicle)s and tractors used for staff and luggage transport respectively are allowed. History Image:Hermdunord.jpg left thumb The common
navigation government general-election---23-4-2008 archiveurl http: web.archive.org web 20110521190537 http: www.gov.gg ccm navigation government general-election---23-4-2008 archivedate 2011-05-21 title General Election – 23.4.2008 publisher Guernsey Government accessdate 22 May 2013 Cars (Auto-free zone) and bicycles are banned from Herm,
: www.islandlife.org guernsey_election2008.htm Guernsey Election of States Deputies, 2008 - bgcolor "#88dd88" Island of Herm (Channel Islands) Whole island 60 Cars and bicycles are both banned (quad bikes are allowed, but only for maintenance) - Bailiwick of Guernsey * The States of Guernsey Police Service is the local police force for the Crown dependency of Guernsey. In addition to providing police for the island of Guernsey itself, the Guernsey
caption1 The obelisk on The Common on Herm image2 Antony Gormley's "Another Time XI" on Herm - facing right.JPG width2 180 alt2 caption2 A picture of Antony Gormley's statue, XI (11) in his Another Time series Other buildings on the island include the White House hotel (White House (Herm)), "The Mermaid" pub and restaurant, and 20 self-catering cottages. The most notable cottages are Fisherman's Cottage
2013 The statue was number XI (11) of the Another Time series. Education and culture thumb right Travel Trident ferry approaching Herm (File:Ferry approaching the Rosaire Landing, Herm - geograph.org.uk - 87.jpg) A number of French Norman placenames remain
books?id zv9mAAAAMAAJ year 2005 publisher Ian Allan isbn 978-0-7110-3071-8 ref harv * *
, the University of Oxford, and the Guernsey museum, they stated that the "density of tombs suggests that the northern end of Herm may have been a place set apart for funerary activity".
'''Herm''' (Guernésiais: ''Haerme'') is one of the Channel Islands and part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, located in the English Channel, north-west of France and south of England. It is wide; orientated north-south, with several stretches of sand along its northern coast. Guernsey lies to the west and Jersey to the south-east, and the smaller island of Jethou is just off the south-west coast.
Herm was first discovered in the Mesolithic period, and the first settlers arrived in the Neolithic (Neolithic Age) and Bronze (Bronze Age) Ages. Many tombs from that period remain today, the majority in the north of the island. The island was annexed to the Duchy of Normandy in 933, but returned to the English Crown with the division of Normandy in 1204. It was occupied by Germany in the Second World War and the scene of Operation Huckaback, but was largely bypassed. Herm is currently managed by Herm Island Ltd, formed by Starboard Settlement, who acquired Herm in 2008, following fears during the sale of the island that the 'identity' of the island was at threat.
Herm's harbour is on its west coast. There are several buildings of note in the vicinity including the White House (White House (Herm)), St Tugual's Chapel, Fisherman's Cottage, "The Mermaid" pub and restaurant, and a small primary school with about eight children. During a busy summer season, up to 100,000 tourists visit the island, arriving by one of the catamaran ferries operated by the Trident Charter Company. Cars are banned (Auto-free zone) from the island, as are bicycles; quad bike (All-terrain vehicle)s and tractors used for staff and luggage transport respectively are allowed.