Goderich, Ontario

What is Goderich, Ontario known for?


online work

in Austria; Rheinberg in Germany; Slănic, Cacica, Ocnele Mari, Salina Turda, Târgu Ocna, Ocna Sibiului, and Praid in Romania; Provadiya in Bulgaria; Racalmuto, Realmonte and Petralia Soprana within the production sites managed by Italkali in southern Italy

; Avery Island in Louisiana, United States; the wich towns of Cheshire and Worcestershire in England; and the Detroit Salt Company's The Sifto Salt Mine in Goderich


historical quot

Highway 4 4 , 7 (Ontario Highway 7) and 22. Many of these are "historical" names, as provincial downloading in the 1980s and 1990s put responsibility for most provincial highways on municipal governments. , the route is significantly shorter than when it travelled beyond Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) to Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario). However, the Queen Elizabeth Way replaced the role of Highway 8, and it was subsequently transferred from provincial to local jurisdiction. Today the highway connects Hamilton and Cambridge, thereafter continuing through Western Ontario to the community of Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) on the shores of Lake Huron. History Highway 8 is one of the oldest provincial highways in Ontario, having first been established in 1918. Up until the early 1970s, the highway was much longer than its current length, extending from Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) through Kitchener-Waterloo (Regional Municipality of Waterloo), Cambridge (Cambridge, Ontario), and Hamilton to Niagara Falls. However, in 1970, the Government of Ontario decided that the stretch of Highway 8 between Winona (Winona, Ontario) (just east of Hamilton) and Niagara Falls was no longer of major transportation significance, since by this time most traffic used the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), just to the north, to go between the two locales. Accordingly, the province downloaded this section of the highway to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Niagara, which designated the road as Regional Road 81 (Niagara Regional Road 81). In 1998, the provincial government of Mike Harris carried another downloading of the highway to municipal authorities; this time the section between the town of Peters Corners (Peters Corners, Ontario) (near Dundas (Dundas, Ontario)) and Winona was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth. Ontario Highway 8 History - The King's Highways of Ontario The first settler in the area was William Hobson, an agent of the Canada Company who was part of a team that went to Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) in 1829. Hobson preferred the area around what is now Haysville and built a log cabin there. In the 1830s, he built a hotel near the Nith River which became a popular stop on the trail between Guelph and the Huron Tract. Haysville continued to be a busy stage coach stopover until the Grand Trunk Railway arrived in 1856 and bypassed the village and went through New Hamburg instead. - Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) Deb Shewfelt (X) (acc.) -


classic hits

Goderich&SearchType Begins&SearchPR 01&B1 All&Custom title Goderich community profile publisher Statistics Canada work 2006 Census data (Canada 2006 Census) accessdate 2011-02-01 Media * CIYN-FM-1 (CIYN-FM) 99.7 "myFM" - classic hits * CHWC-FM 104.9 "The Beach" - local news and adult contemporary * CKNX-FM 101.7 "The One" - local, regional and national news and adult contemporary music * CIBU-FM 94.5 91.7 "

;00 99.7 FM Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) My Broadcasting Corporation classic hits - - CHWC-FM 0 104.9 FM Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) Bayshore Broadcasting adult contemporary - In 1824, Galt was appointed Secretary to the Canada Company, a charter company established to aid in the colonization of the Huron Tract in Upper Canada. While in Canada, Galt lived


extensive military

of Huron County, including a full-size locomotive, A World War II Sherman tank, an extensive military collection, and an exhibit related to salt mining in the area. The museum also collects and maintains the Huron County Archives. The Marine Museum, which is open in July and August, is dedicated to the lifestyle and culture of those who made a living on Lake Huron, highlighting The Great Storm of 1913 (Great Lakes Storm of 1913). Admission to this museum is included in the entry fee for the Huron County Museum. Goderich features 3 public use beaches which can be reached by car following signage in town to the beach hill, also known as West Street. After parking, beach users can also walk along a wooden boardwalk over a mile in length. The main beach, at the north end of the walkway is a sand and fine gravel beach where swimmers and sunbathers can watch lake freighters loading up with salt on the other side of the pier. Further south is St. Christopher's beach and at the far end of the boardwalk is "Rotary Cove", a family-friendly sand beach with lifeguards and playground equipment. Of interest as well, are the man-made groynes along the beach, put in place to control sand migration from the action of water currents. Sports teams Besides school teams, during the winter season, hockey is prevalent in most Canadian small towns, Goderich being no exception. The town supports both the Sr. A Pirates (Goderich Pirates) and the Jr. C Sailors (Goderich Sailors), much of the talent on both teams being of local origin. Schools Goderich is home to two elementary schools (Primary education) and one high school. Goderich Public School, which is an amalgamation of Victoria Public School and Robertson Memorial Public School, , the route is significantly shorter than when it travelled beyond Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) to Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario). However, the Queen Elizabeth Way replaced the role of Highway 8, and it was subsequently transferred from provincial to local jurisdiction. Today the highway connects Hamilton and Cambridge, thereafter continuing through Western Ontario to the community of Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) on the shores of Lake Huron. History Highway 8 is one of the oldest provincial highways in Ontario, having first been established in 1918. Up until the early 1970s, the highway was much longer than its current length, extending from Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) through Kitchener-Waterloo (Regional Municipality of Waterloo), Cambridge (Cambridge, Ontario), and Hamilton to Niagara Falls. However, in 1970, the Government of Ontario decided that the stretch of Highway 8 between Winona (Winona, Ontario) (just east of Hamilton) and Niagara Falls was no longer of major transportation significance, since by this time most traffic used the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), just to the north, to go between the two locales. Accordingly, the province downloaded this section of the highway to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Niagara, which designated the road as Regional Road 81 (Niagara Regional Road 81). In 1998, the provincial government of Mike Harris carried another downloading of the highway to municipal authorities; this time the section between the town of Peters Corners (Peters Corners, Ontario) (near Dundas (Dundas, Ontario)) and Winona was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth. Ontario Highway 8 History - The King's Highways of Ontario The first settler in the area was William Hobson, an agent of the Canada Company who was part of a team that went to Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) in 1829. Hobson preferred the area around what is now Haysville and built a log cabin there. In the 1830s, he built a hotel near the Nith River which became a popular stop on the trail between Guelph and the Huron Tract. Haysville continued to be a busy stage coach stopover until the Grand Trunk Railway arrived in 1856 and bypassed the village and went through New Hamburg instead. - Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) Deb Shewfelt (X) (acc.) -


played prominent

in Upper Canada (now Ontario), where he founded the city of Guelph in 1827, then co-founded the town of Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) with Tiger Dunlop (William "Tiger" Dunlop) that same year. The community of Galt (Cambridge, Ontario) in Ontario was named after him. His three sons played prominent roles in Canadian politics; one of them, Alexander (Alexander Tilloch Galt), was one of the 'Fathers of the Confederation (Canadian Confederation)', and Canada's first Minister of Finance (Minister of Finance (Canada)). He was born in Colborne Township (Colborne Township, Ontario), Huron County (Huron County, Ontario), Canada West, the son of Robert Proudfoot, an immigrant from Scotland. He was educated in Goderich (Goderich, Ontario), studied law at Osgoode Hall and was called to the bar in 1880. Proudfoot set up practice in Goderich. He married Marion F. Dickson in 1886. In 1902, he was named King's Counsel. Occurrence Areas known for their salt mines include Kilroot near Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland (over 100 years old with more than 25 km of passages); Khewra and Warcha in Pakistan; Tuzla in Bosnia (Bosnia and Herzegovina); Wieliczka and Bochnia in Poland (both established in the mid-13th century and still operating, mostly as museums); Hallstatt and Salzkammergut in Austria; Rheinberg in Germany; Slănic, Cacica, Ocnele Mari, Salina Turda, Târgu Ocna, Ocna Sibiului, and Praid in Romania; Provadiya in Bulgaria; Racalmuto, Realmonte and Petralia Soprana , the route is significantly shorter than when it travelled beyond Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) to Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario). However, the Queen Elizabeth Way replaced the role of Highway 8, and it was subsequently transferred from provincial to local jurisdiction. Today the highway connects Hamilton and Cambridge, thereafter continuing through Western Ontario to the community of Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) on the shores of Lake Huron. History Highway 8 is one of the oldest provincial highways in Ontario, having first been established in 1918. Up until the early 1970s, the highway was much longer than its current length, extending from Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) through Kitchener-Waterloo (Regional Municipality of Waterloo), Cambridge (Cambridge, Ontario), and Hamilton to Niagara Falls. However, in 1970, the Government of Ontario decided that the stretch of Highway 8 between Winona (Winona, Ontario) (just east of Hamilton) and Niagara Falls was no longer of major transportation significance, since by this time most traffic used the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), just to the north, to go between the two locales. Accordingly, the province downloaded this section of the highway to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Niagara, which designated the road as Regional Road 81 (Niagara Regional Road 81). In 1998, the provincial government of Mike Harris carried another downloading of the highway to municipal authorities; this time the section between the town of Peters Corners (Peters Corners, Ontario) (near Dundas (Dundas, Ontario)) and Winona was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth. Ontario Highway 8 History - The King's Highways of Ontario The first settler in the area was William Hobson, an agent of the Canada Company who was part of a team that went to Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) in 1829. Hobson preferred the area around what is now Haysville and built a log cabin there. In the 1830s, he built a hotel near the Nith River which became a popular stop on the trail between Guelph and the Huron Tract. Haysville continued to be a busy stage coach stopover until the Grand Trunk Railway arrived in 1856 and bypassed the village and went through New Hamburg instead. - Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) Deb Shewfelt (X) (acc.) -


salt

downed power lines, tore roofs off houses, and left cars and trees scattered along city streets. Hundred-year-old trees surrounding the Goderich Courthouse were uprooted in seconds. The tornado killed one person: Norman Laberge, 61, of Lucknow (Lucknow, Ontario), who was working on a dock associated with a salt mine on the coast of Lake Huron when the storm hit. 37 people were injured. The Environment Canada weather forecast office in Toronto issued a tornado warning for Goderich and southern

Huron County 12 minutes before the tornado struck. The town does not have a tornado siren unlike some other Ontario cities. Industry thumb right Salt mining (File:Goderich salt port.jpg) is an important

economic activity in Goderich. The salt mining industry in Goderich is one of the oldest in Ontario. In 1866, petroleum exploration crews found a massive ancient salt deposit about under the surface.


national news

Goderich&SearchType Begins&SearchPR 01&B1 All&Custom title Goderich community profile publisher Statistics Canada work 2006 Census data (Canada 2006 Census) accessdate 2011-02-01 Media * CIYN-FM-1 (CIYN-FM) 99.7 "myFM" - classic hits * CHWC-FM 104.9 "The Beach" - local news and adult contemporary * CKNX-FM 101.7 "The One" - local, regional and national news and adult contemporary music * CIBU-FM 94.5 91.7 "

;The Bull" - local, regional and national news and classic rock music Flag Goderich has its own official flag which was adopted in 1977 for the town's 125th birthday celebration. Flagspot.net Goderich,Ontario A contest was held, open to all Goderich schools and residents which was won by Judge Carter of St. Vincent St., Goderich. The flag shows the royal crown centered in an octagon (representing the 1 4 mile octagon 3 lane


quot local

, the route is significantly shorter than when it travelled beyond Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) to Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario). However, the Queen Elizabeth Way replaced the role of Highway 8, and it was subsequently transferred from provincial to local jurisdiction. Today the highway connects Hamilton and Cambridge, thereafter continuing through Western Ontario to the community of Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) on the shores of Lake Huron. History Highway 8 is one of the oldest provincial highways in Ontario, having first been established in 1918. Up until the early 1970s, the highway was much longer than its current length, extending from Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) through Kitchener-Waterloo (Regional Municipality of Waterloo), Cambridge (Cambridge, Ontario), and Hamilton to Niagara Falls. However, in 1970, the Government of Ontario decided that the stretch of Highway 8 between Winona (Winona, Ontario) (just east of Hamilton) and Niagara Falls was no longer of major transportation significance, since by this time most traffic used the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), just to the north, to go between the two locales. Accordingly, the province downloaded this section of the highway to the newly-formed Regional Municipality of Niagara, which designated the road as Regional Road 81 (Niagara Regional Road 81). In 1998, the provincial government of Mike Harris carried another downloading of the highway to municipal authorities; this time the section between the town of Peters Corners (Peters Corners, Ontario) (near Dundas (Dundas, Ontario)) and Winona was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth. Ontario Highway 8 History - The King's Highways of Ontario The first settler in the area was William Hobson, an agent of the Canada Company who was part of a team that went to Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) in 1829. Hobson preferred the area around what is now Haysville and built a log cabin there. In the 1830s, he built a hotel near the Nith River which became a popular stop on the trail between Guelph and the Huron Tract. Haysville continued to be a busy stage coach stopover until the Grand Trunk Railway arrived in 1856 and bypassed the village and went through New Hamburg instead. - Goderich (Goderich, Ontario) Deb Shewfelt (X) (acc.) -


title historic'

www.goderich.ca '''Goderich''' (pronounced either God-rich or God-er-ich) is a town in the Canadian province of Ontario and is the county seat of Huron County (Huron County, Ontario). The town was founded by William "Tiger" Dunlop in 1827. ref>

; First laid out in 1828, the town is named after Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich, who was British (United Kingdom) prime minister at the time. The town was officially incorporated in 1850. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the population is 7,521. The area of the town is 7.91 square

on Nav Canada site publisher Nav Canada It is located directly north of the town, and is accessible via the Bluewater Highway (Highway 21 (Ontario)) north of the community. During WWII, The airport was the site of an Elementary Flying Training School (Central Flying School) as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.


402

, Looking West Towards Highway 402.jpg thumb right Highway 401 (Ontario Highway 401) in London looking towards Highway 402 (Ontario Highway 402) from Wellington Road (Wellington Road (London, Ontario)). London is at the junction of Highway 401 (Ontario Highway 401) that connects the city to Toronto and Detroit, and Highway 402 (Ontario Highway 402) to Sarnia.

20080503121435 http: goodmovelondon.com gettingto archivedate 2008-05-03 title Getting to London year 2006 publisher LEDC accessdate 2009-09-27 Also, Highway 403 (Ontario Highway 403), which diverges from the 401 at nearby Woodstock

Goderich, Ontario

'''Goderich''' (pronounced either God-rich or God-er-ich) is a town in the Canadian province of Ontario and is the county seat of Huron County (Huron County, Ontario). The town was founded by William "Tiger" Dunlop in 1827. who was British (United Kingdom) prime minister at the time. The town was officially incorporated in 1850.

As of the Canada 2011 Census, the population is 7,521. The area of the town is 7.91 square kilometres.

Located on the eastern shore of Lake Huron at the mouth of the Maitland River, Goderich is notable for its sunsets. Queen Elizabeth II (Elizabeth II) once commented that Goderich was "the prettiest town in Canada" although no reigning monarch has ever visited Goderich.

The town participates yearly in the Communities in Bloom competition; and has won awards in many categories. In 2012, Goderich was a National Finalist in the competition,

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017