Esztergom

What is Esztergom known for?


year style

* Szekszárd, Hungary, since 2007 Demographics class "wikitable" - valign "top" ! style "background:#efefef;" Year ! style "background:#efefef;" Population ----- 1000

;" Year ! style "background:#efefef;" Population ----- 1880 align "right" 14,944 ----- 1890 align "right" 16,749 ----- 1893¹ align "right" 15,749 ----- 1900 align "right" 16,948 ----- 1910 align "right" 17,881 ----- 1920 align "right" 16,040 ----- 1930 align "right" 17,354 ----- 1943 align "right" 22,170 ----- 1949 align "right

" 20,040 valign "top" ! style "background:#efefef;" Year ! style "background:#efefef;" Population ----- 1957 align "right" 34,000 ----- 1967 align "right" 26,000 ----- 1980 align "right" 30,870 ----- 1990 align "right" 28,730 ----- 2001 align "right" 29,041 ----- 2006 align "right" 30,122 ¹ 9,349 living in the royal city Gallery


painting quot

, but according to the new research the pictures were part of the altar in the Virgin Mary Church, later rebuilt into the fortress called the Old Castle (Old Castle (Banská Štiavnica)). Now there are four Passion paintings in Esztergom,Hungary, in the Christian Museum (Christian Museum (Hungary)); the painting "The Birth of Christ" is held in Svätý Anton (formerly known also as Hontszentantal) near Banská Štiavnica, and The Adoration of the Magi is in the Museum of Lille


quot rich

Britannica publisher Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. year 2008 accessdate 2008-07-29 He was referred to as ''Waic'' by Thietmar of Merseburg. "Vajk" is probably a turkic (Turkic languages) name meaning ''"rich"'' or ''"hero"'', but it may have originated from the Hungarian word for butter ''("vaj")'', as well. in the town of Esztergom. His father was Grand Prince (Grand Prince of the Hungarians) Géza of Hungary; his mother was Sarolt, WikiPedia:Esztergom Commons:Category:Esztergom


quot photographs

series of "Distortions" photographs during the early 1930s. Anonymus (Anonymus Belæ Regis Notarius), the notary of King Béla III (Béla III of Hungary) wrote that a castle already stood here when the Hungarians first occupied the area. The castle was probably a 9th century Frankish (Franks) fortress. The castles of Veszprém, Esztergom and Székesfehérvár, were the earliest Hungarian stone castles, which had already been built during the reign of High Prince Géza (Geza), a time when motte castles were much more common. In 1991, his remains were repatriated to Esztergom by the newly democratically elected government and buried in the basilica (Esztergom Basilica) there. The Mindszenty Museum in Esztergom is dedicated to the life of the churchman. A commemorative statue of Cardinal Mindszenty stands at St. Ladislaus Church in New Brunswick (New Brunswick, New Jersey), New Jersey, U.S. (United States). He is also remembered in Chile, with a memorial in the same park (Parque Bustamante) in which a monument to the martyrs of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution stands. The Bosnian Bishop had the permission from the Pope to raise arms since 1360 and the Hungarian King was to supply them. In 1363, the Hungarian King attempted a double invasion of Tvrtko's Bosnia to resolve Tvrtko from his office. The first and primary target was the city of Soko (Soko, Bosnia and Herzegovina) on Pliva. Tvrtko's Duke Vukac Hrvatinić led a three-day defence against the siege of the city from 8 to 10 July. The Hungarian Palatine Nikola Kont (Nikola Kont Orahovički (Iločki)) was sent later to renew the invasion. He attacked Srebrenik in Usora (Usora (region)). The Hungarians suffered heavy losses and someone even stole the royal seal from its guardian the Archbishop of Esztergom from the Hungarian camp. After this triumph, by 1364 Tvrtko called himself Ban of All Bosnia ''by the mercy of God'' instead of ''by the mercy of the Hungarian King''. The Republic of Venetia, Hungary's old enemy nominated Tvrtko as its honorary citizen. The war strengthened the Bosnian nobility. Prince Sanko Miltenović and the Dabišić brothers have stopped recognizing the Ban's supreme rule and numerous Venetian (Republic of Venice) and Ragusan (Republic of Ragusa) trade caravans have been raided by the lesser nobility. Anarchy ruled in Tvrtko's Bosnia. One version of the origin of the crown is written by bishop Hartvik (between 1095–1116), in which the "Pope" has sent King Stephen I "his blessings and a crown". The basis for this belief is a biography by bishop Hartvik written around 1100-1110 at the request of King Könyves Kálmán. According to "Hartvik’s legend", St Stephen sent Archbishop Astrik of Esztergom to Rome to ask for or require (both are possible from original Latin script) a crown from the "Pope", but it does not tell the name of the Pope. No matter how much Astrik hurried, the Polish (Poland) prince, Mieszko I (Mieszko I of Poland)'s envoy was quicker, and the crown was prepared for the future Polish king. The Pope had seen a dream during the night, seeing the angel of the Lord telling him there will be another envoy from another nation, asking for a crown for their own king. The angel told the Pope: "There will be another envoy from an unknown folk, who will ask for or require a crown, too, please give the crown to them, as they deserve it". The next day Astrik approached the Pope so he gave the crown to him. "Hartvik’s legend" appeared in the liturgical books and breviaries in Hungary around 1200, recalling the then-existing Pope, Pope Sylvester II. Consequently the story of how the crown had been sent by Pope Sylvester II spread throughout the Christian world, so in 1613, crown guard Péter Révai states that the entire crown was given to St Stephen by Pope Sylvester II. However, this legend can be considered biased, as Mieszko I was not living at the same time as either St. Stephen I or Pope Sylvester II. Also, in the "Greater Legend" of St Stephen, written around the time he was canonised (1083), we learn only that "in the fifth year after the death of his father (...) they brought a Papal letter of blessings (...) and the Lord’s favoured one, Stephen, was chosen to be king, and was anointed with oil and fortunately crowned with the diadem of royal honour". This legend clearly lacks the information that the crown was from Rome. Moreover, there are no documents found in Vatican City on the granting of the crown, even though the Vatican has a clear interest in handing over the crown from Rome, as it is representing dominance over the Kingdom of Hungary. * 1991: Car production started in Korea through technical ties with Daewoo Shipbuilding & Heavy Machinery Ltd and Cappuccino (Suzuki Cappuccino) 2-seater marketed. * 1993: Passenger car production sales began at Suzuki Egypt S.A.E., opening ceremony for new car production plant held at Magyar Suzuki Corp. (Magyar Suzuki) in Esztergom, Hungary and Wagon R (Suzuki Wagon R) passenger car marketed. * 1994: Maruti Udyog Ltd. (Maruti Udyog) of India total aggregate (aggregate data) car production reached 1 million units. He was the grandson of Taksony (Taksony of Hungary). His father was Michael (Mihály), Duke between Morava (Morava (river)) (March) and Esztergom (Hron or Gran) (– ca 978 or bef. 997) and his mother was Michael's wife Adelajda of Poland (– aft. 997), daughter or sister of Mieszko I of Poland. His brother was Ladislaus the Bald. He was a cousin of Stephen I of Hungary. He took part in a conspiracy aimed at murdering king Stephen (Stephen I of Hungary). As a result of the failed assassination attempt, he was excluded from the royal succession in favour of Peter Orseolo (Peter Urseolo of Hungary). As punishment for his treason, Vazul had his eyes gouged out at Nitra Castle and molten lead poured in his ears and his sons were exiled. Denis Sinor, History of Hungary (London: George Allen and Unwin Ltd., 1959) 41. In the meantime, in 1538, the Ottoman Empire invaded Moldavia. In 1541, another campaign in Hungary took Buda and Pest (Pest (city)) (which today together form the Hungarian capital Budapest) with a largely bloodless trick: after concluding peace talks with an agreement, troops stormed the open gates of Buda in the night. In retaliation for a failed Austrian counter-attack in 1542, the conquest of the western half of central Hungary was finished in the 1543 campaign that took both the most important royal ex-capital, Székesfehérvár, and the ex-seat of the cardinal, Esztergom. However, the army of 35–40,000 men was not enough for Suleiman (Suleiman the Magnificent) to mount another attack on Vienna. A temporary truce was signed between the Habsburg and Ottoman Empires in 1547, which was soon disregarded by the Habsburgs. thumb 200px The Ottoman campaign in Hungary in 1566, Crimean Tatars as vanguard (File:Szigetvar 1566.jpg) left thumb 410px Hungarian King Ladislaus I of Hungary (File:Ladislaus (left) Cuman (right).jpg) (left) fighting with a Cuman Warrior (right) Cumania was also preserved as part of the Roman Catholic ecclesiastical structure with a "Diocese of Cumania" existing until 1523 in what is now Romania, long after the Cumans ceased to be a distinct group in the area. At Milcov, years earlier, in 1227, the Cuman warlord Bortz accepted Catholic Christianity from missionary Dominican (Dominican Order) monks. Pope Gregory IX heard about the mass conversion of the Cumans, and on 1 July 1227 empowered Robert, Archbishop of Esztergom, to represent him to Cumania and in neighbouring Land of the Brodnici. Teodoric, the bishop of this new diocese, became the guardian of the Dominican Order in the Kingdom of Hungary. The letter of Pope Gregory the IXth: Capitals The capital of the county was the Esztergom Castle and the town of Esztergom, then from 1543 onwards - when the territory became part of the Ottoman Empire - the capital was outside the county (e. g. 1605-1663 in Érsekújvár), and finally from 1714 onwards the capital was the town of Esztergom. History A predecessor of the county existed as early as in the 9th century, when Esztergom (called ''Ostrihom'' at that time) was one of the most important castles of Great Moravia. The Esztergom county as a comitatus (Comitatus (Kingdom of Hungary)) arose at the end of the 10th century as one of the first comitatus of the Kingdom of Hungary. The county had a special status in that since 1270 its heads were at the same time the archbishops of Esztergom. production 2004–2010 2004–2011 (India) 2010–present (Pakistan) assembly China: Chongqing Hungary: Esztergom India: Manesar Indonesia: Bekasi WikiPedia:Esztergom Commons:Category:Esztergom


site de

'', ''to guard'', similar to for example ''Strážov'' near Žilina - ''village of guards'' The Magyars added a vowel in front of the initial group of consonants, similar to the Hungarian adaption of 'Stephan


heavy+battle

Guards Tank Army 4th Guards Army . A heavy battle ensued, with the ''Wiking'' and the ''Totenkopf'' seeing many of the Red Army tanks destroyed. In three days, they had driven 45 kilometres over rugged terrain, over half the distance from their start point to Budapest. The Soviets maneuvered forces to block the advance, and they barely managed to halt the advance at Bicske, only 28 kilometres from Budapest. Gille pulled the ''Wiking'' out of the line and moved it to the south of Esztergom, near the Danube bend. The second relief attempt, to be known as Operation Konrad II, got under way on 7 January. - 7 Magyar Suzuki Corporation Esztergom Hungary Opel Vauxhall Agila Suzuki Splash Suzuki Swift Suzuki SX4 Fiat Sedici 1991   Suzuki plant - Former lines Today there are four (+1 side line to Csömör) HÉV lines in and around Budapest, but at the turn of the 19th to 20th century there were another four HÉV lines around Budapest: Esztergom HÉV (today suburban railway, since 1931 owned by Hungarian State Railways), Lajosmizse HÉV (suburban railway, also part of the Hungarian State Railways), Törökbálint HÉV (mostly demolished, the remained line is tram no. 41, owned by BKV) and Budafok HÉV (today tram no. 47, owned by BKV also). map_caption location Esztergom, Hungary geo WikiPedia:Esztergom Commons:Category:Esztergom


technical ties

, Stephen, was chosen to be king, and was anointed with oil and fortunately crowned with the diadem of royal honour". This legend clearly lacks the information that the crown was from Rome. Moreover, there are no documents found in Vatican City on the granting of the crown, even though the Vatican has a clear interest in handing over the crown from Rome, as it is representing dominance over the Kingdom of Hungary. * 1991: Car production started in Korea through technical ties


vast collection

used since the 13th century, the ornate chalices, Francesco Francia’s processional cross, the upper part of the well-known ‘Matthias-Calvary’ which is decorated in the rare ronde-bosse enamel (Vitreous enamel) technique. The Treasury also has a vast collection of traditional Hungarian and European textiles, including chasubles, liturgical vestments and robes. The sound of the enormous bell hung in the southern tower can be heard from kilometers away. From the top of the large dome

century, the ornate chalices, Francesco Francia’s processional cross, the upper part of the well-known ‘Matthias-Calvary’ which is decorated in the rare ronde-bosse enamel technique, also there is a vast collection of traditional Hungarian and European textiles, including chasubles, liturgical vestments and robes. thumb right 200px Entrance staircase of Basilica crypt of Esztergom Cathedral (image:Esztergom - bazilika altemplom lejatat.JPG) **


beautiful paintings

Béla III. With his wife - the daughter of Louis VII (Louis VII of France) - French architects arrived and constructed the late-Roman and early-Gothic building at the end of the 12th century. The frescoes of the palace chapel date from the 12th-14th centuries, while on the walls of the mottes, some of the most beautiful paintings of the early Hungarian Renaissance can be admired (15th century). From the terrace of the palace one can admire the landscape of Esztergom. Under the terrace are the houses and churches of the Bishop-town section, or '‘Víziváros'’ (Watertown) and the Primate's Palace. Opposite the palace is the Saint Thomas hill, and surrounded by the mountains and the Danube. The walls of the castle still stand on the northern part of the Basilica. From the northern rondella one can admire the view of Párkány on the other side of the Danube as well as the Szentgyörgymező, the Danube valley, and the So-called ‘Víziváros’ (Watertown) districts. The Víziváros (Watertown) section was named after being built on the banks of the Kis- and Nagy Duna (Small and Great Danube). Its fortresses, walls, bastions and Turkish (Ottoman Empire) rondellas can still be seen by the walk on the banks of the Danube. By the northern end of the wall, on the bank of the Nagy-Duna, an interesting memorial is put, a stone table with Ottoman Turkish writings commemorates Sultan Suleiman’s victorious siege of 1543. The narrow, winding streets within the walls hide the remains of Turkish mosques and baths. Along the delightful streets of the Víziváros (Watertown), surrounded by Baroque and Classicist buildings stands the Primate's Palace, designed by József Lippert (1880–82). The Keresztény Múzeum (Christian museum), founded by Archbishop János Simor, is located in this building. It houses a rich collection of Hungarian panel pictures and sculpture of the Middle Ages as well as Italian and western-European paintings and handicrafts (13th-18th centuries). This is where one can admire the chapel-like structure of the late Gothic (Gothic architecture) ‘Úrkoporsó’ (Lord's coffin) from Garamszentbenedek that is decorated by painted wooden sculptures (c. 1480), the winged altar-piece by Thomas of Coloswar (1427), paintings by Master M.S. (1506), the gothic altars from Upper Historical Hungary (Felvidék), handicrafts of Italian, German and Flemish artists from the 13th–17th centuries, tapestries and ceramics. The building of the Balassa Bálint Museum that was built in Baroque style on medieval bases and is located in Víziváros (Watertown), served as the first town hall of Esztergom county after the Turks had been driven out of the region. The parish-church in the centre of the Víziváros (Watertown), which was built by the Jesuits between 1728 and 1738, and the single-towered Franciscan churches are also masterpieces of Baroque architecture. The Cathedral Library standing in the southern part of the town, which was built in 1853 according to plans by József Hild is one of the richest religious libraries of Hungary, accommodating approximately 250,000 books, among which several codices and incunabula can be found, such as the Latin explanation of the ‘Song of Songs’ from the 12th century, the ‘Lövöföldi Corvina’ originating from donations of King Matthias, or the Jordánszky-codex, which includes the Hungarian translation of the Bible from 1516-1519. Along with Bakócz and Ulászló graduals, they conserve also the Balassa Bible, in which Balassa’s uncle, Balassa András wrote down the circumstances of his birth and death. The main sight of the nearby ‘Szent-Tamás hegy’ (Saint Thomas Hill) is the Baroque Calvary, with the Classicist chapel on the top of the hill, which was built to commemorate the heroes who died for Esztergom. The hill was named after a church built by Bishop Lukács Bánffy in memoriam the martyr Saint Thomas Becket, who had been his fellow student at the University of Paris. The church and the small castle which the Turks built there were destroyed a long time ago. On its original spot, the top of the hill, the narrow winding streets and small houses that were built by the masters who were working on the construction of the Basilica at the beginning of the previous century, have an atmosphere that is similar to that of Tabán in Buda. At the foot of the hill are the swimming pool and the Classicist building of the Fürdő Szálló (Bath Hotel). This is where Lajos Kossuth stayed in 1848 on one of his recruiting tours. On the southern slopes of the hill there is a Mediterranean, winding path with stairs that lead to the Baroque Saint Stephen chapel. The main square of the town is the Széchényi square. Of the several buildings of Baroque, Rococo and Classicist style, there is one that catches everyone’s eyes: the Town Hall. Originally, it used to be the single-floor curia of Vak Bottyán (János Bottyán, Bottyán the Blind), the Kuruc general (1689). The first floor was constructed on its top in 1729. The house burnt down in the 1750s. It was rebuilt in accordance with the plans of a local architect, Antal Hartmann. Upon its façade there is a red marble carving which presents the coat of arms of Esztergom (a palace within the castle walls, protected by towers, with the Árpáds’ shields below.) On the corner of the building the equestrian statue of Vak Bottyán (created by István Martsa) commemorates the original owner of the house. The Trinity-statue in the middle of the square was created by György Kiss in 1900. In Bottyán János Street, near the Town Hall, there are well decorated Baroque houses. This is where the Franciscan church is located (built between 1700–1755). Opposite this building there is a Baroque palace which used to belong to the Sándor Earl family. In the direction of the Kis Duna, the downtown parish-church, built by the architect Ignác Oratsek can be admired. A bit farther is the Classicist Church of Saint Anne. The orthodox (Eastern Orthodox Church) church at 60 Kossuth Lajos street was built around 1770 by Serbian (Serbs) settlers in Esztergom. This town, with its spectacular scenery and numerous memorials, a witness of the struggles of Hungarian history, is popular mostly with tourists interested in the beauties of the past and art. However, the town seems to regain its role in the country’s politics, and its buildings and traditions revive. Industry The Magyar Suzuki Corporation plant opened in 1992, as the European base of the Japanese automotive manufacturer Suzuki. It has a production capacity of 300,000 vehicles per year and it is the biggest employing company in the city, with 3,100 employees. WikiPedia:Esztergom Commons:Category:Esztergom


early works

Fra Filippo Lippi ; Lightbown, p. 20. many of his early works have been attributed to the elder master, and attributions continue to be uncertain. Influenced also by the monumentality of Masaccio's painting, it was from Lippi that Botticelli learned a more intimate and detailed manner. As recently discovered, during this time, Botticelli could have traveled to Hungary, participating in the creation of a fresco in Esztergom, ordered in the workshop of Filippo

Esztergom

'''Esztergom''' ( northwest of the capital (Capital (political)) Budapest. It lies in Komárom-Esztergom county, on the right bank of the river Danube, which forms the border with Slovakia there.

Esztergom was the capital of Hungary (Capitals of Hungary) from the 10th till the mid-13th century when King Béla IV of Hungary moved the royal seat to Buda.

Esztergom is the seat of the ''prímás'' (see Primate (Primate (bishop))) of the Roman Catholic Church in Hungary, and the former seat of the Constitutional Court of Hungary. The city has the Keresztény Múzeum, the largest ecclesiastical collection in Hungary. Its cathedral, Esztergom Basilica is the largest church in Hungary.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017