concerts, entertainment extravaganzas and the annual International Opera Festival are held. Get in Caesarea National Park is on the coastal road, near the city of Caesarea and Kibbutz Sdot Yam and west of Or Akiva. Take the coastal road or the old Tel Aviv-Haifa highway number 2 to the interchange near the Orot Rabin power station. An alternate route is to drive to the park via Or Akiva. Get around See thumb 250px A portion of the Crusader walls and moat still standing today (File:Crusader Walls and Moat in Caesarea.jpg) *
;p. 219, ''Byzantine garden culture'', Antony Robert Littlewood, Henry Maguire, and Joachim Wolschke-Bulmahn, Dumbarton Oaks, 2002, ISBN 0-88402-280-3. The medieval Egyptian (History of Arab Egypt) city of Fustat had a number of high-rise buildings that Nasir Khusraw in the early 11th century described as rising up to 14 stories, with roof gardens on the top story complete with ox-drawn water wheels for irrigating them.
; some of whom he housed in Tiberias, which also caused Claudius some displeasure. Herod's Temple was one of the larger construction projects of the 1st century BCE. Herod was interested in perpetuating his name for all eternity through building projects, and his construction program was extensive. He had magnificent palaces in Masada, Caesarea and Tiberias. Herod built temples for various pagan gods to serve the gentile populations, which
, the Acts of Gurias and Samuna, the works of Ephrem Syrus (partly published in four volumes by the Mechitharists of Venice). In these first years of the 5th century were composed some of the apocryphal works which, like the Discourses attributed to St. Gregory and the History of Armenia said to have come from Agathangelus (Agathangelos), are asserted to be the works of these and other well-known men. This early period of Armenian literature also produced many original
compositions. Eznik of Kolb wrote a "Refutation of the Sects", and Koryun the "History of the Life of St. Mesrop and of the Beginnings of Armenian Literature". These men, both of whom were disciples of Mesrop, bring to an end what may be called the golden age of Armenian literature. Armenia man made structures Early veneration One of them was built at Caesarea, in Cappadocia, and it was in this church that Basil publicly delivered his homily. Gregory of Nyssa was a special client of these holy martyrs. Two discourses in praise of them, preached by him in the church dedicated to them, are still preserved P. G., XLVI, 749 sqq., 773 sqq. and upon the death of his parents, he laid them to rest beside the relics of the confessors. Ephrem the Syrian has also eulogized the forty Martyrs. ''Hymni in SS. 40 martyres''. Sozomen, who was an eye-witness, has left an interesting account of the finding of the relics in Constantinople, in the shrine of saint Thyrsus built by Caesarius (Caesarius (consul 397)), through the instrumentality of the Empress Pulcheria. ''Historia Ecclesiastica'', IX, 2 History See Niğde Province for a summary of the history of the region, which goes back a long way. This is rich famland near a number of ancient trade routes, particularly the road from Kayseri (ancient Caesarea) to the Cilician Gates. Settlers throughout history include Hittites, Assyrians (ancient Assyrians), Greeks, Romans (Ancient Rome), Byzantines (Byzantine Greeks) and finally Turks (Turkic peoples) from 1166 onwards. By the early 13th century Niğde was one of the largest cities in Anatolia. After the fall of the Sultanate of Rûm (of which it had been one of the principal cities), Niğde became independent, and, according to Ibn Battuta, ruinous, and did not pass into Ottoman hands till the time of Mehmet II. thumb right 300px Noah’s Ark (illustration from the 1493 Nuremberg Chronicle (File:Nuremberg chronicles f 11r 1.png)) Similarly, Rabbi Jose of Caesarea read the words, "He is swift upon the face of the waters; their portion is cursed in the earth, he turns not by the way of the vineyards," in
one story high (with the exception of the house of the governor.) Some houses on the western side of the village, near the sea, have survived. There were a number of mosques in the village in the nineteenth century, but only one ("The Bosnian mosque") has survived. This mosque, located at the southern end of the city, next to the harbour, is described as a simple stone building with a red-tiled roof and a cylindrical minaret. It was used (in 1992) as a restaurant and as a gift shop. Petersen, 2001, p.129-130 British Mandate The Jewish kibbutz of Sdot Yam was established
military commander who was then beginning a brilliant career. Procopius ''Wars of Justinian'' 1.12.24. Procopius speaks of becoming Belisarius' ''symboulos'', 'advisor', in that year. DATE OF BIRTH 500 PLACE OF BIRTH Caesarea, Palestine DATE OF DEATH 565 Pisa sacked the Tunisian city of Mahdia in 1088. Four years later Pisan and Genoese ships helped Alfonso VI of Castilla to push El Cid out of Kingdom of Valencia Valencia
of the Bible Edited by Watson E. Mills, Roger Aubrey Bullard, Mercer University Press, (1998) ISBN 0865543739 p 917 It was to be its final meeting place before its disbanding in the early Byzantine period. Following the expulsion of all Jews from Jerusalem after 135, Tiberias and its neighbor Sepphoris became the major Jewish centres. From the time when Yochanan bar Nafcha (d. 279) settled in Tiberias, the city became the focus of Jewish religious
scholarship in the land. The Mishnah along with the Jerusalem Talmud, (the written discussions of generations of rabbis in the Land of Israel – primarily in the academies of Tiberias and Caesarea), was probably compiled in Tiberias by Rabbi Judah haNasi in around 200 CE. The 13 synagogues served the spiritual needs of a growing Jewish population. thumb 375px Raymond of Poitiers welcoming Louis VII in Antioch. alt Painting of two men meeting in front of a city gate. Both men are in front of crowds of other people. The one on the left is bareheaded and holds his hat in one hand while he bows to the other figure, who is dressed in blue embroidered robes and wears a crown. (File:RaymondOfPoitiersWelcomingLouisVIIinAntioch.JPG) Louis eventually arrived in Antioch on March 19 after being delayed by storms; Amadeus of Savoy had died on Cyprus along the way. Louis was welcomed by Eleanor's uncle Raymond of Poitiers (Raymond of Antioch). Raymond expected him to help defend against the Turks and to accompany him on an expedition against Aleppo, the Muslim city that was the gateway to Edessa, but Louis refused, preferring instead to finish his pilgrimage to Jerusalem rather than focus on the military aspect of the crusade.
aspirations in the county. The claim that Raymond had poisoned Alphonso caused much of the Provençal force to turn back and go home.
evenings of top-class jazz performances by leading international artists. Furthermore, the Ralli Museum in Caesarea houses a large collection of South American art and several Salvador Dalí originals.
" Caesarea Foundation thumb 250px The Ralli Museum in Caesarea (File:תמונה 1097.jpg) The Caesarea Edmond Benjamin de Rothschild Development Corporation (Hebrew: החברה לפיתוח קיסריה אדמונד בנימין דה רוטשילד) is the operational arm of the ''Caesarea Edmond Benjamin de Rothschild Foundation'', whose goal is to establish a unique community that combines quality of life and safeguarding the environment with advanced industry and tourism. Today, the Chairman of the Caesarea
'''Caesarea''' ( It is the only Israeli locality managed by a private organization, the Caesarea Development Corporation, About the CDC and also one of the most populous localities not recognized as a local council (local council (Israel)). It lies under the jurisdiction of the Hof HaCarmel Regional Council.
The town was built by Herod the Great about 25–13 BCE as the port city Caesarea Maritima. It served as an administrative center of Judaea Province of the Roman Empire, and later the capital of the Byzantine Palaestina Prima province during the classic period. Following the Muslim conquest (Muslim conquest of the Levant) in the 7th century, the city had an Arab majority until Crusader renovation, but was again abandoned after the Mamluk conquest. It was populated in 1884 by Bosniak immigrants, who settled in a small fishing village. In 1940, kibbutz Sdot Yam was established next to the village. In February 1948 the village was conquered by a Palmach unit commanded by Yitzhak Rabin, its people already having fled following an attack by the Stern Gang. In 1952, a Jewish town of Caesarea was established near the ruins of the old city, which were made into the national park of Caesarea Maritima.