Bansha

What is Bansha known for?


historical social

list. The few years of life which remained to him he spent at Bansha Castle in Ireland, devoted chiefly to the cause of education. He was a frequent lecturer both in Dublin and the provinces on historical, social, and economic questions—he had been an admirer of Charles Stewart Parnell. He was a member of the senate of the National University of Ireland, and a commissioner of the Board of National Education. In June, 1906, he was appointed Knight


shows quot

;. The only buildings on the site prior to development were the village telephone exchange erected in the 1960s and the "Farmers Hall", a wooden building of fragile construction, which was erected in the mid 20th century by the young farmers association in the parish which was a precursor of Macra na Feirme. It was used for dancing, variety shows, "pongo" and on Sunday afternoons up to about 1962, as a rendezvous by locals who wished to tune into the commentary of major hurling


ist

timezone1 WET (Western European Time) utc_offset1 +0 timezone1_DST IST (Irish Standard Time) (WEST (Western European Summer Time)) utc_offset1_DST -1 latd 52 latm 27 latNS N longd 8 longm 04 longEW W coordinates_type dim:100000_region:IE elevation_footnotes elevation_m 68 blank_name Irish Grid Reference (Irish grid reference system) blank_info !--


major+visual

clubs enjoy a friendly co-existence as many of their football players are members of both clubs. Bansha has also long been associated with horse racing and breeding in its many facets. Recently, the village of Bansha has been improved by major visual and infrastructural developments which have greatly enhanced it image both locally and nationally. This is due to a small but enthusiastic group of residents who have undertaken a number of initiatives to make the village a very pleasant place


wooden building

;. The only buildings on the site prior to development were the village telephone exchange erected in the 1960s and the "Farmers Hall", a wooden building of fragile construction, which was erected in the mid 20th century by the young farmers association in the parish which was a precursor of Macra na Feirme. It was used for dancing, variety shows, "pongo" and on Sunday afternoons up to about 1962, as a rendezvous by locals who wished to tune into the commentary of major hurling


industry location

-Reformation (English Reformation) parish of Templeneiry of which the townland name of Templenahurney is thought to be a corruption. While the village is the focal point of the area, there is also an outlying hamlet in the parish, located at Rossadrehid where a rural creamery once serviced the dairy industry. Location Bansha is located on the National Primary Route (N24 (N24 road (Ireland))) linking the cities of Limerick and Waterford and is eight kilometres south-east of Tipperary Town and thirteen kilometres north-west of Cahir. The village is strategically located on the eastern approaches to the Glen of Aherlow, which forms a large part of the parish as do the Galtee Mountains (spelt Galty Mountains on Ordnance Survey maps), which has the highest inland mountain peak in Ireland, Galtymore (917 metres, or 3,009 ft). The Roman Catholic Parish Church of the Annunciation, built in 1807, is centrally located in the village as is the Church of Ireland, for the parish of Templeneiry, known to be in use from 1718 but now closed as unviable because of a dwindling local congregation. However, the building which has an imposing spire, erected in 1814, is used for community purposes and the surrounding graveyard is still used for burials by the old families of the area. The River Ara flows by the village and the railway line from Limerick to Waterford also passes through, though the railway station which opened on 1 May 1852, was closed on 9 September 1963 '''Kilmoyler''' is a townland in the civil parish of Killardry in the barony (Barony (Ireland)) of Clanwilliam (Clanwilliam, barony, Tipperary), South Tipperary in Ireland (Republic of Ireland). It is part of the parish of '''Bansha and Kilmoyler''' in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. The Galtee Mountains and River Suir dominate the landscape here. It is located approximately halfway between the towns of Cahir and Bansha on the River Suir and is more closely associated with Bansha through its ecclesiastical and sporting ties, the parish being united with Bansha in 1858 and in a sporting context, the community is an integral part of the Galtee Rovers GAA Club which has its club grounds and clubhouse in Bansha village. The land is very fertile and agriculture predominates with dairying as the main occupation.


variety shows

;. The only buildings on the site prior to development were the village telephone exchange erected in the 1960s and the "Farmers Hall", a wooden building of fragile construction, which was erected in the mid 20th century by the young farmers association in the parish which was a precursor of Macra na Feirme. It was used for dancing, variety shows, "pongo" and on Sunday afternoons up to about 1962, as a rendezvous by locals who wished to tune into the commentary of major hurling


famous paintings

Viscount of Ireland. Lady Butler died in 1933 in her 87th year and is buried at Stamullen graveyard in County Meath, just up the road from Gormanston. Among her many famous paintings is ''The Roll Call'' depicting a scene in the Crimean War. This painting was bought by Queen Victoria and forms part of the royal collection and is now in Buckingham Palace. Her daughter Eileen suffered great loss during the second World War when two of her three sons, William (16th Lord Gormanston) and Stephen were killed in action at Dunkirk (1940) and Anzio (1944) respectively. Both boys, together with their brother Robert and sister Antoinette, spent many childhood days at Bansha Castle where they were once marooned during the civil war when Bansha and the surrounding area was the cockpit for fighting between the Free State forces and the local republicans. Descendants of Sir William and Lady Elizabeth include their Great-grandson Jenico Nicholas Preston, 17th Viscount Gormanston of London. McCarthy family of Springhouse The '''MacCarthy Reagh''' family of Carbery in west Cork were aristocrats of the old gaelic order, Princes of the medieval Barony of Carbery. Since early in the 15th century, they had their principal seat at Kilbrittain Castle, near Kinsale. Denis McCarthy Reagh, Chief of the McCarthy Reaghs settled at Springhouse, near Bansha in the late 17th century where he built a mansion and had an estate of '''Kilmoyler''' is a townland in the civil parish of Killardry in the barony (Barony (Ireland)) of Clanwilliam (Clanwilliam, barony, Tipperary), South Tipperary in Ireland (Republic of Ireland). It is part of the parish of '''Bansha and Kilmoyler''' in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. The Galtee Mountains and River Suir dominate the landscape here. It is located approximately halfway between the towns of Cahir and Bansha on the River Suir and is more closely associated with Bansha through its ecclesiastical and sporting ties, the parish being united with Bansha in 1858 and in a sporting context, the community is an integral part of the Galtee Rovers GAA Club which has its club grounds and clubhouse in Bansha village. The land is very fertile and agriculture predominates with dairying as the main occupation.


agricultural show

at the junction of the glen road leading to the Glen of Aherlow. A member of the 'Coolavunga' branch of the family - James McCarthy Reagh, wrote a poem entitled "The Haunted Village", which is sometimes recited on social occasions by the older people of the village. Contemporary scene There is a vibrant contemporary scene in Bansha which is experiencing an unprecedented increase in population due to new housing developments. The Bansha Agricultural Show is held annually and in recent


family

, published in 1837. Historically, it was a small compact village comprising two streets and two lanes - Main Street and Barrack Street with adjacent Banner's Lane (named after the Rev. Benjamin Holford Banner, the Church of Ireland rector of the Parish of Templeneiry) and Cooke's Lane which was a small enclave off Main Street, named after a member of the Cooke Family of Cordangan Manor, who lived here. The Station Road from Bansha Bridge (over the River Ara) to Bansha railway

. McCarthy family of Springhouse The '''MacCarthy Reagh''' family of Carbery in west Cork were aristocrats of the old gaelic order, Princes of the medieval Barony of Carbery. Since early in the 15th century, they had their principal seat at Kilbrittain Castle, near Kinsale. Denis McCarthy Reagh, Chief of the McCarthy Reaghs settled at Springhouse, near Bansha in the late 17th century where he built a mansion and had an estate of , which in its day

. Because of his illustrious Irish ancestry he was ennobled by King Louis XVI as Count of Toulouse in 1776 and was admitted to the honours of the French Royal Court in Paris. He and his family resided in splendour at their palatial townhouse at 3, Rue Mage in the city of Toulouse. The best known of the Count's children was the Abbe Nicholas Tuite MacCarthy, also known as the Abbe de Levignac after one of the Count's properties. He was a famous jesuit preacher, who is buried

Bansha

'''Bansha''' ( ) is a village in County Tipperary in Ireland (Republic of Ireland). The village is part of the parish of "Bansha and Kilmoyler" (united in 1858) in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. It is in the historical barony (Barony (Ireland)) of Clanwilliam (Clanwilliam, barony, Tipperary). Bansha is co-extensive with the pre-Reformation (English Reformation) parish of Templeneiry of which the townland name of Templenahurney is thought to be a corruption. While the village is the focal point of the area, there is also an outlying hamlet in the parish, located at Rossadrehid where a rural creamery once serviced the dairy industry.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017