Ballyconnell

What is Ballyconnell known for?


Olphert

(N3 (N3 road (Ireland))) – Ballyconnell – Swanlinbar – (border with Northern Ireland where it becomes the A32) - The Belturbet to Dromod part of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway ran from Belturbet through Tomkin Road, Ballyconnell, Ballyheady, Bawnboy Road (Bawnboy), Killyran, Garadice, Ballinamore, Lawderdale, Fenagh (Fenagh, County Leitrim), Adoon, Rosharry, Mohill and Dereen to Dromod. * the Olphert family (Ballyconnell, Ireland) The motto and the family coat of arms is still visible above the door at Ballyconnell House, Donegal


lead silver

lead, silver, coal, limestone, granite, marble, gravel, sand and iron were all mined from Slieve Rushen mountain. Sport The first GAA club in Ulster was founded in Ballyconnell in 1885 and named Ballyconnell First Ulsters . See also * Tomregan * Tullyhaw * Market Houses in Ireland (Market Houses in the Republic of Ireland) * George Montgomery (MP) * Alexander Montgomery (1686–1729) * Annagh, County Cavan Annagh


ireland

settlement_type Town image_skyline Ballyconnell main street.JPG image_caption Ballyconnell Main Street. pushpin_map Ireland pushpin_label_position right pushpin_map_caption Location in Ireland coordinates_display inline,title

coordinates_region IE subdivision_type Country subdivision_name Ireland (Republic of Ireland) subdivision_type1 Province (Provinces of Ireland) subdivision_name1 Ulster subdivision_type3 County (Counties of Ireland) subdivision_name3 County Cavan established_title established_date unit_pref Metric area_footnotes area_total_km2 population_as_of 2006 population_footnotes

Irish Grid Reference (Irish grid reference system) blank_info ) is a town in County Cavan, Ireland (Republic of Ireland). It is situated on the N87 (N87 road (Ireland)) national secondary road at the junction of four townlands Annagh


amp size

538_Ballyconnell&path . pix townplans &townplan 1 An 1857 street plan of the town *Old Ballyconnell maps & Photos *The Tidy Towns of Ireland "Celebrating 50 years" *PKFHSPKFHS amp;size f&type a1 Aerial photo of town from buildingsofireland.ie *


century lead

agricultural, but it also has a large cement factory (owned by former billionaire businessman, Sean Quinn), a plastics factory and an animal feeds plant. Tourism is an important part of the town's economy with cabin cruisers using it as a stopping place when navigating the Shannon-Erne Waterway. The town has a proud record in the National Tidy Towns Competition, winning the overall award in 1971 & 1975, together with many County winner awards through the years. In the 18th century

lead, silver, coal, limestone, granite, marble, gravel, sand and iron were all mined from Slieve Rushen mountain. Sport The first GAA club in Ulster was founded in Ballyconnell in 1885 and named Ballyconnell First Ulsters . See also * Tomregan * Tullyhaw * Market Houses in Ireland (Market Houses in the Republic of Ireland) * George Montgomery (MP) * Alexander Montgomery (1686–1729) * Annagh, County Cavan Annagh


stories high

- The Belturbet to Dromod part of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway ran from Belturbet through Tomkin Road, Ballyconnell, Ballyheady, Bawnboy Road (Bawnboy), Killyran, Garadice, Ballinamore, Lawderdale, Fenagh (Fenagh, County Leitrim), Adoon, Rosharry, Mohill and Dereen to Dromod. * the Olphert family (Ballyconnell, Ireland) The motto and the family coat of arms is still visible above the door at Ballyconnell House, Donegal


strong defensive

of Land Holders'' found that Talbot had built a strong defensive wall called a bawn, which was a square measuring along each side and 12 ft high, with two flanking towers. Within the bawn was erected a strong castle of lime and stone three stories high which "''stands in a very good and convenient place for the strength and service of the country''".


building stone

progressed with building work. Sir Josias Bodley reported on 6 February 1613-''"Porportion No. 29: 1,500 acres. On the proportion undertaken by Capt. Culme and Walter Talbot, there are 3 or 4 handsome Irish houses by them built, and some provision made towards the building of a castle in a most convenient place for occasions of service, being near a special ford or passage, by which in times past that county was much infested. The quarry of limestone and building stone is on the place, good store of lime already burnt, and of building stone digged, much timber and planks drawn thither already, and the rest provided in a wood not above a mile off, so that this next summer the whole work, I suppose both of castle and bawn will be perfected."'' Survey of Undertakers in Co. of Cavan 6 Feb. 1613- Tullaghagh Servitors, in Report of Manuscripts of Reginald Rawdon Hastings, Historical Manuscripts Commission, London 1947, vol. IV, p. 164 By 1619 ''Pynnar's Survey of Land Holders'' found that Talbot had built a strong defensive wall called a bawn, which was a square measuring - The Belturbet to Dromod part of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway ran from Belturbet through Tomkin Road, Ballyconnell, Ballyheady, Bawnboy Road (Bawnboy), Killyran, Garadice, Ballinamore, Lawderdale, Fenagh (Fenagh, County Leitrim), Adoon, Rosharry, Mohill and Dereen to Dromod. * the Olphert family (Ballyconnell, Ireland) The motto and the family coat of arms is still visible above the door at Ballyconnell House, Donegal


year amp

was recently uncovered in an archaeological excavation. Walter Talbot died on 26 June 1625 at Ballyconnell and his son James Talbot succeeded to the Ballyconnell estate aged just 10 years. James Talbot married Helen Calvert, the daughter of George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore of Maryland, USA, in 1635 and had a son Colonel George Talbot who owned


bawnboy

. W. Malcomson url http: books.google.co.uk books?id _WavuZbI41UC&pg PA237&lpg PA237&dq %22george+montgomery%22+lunatic&source bl&ots 2xYWe1CdL3&sig f2e3hagoi2As2IDmXvB2tIWqVHw&hl en&ei g-L6StmxI5uZjAfZurCxBA&sa X&oi book_result&ct result&resnum 1&ved 0CAsQ6AEwAA#v onepage&q %22george%20montgomery%22%20lunatic&f false George Montgomery died in 1841 and his estate went to his Enery cousins of Bawnboy. In 1856 they sold

It was part of the narrow gauge (Narrow gauge railway) Cavan and Leitrim Railway. Bus transport Leydons Coaches operate route '''930''' linking Ballyconnell to Belturbet, Cavan, Bawnboy, Swanlinbar and Enniskillen. http: www.leydonscoaches.com timetable.html LakesCity route '''950''' provides a once a day commuter link to Dublin, Mondays to Fridays inclusive. http: lakescity.ie Bus Éireann local route '''465

, Bansha, Banteer, Bantry, Barefield, Barleycove, Barna (Bearna) (Barna), Barnane, Barrowhouse (Barrowhouse village), Batterstown, Bawnboy, Bayside (Bayside, Dublin), Bealadangan (Béal a' Daingin) (Bealadangan), Bective (Bective, County Meath), Bekan, Belcarra (Belcarra, County Mayo), Belderrig (Béal Deirg) (Belderrig), Belfield (Belfield, Dublin), Bellanagare, Bellanamullia, Bellavary, Bellewstown, Belmullet Belmullet (Béal

Ballyconnell

right thumb Ballyconnell (File:Ballyconnell bridge.jpg) '''Ballyconnell''' ( ) is a town in County Cavan, Ireland (Republic of Ireland). It is situated on the N87 (N87 road (Ireland)) national secondary road at the junction of four townlands Annagh (Annagh, County Cavan), Cullyleenan, Doon (Doon, County Cavan) and Derryginny in the parish of Tomregan, Barony (Barony (Ireland)) of Tullyhaw. The town has an altitude of 55 metres above sea level. The mean daily January temperature is 4.5 degrees Celsius and the mean daily July temperature is 15 degrees Celsius. The average annual rainfall is 1,000 mm. The average annual hours of sunshine are 1,250. Ballyconnell won the Irish Tidy Towns Competition in 1971 and was also winner in 1975. The Tidy Towns of Ireland "Celebrating 50 years"

It lies astride the Shannon–Erne Waterway which was opened in 1993, formerly known as the Woodford Canal which was finally completed in 1860. Prior to being canalised it was known as the River Grainne. The town sits at the foot of Slieve Rushen mountain and is a mile from the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The population of Ballyconnell according to the most recent census undertaken in 2006 was 747 persons, an increase of 31% on the previous 2002 census.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017