Alqosh

What is Alqosh known for?


year education

topics in Arabic till the fourth grade and it gradually improved to offer six-year education. The Alqushean graduates of the elementary school were forced to pursue their education for the intermediate and secondary school in Baghdad, Mosul, Dehuk, and even Telkeppeh. After the national revolution of 1958, the first intermediate school in Alqush was established. Currently, Alqush houses the following schools: * Alqush Official Kindergarten * Alqush First Elementary School for Boys * Alqush


temple+carrying

'' Neighborhood means the Moon Neighborhood and ''Bee Sinnat'' is a plain area south of Alqosh. Within approximately 2 miles (3 km), to the west of Alqosh, lies the well known ruin of Shayro Meliktha which is marked in the Iraqi ruins Map as a temple carrying a carving of Sennacherib aiming an arrow from his bow (bow (weapon)). Sites in Alqosh thumb 250px Rabban Hermizd monastery (File:Rabban Hurmizd.jpg) Alqosh's stone dwellings are spread along its mountainous slopes


power quot

of Power". Alqush has adorned the Bayhidhra mountains for more than twenty five centuries. The town glowingly reigns over Nineveh's northern plateau known for its fertile soil and extends southward across the other Assyrian towns, such as, Telassqopa (Tel Skuf), Baqofah, Sharafiya, Batnaya, and Tel Keppe. Alqush traces its history back into the ancient Assyrian empire and perhaps even further. The earliest mentioning of Alqosh appears in Sennacherib's era 750


known for

of Power". Alqush has adorned the Bayhidhra mountains for more than twenty five centuries. The town glowingly reigns over Nineveh's northern plateau known for its fertile soil and extends southward across the other Assyrian towns, such as, Telassqopa (Tel Skuf), Baqofah, Sharafiya, Batnaya, and Tel Keppe. Alqush traces its history back into the ancient Assyrian empire and perhaps even further. The earliest mentioning of Alqosh appears in Sennacherib's era 750

;Eil Qushti," which means "The God of the Bow." Here, an association could be drawn in conjunction with the winged disk symbol of God Ashur holding a bow. Meanwhile, in Aramaic language, rainbow is referred to as "Qeshta d' Maran," therefore, the meaning of the "Bow of Our Lord", is possible as well. Alqosh is known also as Yimma d' Mathwatha (Mother of all Villages). A number of sites within Alqosh still carry ancient Assyrian names, for example, ''Sainna

'' Neighborhood means the Moon Neighborhood and ''Bee Sinnat'' is a plain area south of Alqosh. Within approximately 2 miles (3 km), to the west of Alqosh, lies the well known ruin of Shayro Meliktha which is marked in the Iraqi ruins Map as a temple carrying a carving of Sennacherib aiming an arrow from his bow (bow (weapon)). Sites in Alqosh thumb 250px Rabban Hermizd monastery (File:Rabban Hurmizd.jpg) Alqosh's stone dwellings are spread along its mountainous slopes


literary

and literary figure in Aramaic during the eighteenth century. * Qasha Israel, son of Reverend Shemaa’on son of Reverend Israel, known as the Israel junior, writer and poet, lived in the eighteenth century. A number of Alqushean men have their names planted in the conscious of the people of Alqush among them are: * Yosip Rayes (Kozlah) * Toma Tomas, a freedom fighter After World War I and after establishing the kingdom rule in Iraq, the first elementary school was founded. The school taught

of Western Asia and Egypt. Richard, 2003, p. 69. From the late 7th century CE onwards, Aramaic was gradually replaced as the lingua franca of the Middle East by Arabic (Arabic language). However, Aramaic remains a spoken, literary and liturgical language among indigenous Assyrian (Assyrian people) Christians, Jews, Mandaeans (Mandaeism) and some Syriac Aramean Christians, and is still spoken by small isolated communities throughout its

original area of influence, predominantly in northwest Iraq, northeast Syria, southeast Turkey and northern Iran, with diaspora communities in Armenia, Georgia (Georgia (country)), Azerbaijan and southern Russia. The turbulence of the last two centuries (particularly the Assyrian Genocide) has seen speakers of first-language and literary Aramaic dispersed throughout the world. However, there are a number of sizeable Assyrian towns in northern Iraq such as Alqosh, Bakhdida


writings

in the 1950s which grew as an opposition to the Ba'ath Party. Alqush, like so many other Iraqi cities which depended on its own economy and resources, had a high percentage of illiteracy, but that does not prevent having a long standing educational movement represented by Mar Mikha Al Nuhedri School at the beginning of the fifth century. The efforts of priests and deacons who stressed teaching the Aramaic language and its literature and many of them left their writings. Some

index.html ''The Catholic Encyclopedia'' He was a very nationalistic Hebrew, and lived amongst the Elkoshites in peace. One account suggests that his writings are a prophecy written in about 615 BC, just before the downfall of Assyria, while another account suggests that he wrote this passage as liturgy just after its downfall in 612 BC. Heaton, E. W., ''A Short Introduction To The Old Testament Prophets'', p. 35, Oneworld Publications, P.O. Box 830, 21 Broadway

Capharnaum of northern Galilee. Nahum at ''The Catholic Encyclopedia'' He was a very nationalistic Hebrew however and lived amongst the Elkoshites in peace. His writings could be taken as prophecy or as history. One account suggests that his writings are a prophecy written in about 615 BC, just before the downfall of Assyria, while another account suggests that he wrote this passage


small high

orchards and farms. * Towards the plain side opposite to this site, is Virgin Mary's Monastery (Guardian of the Plants), which was built in 1856 AD. It is a huge monastery where the friar life still exists. * Galeeya Dnerba D’Deyoeh (erroneously pronounced as Neer D’Dayoeh), the Devil Valley, located to the east of Rabban Hermizd Monastery. * Gu’ppetha D’Hllwi (D’Hllabi), a place for milking sheep. * Gu’ppetha D’Rrabi Rabba, the small High Priest (Teacher) Cave. Prophet Nahum and Alqosh


making+agricultural

* Carpentry – making agricultural tools such as sickles * Smithery * Making packsaddle for mules and donkeys * Knitting – needle work * Dying – dying local yarns * Tailoring – tailoring the clothes of the region using local or imported fabric * Tinsmithery – whitening kitchen utensils that were made of tin in the past * Jewelry making silver and golden ornaments * Sesame mills to produce Tahiniyi (Metthanat Bet Yaldkou, Metthanat Bet Khoubear, Metthanat Bet Bejee) * Prepare annual ration from wheat such as Bulgur (crushed wheat), Granule, and Grits. The important tools used for this purpose are Denng, granulating machine, and Reshda making machine. thumb 250px (Image:Iraqvillagealqosh15.JPG) In addition to that, the residents of Alqush raised cattle, sheep, and bees. It is important to note that Alqush has no river, it once relied on spring and well water, but It also has ravines with water from the mountains. Some of these water wells and water fountains are: * Aaynna Mehalat or quarter Sainna – the old fountainhead (Aaynna Aateqtta) * Keshffah – it was in Mehalat or quarter Sainna previously * Aaynna Mehalat or quarter Qasha * Aaynna Albaladiya – used to be in Hamietha area * Aaynna Al Zeqayee – a very old fountainhead that used to be in Mehalat or quarter Qasha on Aaynna Zeqyaa valley. It was filled up with earth more than two centuries ago after an Alqushean girl from Shekwana family was killed there by the Persians. Following are some of the wells: * In Mehalat or quarter Qasha: Shushani, Kakka, Ballo, Ramo, Khubeir, Shekwana, Berno, Rayyes * In Mehalat or quarter Khteytha: Khabeen, Ghazala, Khesrou, Cholagh, Jaji, Kherou, Shahara, Khoushou, Shmoona, Semaa’n, Sheaa’ya Babee, Ballo, Goula, Matti, Naim, Chenou. * In Mehalat or quarter Sena: Odisho, Zora, Kchoucha, Toma, Qenaya, Kina, Yeldkoo, Sipo, Goharah. Many influential and wealthy families in Alqosh are the Raies, Koja, Boudagh, Shikwana, Shahara, Zoree, Tomas, Aboona, Shushani, Kakka, Khubeir, and Tomika. Some remnants of these families remain in Alqosh, but many have established themselves elsewhere. Modern Services In 2009, the Assyrian Democratic Movement installed a new sewage system for the town. In late 2011 CSAPC supported an Electricity tower for the town, which is now fully installed for the people. In 2012 September the KRG carried out large scale projects in the town worth 12.5 Billion Dinars. The length of the Hungarian-stretch of the mountainside go far north of Alqosh all the way to the south, into the street leading to the industrial district leading to 1500 meters of the stretch. The basic purpose of the projects is to maintain Alqosh of environmental pollution, which will collect water cleaning, washing, and rain in the winter in one channel to serve the latter outside Alqosh away from the population in addition to getting rid of the negative effects of heavy rains in the winter, which before washed away soil and rocks into the streets of Alqosh. See also ''. He was born on August 8, 1852 in Alqosh, studied in the Ghazir Seminary in Beirut and was ordained priest on July 10, 1879. On July 24, 1892 he was ordained Bishop of Seert, now in Turkey, by patriarch Eliya Abulyonan Eliya XIV XIII Abulyonan . He was appointed Patriarch of the Chaldean Church on the July 9, 1900 and confirmed by the Holy See on December 17 of the same year. He served as patriarch till his death on July 21, 1947. He replaced Patriarch Audishu V Khayyath † and was followed by Yousef VII Ghanima †. Summary An Alqoshnaya farmer in the Iraqi town of Alqosh, in the Ninewa region. Tel Isqof was subject to many attacks by the Mongol barbarians, the worst among them was the massacre of 1436 when they attacked her, killing thousands of its inhabitants and burning its crops and churches forcing the rest of the inhabitants to flee to the mountains. In 1508 Tel Isqof was attacked again by the Mongols, just as they attacked Tel Keppe, Alqosh and the Monastery of Rabban Hormizd (Rabban Hormizd Monastery). Tel Isqof was also attacked by the army of Nader Shah in 1743 during his march on Mosul. The main language spoken is the Nineveh Plains variant of Syriac, Which is almost identical to that spoken in other major Assyrian towns in the region, Like Alqosh and Tel Kepe. Arabic is also used as a second language. English (English language) is widely understood by younger generations. thumb 250ppx A family picnic in Dashqotan (Image:Iraqvillagedashqotan3.JPG) '''Dashqotan''' (Syriac (Syriac language): '''ܕܫܩܘܬܢ''') is a small Assyrian village located in northern Iraq, about 40 kilometers north of Mosul and 15 kilometers east of Alqosh. Dashqotan is bordered by four Assyrian villages: Aenbaqre, Karanjok, Perozawa and Germawe. - !Alqosh !! 504 !! Karamlesh !! 132 - The Assyrians relate that, in the 1830s, the governor of Rawandiz, nicknamed "Merkor", was known for his hatred of the Christian Assyrians. In 1833, he attacked the unarmed Assyrian towns of Tel Keppe and Elqosh (Alqosh) and killed thousands of their inhabitants, kidnapping the women and children, and setting fire to the towns. This "Merkor" is almost certainly Mir Muhammad, then ruler of the Soran Emirate


scale projects

, Boudagh, Shikwana, Shahara, Zoree, Tomas, Aboona, Shushani, Kakka, Khubeir, and Tomika. Some remnants of these families remain in Alqosh, but many have established themselves elsewhere. Modern Services In 2009, the Assyrian Democratic Movement installed a new sewage system for the town. In late 2011 CSAPC supported an Electricity tower for the town, which is now fully installed for the people. In 2012 September the KRG carried out large scale projects in the town worth 12.5 Billion Dinars. The length of the Hungarian-stretch of the mountainside go far north of Alqosh all the way to the south, into the street leading to the industrial district leading to 1500 meters of the stretch. The basic purpose of the projects is to maintain Alqosh of environmental pollution, which will collect water cleaning, washing, and rain in the winter in one channel to serve the latter outside Alqosh away from the population in addition to getting rid of the negative effects of heavy rains in the winter, which before washed away soil and rocks into the streets of Alqosh. See also ''. He was born on August 8, 1852 in Alqosh, studied in the Ghazir Seminary in Beirut and was ordained priest on July 10, 1879. On July 24, 1892 he was ordained Bishop of Seert, now in Turkey, by patriarch Eliya Abulyonan Eliya XIV XIII Abulyonan . He was appointed Patriarch of the Chaldean Church on the July 9, 1900 and confirmed by the Holy See on December 17 of the same year. He served as patriarch till his death on July 21, 1947. He replaced Patriarch Audishu V Khayyath † and was followed by Yousef VII Ghanima †. Summary An Alqoshnaya farmer in the Iraqi town of Alqosh, in the Ninewa region. Tel Isqof was subject to many attacks by the Mongol barbarians, the worst among them was the massacre of 1436 when they attacked her, killing thousands of its inhabitants and burning its crops and churches forcing the rest of the inhabitants to flee to the mountains. In 1508 Tel Isqof was attacked again by the Mongols, just as they attacked Tel Keppe, Alqosh and the Monastery of Rabban Hormizd (Rabban Hormizd Monastery). Tel Isqof was also attacked by the army of Nader Shah in 1743 during his march on Mosul. The main language spoken is the Nineveh Plains variant of Syriac, Which is almost identical to that spoken in other major Assyrian towns in the region, Like Alqosh and Tel Kepe. Arabic is also used as a second language. English (English language) is widely understood by younger generations. thumb 250ppx A family picnic in Dashqotan (Image:Iraqvillagedashqotan3.JPG) '''Dashqotan''' (Syriac (Syriac language): '''ܕܫܩܘܬܢ''') is a small Assyrian village located in northern Iraq, about 40 kilometers north of Mosul and 15 kilometers east of Alqosh. Dashqotan is bordered by four Assyrian villages: Aenbaqre, Karanjok, Perozawa and Germawe. - !Alqosh !! 504 !! Karamlesh !! 132 - The Assyrians relate that, in the 1830s, the governor of Rawandiz, nicknamed "Merkor", was known for his hatred of the Christian Assyrians. In 1833, he attacked the unarmed Assyrian towns of Tel Keppe and Elqosh (Alqosh) and killed thousands of their inhabitants, kidnapping the women and children, and setting fire to the towns. This "Merkor" is almost certainly Mir Muhammad, then ruler of the Soran Emirate


known

of Power". Alqush has adorned the Bayhidhra mountains for more than twenty five centuries. The town glowingly reigns over Nineveh's northern plateau known for its fertile soil and extends southward across the other Assyrian towns, such as, Telassqopa (Tel Skuf), Baqofah, Sharafiya, Batnaya, and Tel Keppe. Alqush traces its history back into the ancient Assyrian empire and perhaps even further. The earliest mentioning of Alqosh appears in Sennacherib's era 750

;Eil Qushti," which means "The God of the Bow." Here, an association could be drawn in conjunction with the winged disk symbol of God Ashur holding a bow. Meanwhile, in Aramaic language, rainbow is referred to as "Qeshta d' Maran," therefore, the meaning of the "Bow of Our Lord", is possible as well. Alqosh is known also as Yimma d' Mathwatha (Mother of all Villages). A number of sites within Alqosh still carry ancient Assyrian names, for example, ''Sainna

'' Neighborhood means the Moon Neighborhood and ''Bee Sinnat'' is a plain area south of Alqosh. Within approximately 2 miles (3 km), to the west of Alqosh, lies the well known ruin of Shayro Meliktha which is marked in the Iraqi ruins Map as a temple carrying a carving of Sennacherib aiming an arrow from his bow (bow (weapon)). Sites in Alqosh thumb 250px Rabban Hermizd monastery (File:Rabban Hurmizd.jpg) Alqosh's stone dwellings are spread along its mountainous slopes

Alqosh

'''Alqōsh''' , ) is an Assyrian (Assyrian people) town in northern Iraq. It is located (50 km) north of Mosul. The name Alqosh (or Elqosh) is derived from an Akkadian (Akkadian language) name Eil-Kushtu, where "Eil" means God and "Kushtu" means righteousness or power. Therefore, Elqosh, or as casually pronounced Alqosh, means "The God of Righteousness" or "The God of Power".

Alqush has adorned the Bayhidhra mountains for more than twenty five centuries. The town glowingly reigns over Nineveh's northern plateau known for its fertile soil and extends southward across the other Assyrian towns, such as, Telassqopa (Tel Skuf), Baqofah, Sharafiya, Batnaya, and Tel Keppe.

Alqush traces its history back into the ancient Assyrian empire and perhaps even further. The earliest mentioning of Alqosh appears in Sennacherib's era 750 BC as evidenced by the mural inside Sennacherib's palace that was discovered in Tel Kuyunjik Qüyüjik (Sheep Hill in Turkoman) in Mosul. Behind this mural, the phrase "This rock was brought from Alqosh’s Mountain" is carved.

Alqosh is divided into four quarters: Sainna quarter to the west, Qasha quarter to the east, O’do quarter to the north, and Khatetha quarter to the south.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017