Al-Bassa

What is Al-Bassa known for?


706'

pages 685–706 Meanwhile, a joint British-French boundary commission was working to determine a precise border, making many adjustments in the process. By February 1922 it had determined a border that confirmed al-Bassa as being in Palestine. This became official in 1923. The citizenship of the residents was changed to Palestinian in 1926. In 1922, the people of al-Bassa founded a local council which


book

, and a public elementary school for girls. Hassoun, 2003, p. 26. British Mandate era The Franco-British boundary agreement (Paulet–Newcombe Agreement) of 1920 described an imprecisely defined boundary between Lebanon and Palestine. It appeared to pass close to the north of al-Bassa, leaving the village on the Palestinian side but cut off from much of its lands.

(p.

PA333 333 ) *Cohen, A. (1973), ''Palestine in the Eighteenth Century: Patters of Government and Administration.'' Hebrew University, Jerusalem. Cited in Khalidi, (1992) *


emphasis

a permit to travel during that period was Israel's Independence Day (Yom Ha'atzmaut). On this day, which Palestinians call Nakba Day, internally displaced Palestinians would visit their former villages. Wakim Wakim, an attorney from Al-Bassa and a leading member of the Association for the Defense of the Rights of the Internally Displaced explains: "''The day when Israel celebrates is the day we mourn''" (emphasis


agricultural development

, installed a system of running water, and oversaw the convening of a wholesale produce market there every Sunday. An agricultural cooperative in the village counted over 150 members that promoted agricultural development, while also providing loans to local farmers. The population of about 4,000 was divided almost evenly between Muslims and Christians. Among the village institutions were a government run elementary school, a "National High School", a Greek Orthodox church, a Catholic


978

(p.

gazetteer first1 Salomon E. last1 Grootkerk edition Illustrated publisher BRILL year 2000 isbn 978-90-04-11535-4 * *

Illustrated publisher MSU Press year 2003 isbn 978-0-87013-667-2 postscript . * *


156

, and Archaeology location London publisher Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund (Palestine Exploration Fund) volume 1 (156 mode 1up p.156 ) * *


978'

(p.

gazetteer first1 Salomon E. last1 Grootkerk edition Illustrated publisher BRILL year 2000 isbn 978-90-04-11535-4 * *

Illustrated publisher MSU Press year 2003 isbn 978-0-87013-667-2 postscript . * *


706

pages 685–706 Meanwhile, a joint British-French boundary commission was working to determine a precise border, making many adjustments in the process. By February 1922 it had determined a border that confirmed al-Bassa as being in Palestine. This became official in 1923. The citizenship of the residents was changed to Palestinian in 1926. In 1922, the people of al-Bassa founded a local council which


national high

, installed a system of running water, and oversaw the convening of a wholesale produce market there every Sunday. An agricultural cooperative in the village counted over 150 members that promoted agricultural development, while also providing loans to local farmers. The population of about 4,000 was divided almost evenly between Muslims and Christians. Among the village institutions were a government run elementary school, a "National High School", a Greek Orthodox church, a Catholic


simple

into its one room. A pillar and two arches run across it, and support the flat roof. The door opens into the stable portion where horses and camels are standing before the manger of dries mud. Stepping up from this, the visitor finds himself at once in the simple dwelling-room of the family. A large matting of flattened rush generally covers one half, and a few cushions are spread in the corner, near the unglazed window. At the further end there are mud stairs leading up to the roof, the summer

200px right thumb The maqam in 2008 (Image:Bassa sheikh tomb.jpg) The maqam is located about 20 meters east of the mosque. It consists of two parts: a walled courtyard, and a domed prayer room. In the courtyard there is a mihrab in the south wall, and a doorway in the east wall leads into the main prayer room. Pendentives springing from four thick piers support wide arches and the dome. In the middle of the south wall there is a mihrab, next to a simple minbar, made of four stone steps

Al-Bassa

'''al-Bassa'''' ( above sea level.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017