www.goderich.ca '''Goderich''' (pronounced either God-rich or God-er-ich) is a town in the Canadian province of Ontario and is the county seat of Huron County (Huron County, Ontario). The town was founded by William "Tiger" Dunlop in 1827. ref>
; First laid out in 1828, the town is named after Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich, who was British (United Kingdom) prime minister at the time. The town was officially incorporated in 1850. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the population is 7,521. The area of the town is 7.91 square
on Nav Canada site publisher Nav Canada It is located directly north of the town, and is accessible via the Bluewater Highway (Highway 21 (Ontario)) north of the community. During WWII, The airport was the site of an Elementary Flying Training School (Central Flying School) as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.
of Hikurangi look down at the blue cod (Parapercis colias) soup, indeed white as the hair of my head). Singing the praises of home — the white layer of fat on top of the soup showed its high caloric value. 19th-century gold prospecting NB: This section is based on text from
an object of ridicule, and, afterwards, was known as “Tommy Poorfellow.”
Plaques_GHI Plaque_Huron13.html accessdate 2008-05-05 title historic plaque publisher ontarioplaques.com First laid out in 1828, the town is named after Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich, who was British (United Kingdom) prime minister at the time. The town was officially
A-28 * Marilyn Horne, soprano, lived at 1565 Altivo Way * John Huston, film director * Paul Landacre, artist, lived at 2006 El Moran Street * Shia LaBeouf, actor
Society News date Summer 2005 accessdate August 29, 2011 . * Steve McQueen, actor, lived on Vestal Street in 1955 * Carey McWilliams (Carey McWilliams (journalist)) author, editor and lawyer
is an illustrated man, in many ways newspaper USA Today url http: www.usatoday.com life movies news 2010-09-03-trejo03_st_N.htm accessdate November 4, 2011 * Frank Zappa, musician and songwriter Miles, 2004, ''Frank Zappa'', pp. 8–9. Full reference in Zappa Wikipedia page. * Jake Zeitlin opened an antique book shop at 1623 Landa Street
Diego downtown ) in the 1870s. Ballast Point got its name from the practice of ships discarding their ballast (sailing ballast) there on arriving in San Diego Bay and taking on ballast as they left for the open ocean. Fort Guijarros was constructed at Ballast Point in 1797.
batteries and named the area Fort Rosecrans (Naval Base Point Loma#History). Significant U.S. Navy presence in San Diego began in 1901 with the establishment of the Navy Coaling Station in Point Loma. University of San Diego
was designated a historic railway station in 1992. Hengen was born in Broadview (Broadview, Saskatchewan), Saskatchewan and raised in Regina (Regina, Saskatchewan) and Humboldt (Humboldt, Saskatchewan). He holds a Master of Arts (Master of Arts (postgraduate)) degree in school psychology from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, and a PhD in education from the University of Regina. Murray Mandryk, "Liberal race revolves round Hengen", ''Saskatoon Star-Phoenix'', 25 October 1996, A4. Raised in a Liberal family, he purchased his first membership in the party in 1957. Murray Mandryk and Russ Wyatt, "Out of the wilderness", ''Saskatoon Star-Phoenix'', 2 November 1996, B2.
The City Project title Historic - Cultural Monuments (HCM) Listing url http: www.cityprojectca.org ourwork documents HCMDatabase090707.pdf accessdate 9 September 2012 * Self-Help Graphics and Art, the first community-based organization in the country to create a free public celebration of Day of the Dead. * Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center Keck School of Medicine of USC * Los Angeles County Department of Coroner * Estrada Courts Estrada Courts Murals
web title Historic Map and Chart Project url http: historicalcharts.noaa.gov tiled_jpgs_done zoomifyURLDrivenWebPage.htm?zoomifyImagePath 312-3-1904 accessdate 2008-05-03 and proceeded about 1.5 km south to Slater's Dock (also known as Chippawa Landing), where it connected with steamboats from Buffalo. The railway carried passengers to Queenston, where connections were made with steamboats to Toronto, Ontario and other points on Lake Ontario. Moreover, it carried tourists to the falls and connected with the Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto Railway, which provided interurban service to St. Catharines, Ontario. farm on the creek. During the war, he joined the Second Lincoln Militia, stationed at Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario). He was a captain and leader of the volunteer dragoons throughout the war. During constant patrols along the Niagara River, an idea came to him for a canal to by-pass the Niagara Falls. He was captured during Battle of Lundy's Lane and held prisoner of war in Massachusetts until March 1815. He was born in Farmington, Connecticut in 1775. In 1787, after his father's murder in New York state, he came to live with his uncle, Samuel Street, in Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario). He worked with his uncle and later entered business on his own, forming a partnership with Thomas Clark (Thomas Clark (Upper Canada)) around 1798. He established a number of sawmills and gristmills in the Niagara (Niagara Peninsula) region, mainly in partnership with Clark. The gristmills processed wheat produced on farms in the region; these mills, by virtue of their location, were the major source of flour production in Upper Canada. Several of their mills were burned by the American (United States)s during the War of 1812 but they were eventually compensated for these losses. Street also profited as a major money lender. He became a major share-holder in the Bank of Upper Canada and the Gore Bank; he also held shares in the Bank of Montreal and the Commercial Bank of the Midland District. With William Hamilton Merritt, he acquired shares in the Welland Canal Company. He also had extensive land holdings, some acquired via foreclosures on loans and via sales of land to recover unpaid taxes. When Clark died in 1837, Street became sole owner of the mills and also expanded into textile mills. He was born at Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario) in 1814, the son of Samuel Street, Jr.. He studied law with Christopher Hagerman (Christopher Alexander Hagerman) and William Henry Draper and was called to the bar in 1838. When his father died in 1844, Street took over his business interests. In 1851, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada representing Welland; he was defeated in 1854 and 1857, then reelected in 1861 and 1863. He served as a lieutenant-colonel in the local militia. DATE OF BIRTH 1814 PLACE OF BIRTH Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario), Canada DATE OF DEATH September 6, 1872 He was born in Abergavenny, Wales in 1775 and came to Upper Canada in 1802 to deal with (Debt collection) delinquent accounts on behalf of a group of London merchants. Having seized (Repossession) the Bridgewater Works at Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario), Durand purchased the operation from his employers. He also established a trading depot near Long Point. In 1810, he sold the operation at Chippawa due to a downturn (Recession) in the produce market. He served in the ''Lincoln militia'' during the War of 1812. In 1815, he became the representative for West York (York County, Ontario) in the 6th Parliament of Upper Canada in a by-election after Abraham Markle joined the Americans (United States). Durand criticized the introduction of martial law during the war. With John Willson, he drafted the ''Common Schools Act of 1816'', which introduced public support of elementary schools. He also helped establish the Gore District (Gore District, Upper Canada) with Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) as the district town. In 1817, he was elected in the riding (Riding (division)) of Wentworth (Wentworth County, Ontario) and served until 1820. He was a partner in the Desjardins Canal Company, expanded his land holdings and built sawmills to process his timber holdings. The Niagara Falls stood as a mighty barrier. To bypass it, a portage road (portage) between Queenston, Ontario and Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario) was used, but the solution was far from optimal. The cargo had to be unloaded, carried 18 km up the Niagara Escarpment, then loaded onto different ships to continue on its way. He was born in Scotland and came to Upper Canada in 1791 to seek employment with his cousin, Robert Hamilton (Robert Hamilton (judge)). In 1796, he opened a store in Queenston (Queenston, Ontario). He then formed a partnership with Samuel Street (Samuel Street, Jr.) to transport goods around Niagara Falls. He owned docks and storage facilities at Queenston, Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario) and Fort Erie (Fort Erie, Ontario). In 1800, when Street left the partnership, he formed a new partnership with Robert Nichol (Robert Nichol (Canadian politician)) transporting and trading in goods which lasted until 1803. In the same year, he was appointed justice of the peace. Around 1808, he set up several large flour mill (gristmill)ing complexes with Samuel Street. Besides his partnership with Street, Clark also had an agreement with John Jacob Astor and others for the shipping and sale of flour.
of Ocoee on October 5, 1883. In 1886, Captain Sims, along with a group of original settlers, led an effort to have the town platted