Places Known For

stone buildings


Izhevsk

of two ''izbas'', joined together with an inner porch. Houses of the poor consisted of one ''izba''. Armorers and officials erected two-storied and five-wall log houses. There were 15 streets in Izh by the 1820s. In 1812, Izhevsky Zavod was divided into three administrative parts because of growth in population and territory. In 1816, there were 1,710 houses, 8 factory stone buildings, a prison, a cemetery, a stone church and a school in the settlement. The population was 8,324

. In the 1820s, 1830s, and 1840s, a number of large stone building was erected. St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (Izhevsk)) was built between 1818 and 1823, and visited by Tsar Alexander (Alexander I of Russia) (who considered Alexander Nevsky his patron saint) shortly after its completion. Other noteworthy large stone buildings which still remain from that era include the Arsenal (1823–25), Public Offices (1843–45) and house of contractor Egor Novikov. All improved Izhevsk's

out of Nagornaya Part and settled in boggy Zareka. At that time, Koltoma, another working-class locality, grew. In the early 1870s, there were about twenty private stone buildings in Izhevsky Zavod. In Zarechnaya Part all houses were made of wood. Civic life depended on government contractual works. In the years of war or army re-equipment, the quantity of orders grew. There was an increase in the workforce size and people's earnings. After the order was filled and wages were cut, most


Jauja

"jaujamiperu" An archaeological museum is located in the town, which has exhibits of the ancient Huari (Huari culture) culture. The town also has a fossil museum, a collection by a local man. The hill that forms the backdrop for the town has a fine row of Inca Stores and large number of circular buildings representing the Xauxa culture. Laguna de Paca lake also has number of such stone buildings in ruins. ref name


Tozeur

person. The 4x4's hold 6+ people, so if you have a group of four or more, simply hire the whole 4x4 for yourself - about 120-150 dinar. The allure of these three villages is that they were abandoned during floods in 1969, and offer a window to what life was like in oasis villages back then. In reality, the mud and stone buildings are unoccupied and falling down, tourists swarm the sites in hordes, and local children will offer to sell you crystals throughout your journey. The sites are still


Chabahar

mouth of Chabahar Gulf. Moghadassi , the historian of the fourth century of Hijra (Islamic Calendar) has written that Tis or Tiz is a small port, but very habitable and highly flourishing. This village is located in the direction of south shores of Iran. Tis used to be considered as the commercial center for sugar and wheat of both Makran and Sistan province in those days. '''Old Telegraph Building''' ( Telegraphic Office ): This building is one of the oldest available stone buildings


Fergus, Ontario

such as the Elora Gorge and Conservation Area, and Belwood Lake. Fergus is a quiet, mostly residential community filled with streets lined with trees, many stone buildings, modern schools, and attractive parklands. It is laid out on a rectangular grid, with the Grand River flowing through the downtown heritage centre, it's limestone riverbanks surrounding it. Climate Fergus has a humid continental climate (''Dfb'') under the Köppen climate classification with cold winters


Cheboksary

manufactures. Cheboksary also was noted for its twenty-five churches and four monasteries, and Cheboksary bells were known in London and Paris . In the 16th and the first half of the 17th century the Vvedensky cathedral, four monasteries and eighth churches had been built, in the 18th century the stone buildings of treasury and archive, magistracy, court, and ten churches. In 1880, here were counted 783 houses (33 of them from stone), 91 stores, 3 schools, 2


Ystad

preserved buildings in Sweden, from the 11th century, are made of stone. The earliest brick buildings where erected in the late 13th century. The most important building material, from early prehistoric times and well in to the 20th century, where wood. The early Swedish stone buildings are Romanesque (Romanesque architecture) churches on the countryside. Many of them were built in Scania, and are thus stylistically like Danish churches. This includes the magnificent Lund Cathedral from


Uglich

of Tver. Grand Duke Ivan III (Ivan III of Russia) of Moscow gave the town to his younger brother Andrey Bolshoy in 1462. During Andrey's reign, the town was expanded and first stone buildings were constructed. Particularly notable were the cathedral (rebuilt in 1713), the Intercession Monastery (destroyed by the Bolsheviks) and the red-brick palace of the prince (completed in 1481 and still standing). Reign of Ivan the Terrible During the reign of Ivan


West Somerset

Williton Rural District - alt Reddish stone buildings. The church in the foreground has a square tower. 100px (File:NETTLECOMBE, Somerset - geograph.org.uk - 66189.jpg) Nettlecombe (Nettlecombe, Somerset) Civil parish style "text-align:center;" 174 Williton Rural District


Pushkin, Saint Petersburg

with a vast open place in the center. A wooden church of Saints Constantine and Helen and then the stone Sophia Cathedral (1788) were raised in the town center. According to Johann Gottlieb Georgi, in 1794, Sofia was mostly populated by the palace workers and peasants. It had a number of stone buildings, a church resembling Hagia Sophia of Constantinople, and a factory in the suburbs producing paper for state bank notes. The town prospered


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017