" Greater Accra » Tema Metropolitan. GhanaDistricts.com. Retrieved 9 March 2013. Tema is locally nicknamed the "Harbour Town" because of its status as Ghana's largest seaport. Tema is a city constructed on the site of a small fishing village, Tema was commissioned by Ghana's first president (President of Ghana), Kwame Nkrumah, and grew rapidly after the construction of a large harbour in 1961
. It is now a major trading center, home to an oil refinery and numerous factories, and is linked to Accra by a highway and railway. Tema is one of Ghana's two deep seaports, the other being Sekondi-Takoradi. History The history of Tema itself. Before independence, the government identified a small fishing village called Torman as the site for an ultra modern seaport for the new Ghana. Torman residents also grew the calabash plant (gourd) known as Tor
departure points on the Marine Silk Road. The population spiked during the Tang (618–907) and Song (960–1279) dynasties. French colonial period The region was still a small fishing port when it was occupied by the French (French colonial empire) in 1898. The next year, the French forced the Chinese to lease a small enclave of Zhanjiang to them for 99 years as the territory of Kouang-Tchéou-Wan. The French wanted to develop the port, which they called
Bridge '''Zhanjiang''' (湛江; ''Zhànjiāng'') is a city on the western coast of Guangdong Province in China. Understand Zhanjiang was a small fishing port when it was under French occupation in the early 20th century - named Fort Bayard - and some old colonial buildings still survive. Now it is a rapidly developing modern city. Many people in Zhanjiang speak Mandarin (普通话 Pǔtōnghuà) with a fairly strong accent, the native languages for most locals are Cantonese (广东话 Guǎngdōnghuà
Carmen representing the United States of America, Canada and Italy. Tourism thumb left Tourists entering Playa del Carmen's ferry terminal (Image:Terminal Maritima Playa del Carmen.JPG) thumb left Playa del Carmen central beach 2010 (Image:Playa del Carmen beach.JPG) Originally a small fishing town, tourism to Playa del Carmen began with the passenger ferry service to Cozumel, an island across the Cozumel Channel and a world famous scuba diving destination. Playa
to Mr. Ernesto Echeverria. Urban planning The Playa del Carmen local community and government have attempted to retain Playa del Carmen's reputation and charm as a small fishing village and artists' colony, without it becoming as large and metropolitan as Cancún. The city passed an ordinance limiting buildings to five stories. Playa del Carmen is currently expanding north beyond the Colosio section and on the other side of highway 307, the Ejido. thumbnail right View from the ferry dock (File:Playadelcarmenbeach.jpg) Playa del Carmen city planners have begun making the town more pedestrian friendly. A 4 km foot and bicycle path will run the length of the town along 10th Avenue in Centro, along with two additional foot and bicycle paths which will connect two commercial corridors near Centro Maya in south Playa del Carmen and Col. Las Americas where a state of the art municipal facility, city hall and theatre is being constructed alongside the largest master-planned urban development in Mexico. The city has also completed several urban spaces designed to provide a safe environment for families to enjoy outdoor activities, this includes two junior skate parks, an outdoor fitness gymnasium, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball court and children's play zone all of which are located underneath the federal highway, creating a covered space which is shaded throughout the day and lit at night. This space also provides shelter for pedestrians during inclement weather. Sports The city is home to Inter Playa del Carmen (Promotora Deportiva Inter Playa del Carmen AC), a football (association football) (soccer) club founded in 1999, which competes in the south group of the Segunda División Profesional, the third tier of Mexican football league system. The OHL Classic at Mayakoba is a PGA Tour golf tournament held at El Camaleón Golf Club since 2007. In popular culture The telenovela ''Peregrina (:es:Peregrina)'' takes place in Playa del Carmen. The Real Housewives of Vancouver featured Playa del Carmen in two episodes. The Amazing Race has shot on location in Playa del Carmen. The Celebrity Mole was set in the Playa del Carmen area. UK Reality Series Geordie Shore featured Playa del Carmen. Playa del Carmen is host to several major annual events the largest being BPM, a world famous electronic dance music festival which takes place in January each year. Notable residents Notable residents include: * WSOP winner Barry Shulman * artist David Guetta * Mexico hoteliers Carlos Couturier and Moises Micha * fashion designer Tory Burch See also * Riviera Maya Jazz Festival * Puerto Aventuras References Dmoz:Regional North America Mexico States Quintana Roo Localities Playa del Carmen Commons:Category:Playa del Carmen
Recreation on Rainy Lake Voyageurs National Park On Rainy Lake, Voyageurs National Park maintains an extensive network of over boat-in camping sites, hiking trails, and designated snowmobile trails for winter use. Fishing The lake is popular for sport and recreational fishing for species such as Walleye, Northern pike, Muskellunge, Crappie, Largemouth (Largemouth bass) and Smallmouth bass, which are all considered excellent freshwater sportfish. Rainy Lake is home to the annual Canadian Bass Championship, which has occurred every summer since 1996. The lake is dotted with many small islands on both the Canadian and American sides; they are the sites of numerous fishing cabins, small fishing resorts, and vacation homes. Fishing tourism is an important part
. Tourism The high season for tourism runs from December through February, as well as through Easter week. During high season, the population of the small fishing and artisan village of approximately 400 people, grows to approximately 25,000. Tourists rent homes and cabanas or stay in hostels and small hotels. Most of the hotels and hostels are open only during the high season; however, some like El Diablo Tranquilo are open year-round to accommodate the increasing number of backpackers visiting
linked the port with Kuwait prior to the 1991 Persian Gulf War (Gulf War). History Village to port of standard gauge. IRR has one international interchange, with Chemins de Fer Syriens (CFS) at Rabiya. The system runs from Rabiya southward through Mosul, Bayji, and Baghdad to Basra, with a branch line from Shouaiba Junction (near Basra) to the ports of Khor Az Zubair and Umm Qasr, westward from Baghdad through Ramadi and Haqlaniya to Al Qaim and Husayba, with a branch line from Al Qaim to Akashat, and east-west from Haqlaniya through Bayji to Kirkuk. The unit deployed in support of OIF I, assisted the local police and performed security operations in southern Iraq, mainly Um Qasar (Umm Qasr) and Basra, co-located with British units there.
in population numbers. From 1920 onwards, diamond mining was only conducted further south of town in places like Pomona (Pomona, Namibia) and Elizabeth Bay (Elizabeth Bay, Namibia). This development consequently led to the loss of Lüderitz' importance as trade place. Only small fishing enterprises, minimal dock activity, and a few carpet weavers remained. In an effort to remove colonial names from the maps of Namibia, the Namibian government in 2013 renamed
'', the modern Lovran. In the Middle Ages the current town's territory was divided between Veprinac (now a locality of Opatija, perhaps home to a small fishing port) and Kastav, where the fisherman village of Veprinac. The Benedictine Abbey of St. James was mentioned for the first time in 1453, and around it a small hamlet developed during the centuries. The town's modern history began in 1844, when Iginio Scarpa, a rich merchant from Rijeka, founded Villa Angiolina. In 1872 Railways came to Matulji and thus opened the path for the development of tourism in Opatija and Lovran. In 1882 Friedrich Julius Schüler, the Managing Director of Southern Railways started the construction of villas and hotels in Opatija and Lovran, and was responsible for the unique lungomare and parks (the Company engaged Carl Schubert, director of the Viennese Emperial-Royal Society for the construction of parks). In 1882, Cesar-royal Society of the Southern railway from Vienna, led by Julius Schuler, purchased the first land with Villa Angiolina in Opatija. There, in the park Angiolina today stands FJ Schüler's bust, the work of the sculptor Hans Rathausky. It became a fashionable destination for the Austrian imperial family and Austrian nobility and soon more luxury hotels and villas were built. The first luxury hotel – Hotel "Quarnero" (1884) (today "Grand Hotel Kvarner") was built to the plans by the Viennese architect Franz Wilhelm. The hotel Kronprinzessin Stephanie was opened in 1885, named after crown princess Stephanie, wife of Rudolf of Habsburg, and they both appeared at the opening. Architect Franz Wilhelm offered all luxury to the guests of the hotel, from the central heating to the pool, and, later, the cinema hall, which was connected to the central part of the hotel. In 1887 - Heinrich von Littrow established the "Union Yacht Club Quarnero" in Opatija (founded in June July 1886) - the first sailing club on the Adriatic. In 1889 The Austrian government officially declared Abbazia ( Opatija) as the first climatic seaside resort on the Adriatic. After the hotels, the building of villas started, for the needs of more demanding guests. The first villa was the "Amalia", in the immediate vicinity of the hotel "Quarnero" in 1890 as hotel's annex. Opatija's first guide was published in 1883 in Vienna with the title ''Abbazia, Idylle von der Adria''. The same year saw the publication of ''Abbazia und seine Umgebung'' by Noe Heinrich, who in 1884 published Tagebuch aus Abbazia (Diary from Opatija). Joseph Rable printed ''Curort und Seebad Abbazia'' (Spa and the bathing beach in Opatija), and Peter von Radics wrote a guidebook simply titled '' Abbazia''. Abbazia is best known nowadays as the venue for a chess tournament devoted to the King’s Gambit in 1912. The Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I (Franz Joseph I of Austria) used to spend several months here during the winter. Many of these late 19th-century luxury hotels and villas have survived to present times. In 1920 Opatija was assigned to Italy. Two years later, with the advent of Fascism (Italian Fascism), the Italian government started a program of forced italianization of the population, and most of the public positions were assigned to Italian-speaking citizens. The upper floor of Villa Amalia was built in 1930, and the building was renovated to become the summer residence of the House of Savoy. In 1947 Opatija was given to Yugoslavia; most of the Italian-speaking population, whose percentage had substantially increased in the past years, emigrated to Italy. In 1963 the Hotel Adriatic, by the architect Andrija Cicin-Sain and his team was completed. Hotel "Adriatic" was the first hotel built in Opatija after the Austro-Hungarian era. The rooms of hotel "Adriatic" have been described as novelties in the hospitality industry. The "Casino Rosalia" was opened in Opatija – the first casino in Eastern Europe. In 1981 the Hotel "Admiral" and marina (200 berths and 40 dry berths) were completed. After the breakup of Yugoslavia in 1991, the town became part of Croatia. In 2004, 160th anniversary of tourism in Opatija, the Exclusive hotels "Wisteria" (ex "Continental"), "Melia" (ex "Soča"), "Camelia" (ex "Brijuni") and "Magnolia" (ex "Miran") were open under the name of the Grand Hotel 4 Opatijan flowers as well as Hotels "Miramar" and "Savoy" (ex "Dubrovnik"). In 2010 The town of Bad Ischl, near Salzburg, became the first Austrian partner city of Opatija. The charter was signed on 30 October by mayors Hannes Heide and Ivo Dujmić. Landmarks The old 14th-century Benedictine abbey, ''Opatija Sv. Jakova'' ("Abbey of Saint James"), from which the town derives its name (''opatija'' means "abbey" in Croatian (Croatian language)) is located in ''Park Svetog Jakova'' or Saint James's Park. Saint James's church, built in 1506 and enlarged in 1937, now stands on the same spot. The neo-Romanesque Church of the Annunciation with its pronounced green cupola, was designed in 1906 by architect Karl Seidl. Another sight is the Villa Angiolina, built in 1844 by Iginio Scarpa. This villa, transformed into a museum. Since 1844. Villa Angiolina had many prominent guests Opatija is known for the ''Maiden with the seagull'', a statue by Zvonko Car (1956), which is positioned on a promontory by the Juraj Šporer art pavilion. It has turned into one of symbols of Opatija. A gilded variant of the statue Madonna, that once stood here but was demolished by communists after the end of World War II, now stands in front of Saint James's Church. The town park Angiolina contains many species of plants from all over the world. It has been protected since 1968. Close-by, vis-a-vis Hotel Imperial, stands the statue ''The Fountain - Helios and Selena'', a work of the Austrian sculptor Hans Rathautsky from 1889. There is a 12 km-long promenade along the entire riviera, the Lungomare from Volosko, via Opatija, to Lovran. Notable people
units, the Nipmucs may have been subject to or at the time part of the Wampanoags. The English settlement remained for many years a small fishing and farming village, growing to be Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts)'s more industrious side by the end of the 18th century. By the end of the 19th century, Assonet had begun to slowly return to its origins, having less and less industry in town. At the beginning of the 21st century, the village has once again begun to expand rapidly. 17th
at Nkhata Bay.