Places Known For

significant role


Shuyang County

, and west, the city plays a significant role in the transport hub. Shuyang is noted for its commercial horticulture, software, timber and textile industry. The economy grew dramatically in the last two decades. It has been ranked the top 100 most developed counties in China. Meanwhile, compared to the other cities of East China, Shuyang has a better performance in term of liveability and less pollution. Before 1949, Shuyang was a county under Haizhou (Lianyungang). From 1949 to 1996, it was one of counties of Huaiyin (Huai'an). After Suqian was established in 1996, Shuyang is under the administration of the new prefecture-level city. However, Shuyang is a province managed county in Jiangsu since 2011. That means it has the similar authorities to the prefecture level city although Suqian still manages the civil servants in Shuyang. Etymology The name of “Shuyang” was first officially used in 549 AD during Eastern Wei. The two Chinese characters in the county’s name are “沭” and “阳”, together meaning “in the north of Shuhe River”. As the government and commercial center, the county seat was chosen to constructed in the north of Shuhe River in 549 AD in order to control the land around the river basin. (清)唐仲冕修、汪梅鼎等撰,《嘉庆海州直隶州志》,江苏古籍出版社,2008年. History thumbnail default The City Wall in 1803 (File:SHUCHENG CITYWALL.png) Prior to its proclamation as Zhou Dynasty in 1111 BC, the area around northern of Jiangsu was inhabited by the Dongyi nation who established a lots of city-states. The area around Shuyang belonged to one of Dongyi states called ‘Tan (郯)’. (民国)戴仁、张景衡、吴鹏等监修,《民国重修沭阳县志》,江苏古籍出版社,2008年. In the late period of Zhou Dynasty, that is Spring and Autumn Period, the State of Lu began to expand its power to the south. Part of the region was officially proclaimed as the territory of the State of Lu in 582 BC after the military fortification, ‘Zhongcheng (中城)’, was built on the northwest. This is also the first city in this place in accordance with ‘The Spring and Autumn Annals’ which compiled by Confucius. In the Warring States period, the Chu (Chu (state)) conquered and controlled the land of this area. After Qin's wars of unification, the Qin Dynasty was established by Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China. ‘Houqiu County (厚丘县)’ was founded for administrating the region and the governments of later dynasties generally follow this pattern. In 549 AD, the imperial government of Eastern Wei abandoned the old castle and city wall and moved the local government into a new county seat near the north of Shuhe River. In the meantime, the county was changed to the present name, Shuyang County (沭阳县). In later 1400 years, the location of the county seat keep constant. (明)郑复亨修、裴天祐校,《隆庆海州志》,江苏古籍出版社,2000年. thumbnail On the Shuhe Riverside (File:Shuyang City View 02.JPG) As the main natural disaster in the northern Jiangsu, rain storms and floods are the principle threat to the county in old days. The castle and city wall of Shuyang was totally destroyed up to the middle of the 15th century. The government rebuilt the city wall until 1512 and was ruined by the floods subsequently. In 1594, the local government started to rebuild a substantial one with a plenty of bricks and stones and finished in 1616. In early modern period, the life in this region are recognised as peaceful and stable for most of the time. However, the life in modern years was full of challenges and crises. The biggest crisis was the Japanese invasion (Second Sino-Japanese War) in 1937. The city wall and many ancient architecture were devastated at the beginning of the war. Geography Shuyang is on the North China Plain, approximately 260 kilometers to Nanjing, and 450 kilometers to the center of Shanghai. The county stretches 60 kilometers from east to west, and 55 kilometers from north to south. Shuyang is located in a low-lying plain with an average elevation of merely 4.5 to 7 meters above sea level. Hanshan Hill is east of the county in Hanshan Town at an elevation of 70 meters above sea level. It is the tallest point of the whole region. Climate Shuyang has a distinct four-seasons, monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate with hot, humid summers, and generally mild, dry winters (Köppen climate classification Cfa). Winters are generally mild and dry, however, cold northwesterly winds from Mongolia-Siberia can cause temperatures to drop below freezing in the night, although there is an occasional snowfall in winters in recently years. Summers are hot and humid, southeasterly winds during the summer can push temperatures above 35 °C. In midsummer, occasional downpours, or thunderstorms can be expected. Category:Cities in Jiangsu Category:Populated places established in the 6th century BC Category:County-level divisions of Jiangsu


Oliver W. Dillard

, USA Retired year 2008 work page 116 publisher Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press accessdate From 1975 to 1978, Major General Dillard served as the DSCINT, United States Army Europe (USAREUR) and Seventh Army in Heidelberg, Germany, where Army Intelligence played a significant role in the defense of Europe. His use of United States Army Security Agency (ASA), and its successor United States Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM), assets ensured a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding and countering Soviet forces at the height of the Cold War. Category:1926 births Category:Living people Category:People from St. Clair County, Alabama Category:United States Army generals Category:United States Army Command and General Staff College alumni Category:National War College alumni Category:American military personnel of World War II Category:American military personnel of the Korean War Category:American military personnel of the Vietnam War Category:Recipients of the Distinguished Service Medal (United States) Category:Recipients of the Silver Star Category:Recipients of the Legion of Merit Category:Recipients of the Bronze Star Medal


Barrhead, Alberta

the original Express Trail, which was the shortest route to the Yukon during the Gold Rush years. Once established, this route was key to the settlement of the Peace River region. The old Barrhead town site, 3 km north of the present Town Centre, was a frequent stop over for the few Klondikers and others who needed supplies for the rigorous journey north. Originally established in 1906, Barrhead's position as a major trade centre on the historic Express Trail gave it a significant role in the settlement of north-western Alberta. It was a vital link in the trade route from Fort Edmonton to the Yukon. James McGuire, the child of one of the first settlers in the area, named Barrhead after his hometown in Scotland. Today, the community's rich history can be revisited through a collection of artifacts at the Barrhead and District Museum. The museum also houses a large display of African taxidermy, as well as the Barrhead Visitor Information Centre, which is open from May to September. The Great Blue Heron is another prominent figure in local lore, is often spotted along the shores of the Paddle River and local lakes, and is the town's official animal. A statue of the bird is situated next to the Community Gazebo that marks the town centre and miniatures of the bird adorn the street posts. The area was a quiet land of rolling hills well covered with stands of poplar, birch, pine and spruce trees on the higher ground with the low areas filled with willow and tamarack. The area has always been sparsely populated, with Cree natives passing through the region for the last 5000 years mainly settling around the different lakes in the region (such as Shoal Lake). In 1810 a First Nations trail was explored by David Thompson to connect the North Saskatchewan with Athabasca Pass, creating the first Canadian Transcontinental connection. In 1811 the first letter ever delivered from British Columbia to Montreal passed through this trail and its importance as a communication and trade route began to grow. In 1824, at the request of Gov. George Simpson the trail was widened from Fort Assiniboine to Fort Edmonton passing one mile (1.6 km) east of the present town, to accommodate the increased traffic along to route (as much as 75 horses or more a day). Some of the larger pack trains had over a hundred head of horses. The Cree natives and trappers moved across the area as they went about their business. As the First Nations peoples trapped a greater number of beavers and broke a number of dams the express trail (the Klondike trial) became flooded and partially abandoned until 1898. During the gold rush some Klondikers attempted to use the trail, although most preferred the drier route that was established heading up to Athabasca Landing (Athabasca, Alberta). The pack-trail was widened to allow teams of horses and wagons, loaded high with provisions, to carry gold seekers north. Homesteaders soon followed. Surveys of the land took place in 1906 and 1907 and the pioneers applied for quarters (160 acres) of land. Trading posts were busy on both the Pembina and Athabasca rivers. A small store in the log home of Percy and Mary Johnstone (2 miles north and east of the Hamlet of Kinuso (Kinuso, Alberta) and proceeds south through Swan Hills (Swan Hills, Alberta) and Barrhead (Barrhead, Alberta) to Highway 43 (Alberta Highway 43) near Gunn (Gunn, Alberta). location Barrhead County No. 11 (Barrhead County No. 11, Alberta), Alberta, Canada nearest_city Barrhead (Barrhead, Alberta), Edmonton (Edmonton, Alberta) lat_d 54


Khanaqin

south of Baghdad. Annazid Rulers '''Abul-Fath Mohammad bin Annaz (r. 990-1011)''' was the founder of the Annazid dynasty and ruled in Hulwan (Hulwan, Iran). Political conflicts during his twenty-year rule led to clashes in the west with the Arab clans ''Banu Oqayl'' (from whom he temporarily seized ''Daquq'' in 998) and the ''Banu Mazyad'', as well as a campaign against ''Zahman bin Hendi'', lord of Khanaqin, whose family he destroyed in 999. In the east, there was fierce competition between him and the ''Hasanwayhid'' Kurds (his relatives through marriage). In 1006, ''Badr bin Hasanuya'' aided by ''Abul-Hassan Ali bin Mazyad'', sent an army of 10,000 men against ''Abul-Fath'', who was compelled to seek refuge with the Buyid vizier, ''Amid-al-Joyus Abu Ali Hassan bin Abi Jafar'' in Baghdad. In a treaty concluded that year between the two Kurdish (Kurdish people) dynasties, ''Abul-Fath'' declared himself a ''Hasanwayhid'' vassal. *''Hawler *''Renwen'' (Khanaqin, Iraqi Kurdistan) *''Xebat'' (Kurdistan) They together had whose grandson became powerful in central and southern Kurdistan. Ahmad's successor, Baba Sulaiman extended his influence to Kirkuk. During the reign of Sulaiman Pasha, Baban rule was extended to Koya (Koi Sanjaq), Khanaqin, Arbil, Harir, Altun Kupri, Badra (Badra, Iraq) and some areas of Eastern Kurdistan (western Iran). The headquarters of Baban was initially based at ''Qala Chuwalan'', and later it was moved to the newly founded city of Sulaimaniya in 1781 during the reign of Mahmud Pasha Baban. The region under Baban rule stretched from the Little Zab river to the Sirwan (Diyala River). 52 people were killed and 65 wounded when two suicide bombers detonated themselves in Shi'ite (w:Shi'ite) mosques in the eastern Iraqi town of Khanaqin (w:Khanaqin), inhabited mostly by Shi'ite Kurds (w:Kurdish people). The bombers entered the mosques during Friday prayers and blew themselves up, completely destroying the buildings. The attack was the latest in a series of bombings by Sunni Muslim (w:Sunni Muslim) insurgents at Shi'ite mosques. thumb left 180px A U.S. Army medic tends to some minor injuries after the two truck bomb explosions. Iraqi ambulances evacuated those seriously injured in the attack to local hospitals. Photo by Maj. Alayne Conway (Image:Karradah bombing aftermath 11-18-2005.jpg)


Komárom

:''For other uses see Komarno'' Life As son of an officer of the Austro-Hungarian (Austria-Hungary) Army (Austro-Hungarian Army), he was born in Újszőny (Komárom) Österreichisches Staatsarchiv Kriegsarchiv , a small suburb of today Komárno (Slovakia) (but Újszőny is predecessor of Komárom in today Hungary). Family legend has it that he was related to the poet of the same name (Theodor Körner (author)), but these stories are not proven. Life As son of an officer of the Austro-Hungarian (Austria-Hungary) Army (Austro-Hungarian Army), he was born in Újszőny (Komárom) Österreichisches Staatsarchiv Kriegsarchiv , a small suburb of today Komárno (Slovakia) (but Újszőny is predecessor of Komárom in today Hungary). Family legend has it that he was related to the poet of the same name (Theodor Körner (author)), but these stories are not proven. Population Country borders don't closely follow linguistic boundaries, especially in the case of the northern part of the plain where Hungarians are a majority in the two southernmost districts Dunajská Streda and Komárno and a minority in the remaining districts. There are also smaller groups of Croats in the tri-state border region. Important cities in the region are Győr (HU), Komárom (HU), Komárno (SK), Dunajská Streda (SK), Nové Zámky (SK), and Mosonmagyaróvár (HU). The year 1240 was the closing one of the fifth millennium of the Jewish era. At that time the Jews were expecting the advent of their Messiah. The Mongol invasion in 1241 seemed to conform to expectation, as Jewish imagination expected the happy Messianic period to be ushered in by the war of Gog and Magog. Béla IV (1235–1270) appointed a Jewish man named Henul to the office of court chamberlain – the Jewish Teka had filled this office under Andrew II); and Wölfel and his sons Altmann (Altmann (Hungarian)) and Nickel (Nickel (Hungarian)) held the castle at Komárom with its domains in pawn. Béla also entrusted the Jews with the mint; and Hebrew coins of this period are still found in Hungary. In 1251 a ''privilegium'' was granted by Béla to his Jewish subjects which was essentially the same as that granted by Duke Frederick II the Quarrelsome (Frederick II, Duke of Austria) to the Austrian Jews in 1244, but which Béla modified to suit the conditions of Hungary. This ''privilegium'' remained in force down to the Battle of Mohács (1526). *Hátszeg (Hațeg RO) 11.8%, Besztercebánya (Banská Bystrica SL) 11.7%, Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) 11.6% * Sanz-Klausenburg Xn, Szamosújvár (Gherla) 11.3%, Vác 11.2%, *Beszterce (Bistriţa) 10.9%, Nagybánya (Baia Mare) 10.9%, Szászrégen (Reghin) 10.8% *, Komárom 10.7% Nx, Pozsony (Bratislava SL, Pressburg) 10.5%, Nyíregyháza 10.2% Qx, Szombathely 10.1% Nx, Arad (Arad (Arad, Romania) RO) 10.0%, Rimaszombat (Rimavská Sobota) 10.0%, *Baja (Baja, Hungary) 9.9% N, Eger 9.5% * Erlau qx, Érsekújvár (Nové Zámky) 9.5% Xn, Lőcse (Levoča SL) 9.5%, Lugos (Lugoj RO) 9.5%, Temesvár (Timișoara RO) 9.3%, Dicsőszentmárton (Târnăveni RO) 9.2%, Debrecen 9.1% *, Déva (Deva (Deva, Romania) RO) 9.1%, *Nice (France) metropolitan area extends from Grasse (France) to Ventimiglia (Italy), also including the Principality of Monaco (Monaco). *Komárno in Slovakia and Komárom in Hungary *Valga (Valga, Estonia) in Estonia and Valka in Latvia are one city historically, divided in 1920 by national border The bridge was designed by János Feketeházy in 1893; he built several bridges on the Danube, including the Liberty bridge (Liberty Bridge (Budapest)) in Budapest and the Elisabeth bridge between Komárno and Komárom. Since its opening on 28 September 1895, the bridge has been destroyed twice. On 22 July 1919 the bridge was destroyed by a detonation at its first pier on its western side but the bridge was renovated in 1922 and completely reconstructed in 1926. During World War II


Mosonmagyaróvár

control of Hungary, they could not occupy fortified cities such as Fehérvár, Esztergom, Veszprém, Tihany, Győr, Pannonhalma, Moson (Mosonmagyaróvár), Sopron, Vasvár, Újhely, Zala, Lockenhaus, Bratislava, Nitra, Komárom, Fiľakovo and Abaújvár. Learning from this lesson, fortresses came to play a significant role in Hungary. King Béla IV rebuilt the country and invested in fortifications. Facing a shortage of money, he welcomed


Tuxpan

was in charge of the garrison at Tuxpan, but did not play a significant role in the fighting with the United States Army. Based at Pensacola, Florida, ''Raritan'' then operated with the Home Squadron as it blockaded the east coast of Mexico and supported Army forces during the war with Mexico. As Commodore David Conner (David Conner (naval officer))'s flagship, she joined USS ''Potomac'' (USS Potomac (1822)) in landing 500 men at Point Isabel (Port Isabel, Texas) to reinforce that military depot in May 1846. During 1847, she participated in the landings at Veracruz (Veracruz, Veracruz) in March; at Tuxpan in April; and at Tabasco in June. ''Washington'' conducted sub-caliber practices, observed political conditions, and conducted torpedo practices off the ports of Tampico, Tuxpan, Progreso (Progreso, Yucatán), and Veracruz into the summer. Receiving provisions and stores from the supply ship , which recorded 10.59 inches (270 mm), and Puerto de Valles, which received 10 inches (254 mm) of rain. The rains also occurred in some more widely-known cities, including Acapulco, with 7.48 inches (190 mm) of rain, Los Mochis, with 7.06 inches (179 mm), Tuxpan, with 5.88 inches (149 mm), Chetumal, with 5.73 inches (146 mm), Monterrey, with 4.93 inches (125 mm), and Cancún, with a mere 1.35 inches (34.3 mm). According to newspaper reports, fourteen people died in the storms passage. Seven drowned in Veracruz and four in Nuevo León. An additional two people from Nuevo León were reported to be missing. This could rise in post-season analysis. Hundreds of homes were destroyed leaving 35,000 people homeless and there was severe damage in Tuxpan, Tamiahua, Pueblo Viejo (Pueblo Viejo (Veracruz)), Platon (Platon (town)), Pánuco (Pánuco (Veracruz)), Tampico Alto, and elsewhere along the coast of northeast Mexico. In Quintana Roo, large areas of farmland were lost to the storm. class "wikitable" align "right" *1859-04-11 - Martyrs of Tacubaya - The forces of conservative general Leonardo Márquez executed the prisoners taken during battle with the forces of liberal general Santos Degollado in Tacubaya, outside of Mexico City. *1928-04-15 - The first scheduled flight of the Mexican Company of Aereal Transportation (today Mexicana de Aviación) took place on the route Mexico City-Tuxpan-Tampico. *April 16, 1839 - The Mexican state of Morelos was created.


Majdal Shams

in Majdal Shams continued to make souvenir daggers for European tourists until the 1950s. Munir Fakher Eldin, “Art and Colonial Modernityin the Occupied Golan Heights” (Lecture, Fatah Mudarris Center, Majdal Shams,28 June 2012) French Mandate and Independent Syria Majdal Shams played a significant role in the Great Syrian Revolt of 1925-1927. In October 1925, a few months after Syrian Druze had begun fighting French forces in the nearby province of Jabal al-Duruz, a group of the town's Druze residents looted local Christian property. Mandate authorities sent troops to restore order, and community leaders contacted the central command of the revolt for assistance defending the town against the French. Lenka Bokova, Laconfrontation franco-syrienne à l’époque du mandat, 1925-1927 (Paris:Editions L’Harmattan, 1990), 220-221 In response, rebel leader Zaid al-Atrash (brother of Sultan al-Atrash) led a force of 1,000 men to Majdal Shams. Zaid al-Atrash drove French troops from the area and established a rebel garrison in Majdal Shams to guard the road between Damascus and Marjayoun. Bokova, ''La confrontation'', 223 The garrison housed up to 10,000 rebels until April 1926, when French forces launched a renewed attack on the town. During the assault, French soldiers destroyed much of Majdal Shams and killed approximately 80 residents of the town. Tayseer Mara’i and Usama R. Halabi, “Life Under Occupation in the Golan Heights,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 22.1 (Autumn 1992), 78-93; Hassan Khater, ''Monument to the Maryrs of the Great Syrian Revolt'', 1925, Buq’ātha, Golan Heights Beginning in the 1930s, Majdal Shams residents and community leaders became involved in political developments in nearby Mandatory Palestine. During the 1936–39 Arab revolt in Palestine, traditional leader Assad Kanj Abu Salah proposed forming a local militia to assist the rebels. The plan did not come to fruition; according to conflicting accounts, the militia never formed, or engaged in only a single symbolic attack on the Syria-Palestine border. Laila Parsons, The Druze Between Palestine and Israel, 1947-49 (New York: St.Martin’s Press, 2000): 31; Yoav Gelber, “Druze and Jews in the War of 1948,” Middle Eastern Studies 31.2 (April 1995): 234 During the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Abu Salah's son Sultan formed a militia of 300 local men. The militia offered to serve as paid mercenaries for Zionist forces, but later volunteered with Palestinian and Arab forces. Gelber, “Druze and Jews": 233; Kais M. Firro, ''The Druzes in the Jewish State: A Brief History'' (Brill: Leiden, 1999): 43-44 Majdal Shams was integrated into economic networks that extended into Lebanon and other parts of Syria. The town traded local grapes for olives grown in Fiq (Fiq, Syria), 50 kilometers to the south. Sakr Abu Fakhr, “Voices from the Golan,” ''Journal ofPalestine Studies 29.4'' (August 2000): 9 Men from Majdal Shams harvested cedar wood in Lebanon, which they manufactured into plows and sold in as-Suwayda. Abu Fakhr, "Voices": 14 In the 1950s, some local residents travelled to Lebanon to work in construction. Munir Fakher Eldin, “Art and Colonial Modernity in the Occupied Golan Heights” (Lecture, Fatah Mudarris Center, Majdal Shams, 28 June 2012) Residents of Majdal Shams received access to Syrian state services. By the 1960s, there was a public elementary school in Majdal Shams. Residents attended the regional high school and registered marriages at the court in Quneitra. Aharon Layish, ''Marriage, Divorce and Succession in the Druze Family: A Study Based on Decisions of Druze Arbitrators and Religious Courts in Israel and the Golan Heights'' (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1982): 36; Sakr Abu Fakhr, “Voices from the Golan,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 29.4 (August 2000): 15 These institutions served to integrate the community into the broader region and state. Israeli occupation thumb 250px Majdal Shams in winter (File:PikiWiki Israel 30172 Cities in Israel.JPG) thumb 250px The Purple Line (ceasefire line) barrier (File:Majdal Shams border 11.jpg) between the Israeli-occupied portion of the Golan Heights and Syrian controlled territory Since the June 1967 Six-Day War, Majdal Shams has been under Israeli control. During the 1967 Six Day War, residents of the nearby towns of Ain Fit, Banias, Jubata ez-Zeit, and Za'ura took shelter in Majdal Shams. After Israeli forces had secured the area, soldiers forced refugees across the ceasefire line into Syrian controlled territory, but permitted residents of Majdal Shams and a few other communities to remain in their homes. Tayseer Mara’i and Usama R. Halabi, “Life Under Occupation in the Golan Heights,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 22.1 (Autumn 1992): 79 As Israel and Syria fortified the ceasefire line, which ran along the eastern edge of Majdal Shams, the community was isolated from the rest of Syria. Many residents were separated from their relatives living or working in Syrian-controlled territory—as many as 50% from at least one sibling, parent, or child. Peter Ford, “Families Long for an End to Shouting,” ''Christian Science Monitor'' (27 October 1992): 7 During the 1970s, the Israeli government actively worked to integrate Majdal Shams into Israel. The state opened a public elementary school in Majdal Shams and a public secondary school in the nearby town of Mas'ade. “The Struggle of Identity Between the Israeli Education System and the Syrian Arab Programs: Paper Presented By Al Marsad, the Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, on Behalf of the Convenio 2015 at the WEF Forum, Haifa,30 October 2010” (Lecture, WEF Forum Haifa, 30 October 2010); Bashar Tarabieh, “Education, Control, and Resistance in the Golan Heights,” ''Middle East Report'' 195 195 (May–August 1995): 44 These schools originally used curricula developed for Arab citizens of Israel, and later adopted curricula designed specifically for Druze children. The Struggle of Identity Between the Israeli Education System and the Syrian Arab Programs: Paper Presented By Al Marsad, the Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, on Behalf of the Convenio2015 at the WEF Forum, Haifa, 30 October 2010” (Lecture, WEF Forum Haifa, 30 October 2010); Mara’i and Halabi, “Life Under Occupation”: 81 Israeli authorities confiscated large amounts of private and communal land for military use and earmarked a disproportionate percentage of local water resources for Israeli settlements. Al-Marsad: The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, “The Occupied Syrian Golan: Background” (Majdal Shams: Al-Marsad, The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, 2010) As a result, many residents who had previously worked in agriculture were forced to seek employment with Israeli companies, often in construction. Majdal Shams retained close ties to Syria. Residents frequently gathered at the eastern edge of the village with bullhorns to shout messages to friends and relatives on the Syrian side of the ceasefire line. Hannah Russell ed., ''Breaking Down the Fence: Addressing the Illegality of Family Separation in the Occupied Syrian Golan'' (Majdal Shams: Al-Marsad, The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, 2010). Through the 1970s, and often later, many households refused to pay taxes to the state of Israel. Felicia Langer, ''With My Own Eyes: Israel and the Occupied Territories 1967-1973'' (London: Ithaca Press, 1975): 118-119 In 1981,when the Israeli Knesset formally annexed at 520 m above sea level. *Jesus Trail - a 65 km hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces routes Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The trail begins in Nazareth, and passes through Sepphoris, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, the Mount of Beatitudes, Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. *Golan Trail - a 125 km route from the slopes of Mt. Hermon to the southern Golan Heights. It passes many towns and settlements including Majdal Shams, Nimrod (Nimrod, Golan Heights), Masade, Buq'ata, Odem, Merom Golan, and Ein Zivan. *Valley of Springs Trail - a 120 km route in and around the Jordan Valley (Jordan Valley (Middle East)), terminating in Beit She'an and on Mount Gilboa near Kibbutz Meirav. The trail connects numerous springs (for which the area is famous) and other historical and natural attractions. 55 Kiryat Shmona, Maayan Baruch, HaGoshrim, She'ar Yashuv, Dafna, Dan (Dan (kibbutz)), Snir, Si'on Junc., Neve Ativ, Majdal Shams, Mas'adah, Buq'ata, El Rom, Merom Golan, Ein Zivan, Ortal, Katzrin, Beit Saida Junc., Gadot, Mishmar HaYarden, Mahanaim, Camp Yiftah, Hazor HaGelilit -


National Telecommunications and Information Administration

the Freedom Tower. The TOP program, which was last awarded grants in 2004, plays a significant role in understanding the vision of an information society by providing logical applications of innovative telecommunications and information technologies in both the public and non-profit


Put-in-Bay, Ohio

''' is a village (village (United States)#Ohio) located on South Bass Island in Put-in-Bay Township (Put-in-Bay Township, Ohio), Ottawa County (Ottawa County, Ohio), Ohio, United States. The population was 138 at the 2010 census (2010 United States Census). The bay played a significant role in the War of 1812 as the location of the squadron of U.S. naval commander Oliver Hazard Perry, who sailed from the port on September 10, 1813 to engage a British (United Kingdom) squadron just north of the island in the Battle of Lake Erie. The village is a popular summer resort and recreational destination. Ferry and airline services connect the community with Catawba Island (Catawba Island Township, Ottawa County, Ohio), Kelleys Island (Kelleys Island, Ohio), Port Clinton (Port Clinton, Ohio), and Sandusky, Ohio. Geography Put-in-Bay is located The '''Crystal Cave''' is a limestone cave located in Put-in-Bay, Ohio,located on South Bass Island in Lake Erie, It is also the world's largest known geode. ''Detroit'' was built by the British at Malden (Malden, Ontario), Canada, in 1813 and captured by the United States during the Battle of Lake Erie on 10 September 1813. She was so badly damaged that she was taken into Put-in-Bay, Ohio, to prevent her sinking. She was laid up at Erie, Pennsylvania until sold in 1825.


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017