Places Known For

significant building


Kingman, Arizona

and a long decommissioned runway. Kingman is a non-towered airport. Rail Kingman has passenger rail service at its train station (Kingman (Amtrak station)). It is served by the Amtrak Southwest Chief (Southwest Chief) route, with daily service between Los Angeles and Chicago. The small Amtrak station in downtown Kingman is a historically significant building, constructed in Mission Revival Style architecture; however, prior to the establishment of Amtrak in 1971, the structure had fallen into disrepair with the decline of passenger rail service in the U.S. A total renovation of the building was completed in 2010. While still serving as a railroad station, the building is also now home to a model railroad museum. Kingman also is located on the Southern Transcon route of the BNSF Railway. This is the main transcontinental route between Los Angeles and Chicago, and carries 100 to 150 freight trains per day. In August 2012 the Kingman Terminal Railroad ( KGTR ) opened at the Kingman Airport Authority and Industrial Park. The KGTR is a short line railroad owned by Patriot Rail. Patriot Rail owns and operates 13 railroads in 13 states across the U.S. The KGTR interchanges with BNSF and delivers to the customers that populate the industrial park. Education Kingman has one public school district, one charter school district, and one Christian school. All primary education is split between the public and charter school districts: Kingman Unified School District and Kingman Academy of Learning. Public schools Kingman Unified School District (KUSD) consists of 12 schools. These are divided between elementary, middle, and high schools, plus one K-12. . and closed in 1994, when the Smithsonian Institution opened the Heye Center of the National Museum of the American Indian in the former Custom House (Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House) in lower Manhattan. Heye died on January 20, 1957. The Verde River drainage into the Salt River, at its very northwestern drainages, east of Kingman, Arizona, even drains the South Rim, of the Grand Canyon. Thus, the '''''Gila River watershed''''', may cover more than sixty (60) percent of the state. ::SW: one sixth of state as ''–dry-wash– or –desert–'' :W (+NW–Kingman (Kingman, Arizona)), (into Colorado River): Bill Williams River (and Big Sandy River (Big Sandy River (Arizona))) While he is in a coma, Tony has a long dream-like experience that is woven throughout the episode. The experience begins with Tony awaking in a hotel room at a Radisson Hotel (Radisson Hotels) in Costa Mesa, California. He is a mild-mannered precision optics salesman on a business trip, without his thick New Jersey accent. That night, he goes to the hotel's bar, where he notices a TV showing a brush fire in Costa Mesa; he also notices a strange light that glows on the horizon as he looks out the window. The next morning he goes to a convention and is asked for ID to gain admittance. But Tony has someone else's wallet and briefcase, a man named Kevin Finnerty from Kingman, Arizona, to whom he bears a resemblance. Tony says that he must have unintentionally picked up these items the previous evening at the hotel bar. He returns to the bar, where a group of business travelers overhear him telling his story to the bartender (when asked what Costa Mesa is like, the bartender replies, "Around here, it's dead"). The group invite Tony to join them for dinner, during which he discusses his 'life' in more detail, alluding to a midlife crisis by saying, "I mean, who am I? Where am I going?" As he and his group leave, Tony notices a commercial on TV, which displayed the question, "Are sin, disease and death real?", followed by the Cross. After dinner, outside the hotel, Tony makes a pass at a woman from the group. She responds at first but then cuts him off. She tells him she saw his face when he got off the phone with his wife (whose voice is not Carmelas). Suddenly, a helicopter spotlight shines on the pair, to which the woman says "They must be looking for a perp". It is here that Tony awakens from his original coma, and rips out his breathing tube. He is moaning "Who am I? Where am I going?" (The latter phrase perhaps being both a reference to his life in both the dream and waking life, and his afterlife). Known as the '''''Bing Kong Tong Society''''' (or '''''Bing Kung Association''''' in Seattle, Washington), the organization was one of the largest in California when the Hop Sing (Hop Sing Tong) and Suey Sing Tongs allied against the Bing Kongs, instigating one of the most violent of the Tong wars in the United States. As the gang war continued, the numerous murders caught the attention of the press as the often gruesome slayings were detailed. Eventually an investigation headed by Santa Rosa, California, attorney Wallace L. Ware Street, Richard Steven. ''Beasts of the Field: A Narrative History of California Farmworkers, 1769-1913''. Stanford University Press, 2004. ISBN 0-8047-3880-7, 978-0-804-73880-4. p398. , in cooperation with the District Attorney's office, exposed the extent of the Bing Kongs influence throughout the Chinese American populations along the west coast and southwestern United States (as far as the conviction of four members for a Tong murder in Kingman, Arizona). Weakened by the decade long war against the rival Tongs as well as state authorities, the Bing Kongs would eventually merge as a powerful trade union, under the '''''Association; Free Masons''''' although it is suspected by federal and local law enforcement officials to still have remaining ties to organized crime. '''KMOH-TV''' is a full-service television station in Kingman, Arizona, providing over-the-air service to Kingman, Bullhead City (Bullhead City, Arizona) Laughlin (Laughlin, Nevada), and surrounding Mohave County (Mohave County, Arizona). It broadcasts in digital (ATSC) on UHF (Ultra high frequency) channel 19 from its transmitter on Black Mountain near Oatman (Oatman, Arizona). KMOH is an affiliate of Tr3́s.


Brampton

. History thumb left John Haggert (File:John Haggert.gif), Brampton's first mayor WikiPedia:Brampton, Ontario


Tallahassee, Florida

, Florida Leon County . The Florida State Capitol is located in the downtown Tallahassee, housing the executive and legislative offices as well as the state's legislative chambers. caption Florida Capitol buildings (Old Capitol in foreground) location Tallahassee (Tallahassee, Florida), Florida area The '''Florida State Capitol''', in Tallahassee (Tallahassee, Florida), Florida, USA (United States), is an architecturally and historically significant building, having


Kazan

Another significant building in central Kazan is the former "Smolentzev and Shmelev" tea house and hotel, now the Shalyapin Palace Hotel. It is located at 7 80 Universitetskaya Street, at the corner of Universitetskaya and Bauman. A major landmark of late-19th and early-20th century commercial architecture, it consists of two portions. The original portion, built for a merchant named Usmanov in the 1860s, was bought by the inter-related families of Efim Smolentzev and Pavel and Nikolai


Turin

, built for the 1884 International Exhibition (World's fair). Among the other significant buildings, ''Corso Massimo d'Azeglio'' hosts the Torino Esposizioni complex (Turin's exhibition hall built in the 1930s) featuring a monumental entrance with a large full height porch, the circular building which hosts a night club, and the ''Teatro Nuovo'', a theatre mostly focused on ballets exhibitions. Another significant building is the largest synagogue of the city, located in ''Piazzetta Primo Levi'' square. Its architecture stands in the main sight of the city, as characterised by four large towers – 27 meters high – topped by four onion domes. Crocetta thumb right ''Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II'' (File:MonumentoVittorioEmanueleII.JPG) thumb right Polytechnic University of Turin Turinese Institute of Technology ''Politecnico'' (File:Politecnico Torino.JPG) thumb left The ''Spina Centrale'' is a new under-construction boulevard built over the undergrounded railway. It is already completed in ''Crocetta'' (File:Boulevard Spina Centrale Torino.JPG) South of ''Centro'' stands the ''Crocetta'' district, considered one of the most exclusive districts of the city, because of high rated residential buildings. Heart of the district is the partially pedestrianized area crossed by ''Corso Trieste'', ''Corso Trento'' and ''Corso Duca D'Aosta'', plenty of some notable residential buildings in eclectic, neo-Gothic and Art Nouveau style. The area was built between 1903 and 1937 replacing the old parade ground, which was moved in the Southern part of the city. North of this area stands the ''GAM (Galleria d'Arte Moderna)'', one of the two Museum of Modern Arts of the Turin Metro area (the second and largest one is hosted in ''Castello di Rivoli'', a former Savoy Royal castle in the suburbs). The Museum stands in front a huge monument situated in the centre of the roundabout between ''Corso Vittorio Emanuele II'' and ''Corso Galileo Ferraris'': the ''Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II'', a King of Savoy statue situated on a 39-meters high column. Next to the Museum, another significant residential building hosts the head office of Juventus, one of the two main Turin football clubs. West of this area the main building of Polytechnic University of Turin stands along ''Corso Duca Degli Abruzzi''. The 1958 building is a complex of 122,000 square meters, hosts approximately 30,000 students every year and is considered one of the major Institutes of Technology of the country – mainly due to the vocation of the city for the industrialization, pushed by the automotive sector. This institute recently expanded in the western district of ''Cenisia'' with additional modern buildings. Crocetta is crossed by large and modern avenues, such as ''Corso Duca degli Abruzzi'', ''Corso Galileo Ferraris'', and ''Corso Einaudi''. These avenues feature endless rows of trees which are a symbol of Turin's typical urbanity. However, the most popular avenue is ''Corso De Gasperi'', which, albeit smaller than other avenues of the district, hosts one of the most fashionable open markets of the city, the so-called ''Mercato della Crocetta'', in which it is possible to find some discounted branded clothing among the more popular ones. The Western border of Crocetta is instead an example of contemporary architecture. The huge avenue, made up of ''Corso Mediterraneo'' and ''Corso Castelfidardo'', is part of ''Spina Centrale'' boulevard and was recently built over the old railway (now undergrounded): as a result, the avenue is very large (up to 60 meters) and modern, having been rebuilt with valuable materials, including a characteristic lighting system supported by white high poles. This avenue hosts some examples of contemporary art, such as Mario Merz's ''Igloo'' fountain or the Per Kirkeby's ''Opera per Torino'' monument in ''Largo Orbassano''. The East side of the district is also known as ''Borgo San Secondo'' and was so named after the church of the same name standing in ''Via San Secondo'', a major street in the neighbourhood. This area is located near ''Porta Nuova'' railway station and is actually older than the rest of the district, featuring several apartment buildings from the late 19th century. A local open market is held in ''Piazza San Secondo'' and along ''Via Legnano''. The market square also hosts the former washhouse and public baths of the neighbourhood, among the oldest examples of their kind in Turin (1905); unfortunately this facility lies vacant and run down today. One of the main thoroughfares crossing Borgo San Secondo is ''Via Sacchi'', which serves as an ideal gate to the city centre: its Serlian arcades on the west side of the street (the east side is enclosed by ''Porta Nuova'' railway station service buildings) host some significant boutiques and hotels, such as the historic ''Pfatisch'' pastry shop and the ''Turin Palace Hotel'' (currently under restoration). South of ''Via Sacchi'', ''Ospedale Mauriziano'' is one of the ancient and major hospitals of the city. Going further southwards, it is possible to appreciate an interesting residential cluster of old public housing gravitating around ''Via Arquata''. Cenisia thumb left General Motors (File:GM Power Train Europe.JPG) Turinese headquarters Bordered by ''Corso Castelfidardo'', ''Corso Vittorio Emanuele II'', ''Corso Trapani'' and ''Corso Peschiera'', this small district in mainly significant for hosting the recent expansion of Turinese Institute of Technology ''Politecnico''. The expansion was possible after under-grounding the railway under ''Corso Castelfidardo'' and the subsequent disposal of the old buildings dedicated to the train maintenance present in this area (so called ''Officine Grandi Riparazioni'' or ''OGR''). The ''Politecnico'' expanded its facilities trough two huge overpass buildings over the avenue, linked to new buildings on the west side. This cluster of buildings forms an evocative square with a unique architectural style. The main building on the west side hosts a General Motors research centre, the ''General Motors Powertrain Europe''. The ''Politecnico'' area extends than till ''Via Boggio'' with further facilities hosted in the former ''OGR'' facilities. The Institute plans to further build new facilities in the current parking area. North of ''Politecnico'' facilities, the main building of the ''OGR'' former cluster, which consists in three 180-meters long joint parallel buildings, became recently a big open space which hosts temporary exhibitions and during the hot seasons, its external spaces became a fashionable site to have a typical Italian ''aperitivo''. North of ''OGR'', a former prison complex called ''Le Nuove'' is a significant example of old European prison building. The complex has been built between 1857 and 1869 during the reign of Victor Emmanuel II. After having being disposed during the 1990s, the complex is today a museum and it is possible to visit its facilities. An example of contemporary art is the heating plant in ''Corso Ferrucci'', which has been covered with aluminium panels. Another building (19th century), now abandoned, is the former Westinghouse (Westinghouse Brakes#Rail vehicles) factory of train brakes situated in ''Via Borsellino''. The remaining part of the district is mainly formed by residential buildings with not significant architectural value. The district had its development mainly after the World War II, following the industrial development of the town - in particular, the expansion of Lancia automotive factories in the ''Borgo San Paolo'' neighbourhood, culminated in the construction of Palazzo Lancia in 1954, the company's former headquarters. Industrialization led to consequent population growth in the nearby areas, including ''Cenisia''. Main avenues which are crossing the district are ''Corso Ferrucci'' and ''Corso Racconigi''. This last one is hosting a huge daily open market, the ''Mercato di Corso Racconigi''. Cit Turin thumb right 200px ''Casa della Vittoria'' (File:Casa della Vittoria Torino.jpg) The smaller district of the city is ''Cit Turin'' ("Little Turin" in Piedmontese language). This small triangle surrounded by ''Corso Vittorio Emanuele II'', ''Corso Francia'' and ''Corso Inghilterra'' hosts some high rated residential buildings and is regarded as a prestigious residential neighbourhood by local people. thumb left Intesa Sanpaolo (File:Grattacielo Intesa-Sanpaolo Torino.jpg) banking group headquarters The district features many buildings in Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Neo-Gothic style. Among them, one of the most impressive and well-known is the ''Casa Della Vittoria'' (architect ''Gottardo Gussoni''). Another notable example is ''Casa Fenoglio''. Both buildings face Corso Francia. The district is well known for its commercial vocation mainly in its two main streets, ''Via Duchessa Jolanda'' and ''Via Principi d'Acaja'', ideally crossing each other among the gardens ''Giardino Luigi Martini'', locally called ''Piazza Benefica'', which hosts a popular open market. The district is also characterised by two massive recent buildings: the ''Palazzo di Giustizia'', Turin's new courthouse built in the 1990s (in a 350-metre long facility), and the ongoing construction of the first real skyscraper of Turin, the ''Torre Intesa Sanpaolo'', which will house the headquarters of one of the major Italian private banks. San Donato thumb 304x304px ''Chiesa di Nostra Signora del Suffragio e Santa Zita'' (File:Torino-CampanileChiesaDiNostraSignoradelSuffragio.png) ''San Donato'' district is located between ''Corso Francia'', ''Corso Lecce'', ''Corso Potenza'', ''Via Nole'', the ''Parco Dora'' and ''Corso Principe Oddone''. It was populated since the medieval era, but becomes bigger during the 19th century, prospering around the canal ''Canale di San Donato'', which does not exist any more, currently replaced by the central street of the district, ''Via San Donato''. Buildings in the district are relatively recent (around 1820), except for the oldest group of small houses located in the area of ''Brusachœr'' (''Palazzo Forneris'' building) located along ''Via Pacinotti'' near the small ''Piazza Paravia''. The conservation of the street and of this old building influences the straightness of ''Via San Donato'', which makes a slight curve to result in parallel with ''Via Pacinotti'' before ending in central ''Piazza Statuto ''square. Main church of the district is the ''Chiesa di Nostra Signora del Suffragio e Santa Zita'', which with its 83 meters height of its bell tower, is well known to be the fifth tallest structure in the city of Turin, after the Mole Antonelliana, the Intesa-Sanpaolo skyscraper (Intesa Sanpaolo), the ''Torre Littoria'' and the two pennons of the Juventus Stadium. The church is hosting the ''Istituto Suore Minime di Nostra Signora del Suffragio'' and it was promoted and designed by Francesco Faà di Bruno. The legend says, that he wanted to build the tallest bell tower of the town and put a clock on the top, to all the poor people to know the time for free. The small building near the church, is what remains of ''Casa Tartaglino'', a small residential building which was also extended and modified by Faa di Bruno. ''Villino Cibrario'' in ''Via Saccarelli'' is another significant building designed by Barnaba Panizza in 1842. The building was equipped with a large garden which was eliminated to host the street. The neighbourhood has a high concentration of historic buildings in Art Nouveau style designed by architect Pietro Fenoglio (among the others, the prestigious ''Villino Raby'' in Corso Francia 8). Other significant buildings are the ''Villa Boringhieri'' in Via San Donato, and other Art Nouveau and Neo-Gothic buildings are situated in ''Via Piffetti ''and ''Via Durandi.'' Among the modern buildings of the district, the most significant one is of course the ''Torre BBPR'' Tower (which took the name from the architecture office who designed it). The building is representing the ''post-rationalism Italian architecture'' (same style of the better known Torre Velasca tower in the city of Milan). Tower is facing the central ''Piazza Statuto'' square. District is crossed by some significant avenues: on ''Corso Svizzera'', which crosses the district from North To South, faces the Business Centre ''Piero Della Francesca'', where the offices of ''Tuttosport,'' one of the three national sports daily newspapers has its head offices. Also on ''Corso Svizzer''a, stands one of the oldest hospitals of the city, the ''Ospedale Ademeo di Savoia'', specialised in infectious diseases. Other major avenues are ''Corso Umbria'' and ''Corso Tassoni''. Another big avenue, which border the district on its East, is ''Corso Principe Oddone'', which in the past was along the railway to Milan. Currently the railway has been under-grounded: the avenue will be enlarged and have same architecture style of southern ''Corso Inghilterra'' in downtown, becoming one of the major avenue of Turin. Northern part of the district was part of the former industrial district of Turin, recently reconverted to a park called ''Parco Dora''. Mainly, in ''San Donato'' the portion reconverted was the one occupied by the plant of Michelin (west of ''Via Livorno'') and FIAT (Fiat) ironwork plants (on the East). Differently for other portions of ''Parco Dora'', this part has been totally reconverted to park without letting any evidence of the industrial area except for the cooling tower which stands along ''Corso Umbria'' and became a symbol of the park. Works are completed in the western area, where ''Corso Mortara'' has been closed to traffic and moved just a bit northern and covered by an artificial tunnel. It is possible to access the southern shore of the ''Dora'' river. South of the Park, an interesting architecture of different levels sis hosting a new shopping mall called ''Centro Commerciale Parco Dora''. East of ''Via Livorno'', works are still partially in progress, with the Dora river still to be uncovered by a big slab, on which the FIAT (Fiat) plants where used to stand). West of ''Via Livorno'', the ''Environment Park'' is a research centre for renewable engines. Aurora thumb right ''Cortile del Maglio'' (File:Cortile del Maglio.JPG) thumb left Tiny streets of ''Borgo Dora'' (File:BorgoDora.JPG) ''Aurora'' is one of the most ancient districts which developed out of the medieval city walls (Defensive wall), north of the historical city centre. It stretches from downtown northern boundaries in ''Corso Regina Margherita'' (an extended and important thoroughfare of Turin) up to ''Corso Vigevano'' and ''Corso Novara'' in the North Side (namely the old excise boundary till the early 20th century); the western boundary is ''Corso Principe Oddone'' (now part of the ''Spina Centrale'' boulevard) and the eastern border is the Dora river. The district was named Aurora after the so-called ''cascina Aurora'', an old farmstead lying north of the Dora river, right at the intersection between ''Corso Giulio Cesare'' and ''Corso Emilia''. The farmstead has long been demolished and the area has been converted to office buildings, hosting the Turinese textile company ''Gruppo Finanziario Tessile'' (''GFT'') headquarters until the early 21st century. The historical hub of the district is ''Borgo Dora'' ("Dora Borough"), a small neighbourhood next to ''Porta Palazzo'' and enclosed by ''Corso Regina Margherita'', ''Via Cigna'', the Dora river and ''Corso Giulio Cesare''. Once known as ''Borgo del Pallone'' (literally "Ball Borough") or ''Balon'' in Piedmontese dialect ( WikiPedia:Turin Dmoz:Regional Europe Italy Regions Piedmont Localities Turin Commons:Category:Turin


Norway

Park publisher American Institute of Architects accessdate 2007-05-15 ) The only other significant building that survived the fair is the Norway Pavilion, a building now preserved at a museum called "Little Norway (Little Norway, Wisconsin)" in Blue Mounds, Wisconsin. "The Viking," a replica of the ancient Viking ship "The Gokstad", built at Framnes Shipyard in Sandefjord, Norway in 1892 and sailed across the Atlantic to the fair in 1893


United States

, Georgia (Georgia (U.S. state)), in the United States, is an architecturally and historically significant building. It has been named a National Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the main office building of Georgia's government. The offices of the governor (governor of Georgia), lieutenant governor (lieutenant governor of Georgia), and secretary of state (Secretary of State of Georgia) are on the second floor (storey), while

and historically significant building, having been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The capitol is located at the intersection (intersection (road)) of Apalachee Parkway and Monroe Street (Florida State Road 61) in downtown Tallahassee, Florida, the state capital (Capital (political)). thumb 165px Florida State Capitol interior (Image:Florida State Capitol interior.jpg) The Plaza Level holds several items of note besides the offices of the Florida Governor


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017