Places Known For

significant


Mosonmagyaróvár

on his way to the Rába. During the Crusades, Kálmán (Coloman of Galicia-Lodomeria), King of Győr and Moson, was able to defeat a Swabian-Bavarian army of 15,000 men from the castle. There was significant industrial and urban development during the 13th century, when Moson once again found itself along a trade route. Mills and churches were built during this time. All advances were destroyed, however, by Ottokar II (Ottokar II of Bohemia), a Czech (Czechs) King of Bohemia

king , when he leveled the castle at Moson in 1271. Béla IV (Béla IV of Hungary), King of Hungary at the time, did not consider it worthwhile to try and rebuild the castle at Moson, and thus turned to Óvár as a promising site for a future fortress. The King gave a man named Conrad, who was of the Győr tribe, lands in Moson and funds to be able to accomplish this task. Though he made significant improvements to the castle, he defected to Ottokar II and Albert I of Germany Duke Albert

the later 1900s. During the Second World War, unemployment plummeted and the town's industry prospered. The town did not suffer much damage during the war; in 1946, its significant German (German people) population was deported. In 1948, bus services were created. During the later 1940s most of the town's institutions were nationalized (nationalization) by the communist regime (People's Republic of Hungary). As many as 50 protesting civilians were killed during the Hungarian Revolution


Cherchell

; Ancient history The Phoenicians of Carthage settled at Cherchell in the 4th century BC and named the town '''Iol''' or '''Jol'''. The town became a part of the kingdom of Numidia under Jugurtha, who died in 104 BC. The town became very significant to the Berber (Berber people) monarchy and generals of Numidia. The Berber Kings Bocchus I and Bocchus II lived there, as occasionally did other Kings of Numidia. Iol was situated in an area

and its kingdom flourished during this period with most of the population being of Greek (Greeks) and Phoenician origin with a minority of Berber (Berber people)s. It remained a significant power center under Numidian rule with a Greco-Roman civilization (Greco-Roman world) as a veneer, until 40 AD, when its last monarch Ptolemy of Mauretania was murdered on a visit to Rome. The murder of Ptolemy set in motion a series of reactions resulting in a devastating war with Rome. In 44

Greco-Phoenician, Berber, and Roman population. The city featured a hippodrome, amphitheatre, basilica, numerous Greek temples, and Roman civic buildings. During this heyday, the city had its own school of philosophy, academy, and library. As a significant city of the Roman Empire it had trading contacts across the Roman world. Subsequently, the town was the birthplace of the Roman Emperor Macrinus and Greek grammarian Priscian. Additionally, the city also


Drohobych

century (sources differ as to an exact year and some give 1422, 1460, or 1496 Drohobych in Encyclopedia of Ukraine but in 1506 the right were confirmed by the king Alexander the Jagiellonian). In the 14th–16th centuries the city was a home of significant salt industry. From the early-17th century, the Ukrainian Catholic brotherhood existed in the city, In 1648

, during the Khmelnytsky Uprising, the Cossacks stormed the city and its cathedral. Most of the local Poles, as well as the Greek Catholics and the Jews, were murdered at the time, while some managed to survive in the Bell tower not taken in the raid. The 1772 partition of Poland (Partitions of Poland) gave the city to Austria (Austria-Hungary). As the significant oil (Petroleum) resources were discovered in the area, the city became an important center of the oil industry oil

was occupied by the Nazi Germany. As Drohobych had a significant Jewish population, the city became the site of a large ghetto (Drohobych ghetto) which the Nazis liquidated in June 1943. The Nazi Crimes in the territory of the USSR On August 6, 1944, the Nazi German occupation of Drohobych ended, however, it was immediately reoccupied by the Soviets. Following the war, the city remained an oblast center until


Pale, Bosnia and Herzegovina

. During this time significant investment and economic changes were made in Pale and the surrounding areas. The new overlords were favoring the exploitation of the natural resources, primarily mineral and wood products. The town of Pale at this point becomes an important logging and wood products center in the region. According the to the 1895 census, Pale with the adjacent villages had 483 inhabitants. 440 inhabitants were engaged in agricultural and logging activities while 27 were

various ailments that affected city dwellers. In this period the town also received the first medical facility as well as a library. By the 1940 Pale already have the looks of a small, but very well arranged city. A significant number of intellectuals as well as affluent and influential people from Sarajevo and other places in the country constructed summer homes in Pale. Unfortunately all of this was interrupted with the German attack on Yugoslavia in April 1941. After the conquest of Zagreb

is constructed. This new mill would produce more than of wood products. The mill itself employed more than 170 in the mill and an addition 150 in the forest. In 1952 a military maintenance facility in the suburb of Koran was constructed. The local economy received the first important building block for the metal industry. Between 1952 and 1960 and additional 300-400 employees were hired in that facility. With the development of the metal industry there are significant


Omsk Oblast

of The Siberian Kyrgyz (1854), Akmolinsk Oblast (1868), and Omsk Oblast (1917) before finally reverting to the Omsk Governorate in 1918. The authority of the oblast followed further expansion of the empire to Central Asia and included significant parts of modern day Kazakhstan. In the 19th century, Omsk, given its strong system of frontier fortresses, became notorious as a premier destination for political exiles and prisoners from the European part of the Russian Empire. Decembrists

Cossack Army was headquartered in Omsk after 1808 and contributed to the development of the city, by the beginning of the 20th century the Cossacks were a dominant component in the society of both the city of Omsk and the surrounding lands, having reached a population of 174 thousand and holding title to five million hectares of agricultural land. The 18th and 19th centuries also saw the influx of a significant number of German immigrants both from Russia's Volga Germans Volga Regions

of the century. Post-Soviet era With the dissolution of the Soviet Union the oblast became part of the newly independent Russian Federation. The independence of the Union Republic of Kazakhstan gave Omsk an international border to the south, while continued federal policy aiming to rectify the effects of Stalin Era population transfers (population transfer in the Soviet Union) a national German district (Azovsky Nemetsky National District) created an area with a significant


Ballantrae, Ontario

Management Strategy: Alternative Growth Options Discussion Paper " (March 15, 2013), 3-2, Fig. 13. A significant issue facing Ballantrae in the coming years is the federal government's proposed development of an international airport directly south-east of Whitchurch-Stouffville (the Pickering Airport lands); under the current plan, an approach for one of the three landing strips would be directly above the communities of Ballantrae and Musselman Lake, Ontario

Pickering Lands Needs Assessment Study ," July 11, 2011. The 2013 announcement was not challenged by the community's municipal leadership. Sandra Bolan, "Pickering Airport Good for Stouffville," ''Stouffville Sun-Tribune'' (June 12, 2013). Managing growth has been a key issue for this area of Whitchurch-Stouffville. In 2010 Ballantrae experienced a significant

tapq6aen3tdvjznfev22knbyqcf4n2ap3hsj3ide4boqkavckanskyx6x46uwsm4ztdjgdeibp37iop4d6zg2pwkbd ROPA06.pdf Amendment 6 to the Official Plan for the Regional Municipality of York (1998). Not unlike the late 19th century, responsible land and water stewardship, as well as the positive integration of many new residents annually into the community, define the challenges and opportunities for Whitchurch–Stouffville in the years to come. The most significant challenge facing Whitchurch–Stouffville in the coming years, however, is the federal


Northeast, Minneapolis

in Northeast Minneapolis. These newer businesses often operate side by side with older establishments from the earlier era (for example long-time Northeast institutions Nye's Polonaise Room and Kramarczuk's Sausage Company in the Old St Anthony district sit near more recent arrivals Punch Pizza, Chipotle, and Panera Bread). Other shopping districts in Northeast with significant new energy from newer restaurants, boutiques, and galleries are 13th Avenue between 2nd Street and 4th Street (the commercial

of Lourdes Catholic Church (Minneapolis, Minnesota) Our Lady of Lourdes Church built on land donated by Pierre Bottineau and founded in 1849 as the First Universalist Society. Four of Minneapolis' five historical Polish churches are in Northeast: Holy Cross, All Saints, St. Hedwig, and Sacred Heart of Jesus Polish National Catholic Church. Holy Cross has a thriving Polish ministry staffed by the Society of Christ and continues to have Mass in Polish. A significant number of Polish Americans

Plan which would merge Holy Cross, St. Hedwig and St. Clement into St. Anthony of Padua. This decision has met with significant opposition, with a number of appeals being sent to Archbishop John C. Nienstedt. One appeal, organized by the Polish Committee at Holy Cross, was signed by over 400 people. As a result, Archbishop Nienstedt issued a new decree on November 15, 2010, which extended the deadline for the merger to be enacted until July 2013, emphasized that Mass in Polish will continue


District Municipality of Muskoka

with the area was ''Mesqua Ukie'', for whom the land was probably named. The tribe lived south of the region, near present day Orillia. They used Muskoka as their hunting grounds. Another Ojibwa tribe lived in the area of Port Carling, then called ''Obajewanung''. The tribe moved to Parry Sound (Parry Sound, Ontario) around 1866. European arrival Until the late 1760s, the European presence in the region was largely limited to seasonal fur trappers, but no significant trading

, including in some cases, housing for significant staff. Initially cottagers relied on rowboats and canoes for daily transport and would sometimes row substantial distances. Eventually the era of the steam and gasoline launch came, and people relied less on muscle power and more on motors. With the boats came the boathouses, often elaborate structures in their own right, in many cases designed with the look and feel of the main "cottage". The coming of the car World War I

caused a significant dip in the tourist activity for the area and hence the economy. After the war, however, significant advances in the automobile brought demand for improved (paved) roads. These two developments, motorboats and private cars, brought greater overall development of the area; they also spread development out around the lakes. Freed from the ports of call of the steamships, people built cottages farther afield. Demand began dropping for the steamship lines. World War II caused


Shuyang County

, and west, the city plays a significant role in the transport hub. Shuyang is noted for its commercial horticulture, software, timber and textile industry. The economy grew dramatically in the last two decades. It has been ranked the top 100 most developed counties in China. Meanwhile, compared to the other cities of East China, Shuyang has a better performance in term of liveability and less pollution. Before 1949, Shuyang was a county under Haizhou (Lianyungang). From 1949 to 1996

development in the industrial sector as it attracts a plenty of investment. The economic success makes Shuyang top 100 the most developed counties in China . Manufacturing Shuyang’s largest employment sector is manufacturing. In the past, wood, printing and textile industries are the largest employer. Nevertheless, the booming industries like machinery, advanced materials, electronic systems and software are play a significant role in the economy in recent years. In 2012, the GIOV (Gross Industry

Output value) of Shuyang is 62.197 billion RMB. http: www.shuyang.gov.cn shuyangtjj InfoDetail Default.aspx?InfoID 2b407121-3252-4663-8a8f-cfc5446aaf99&CategoryNum 007 SETDZ Founded in August 2001, the Shuyang Economic and Technological Development Zone (SETDZ) is a significant portion in the industrial sector of Shuyang. In December 2013, SETDZ has been upgraded to one of China National Economic and Technological Development Zones with a planned area


Venetian Dalmatia

(1499–1540) In the period between the start of the Ottoman–Venetian War (1499–1503) and the end of Ottoman–Venetian War (1537–40), the Ottoman Empire made significant advances in the Dalmatian hinterland - it didn't occupy the Venetian cities, but it took the Kingdom of Hungary's Croatian possessions between Skradin and Karin (Donji Karin), eliminating them as a buffer zone between the Ottoman

of the local population, particularly the ''Morlacchi (Morlachs)''. Lane (1973), p. 409 The Ottomans launched a large-scale attack in 1646, and made some significant gains, including the capture of the islands of Krk, Pag (Pag (island)) and Cres, Setton (1991), p. 143 and most importantly, the supposedly impregnable fortress of Novigrad (Novigrad Castle), which surrendered on 4 July, after only two days of bombardment. ref>

, no further operations occurred in the Dalmatian theater. In October 1683


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017