Places Known For

run guest


cousin. *


. For the spendthrifts amongst you there is a cheaper choice accessed further down the Dodoma road turning up the side road by the NMB bank at the college itself, rooms about 12,000 . *

guest house in the world as far as they know and definitely the first in Africa! rates: single 25,000 a night B&B, double twin 45,000 and family room (double and bunk bed) 65,000. The rooms are large & all ensuite with pressurised water and electric showers so a good hot high flow shower, a rare luxury and the views great and it will have WiFi and a great internet cafe on site as well as their great restaurant. Safe parking too. turn off the main road at the clock tower roundabout just past the post office. *'''Wazo Lodge'''. just 2.5 KM from Town along Mkwawa road, two streets opposite Mkwawa University college, an ideal place for those looking for a peaceful place out of the busy town life, A bed and Breakfast facility at the price of 24,000 , Good Self Contained rooms with TV, dinner can only be provided if ordered before hand. a customer hot line +255755338033 is available for those that need to book their place before hitting town. *


: email address lat long directions phone tollfree fax price checkin checkout content Is located 9 kilometres from Szentendre in Pilisszentlászló village in the heart of Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a family-run guest house hostel. *

French Polynesia

and authenticity of the local experience, family hotels are the ideal type of accommodation. The welcome is warm and friendly. Family hotels are divided into four categories: Bed and Breakfast, Holiday Family Homes, Family-run guest houses, Family hotels. * Bed and Breakfast: furnished bungalows limited to four dwelling units per home and able to accommodate twelve persons, equipped with bathrooms either private or shared. * Holiday family homes: furnished bungalows limited to nine dwelling units

and able to accommodate twenty-seven persons, equipped with bathrooms and kitchenette. * Family-run guest houses: same as the above + breakfast and dinner service. * Family hotels: offers full board meal service and ''a la carte'' food menu. Learn The Gauguin Museum (Musée Gaugin), about 50km from Papeete on Tahiti Nui contains artefacts from Gauguin's time in Tahiti, including reproductions of many of his paintings. Open-air buildings and a gift shop are situated in a well-manicured lawn

Ho Chi Minh City

-run guest house with friendly staff who speak English. Air-con, hot water, cable TV with international channels, baggage storage, laundry service, big beds. with balconies. * Commons:Category:Ho Chi Minh City WikiPedia:Ho Chi Minh City Dmoz:Regional Asia Vietnam Provinces Ho Chi Minh Ho Chi Minh City

Haifa address HaNassi Avenue 77 lat long directions in Merkaz HaCarmel phone +972-4-838-7958 tollfree fax +972-4-838-7865 hours price checkin checkout content *


small or obscure, will have one. The hardest part is often finding them, as they rarely advertise or show up in online booking engines, so asking the local tourist office is often the best way. ''Kokuminshukusha'' ''Kokuminshukusha'' (国民宿舎), a mouthful that translates quite literally into "people's lodges", are '''government-run guest houses'''. They primarily provide subsidized holidays for government employees in remote scenic spots, but they are usually happy to accept paying guests. Both facilities and prices are usually more comparable to ryokan than minshuku standards; however, they are almost invariably large in size and can be rather impersonal. Popular ones need to be booked well in advance for peak seasons: sometimes almost a year in advance for New Year's and the like. ''Shukubō'' : ''See also:'' Meditation in Japan ''Shukubō'' (宿坊) are '''lodgings for pilgrims''', usually (but not always) located within a Buddhist temple or Shinto shrine. Again, the experience is broadly similar to a ryokan, but the food will be vegetarian and you may be offered a chance to participate in the temple's activities. Some Zen temples offer meditation (Meditation in Japan) lessons and courses. Shukubo can be reluctant to accept foreign guests, but one place where that will not be a problem is the major Buddhist center of Mt. Koya near Osaka. Hostels and camping Youth hostels '''Youth hostels (Hostels)''' (ユースホステル ''yūsu hosuteru'', often just called ''yūsu'' or abbreviated "YH") are another cheap option in Japan. Hostels can be found throughout the country, so they are popular among budget travellers, especially students. Hostels typically range in price from ¥2,000 to ¥4,000. It can become more expensive if you opt for dinner and breakfast and are not a Hostelling International (HI) member, in which case the price for a single night may be over ¥5000. For HI members, a simple stay can cost as little as ¥1500 depending on location and season. As elsewhere, some are concrete cell blocks run like reform schools, while others are wonderful cottages in scenic spots. There are even a number of temples that run hostels as a sideline. Do some groundwork before choosing where to go, the Japan Youth Hostel page is a good place to start. Many have curfews and dorms and some are gender segregated. Riders' houses thumb A riders' house in Ishikari (Ishikari) Ishikari (File:Rider House KAZE Ishikari Ishikari beach.jpg), Hokkaido '''Riders' houses''' (ライダーハウス ''raidā hausu'') are super-budget dorms intended primarily for bikers, both motorized and pedal-powered. While anybody is generally welcome, these are generally located deep in the countryside and access by public transport is impractical or impossible. Generally run as a hobby, riders' houses are very cheap (¥300 night is typical, free is not unheard of), but facilities are minimal; you're expected to bring your own sleeping bag and there may not even be a kitchen or a bath. Long stays are also discouraged and some ban stays of more than one night. These are particularly common in Hokkaido, but can be found here and there around the country. The definitive directory is Hatinosu (Japanese only). Camping thumb Camping in scenic Iya Valley (Image:Iya Campground Tent.JPG) Camping is (after ''nojuku'', see below) ''the'' cheapest way to get a night's sleep in Japan. There is an extensive network of camping grounds throughout the country; naturally, most are away from the big cities. Transportation to them can also be problematic, as few buses may go there. Prices may vary from nominal fees (¥500) to large bungalows that cost more than many hotel rooms (¥13,000 or more). Camping wild is illegal in most of Japan, although you can always try asking for permission, or simply pitch your tent late and leave early. Many larger city parks may in fact have large numbers of blue, plastic tarpaulin "tents" with homeless in them. Campsites in Japan are known as ''kyanpu-jo'' (キャンプ場), while sites designed for cars are known as ''ōto-kyanpu-jo''. The latter tend to be far more expensive than the former (¥5,000 or so) and should be avoided by those setting out on foot unless they also have lower-key accommodations available. Campsites are often located near ''onsen'', which can be quite convenient. The '''National Camping Association of Japan''' helps maintain '''''', a Japanese-only database of nearly all campsites in Japan. The '''JNTO''' website has a fairly extensive list (in PDF format) of camp grounds in English, and local tourist offices are often well informed. ''Nojuku'' :''See also Urban camping in Japan article.'' For the real budget traveller wanting to get by on the cheap in Japan is the option of ''nojuku'' (野宿). This is Japanese for "'''sleeping outside'''", and although it may seem quite strange to Westerners, a lot of young Japanese do this when they travel. Thanks to a low crime rate and relatively stable climate, ''nojuku'' is a genuinely viable option if you're travelling in a group or feel confident doing it on your own. Common ''nojuku'' places include train stations, ''michi no eki'' (road service stations), or basically anywhere that has some kind of shelter and public toilets nearby. Those worrying about shower facilities will be delighted to know that Japan is blessed with cheap public facilities pretty much everywhere: notably ''onsen'' or hot springs. Even if you cannot find an onsen, ''sento'' (public bath), or sauna is also an option. Bear in mind that nojuku is really viable only in the summer months, although in the northern island of Hokkaido, even in summer the temperature may dip during the night. On the other hand, there's much more scope for nojuku on Okinawa (although public facilities on the smaller islands are lacking). Nojuku is not really recommended for first-time travellers to Japan, but for those with some experience, it can be a great way to get into the 'onsen' culture, meet other fellow ''nojuku'' travellers, and most of all travel very cheaply when coupled with hitchhiking (Hitchhiking in Japan). Long-term Gaijin houses If you're staying for a longer period, say a month and longer, you might be able to drastically reduce your living costs by staying in a "gaijin house". These establishments cater specifically towards foreigners and offer at least minimally furnished and usually shared apartments at reasonable prices, and without the hefty deposits and commissions of apartments (often up to 8 months rent) paid before moving in. It will almost certainly be cheaper than staying in a hotel for a month, and for those coming to Japan for the first time they are also great for networking and getting to know a few locals. The downside is that facilities are often shared and the transient population can mean poor maintenance and dodgy neighbors. Gaijin houses are concentrated in Tokyo, but any other big city will have a few. They can be anything from ugly cramped apartment complexes with new tenants every week, to nice family run businesses in private houses, so try to get a look at the place before you decide to move in. Two of the biggest letting agencies for gaijin houses in Tokyo are Sakura House and Oak House, while Gaijin House Japan has listings and classified ads covering the entire country. Apartments Traditionally, renting an apartment in Japan is a ridiculously complex and expensive process, involving getting a Japanese resident to act as your guarantor (literally—trash up the place and run away, and they will get stuck with the bill) and paying half a year's rent or more in advance. It is thus essentially impossible for anyone who is not both familiar with the culture and there to live and work for a few years at least. In recent years, though, '''weekly mansions''' (short-term apartments) have become popular for residents (typically businessmen on long-term assignment or young singles) and are accessible even to visitors. Most are 1 or 2 person rooms, although larger ones for 3 or 4 are sometimes available. Apartment fees are around ¥5000 for a single, around ¥6000-7000 for a two person room per day. Most of these apartment rental agencies will offer all apartments with shower, toilet and bath. They usually have air conditioning, microwave and cooking amenities. Reservations can be made on an English language website, and they have various promotional offers on their website. WMT has more than 50 apartment buildings in Tokyo and Yokohama, together with Osaka. Sometimes a deposit is required for some of the apartments. This deposit can usually be waived if you have stayed with them a few times without any trouble. The apartments are always kept clean and often have much more space and flexibility than a hotel and are priced in the Youth hostel range. Last resorts Even in Tokyo, the trains completely stop running around 01:00, so if you are out after then and want to avoid paying for a cab or even a capsule hotel, there are a few options for killing the hours until the first morning train. If you need to find one of these options fast, station attendants will typically be able to point you in the right direction. Conveniently, many of these facilities are usually clustered around train stations, and they are used to accepting people who have missed the last train home. Internet and manga cafés In bigger cities, especially around the major stations you can find Internet or Manga cafés. Membership costs around ¥300 one time. Here you can also watch TV, play video games, read comics and enjoy the free drink bar. Prices vary but usually are around ¥400 hour. They often have a special night rate for the period when no trains are running (from around midnight until 05:00 for ¥1,500). Customers are typically given the choice between a computer-equipped or TV-equipped cubicle, while others offer amenities such as a massage chair, a mat to sleep on or even a shower. It is not an especially comfortable option, but it is perfect for checking the next day's train schedule, downloading pictures from your digital camera, writing home, and resting a bit. Often, you may be surrounded by snoring locals who have missed the last train home. Karaoke bar This is only an emergency option if you cannot find anything else and you are freezing outside. Karaoke bars offer entertainment rooms until 05:00 ("free time") for ¥1,500-2,500. Works only with at least 3 people. Public baths Some onsen or sento stay open all night. These are usually known as "super" sentos. Usually there is a 'relaxing area' with tatami mats, TV, vending machines, etc. Though occasionally they are multi story bath and play houses. Often, for a reasonable fee (on top of the bathing cost), you will be allowed to crash the night on the tatami or in a room with large reclining chairs. Outside In the warmer months, people sleeping or napping on streetsides outside the bigger train stations is a common sight. Many of them just missed their last trains and prefer spending three or four hours waiting for the first train on the asphalt rather than three or four thousand yen for a short-term stay in a hotel or public bath. While this is definitely the least comfortable way to sleep through the night, it is especially popular with college students (who have no money), and absolutely tolerated by police and station staff; even drunkards sleeping next to their own puke will not be disturbed in their booze-induced sleep. On trains Similarly, no need to sweat if you fall asleep on a local train after a long party night. Compared to sleeping outside, the train sleep is more of a gaijin thing. There are no time limits on how long you can stay on a train as long as you have a ticket; many long-term residents have had the pleasure of going back and forth on the same train for two or three cycles before waking up and getting off at the initial destination with the ticket bought three hours ago. If the train is not likely to get crowded, you may even consider stretching out on the bench: remember to take off your shoes though. Of course, you have to obey the orders of the train staff, who tend to gently wake up people at the terminus, especially if the train is not going back. Sometimes, that station turns out to be two hours away from the city. Learn thumb University of Tokyo, Tokyo Bunkyo Tokyo (Image:JP-13 Bunkyo-ward Tokyo-Univ Yasuda auditorium.jpg) Many youth exchange programs bring foreign teenagers to Japan, and the country also has a number of very active university exchange programs. In order to obtain a student visa, you will be required to either have one million yen, or the equivalent in financial aid awards, to cover your living expenses. With a student visa, you may obtain an additional permission form from Immigration to legally work up to 20 hours per week. Contact your local Japanese embassy or home university's exchange program department for information on how to proceed. The cheapest way to stay in Japan for a longer period of time is to study at a local school or university with a generous ''Monbusho'' (Ministry of Education) grant to pay for it all. A number of Japanese universities offer courses taught in English; some foreign universities also operate independent programs in Japan, the largest being Temple University's multi-faculty campus in Tokyo. Japan's top universities are also very well regarded worldwide, though the downside is that degree programmes are almost always conducted exclusively in Japanese. Nevertheless, many of them have exchange agreements with other foreign universities, and you can apply to go on exchange for a semester or a year. Japan's most prestigious university is the '''University of Tokyo''', which together with the University of Hong Kong is considered to be one of the two top ranked universities in Asia. Other universities of good standing internationally include '''Waseda University''' and '''Keio University''' in Tokyo, as well as '''Kyoto University''' in Kyoto. Martial Arts * '''Judo''' (柔道 ''jūdō'') focuses on grappling and throws, and was the first martial art to become a modern Olympic sport. There are many schools all over the country in which you can study it. * '''''Karate''''' (空手, literally "empty hand") is a striking martial art — using punches, kicks, and open-hand techniques — that is popular all over the world, and also has an influence on Western pop culture as can be seen in the Hollywood movie ''The Karate Kid'' (1984). There are schools all over the country in which you can study various styles. * '''Kendo''' (剣道 ''kendō'') is competitive swordfighting using bamboo or wooden swords, akin to fencing. While judo and karate are better known in much of the Western world, in Japan itself, kendo remains an integral part of modern Japanese culture, and is taught to students in Japanese schools. Other Japanese martial arts include '''''aikidō''''', another grappling form, and '''''kyūdō''''', Japanese archery. Japanese arts and crafts Traditional Japanese arts and crafts include '''tea ceremony''' (茶道 ''sadō'' or ''chadō''), '''flower arrangement''' (生け花 ''ikebana''), and '''calligraphy''' (書道 ''shodō''). Work The Tokyo region generally offers the widest array of jobs for foreigners, including positions for lawyers, accountants, engineers and other professionals. To work in Japan, a foreigner who is not already a permanent resident must receive a job offer from a guarantor in Japan, and then apply for a working visa at an immigration office (if already in Japan) or an embassy or consulate (if abroad). It is illegal for foreigners to work in Japan on a tourist visa. Working visas are valid for a period of one to three years, and may be used to secure employment at any employer within the scope of activities designated on the visa (including employers other than the guarantor). Alternatively, if you have substantial funds, you may apply for an '''investor visa'''. This requires you to either invest a large sum of money in a local business, or start your own business in Japan by contributing a large amount of start-up capital and allows you to work for that particular company in a management capacity. Expect strict penalties if you overstay on any visa. Spouses of Japanese nationals can obtain spouse visas, which carry no restrictions on employment. The '''Working Holiday''' program is open to young citizens (between 18 and 30) from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Korea, France, Germany, Ireland and the UK. Those eligible may apply for working holiday visas without having a prior job offer. Foreigners who have lived in Japan for 10 years continuously are eligible to apply for '''permanent residency'''. You need to prove that you are financially independent and have no criminal record. If granted, then you can live and work in Japan indefinitely. A popular form of employment among foreigners from English speaking countries is teaching English, especially in after-hours English conversation schools known as ''eikaiwa'' (英会話). Pay is fairly good for young adults, but rather poor compared to a qualified educator already at work in most Western countries. Working conditions can also be quite strict compared to Western standards, and some companies have very bad reputations. An undergraduate degree or ESL accreditation is essential for most desirable positions. Interviews for English schools belonging to one of the larger chains would usually be held in the applicant's home country. Learning English is no longer quite as fashionable as it once was and the boom years are long since over. North American accents tend to be preferred. Recently there has been greater emphasis on children's education. Besides English, other foreign languages that are popular include Portuguese, French, Korean, Mandarin and Cantonese. The '''JET Programme''' (Japan Exchange and Teaching) offers young university graduates a chance to teach in Japan. The program is run by the Japanese government but your employer would typically be a local Board of Education who assigns you to one or more public schools, often deep in the countryside. No Japanese skills or formal teaching qualifications are required and your airfare is provided. Pay is slightly better than the language schools and, unlike at such a school, if you have a serious problem with your employer you can appeal to the JET program people for help. The JET program also has a small number of positions for international relations or sports coordinators, although these require some Japanese ability. Foreigners with postgraduate education may be able to find jobs teaching English (or even other subjects) at Japanese universities, which offer better pay and working conditions than the eikaiwa industry. Quite a few young women choose to work in the '''hostess''' industry, where they entertain Japanese men over drinks in tiny bars known as ''sunakku'' (スナック) and are paid for their time. While pay can be good, visas for this line of work are difficult if not impossible to obtain and most work illegally. The nature of the work also carries its own risks, notably poor career prospects, alcoholism, smoking, potential problems from clients such as groping and lewd questions, and even harassment or worse, exemplified by the abduction and murder of hostess Lucie Blackman in 2000. Stay healthy Japan is a country '''obsessed with cleanliness''' and health hazards are few and far between. Tap water is potable everywhere and food hygiene standards are very high. There are no communicable diseases of significance, as despite the name, '''Japanese encephalitis''' has been almost eradicated. Some Japanese public toilets do not have toilet paper, although there are often vending machines nearby that sell some at token prices. Do as the Japanese do and use the tissue packets handed out free by advertisers at major train stations. Though it may be "common sense" for people who have lived in urban areas, many newcomers to Tokyo or Osaka are unfamiliar with life in an extremely congested metropolis, where almost everything they touch has been touched by hundreds of other people that same day. When newcomers to large Japanese cities take no precautions, they may be more susceptible to ordinary illnesses like the common cold. As in any other urban area, when in a large Japanese city like Tokyo or Osaka, wash your hands with soap and water as often as possible, especially after travelling on public transportation and before meals. Be sure to bring a small umbrella for the frequent rainy days. Don't rely too much on the weather forecasts, especially from a day or two ago. Then again, if you forget, you can always go into the nearest convenience store and pick one up for ¥500. Japan has its share of dirty areas. In cities, because of the sheer magnitude of traffic, the streets and curbs are just as dirty as anywhere. The obsession with cleanliness and removing shoes before entering someone's home makes sense because of the conditions of the outside world. If you do become ill with a cold or other sickness, purchase a mouth covering, cloth surgical mask. You will find that people frequently wear these out on trains and on the job. This filters your sneezing and coughing so you do not transmit to others. '''Passive smoking''' is a major health hazard in nearly all Japanese restaurants and public areas; this includes Multi-national food chains as well as local eateries. Non-smoking areas are not often provided and are sometimes substandard if they are. Healthcare Medical facilities in Japan are on par with the West, and the better known hospitals are usually equipped with the most cutting edge medical technology. For Japanese citizens and residents, the cost of medical treatment is made affordable by the government's national health insurance system. However, for those not covered by it, the cost of medical treatment is expensive. While foreigners in Japan for an extended period (eg. those on Work or Student visas) are allowed access to the national health insurance system, it is not available to tourists on short visits, so be sure to have your travel insurance in order before your trip. Most Japanese doctors and nurses are unable to communicate in English. The web-site of the US embassy maintains a list of hospitals and clinics which have English-speaking staff available. Stay safe Japan is one of the safest countries in the world, with crime rates significantly lower than that of Western countries. Crimes and scams zh:日本 Commons:Category:Japan Wikipedia:Japan Dmoz:Regional Asia Japan

Copyright (C) 2015-2017
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017