Places Known For

residents


Majdal Shams

-ar مجدل شمس. ; ) is a Druze town in the southern foothills of Mt. Hermon, north of the Golan Heights. The majority of residents are of Syrian-Druze origin. Since the June 1967 Six-Day War, the village has been controlled by Israel,

By the late 19th century, Majdal Shams was an important regional center and home of the local Ottoman administrator (Mudir). G. Schumacher, ''The Jaulan: Surveyed for the German Society for the Exploration of the Holy Land'' (London: Richard Bentley and Son, 1888): 10 In times of strife, residents of the surrounding villages travelled to Majdal Shams for safety because of the village's elevation and proximity to a major water source at Birkat Ram. During the winter

of 1895, for example, Druze residents of neighboring communities sheltered in Majdal Shams during a local conflict between irregular Druze and Circassian militias. Drummond Hay, “Despatch No. 76 from Mr. Drummond Hay, Consul-General, Beyrout, to SirPhilip Currie, British Ambassador, Constantinople, 6 December 1895, regarding the fears of the Druzes of Mount Hermon of an attack by the Circassians and Kurds,” in Bejtullah Destani ed., Minorities in the Middle East, Druze Communities


Jadavpur

has a few air-conditioned restaurants and pastry outlets that cater to the local residents as well as to the students of Jadavpur University. Jadavpur is also green by Kolkata's standards, and boasts quite a few playgrounds. About five minutes walk from the Jadavpur market is Pal Bazaar, another market on the north-east side of Jadavpur. Recently, South City mall, said to be the biggest shopping parlor of its type in eastern India, has been opened at Prince Anwar Shah Road. It has

definitely added some more value to the residents of this region. Jadavpur is generally considered to be a quite desirable place to live in. However, two major problems are high traffic and congestion. Narrow, pre-urban roads lead to traffic congestion, compounded by cycle rickshaws, auto rickshaws and a high population cause some of the worst traffic snarls in South Kolkata. Previously the marshy surrounds and uncovered drains gave Jadavpur a high mosquito population, a few times more than

in other parts of South Kolkata; however malaria is pretty low or non-existent now. There is an apartment (single building) in Jadavpur, where the Sulekha Ink Factory used to stand. The name is Devaloke Heights. It is quite a community centre for the residents, consisting of a badminton court, table tennis room, gym, and community hall. There is also a games room for the youngsters. The flats start from the second floor-2A, 2B, 2C, 2D- and go on till the 14th floor. The thirteenth


Downtown Eastside

of the many single-room occupancy hotels in the area. In the fall of 2006, residents were issued eviction notices. "Council defers vote on redevelopment," ''Metro News'', 20 October 2006. Demographics thumb left A Chinese temple in the heart of East Hastings shows the diversity of the neighbourhood. The building was originally a Salvation Army (File:Downtown Eastside temple.jpeg) Temple. The Downtown Eastside

, as defined by the City of Vancouver, was home to 16,590 people in 2001. According to the city, 10% of the residents self-identified as Aboriginal in 2001, which comprised approximately 10% of the total Aboriginal population in the city. The Globe and Mail indicated a higher number, having reported that 14% of the residents are of Aboriginal descent, and 9% are status Indians (Indian Act). In the same year, 43% of the population were immigrants, with 23

% of those being from China, 5% from Vietnam, 2% from Hong Kong and 14% from all other countries. One percent of residents were on visas or had refugee status. The average household size is 1.3 residents; 82% of the population lived alone. Children and teenagers make up 7% of the population, compared to 25% for Canada overall. The average income for adults living alone is $6,282 per year, and $14,024 after government subsidies. In comparison, the average for Canada is less than $21,000


Streetsville, Ontario

in Streetsville, was founded in 1821 thumb right Franklin House, built in the 1850s (File:Franklin House, Mississauga - IDM 14102.jpg) thumb right Credit Valley Railway (File:Credit Valley Railway Station.jpg) station. A new station was built in 1914, and the original building was moved to a different location in Streetsville.

, households also increased in number from 12,178 to 13,722. The majority of Streetsville residences own their own homes (85%) with more than 51,000 residents holding a university or college degree. Also the majority of residences work within grey or white collar jobs versus only 27% of the population consisting of labour workers . Furthermore, the average household income of Streetsville residents amounts to $124,255 with only a 5.6% unemployment rate. In relation to religion, 41.4

% of residents are Roman Catholics while religious populations such as Muslims (6.9%) and Anglicans (6.3%) are continuing to grow. Also nearly 48% of Streetsville residents are identified as visible minorities including predominantly East Indians, South Asians and Chinese. Subsequently, 53% of the population's main language is English while the region boasts many non-official languages such as Chinese, Arabic, and Punjabi. With homes averaging around 3.4 bedrooms, the average family consists of three people


Efrat

; Efrat had 9,238 residents

verse, and therefore the town's name, Efrata's residents and municipality have maintained for many years that the reference isn't the location's name, but rather means "towards Efrat". This has recently changed, with the residents and municipality convincing the ministry of the interior of the correct name. The '-a' ending is common in Hebrew and may indicate female grammatical gender or mean 'her' or less frequent 'towards'. On the other hand, there are very clear biblical

on halachic basis. Demography Efrat's population are mainly religious Zionist (Religious Zionism), with a small number of ultra-orthodox (haredi) and of non-observant residents. There are more than twenty Orthodox synagogues, mainly


Hudson, Quebec

'''Hudson''', Quebec, Canada, is an off-island suburb (Greater Montreal) of Montreal, with a population of 5,135 (2006 Census (Canada 2011 Census)). It is located on the south-west bank of the lower Ottawa River, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges Regional County Municipality. Situated about west of downtown Montreal, many residents commute to work on the Island of Montreal. Location and population Hudson is a municipality within

been dubbed "the leafy Anglo-enclave", as, unlike the surrounding mainly French-speaking municipalities, Hudson has a majority English-speaking population (65% according to 2001 Census), although many residents speak both languages. Hudson is near the edge of suburban Montreal to the east, but also surrounded by substantial farming and forest areas to the west. Large lot sizes, enforced by town by-laws, contribute to the relatively large number of trees in the residential areas. Zoning

, infrastructure and building development are occasionally controversial subjects, such as when town residents voted against permitting Gheorghe Zamfir to build a concert hall near the edge of town in the 1980s. In 2001, the town won a victory in Canada's Supreme Court, upholding its by-law 207, which bans pesticide use on public and private property for cosmetic (purely aesthetic) purposes. Although much larger in population, Hudson has been compared to culturally and demographically


Condesa

; While the area has been residential for over 100 years, its “Bohemian” character has only been in existence since late 1980s. While longtime residents complain about noise, crime and other disturbances, the overall reputation of the area continues to grow and attract more

residents, leading to higher rents. Most of these residents are young and affluent, with only two of the areas 13 K-8 schools being public. ref

name "eduportal" Many residents, especially the newer ones, call themselves “condechis" Architecture and landmarks Condesa has a number of examples of older Art Deco


Virginia-Highland

Joe Drolet and other residents formed a group to oppose the highway in Fall 1971, they chose the name "Virginia-Highland Civic Association". "The Interstate that Almost Was", MPLA News, Fall 2003 With the victory of the anti-highway forces, the Virginia-Highland name stuck and started to appear in the press in reference to the entire neighborhood between Amsterdam, Ponce

most intown (Intown Atlanta) Atlanta neighborhoods, suffered decline starting in the 1960s as residents moved to (white flight) the suburbs. Less-affluent residents moved in, some single-family houses were turned into apartments, and crime increased. Some businesses closed and were replaced by lower-rent tenants such as pawn shops. Others, such as Moe’s and Joe’s (which opened in 1947) and Atkins Park Restaurant, stayed open. Many buildings deteriorated. Threat and defeat

interstate_that_almost_was.pdf "The Interstate That Almost Was", Morningside Lenox Park Association Newsletter, Fall 2003 and registered the association with the Georgia Secretary of State on August 22, 1972. "Virginia Highland: A Rich History" (video), Karri Hobson-Pape and Lola Carlisle They along with residents of Stone Mountain (Stone Mountain, Georgia), Inman Park, and Morningside finally defeated


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017