Places Known For

quot history


Herm

in the north of the island. Standing stones can be seen on the grass, while the island of Sark lies in the background. Ancient history to Middle Ages Herm was first found in the Mesolithic period (between 10,000 and 8,000 B.C), when hunters were in search of food. ref>

; In the Neolithic and Bronze ages, settlers arrived; the remains of chamber tombs have been found on the island, and may be seen today; specifically on the Common, and the Petit and Grand Monceau; it has been suggested that the northern end of the island, i.e. the Common, was set apart for burials. After a three-year project by the University of Durham, supported by specialists from the University of Cambridge

inhabitants in historic times are from the 6th century, when the island became a centre of monastic activity (Monasticism); the followers of Saint Tugual (also called Tudwal) arrived, establishing Saint Tugual's Chapel. In 709, a storm washed away the strip of land which connected the island with Jethou.


Jimma

as a domestic flight to Jimma. By the end of 1946, four Skytrains (Douglas C-47 Skytrain) were incorporated into the fleet, and three more in 1947 to operate new international routes. Bombay, Nairobi and Port Sudan were added to the route network as international scheduled services in the late 1940s. Likewise, the company started operating charter flights to Jeddah

during the Hajj season. '''Oromia''' (sometimes spelled '''Oromiya''' and spelled '''Oromiyaa''' in the Oromo language) is one of the nine ethnic divisions (Regions of Ethiopia) (''kililoch'') of Ethiopia. Covering 353,632 square kilometers stretching from the western border in an arc to the southwestern corner of the country, the 2007 census reported its population is at over twenty-seven million, making it the largest state in terms of both


Bintan Island

timeline_result&ct title&resnum 11&ved 0CC4Q5wIwCg title Time Line accessdate 2010-06-14 publisher Time Line In the 12th century, the Bintan island in the Strait of Malacca was known as the "Pirate Island" since

Island ). Bintan came under the control of the Malacca kingdom from the 13th century. Later, the Sultan of Johor ruled from here and his reign lasted till the 18th century. Riau Islands were central to the greater Malay kingdoms (Malays (ethnic group)) or Sultanates, known as the 'Malay World', which had its control from eastern Sumatra to Borneo. For centuries, Riau was the home of Malays (ethnic group) Malay

and Orang Laut people. They had settled in Bintan. These two communities were the backbone of most Malay kingdoms from the time of Srivijaya to the Sultanate of Johor. They had full control of trade routes going through the straits. Migrants from China and Indo-China, though came here later, settled in large area of Asia. After the fall of Melaka in 1511, Riau islands became the centre


St. Peters, Missouri

groups European s, the area that would become St. Peters was inhabited by Mississippian (Mississippian culture) mound builders (mound builder (people)). The remains of a village were uncovered during the construction of I-70 in 1954 and a street near the site was later named Mound Drive after the mounds built by the villagers. The '''Golden Triangle''' is a region of Saint Charles County, Missouri, with Route 94 (Missouri Route 94) forming the east side; Interstate 70 (Interstate 70 (Missouri)) and Missouri Highway 370 (Missouri Highway 370 ) the north; and Interstate 64 (Interstate 64 (Missouri)) to the west. The region has been the site of rapid growth since the 1980s. Cities found within the Golden Triangle include St. Charles (St. Charles, Missouri), St. Peters (St. Peters, Missouri), O'Fallon (O'Fallon, Missouri), Lake St. Louis (Lake St. Louis, Missouri), Dardenne Prairie (Dardenne Prairie, Missouri), Cottleville (Cottleville, Missouri), and Weldon Spring (Weldon Spring, Missouri).


Veliky Ustyug

connecting Novgorod with the White Sea. Clashes between Novgorod and Ustyug became regular, especially throughout the whole 14th century. In 1328, Ustyug was annexed by the Grand Duchy of Moscow. The town was not immediately affected by the Mongol invasion of Rus

' in the 13th century; however, its rapid growth in the second half of the century was due to influx of refugees from Central Russia. In the 15th century, Veliky Ustyug became notable for the war between Vasily II of Moscow and his cousin Dmitry Shemyaka, which left Northern Russia deserted. Shemyaka took Veliky Ustyug in 1450, drowned in the Sukhona those citizens who refused to accept him as a prince, and made the town his residence for two years, until he

was driven off by the forces of Vasily. In the 15th century, the town had a great military importance and became the base for the operations against the Finno-Ugric peoples. In 1613, during the Time of Troubles, Veliky Ustyug was besieged by Polish troops but never taken. Located at the junction of important trade routes, the town turned into a significant commercial and industrial center in the 16th and 17th


Tychy

in 1467. Umtychy.pl, "History of Tychy", Retrieved 2006-07-02 In 1629 the first trace of serious economic activity was recorded in the shape of the Książęcy Brewery, which is now one of the largest breweries in Poland. Umtychy.pl, "Monuments", Retrieved 2006-07-02 From 1526 onwards

a population of 11,000 at its highest point during this time. 1939 to 1945: invasion and occupation Along with the rest of industrial Upper Silesia Tychy was occupied by Nazi forces after the invasion of Poland and absorbed into the Third Reich, ^ Cienciala, Anna M. (2004). "The Coming of the War and Eastern Europe in World War II" University of Kansas. Retrieved

during the invasion, thanks largely to the fact that most of the nearby fighting took place in the Mikołów-Wyry area. Umtychy.pl, "History of Tychy", Retrieved 2006-07-03 New Tychy The "New City" was designated by the Polish government in 1950 and deliberately located near to Katowice with the intention that it would not be a self-sustaining city. Tychy is the largest of the so-called


Vorkuta


Riverview, New Brunswick

Riverview Town Council leader_title MP's leader_name Robert Goguen & Rob Moore leader_title4 MLA's leader_name4 Ralph Bruce Fitch established_title Founded established_date 1733 established_title2 Incorporated established_date2 July 9, 1973 established_title3

in New Brunswick, having a larger population than the cities of Edmundston, Bathurst (Bathurst, New Brunswick), Campbellton (Campbellton, New Brunswick), and Miramichi (Miramichi, New Brunswick), despite its designation of "town". History Riverview first became a permanent settlement when settlers from Yorkshire, England, settled there in 1733. The Town of Riverview

was formed on July 9, 1973 with the amalgamation of the three villages of Bridgedale, Gunningsville and Riverview Heights. Harold Findlay became the first Mayor and seven Councillors were elected at-large to serve a population of 14,177. Since that time, Riverview has grown to include almost 19,130 residents represented by four ward Councillors and three Councillors at Large.


Netanya

was drawn up at a meeting of the Bnei Binyamin association in Zikhron Ya'akov. The location was decided upon near the ancient site of Poleg and it was decided to name it in honor of Nathan (Hebrew: ''Natan'') Straus (1848–1931),

: www.straushistoricalsociety.org uploads 1256842256nwsltr809.pdf title . publisher straushistoricalsociety.org date accessdate February 7, 2013 of Umm Khaled lands. There remains today, however, considerable controversy among

as slowly the vision of the settlement became reality. Development was set back, however when the 1929 Palestine riots and massacre caused the settlement to be abandoned for a couple of weeks. By September, however, development was back on track with the cornerstones for the first 10 houses being laid on Sukkot. thumb right Netanya, early 1930s (File:Nathanya.jpg) In the following years, Netanya continued to grow, with the first kindergarten


Winter Haven, Florida

, Col. Henry Haines (Henry Haines) working for Henry Plant and the Plant System, successfully built the first railroad across Polk County, passing just north of Winter Haven. Lake Haines, in Winter Haven, was named after Col. Haines. The arrival of the railroad created the first real growth in area. The area was platted in 1884 and would first be known as Harris Corners.

history title History-Winter Haven CoC accessdate 2010-09-20 publisher Winter Haven Chamber of Commerce This name was in reference to F.A.K. Harris, who opened the first mercantile store in the area around this time. The name Winter Haven was later suggested, in reference to the area's pleasant climate. Early 20th Century By the end of the century

in Winter Haven. They are Interlaken, Pope Avenue (Pope Avenue Historic District), Winter Haven Heights (Winter Haven Heights Historic Residential District), and the downtown area (Downtown Winter Haven Historic District). Growth and Development In 1930, George W. Jenkins opened the first Publix supermarket in Winter Haven.


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017