"VK2fEzruIn0C 2004 pp.240-244" Lester L. Grabbe, "A history of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period", vol.1 (T&T Clark International, 2004), pp.240-244
lester+grabbe+1995&source bl&ots Ta6QF1gjV4&sig r1MFLnbJslIMb-atJfIwh2gq-l4&hl en&ei kdUETL68HsG8cY67lfQE&sa X&oi book_result&ct result&resnum 4&ved 0CCMQ6AEwAw#v onepage&q&f false Lester L. Grabbe, "A history of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period", Volume 1, p.238-9 One of the more important cultural shift in the Persian period was the rise of Aramaic as the predominant language of Yehud and the Jewish
" (Brill, 2001) *Berquist, Jon L., "Approaching Yehud: new approaches to the study of the Persian period" (Society of Biblical Literature, 2007) * http
, for the rich far-eastern territory of present-day Iran. The struggle with Iran also had a religious aspect because the Uzbeks were Sunni Muslims, and Iran was Shia. Lubin, Nancy. "Uzbek period". In Curtis. thumb upright A lithography lithograph (File:Mirza Abdulhuq and Rustom Beg in 1841.jpg) of two notable Uzbeks from Afghanistan in 1841. By 1510 the Uzbeks had completed their conquest of Central Asia, including the territory
against Iran, which was led by the Safavid Dynasty, for the rich far-eastern territory of present-day Iran. The struggle with Iran also had a religious aspect because the Uzbeks were Sunni Muslims, and Iran was Shia. Lubin, Nancy. "Uzbek period". In Curtis. *'''Mikhail Frunze''', revolutionary, a prominent Civil War commander *'''Konstantin Kaufmann''', conqueror of the Khanate of Khiva, the first governor of Russian Turkestan
." C. Kopp, “Beiträge zur Geschichte Nazareths.” ''Journal of the Palestine Oriental Society'', vol. 18 (1938), p. 206, n.1. Princeton University archaeologist Jack Finegan describes additional archaeological evidence related to settlement in the Nazareth basin during the Bronze (Bronze Age) and Iron Ages, and states that "Nazareth was a strongly Jewish settlement in the Roman (Roman Empire) period.". ''The Archaeology of the New
; (University, of Michigan Press, 1931). Additional scholarly work included editing volume XIV of R.F. Harper's "Assyrian and Babylonian Letters" (1912), translating "Some Koujunjik Letters and Related Texts" (1912), "Business Documents of the Hammurabi Period" (1916), and "The Royal Correspondence of the Assyrian Empire" (four vol. 1930). *Jerusalem Trail - 40 km trail, connects the Israel National Trail with Jerusalem and the area of the Old City. *Jesus Trail - a 65 km hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces routes Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The trail begins in Nazareth, and passes through Sepphoris, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, the Mount of Beatitudes, Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. *Golan Trail - a 125 km route from the slopes of Mt. Hermon to the southern Golan Heights. It passes many towns and settlements including Majdal Shams, Nimrod (Nimrod, Golan Heights), Masade, Buq'ata, Odem, Merom Golan, and Ein Zivan.
Romanesque (Romanesque architecture) churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period", says the UNESCO report. Trogir is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic (Gothic architecture) complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. Trogir's medieval core, surrounded by walls, comprises a venetian well-preserved castle and tower (Kamerlengo Castle) and a series of dwellings and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir's grandest building is the church of St. Lawrence, whose main west portal is a masterpiece by Radovan (Radovan (master)), and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in Croatia. The British Encyclopedia 1911 British Encyclopedia, p.774 states that: "... from Italy (and Venice) came the Romanesque. The belfry of S. Maria, at Zara, erected in 1105, is first in a long list of Romanesque buildings. At Arbe there is a beautiful Romanesque campanile which also belongs to the 12th century; but the finest example in this style is the cathedral of Trau. The 14th century Dominican and Franciscan convents in Ragusa are also noteworthy. Romanesque lingered on in Dalmatia until it was displaced by Venetian Gothic in the early years of the 15th century. The influence of Venice was then at its height. Even in the relatively hostile Republic of Ragusa the Romanesque of the custom-house and Rectors' palace is combined with Venetian Gothic, while the graceful balconies and ogee windows of the Prijeki closely follow their Venetian models. In 1441 Giorgio Orsini of Zara, summoned from Venice to design the cathedral of Sebenico, brought with him the influence of the Italian Renaissance. The new forms which he introduced were eagerly imitated and developed by other architects, until the period of decadence - which virtually concludes the history of Dalmatian art - set in during the latter half of the 17th century. Special mention must be made of the carved woodwork, embroideries and plate preserved in many churches. The silver statuette and the reliquary of St. Biagio at Ragusa, and the silver ark of St. Simeon at Zara, are fine specimens of Italian jewelers' work, ranging in date from the 11th or 12th to the 17th century ...". In the 19th century the cultural influence from Venice & the Italian peninsula (Italy) originated the editing in Zara of the first Dalmatian newspaper, in Italian (Italian language) and Croatian (Croatian language): ''Il Regio Dalmata – Kraglski Dalmatin'', founded and published by the Italian Bartolomeo Benincasa in 1806 AD. Furthermore, this ''Kraglski Dalmatin'' was stamped in the typography of Antonio Luigi Battara and was the first fully done in Croatian language. Governors The ''Provveditore generale'' (Governor-general) was the official name of Venetian state officials supervising Dalmatia. Category:History of Dalmatia Category:Venetian period in the history of Croatia Category:16th century in Croatia Category:17th century in Croatia Category:18th century in Croatia Category:History of Italy
the local tribes. The town was officially founded on March 17, 1689 by Don Gil Cabrera Dávalos and Leonardo Correa de Betancourt. According to official sources, San Gil played an important role during the Colombian independence (Colombian Declaration of Independence) period. "Comuneros" rebels came from nearby regions, united, traveled to the capital, Bogota, and fought for the nation's independence, a process which occurred during the early 1820s.
"Orme6" Celtic Christianity was introduced to Cornwall in the year 520 by Saint Petroc, a Brython from the kingdom of Glywysing, and other missionaries from Wales, as well as by Gaelic (Gaels) monks and holy women from Ireland; this "formative period" has left a legacy of granite high cross monuments throughout Cornwall. Dedications to many
need to take a three-month training course. The Japanese authorities tried to introduce Japanese traditions and customs to Hong Kong students through the Japanese lesson at school. Famous historical stories such as Mori Motonari's (毛利元就) “''Sanbon no ya'' (Three Arrows)” and Xufu’s (徐福) voyage to Japan were introduced in Japanese language textbook. Higuchi, Kenichiro; Kwong, Yan Kit. 2009 ."Inflow of Japanese language into Hong Kong during the Japanese occupation period", Journal of Sugiyama Jogakuen University. Humanities. p 21,22 The primary aims of this Japanisation of the education system were mainly to facilitate the Japanese control over the local people and to establish the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere. Therefore, what it was trying to create was a rush to learn Japanese. On the other hand, by 1943, only one formal language school, the Bougok School (寳覺學校), had provided Cantonese language course to Japanese people in Hong Kong. According to the instructor of Bougok School, “teaching Cantonese is difficult because there is no system and set pattern in Cantonese grammar; and you have to change the pronunciation as the occasion demands” and “it would be easier for a Cantonese people to learn Japanese than a Japanese people to learn Cantonese.” Higuchi, Kenichiro; Kwong, Yan Kit. 2009 ."Inflow of Japanese language into Hong Kong during the Japanese occupation period", Journal of Sugiyama Jogakuen University. Humanities. p 23 Propaganda The Japanese promoted a bilingual system of English with Japanese as a communication link between the locals and the occupying forces. English shop signs and advertisements were taken away, and in April 1942, streets and buildings in Central were renamed in Japanese. For example, Queen's Road Central (Queen's Road, Hong Kong) became Meiji (Meiji period)-dori and Des Voeux Road became Shōwa (Shōwa period)-dori. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong (1941–1945), he lost his boat and the club's activities was interrupted. He rented boats instead to take the members to the bay and renamed his club to sunbathing club 1950s. The history of the Hong Kong Fire Service began in the Government Gazette (Hong Kong Government Gazette) dated May 9, 1868. Charles May (Charles May (police officer)) became the first Superintendent of the Fire Brigade. At the time, the Fire Department was part of the Hong Kong Police Force. It had a total strength of 62 with a supplement of 100 Chinese (Chinese people) volunteers. The fire department expanded to 140 members during the 1920s. During the Japanese Occupation (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong) during the World War II, the Service disbanded. The two fire engines (fire apparatus) were exported to Tokyo to become part of the Imperial Palace Fire Unit. It was only returned after the War. Unlike Canada, UK and some countries, Hong Kong's ambulance service is tied directly with the Fire Department. At that time all emergency ambulance service was provided by the Fire Service while non-emergency was handled by the Medical Corps (Royal Army Medical Corps). - 1941 Geoffry Northcote, Mark Aitchison Young Japanese occupation of Hong Kong begins after the Battle of Hong Kong Pearl Harbor (Attack on Pearl Harbor) incident, U.S. enters World War II - History The former Marine Police Headquarters was constructed in 1884. It comprises a main building, a stable block and a signal tower. It has been used by the Marine Police, except for the Japanese Occupation (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong) (1941–1945) when the compound was used as a base by the Japanese navy. Early life Lorring fled with her mother in 1939 following the Japanese invasion (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong). http: www.imdb.com name nm0521156 bio The two of them settled in San Francisco (San Francisco, California), California in the United States, where young Mary began working in radio. http: movies.nytimes.com person 43159 Joan-Lorring The party was founded on October 1925 in San Francisco, and was led by Chen Jiongming and Tang Jiyao, two ex-Kuomintang warlords that went into opposition. Their first platform was federalism (Chinese federalism) and multi-party democracy. The party moved its headquarters to Hong Kong in 1926. After the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931 it began engaging in anti-Japanese propaganda and boycotts. The party was nearly wiped out during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. The party turned to the left during its third party congress in 1947. Today composed of returned overseas Chinese, their relatives, and noted figures and scholars who have overseas ties. Events In April 2006, a total of 580 unused shells left from the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong were found buried at Tonkin Street in Cheung Sha Wan. The residents were temporarily evacuated and the shells were detonated safely. History ''HMS Tamar (HMS Tamar (1863))'' was originally the name of a British naval vessel which arrived in Hong Kong in 1897 and remained in the British territory until Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II in 1941. In memory of this vessel, the British named the Royal Naval station in Hong Kong "HMS Tamar (HMS Tamar (shore station))". The British garrison pre-handover (Transfer of the sovereignty of Hong Kong) was stationed at the "Prince of Wales Building", within the base, and which is part of the site. History The Hong Kong branch was established in 1933 in Ho Man Tin. Initially, only primary school education was offered; a junior high school division using Chinese (Chinese language) as medium of instruction was established in 1938, a senior high division was established in 1940. The school was suspended during Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II. Students and staff went to Macau and mainland China. In 1945, the school move back to a temporary site in Kowloon Tong and in 1946, the school move back to Ho Man Tin. In 1950, the school was renamed from a Hong Kong branch of the Canton school to the present name. In 1952, a new extension on the land donated by Hong Kong Government (Government of Hong Kong) was built and complete in September, 1953. The premises is located at Pui Ching Road which was named after the school. The Clock Tower reused the clock from the demolished Pedder Street Clock Tower. However, only one side had a clock, and it was not until 1920 that the remaining three sides of the Clock Tower were installed. They began operation in the afternoon of 22 March 1921, and have run ever since except during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II. History During the Second World War Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, most of the Indian POWs captured in Hong Kong were interned at a POW Camp here. The Japanese 'encouraged' these men to join the Indian National Liberation Army, but met with little success. While hundreds of these POWs were not considered a threat by the Japanese, and were used as 'guards' at Gun Club Hill Barracks and other areas, 500-600 Indian soldiers considered anti-Japanese were held at Ma Tau Chung in very unpleasant circumstances. There were many deaths, and the men were buried just outside the camp near the vegetable gardens of the Argyle Street Camp immediately on the other side of Argyle Street (Argyle Street, Hong Kong). The barracks were one of the first British military compounds in Hong Kong and were used by the Japanese during the Japanese occupation (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong) (1941–1945). They underwent major restoration after World War II. Part of the land was returned to the Hong Kong Government in 1967; D H Oxley. (1979)''Victoria Barracks, 1842-1979''. Published by Headquarters British Forces Hong Kong most of the rest was transferred to the government in 1979. The road was renamed "Kasuga-dori" (春日通) during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. After the surrender and evacuation of the Japanese army (Imperial Japanese Navy), the name was reverted. Memorial The park is close to the former Sham Shui Po Camp. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong between 1941 and 1945, the camp was used for prisoners of war. Many of them died in the camp. Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance For the three nights straddling the Mid-Autumn festival, As cited from Discover Hong Kong Tourism Board visitors can also see the spectacular Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance. It's a 67-metre-long 'fire dragon' that winds its way with much fanfare and smoke through a collection of streets located in Tai Hang, close to Victoria Park (Victoria Park, Hong Kong) in Causeway Bay. The Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance started in 1880 when Tai Hang was a small Hakka (Hakka people) village of farmers and fishermen on the waterfront of Causeway Bay. This custom has been followed every year since 1880, with the exception of the Japanese Occupation (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong) and during the 1967 disturbances (Hong Kong 1967 Leftist Riots). Geoffrey Roper "Report on Visit to Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance, Mid Autumn Festival 1992", in ''Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong Branch'', Vol. 30, 1990. pp.307-308 History Located beside the historic Sham Shui Po Police Station, the centre was built on part of the site of the former Sham Shui Po Camp, a prisoner-of-war camp for Commonwealth forces captured during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, which was also used to house Vietnamese refugees in the late 1970s and 1980s (see boat people). St. John's College (St. John's College, University of Hong Kong) * The University's first hall of residence, '''St. John's Hall''', was built by the Church Missionary Society in late 1912. It has been a tradition of the hall to hold High Table Dinner every week since its introduction in 1916. This custom was subsequently taken up by other halls. '''St. John's Hall''' housed male students until the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. The original site is now occupied by St. Paul's College (St. Paul's College, Hong Kong). A post-War inspection on August 31, 1945 found the hall totally ruined with only four of its walls remaining. Combined with '''St. Stephen's Hall''', the new '''St. John's College (St. John's College, University of Hong Kong)''' was built in 1955 in 82 Pokfulam Road to replace the former hall. In 1941, the Maryknoll Sisters left Hong Kong and closed the school because the Japanese army invaded (Japanese occupation of Hong Kong) Hong Kong. In 1945, after the Japanese surrendered (Surrender of Japan), the school reopened. * Cleanup needed (updated by bot) ** 70 - Baguio Villa, Bank of Canton, Bijia mountain, Caffeine culture in Hong Kong, Cantonese (linguistics), Chan Kam Lim, China Far East Railway, Chinese Orthodox Church, Crown Prince Party, Di (ethnic group), Early Admission Scheme, East Asian calligraphy, East Asian rainy season, East Chinese Railway Incident, Environment of China, Faye Wong, Faye Wong discography, Fu Hon Cheung, HK Golden Forum, Han Chinese clothing, Harnam Singh Grewal, High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China, History of metallurgy in China, Home Return Permit, Hong Kong Certificate of Identity, Hong Kong Commercial Daily, Hong Kong Economic Times, Hong Kong Fringe Club, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong legislative election, 2004, Human rights abuses by Hong Kong police, Indigenous inhabitant, Initial D (film), Jackie Chan, Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, Jenny Tseng, Jianzi, Jordan Chan, Kwun Tong Government Secondary School, List of TVB programmes, Lugard Road, Lü Clan Disturbance, Man Behind the Sun, Michael David Cartland, Ming Dao, Ocean Park Hong Kong, Peking Opera School, Perhaps Love (film), Pillar of Shame, Red Guards (China), Shaw Organization, So Lo Pun, Song Ci, State Food and Drug Administration of China, Stephy Tang, Tai Kok Tsui, Tang Dynasty, Tanka (ethnic group), Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Vietnamese people in Hong Kong, Wang Binyu, White Lotus, Wing Lung Bank, Women's healthcare in 20th century China, Xi Shi, Yangtze River Crossing, Young and Dangerous * Expansion needed (updated by bot) History The school was growing out of a primary school Tack Ching School founded by Sisters of the Precious Blood in 1923 at Nam Cheong Street. It was later relocated to Un Chau Street in 1929. In 1929 the primary school expanded to secondary education and thus was renamed to ''Tack Ching Girls' Secondary School''. The school suspended its operation from 1941 and 1945 during the period of Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. In 1945 the school resumed its operation and opened a branch in Wan Chai, which became Precious Blood Secondary School in 1946. In 1949 the school was moved into a new school building at Un Chau Street near the junction of Yen Chow Street and Castle Peak Road in Sham Shui Po with a grand opening by the then-Hong Kong Governor Alexander Grantham. After more than 50 years, the school was relocated again to the present site one the new reclamation of Cheung Sha Wan.
To date, the best known examples of an anarchist communist society (ie, established around the ideas as they exist today and achieving worldwide attention and knowledge in the historical canon), are the anarchist territories during the Spanish Revolution "This process of education and class organization, more than any single factor in Spain, produced the collectives. And to the degree that the CNT-FAI (for the two organizations became fatally coupled after July 1936) exercised the major influence in an area, the collectives proved to be generally more durable, communist and resistant to Stalinist counterrevolution than other republican-held areas of Spain." Murray Bookchin . ''To Remember Spain: The Anarchist and Syndicalist Revolution of 1936'' and the Free Territory during the Russian Revolution (Russian Revolution (1917)). Through the efforts and influence of the Spanish Anarchists during the Spanish Revolution within the Spanish Civil War, starting in 1936 anarchist communism existed in most of Aragon, parts of the Levante and Andalusia, as well as in the stronghold of Anarchist Catalonia before being crushed by the combined forces of the regime that won the war (Francoism), Hitler (Adolf Hitler), Mussolini, Spanish Communist Party repression (backed by the USSR) as well as economic and armaments blockades from the capitalist countries and the Spanish Republic itself. Murray Bookchin . ''To Remember Spain: The Anarchist and Syndicalist Revolution of 1936'' During the Russian Revolution, anarchists such as Nestor Makhno worked to create and defend—through the Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of Ukraine—anarchist communism in the Free Territory of the Ukraine from 1919 before being conquered by the Bolsheviks in 1921. When World War I and series of revolutions across the Europe including the October Revolution in Russia shattered many existing empires such as the Austrian Empire Austrian
;ref name "UNHCR" Violence between Murle (Murle people) and Nuer (Nuer people) tribes has been central to the attacks in the state. The Geneva Small Arms Survey concluded that the "Murle–Lou Nuer conflict in Jonglei State is indicative of how tribal and political dynamics are intertwined in the post-CPA period."
-Iran" The Ottoman sultans addressed him as ''the king of Persian lands and the heir to Jamshid and Kaykhusraw (Kaykhusraw (disambiguation)). "Iranian identity iii. Medieval Islamic period" in Encyclopedia Iranica: "The Safavid kings called themselves, among other appellations, the "heart of the shrine of ʿAli" (''kalb-e āstān-e ʿAli
" "Armenia-Ancient Period" - ''US Library of Congress Country Studies'' (retrieved 23 June 2006) Strabo, "Geography" - ''Perseus Digital Library'', Tufts University (retrieved 24 June 2006). Caucasian Albanians established
. Following the decline of the Seleucids in Persia in 247 BCE, an Armenian Kingdom (Kingdom of Armenia (antiquity)) exercised control over parts of modern Azerbaijan between 190 BCE to 428 CE. "Armenia-Ancient Period" – ''US Library of Congress Country Studies'' (retrieved 23 June 2006) http