Places Known For

paintings


Panjakent

excavators here, and students from St. Petersburg willing to tell you about their work and finds. The town has another small museum with Soviet memorabilia and stuffed animals as well as impressive finds from the excavations nearby -- wall paintings from the 5th century, with faded colors but recognizable motifs and hunting scenes. You can also do excellent treks in the surrounding Fan Mountains and further up the Zeravshan Valley. Penjikent is usually visited from Samarkand as part of a tour

were separated by a narrow wadi with a bridge connecting the two parts of the city. Two ''temples'' in the shakhrestan formed the center of the urban area. The two temples contained statues and mural paintings. During the 5th and 6th centuries, no building in Panjakent was as magnificent as the two temples and even the houses of the wealthiest residents seemed rather humble compared to the two temples. The buildings were made of mud bricks and paksha. The '''residential houses''' ranged

from single room buildings to large estates, reflecting the social status of their inhabitants. In the 7th and 8th centuries, the hoses of the rich dominated the architecture of the city. At the beginning of the 8th century, the spaces between the houses were converted into passageways and often covered with vaults. The houses of the rich became two-story buildings with vaults over the room on the first floor. All residential houses were covered with wall paintings and woodcarvings. The larger


Ráckeve

is the ''Savoy Castle'' of Prince Eugene of Savoy, built in the baroque style in 1702–50. History thumb left 200px The town hall of Ráckeve (File:Ráckeve városháza.JPG) thumb right 200px Serb (File:Rackeve05 036.jpg) Orthodox Church From Year 1487. thumb right 200px Serb Orthodox Church Paintings (File:Rackeve05 037.jpg) After the Árpád dynasty was established, the region of today's Ráckeve belonged to the Hungarian king (List of Hungarian rulers). In the Middle Ages

of Kék Duna Wellness Hotel phone +36 24 422702 tollfree fax hours Opening hours: Tu-Su: 10:00-16:00 Mo: Closed. price Admission: Free, guide: available. content Exhibition of contemporary paintings *

building was built in the middle of the 1930's. thumb St. Emeric Highschool (File:Ráckeve Szent Imre iskola.JPG) *


Ozumba

King David due to theft. Although extremely ornate, this piece is considered to be part of the “sober” Baroque tradition (Baroque architecture). The entire altarpiece is gilded and the main feature is the repeating Solomonic Baroque columns (Solomonic column). Other colonial altarpieces in various styles line the nave and stand in the side chapels, some with paintings by well known Mexican artists such as Juan

sides. It contains niches, some of which are now empty. These contained images such as those of San Hugo and the Immaculate Conception. The altarpiece was done by a sculptor named Domingo and contains two of his paintings. At the top are paintings done by someone named Arellano. Some aspects of the altars are modern such as the statue of Thérèse de Lisieux. Originally, there was a statue of Anthony of Padua here. Unfortunately, this church, along

with a number of others in the area, has suffered the theft of artwork. This have included statues of saints, altar items and paintings such as “The Transit of the Virgin” which was stolen in the 1990s. thumb Mural of the "Martyred Children" (File:ChildMartyrsOzumba.JPG) The monastery area is to the right of the church. The main entrance is a “portería” or an arched, colonnaded entry. Inside this portería are murals depicting scenes from the early


Pogradec

the past years. Even though many of the above visitors are staying for a weekend only, tourism makes an important share of local economy (~1 visitor inhabitant). Vangjush Mio was the first impressionist painter of Albania. He was known especially for his landscape paintings (Landscape art) and is considered the best Albanian landscape painter of the 20th Century. His favorite subjects were the cities Korçë

. Buy * *Hand made works from artisans and paintings by local artists. *

works of wood will impress you. * *


Tlaxcala, Tlaxcala

altars. In the two side chapels there are oil paintings by Manuel Caro as well as two holy water fonts of sculpted stone that has images of the god Camaxtli and the Spanish coat of arms. thumb Tlaxcala Museum of Art (File:MuseoArteTlaxcala.JPG) The former municipal palace was constructed in the middle of the 16th century as a place for the representatives of the four Tlaxcala dominions to meet. It has two levels with arches on the lower level

fragments of murals depicting the baptism of Jesus, the Three Wise Men and of God, the Father, surrounded by angels playing musical instruments. Adjoining this is the Tizatlán archeological site, in which still remain six semicircular columns, two altars with paintings similar to those of the Borgia Codex, where the gods Tezcatlipoca and Tlahuizcalpantecutli appear. The Chapel of the Well of the Miraculous Water (Capilla del Pocito de Agua

in the form of a stylized star. The towers were construction in the latter 18th century with arches and vegetative decoration. The cupola contains four mirrors with the cornice covered in gold leaf. The ante-sacristy has five oil paintings by Manuel Caro done in 1781 depicting scenes of some of the Virgin Mary’s appearances. The sacristy has a painting of Saint Joseph by Joaquin Magón from 1754. The Guadalupe chapel to the side has lead figures of the Four Evangelists as well as paintings by Miguel


Anuradhapura Kingdom

throughout the Anuradhapura period. These constructions are an indication of the advanced technical and engineering skills used to create them. The famous paintings and structures at Sigiriya; the Ruwanwelisaya, Jetavana stupa (Jetavanaramaya)s, and other large stupas; large buildings like

such as Dipavamsa and Mahavamsa have been written during the Anuradhapura Kingdom, and are still useful as resources for studying the history of the country. Siriweera (2004), p. 271 Mendis (1999), p. 1 Art File:Sigiriya frescoes.jpg thumb The Sigiriya frescoes are the oldest and best preserved paintings belonging to the Anuradhapura period. alt Painting on a rock face depicting two women, one dark skinned and the other fair skinned

. Both are wearing jewellery and flowers, and both figures appear to be hidden in clouds below the waist. The Sigiriya Frescoes found at Sigiriya, Sri Lanka were painted during the reign of King Kashyapa I (Kashyapa I of Anuradhapura) (ruled 477 — 495 AD). Depicting female figures carrying flowers, they are the oldest surviving paintings of the Anuradhapura period. Siriweera (2004), p


Yecapixtla

" thumb left Main nave of the church, decorated for Christmas (File:MainNaveYecaXmas.JPG) The main nave is enormous and very tall. At the front is an apse, which like the area under the choir has a vault with Gothic nerves which form a star pattern. The current main altar found here is not the original. The original altar was Baroque (Baroque architecture) which contained twelve paintings with each

of the Apostles as well as one of John the Baptist and Saint Augustine. These paintings have since been moved to the pinacotheca of the Cuernavaca cathedral. The current altar is a large white 19th century Neoclassical (Neoclassical architecture) style piece, inspired by a Roman mausoleum. It has two levels on a circular base with a Corinthian (Corinthian order) style capitol. It features an image of John the Baptist. ref name "conventos

entrance to the cloister area, above which is a crucifix set on top of a skull, which represents Calvary. The foyer of this entrance used to serve as a baptistery in the late 19th and early 20th century. The paintings here are from that era. They depict stories about the Virgin Mary who is shown with the infant Jesus in her arms and symbols of the Trinity around them. Inside, the cloister has only one floor


Tamanrasset

in a savanna region, known then as the Green Sahara. Those paintings show giant buffalos (African buffalo), elephants, rhinoceros, and hippopotamus, animals that no longer exist in the now-desert area. The pictures provide the most complete record of a prehistoric Algerian history. Mali is one of four Saharan states which will create a Joint Military Staff Committee, to be based at Tamanrasset in southern Algeria. Algeria, Mauritania, Niger, and Mali will take part. ref>

, Niger, and Mali will take part. thumb right Neolithic cave paintings found in Tassil-n-Ajjer (Plateau of the Chasms) region of the Sahara (Image:African cave paintings.jpg) The cave paintings found at Tassili n'Ajjer, north of Tamanrasset, Algeria, and at other

culture. Various populations of pastoralists (pastoralism) have left paintings of abundant wildlife, domesticated animals, chariots, and a complex culture that dates back to at least 10,000 BCE in Northern Niger and neighboring parts of Algeria and Libya. Several former northern Nigerian villages and archeological sites date from the Green Sahara period of 7500-7000 to 3500-3000 BCE - TMR DAAT Tamanrasset Airport Tamanrasset


Encarnación de Díaz

paintings and other religious art. On the opposite side of the plaza is the '''municipal palace'''. This building was constructed in 1759 originally as a royal treasury (casa real). Later it became a municipal jail. After Independence, it was renovated to become the main governmental building. It is Neoclassical in design and it has unique arches in the frond, which were roofed in 1834. ref

consists mostly of murals as well as a number of the buildings original oil paintings. The walls still contains phrases written on them when it was a school, with positive messages about women. thumb Municipal library (File:LibraryEncarnacionDiaz01.jpg) The '''Dr. Pedro de Alba Auditorium''' was construction in the late 19th century by the church as a parochial school for boys. The facade is characterized by walls divided

newspaper EFE News Service location Madrid date August 27, 2010 The '''Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Church''' was never finished since construction was begun in 1867. It is an eclectic design favored in the Porfirio Díaz era covered in vaults and the tallest cupola in the municipality. Metal filigreedecorates the architrave and transparent glass is found on the apse. Despite its relative newness, the sacristy is filled with a large collection of colonial era religious paintings


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017