Franklin, Pennsylvania

of Venango County. Franklin is part of the ''Oil City, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area''. History The city's namesake is Benjamin Franklin. The Samuel F. Dale House and Franklin Historic District (Franklin

in 1978. * Riverfront Park Notable people * John Wilkes Booth (May 10, 1838 – April 26, 1865) Abraham Lincoln's assassin (assassination). In 1864 he formed an oil company in Franklin and resided there while performing at the Franklin Opera House. * Nate Byham (born June 27, 1988) American football tight end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. * Jack Fultz (born August 27, 1948) Winner of the 1976 Boston Marathon. * Judge Robert Lamberton (March 20, 1809 – August 7, 1885

in Pennsylvania Category:Populated places established in the 1740s Business ventures Booth invested some of his growing wealth in various enterprises during the early 1860s, including land speculation in Boston's Back Bay section (Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts). He also started a business partnership with John Ellsler, manager of the Cleveland Academy of Music, and another friend, Thomas Mears, to develop oil wells in northwestern Pennsylvania, where


Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement

the nation's natural gas, oil and other mineral resources on the outer continental shelf (OCS).

Enforcement . Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Agency received most of its revenue from leasing federal lands and waters to oil and natural gas companies with a profit margin

of 98%. It was among the top five revenue sources to the federal government, the IRS being number one.


Brega

opposition .

; ref Geography The assigned settlement near the refinery and oil terminal is known as Brega. The town was built in pre-fabricated concrete parts and designed by Greek architect and urban planner Konstantinos Apostolos Doxiadis. The town has about 7,000 inhabitants. In reality, Brega consists of several urban

western and eastern Libya. http: wikimapia.org #lat 30.4315057&lon 19.6593475&z 12&l 53&m b&v 8 10 kilometres to the north-east of "Area 2" lies ''New Brega'', a new settlement specifically built as a housing area for oil workers.


Avenal, California

Plains. Early American settlers arrived in the Kettleman Hills during the 1850s with dreams of raising cattle and farming. Oil, however, would bring fame, fortune and people to the area. Indians had always known oil was in the hills, with natural seepage around Coalinga and Tar Canyon. The first Kettleman Hills well was drilled in 1900, followed by countless unproductive efforts. On March 27, 1927, the Milham Exploration Company began work on Elliot No. 1. The crew toiled for 19 months

, drilling past the away, spewing forth an oil so fine that its color was white, and could reportedly be used unrefined as gasoline in automobiles. thumb right 240px Monument to the Discovery of the Kettleman North Dome Oil Field in 1928 (File:Monument to 1928 Elliott No 1 - Avenal.jpg) The discovery of oil transformed Avenal into a boomtown. In 1929, Standard Oil surveyed

the current site of Avenal to build a town. Makeshift houses were hauled in from Taft (Taft, California) to take the place of the tents. A water line was laid and later a sewer plant was installed, a post office replaced a cigar box in the general store, a fire department was organized and a community grew. Standard Oil Company built the residents a 600-seat theater and a hospital. Also in the first year (1929), nearly 20 businesses occupied Kings Street and Skyline Boulevard. By 1936, Avenal


Abadan, Iran

name vd Abadan Refinery is one of the largest in the world. Only 9% of managers (of the oil company) were from Khuzestan. The proportion of natives of Tehran, the Caspian (Caspians), Azarbaijan and Kurdistan (Kurdistan Province, Iran) rose from 4% of blue collar workers to 22% of white collar (White-collar worker) workers to 45% of managers, thus Minority Arabic (Arabic language)-speakers were concentrated

deadly chemical weapons. It was not until the 20th century that rich oil fields were discovered in the area. On 16 July 1909, after secret negotiation with the British consul, Percy Cox assisted by Arnold Wilson, Sheik Khaz'al (Khaz'al al-Ka'bi) agreed to a rental agreement for the island including Abadan. ref

The Anglo-Persian Oil Company built their first pipeline terminus oil refinery in Abadan, starting in 1909 and completing it in 1912, with oil flowing by August 1912 (see Abadan Refinery).


Fort McMurray

Municipality of Wood Buffalo date February 2, 2010 accessdate February 8, 2010 Despite its current official designation of urban service area, many locals, politicians and the media still refer to Fort McMurray as a city. Fort McMurray was known as McMurray between 1947 and 1962. History Image:Clearwater River valley (from Highway 63).JPG 200px thumb left View of the Clearwater River

(Saskatchewan) Clearwater River valley from Highway 63 (Alberta Highway 63) Before the arrival of Europeans in the late 18th Century, the Cree were the dominant First Nations people in the Fort McMurray area. The Athabasca Oil Sands were known to the locals and the surface deposits were used to waterproof their canoes. In 1778, the first European explorer, Peter Pond, came to the region in search of furs (North American fur trade), as the European demand for this commodity at the time

; In 1790, the explorer Alexander MacKenzie (Alexander Mackenzie (explorer)) made the first recorded description of the oil sands. By that time, trading between the explorers and the Cree was already occurring at the confluence of the Clearwater and Athabasca Rivers. The Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company were in fierce competition in this region. Fort McMurray was established there as a Hudson's Bay Company post by 1870, and continued to operate as a transportation stopover


Emirate of Abu Dhabi

, which has risen to 2.3 million in 2012. http: www.arabnews.com news 508116 Abu Dhabi is the capital city of the emirate, after which it is named, as well as the capital of the federation. Abu Dhabi’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) estimates, in 2011, amounted to AED 806,031 million at current prices. Mining and quarrying (includes crude oil and natural gas) accounts for the largest contribution to GDP

"Abu Dhabi Over a Half Century" In the early 1970s, two important developments helped the emirate achieve leaps on the path of development. The first was the establishment of the United Arab Emirates in December 1971 with Abu Dhabi as its political and administrative capital. The second was the sharp increase in oil prices following the October 1973 War

, which accompanied a change in the relationship between the oil countries and foreign oil companies, leading to a dramatic rise in oil revenues. Ethymology "Dhabi" is the Arabic name of a particular species of native Arabian gazelle that was once common in the region. Abu Dhabi means the place rich in "Dhabi" (gazelle). http: www.uae-tour.com History Image:First Tower, Qasr al-Hosn


Comodoro Rivadavia

of Escalante Department. It had a population of 137,061 at the , and grew to 182,631 by the 2010 census. Comodoro Rivadavia is a commercial and transportation center for the surrounding region, the largest city of Chubut, and an important export point for a leading Argentine petroleum district. A 1,770 km pipeline conveys natural gas from Comodoro Rivadavia to Buenos Aires. The city is modern with the air of an oil-country boomtown

oil at a depth of 539 m. The city is the home of the main faculty of the National University of Patagonia San Juan Bosco (Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia San Juan Bosco). The Cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia (Roman Catholic Bishop of Comodoro Rivadavia), of which the Bishop is, since 2005, Virginio Domingo Bressanelli. The Cathedral is dedicated to San Juan Bosco (Giovanni Melchior Bosco), the only cathedral in the world dedicated to the founder

of the Salesian Order (Salesians of Don Bosco). It was inaugurated in 1979, although the crypt itself had been dedicated in 1949. Rada Tilly is a beach resort and now suburb 12 km south of Comodoro. The National Museum of Petroleum is located in the General Mosconi neighbourhood 3 km north of central Comodoro Rivadavia. It was opened in 1987 by the state-owned oil company YPF. Comodoro Rivadavia is served by General Enrique Mosconi International Airport


Dammam

and close ties with the bigger city of Dammam. When the modern Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was founded in 1932, the area was the site of several hamlets that depended on fishing and pearls for their survival. Over a span of a little more than half a century, the area has developed into a thriving hub of industry, commerce and science, and home to more than half a million people. The area's transformation was launched with the discovery of oil in commercial quantities. The Eastern Province sits atop

one of the largest oil fields in the world, and it was here in Dhahran in 1936 that Aramco, the predecessor of the national oil company of Saudi Arabia, Saudi Aramco, dug the famous Dammam No. 7 well that proved beyond doubt that the Kingdom possessed a large supply of hydrocarbons. The discovery of new oil fields to the south, west and north of Dammam in the 1940s and 1950s, which now account for a quarter of the world's proven oil reserves, triggered a building boom. The Albinali Family, led

by Sheikh Muhammad Nasir Albinali and Brothers played a crucial role in the development of the city of Dammam and the Eastern province in various fields. Experts and technicians from throughout the Kingdom and the world gathered to help search for new oil fields and bring them on-stream. New pipelines had to be installed, storage facilities built and jetties constructed to handle tankers. The growing number of experts working in Dhahran required the building of housing, hospitals, schools


Port Sudan

is in the mouth of a gulf continuing seaward through a coral-free channel 18–26 meters (60–85 ft) deep. Imports include machinery, vehicles, fuel oil, and building materials. Cotton, gum arabic, oilseeds, hides and skins, and senna (senna (plant)) are the chief exports. Port Sudan has an oil refinery to handle the petroleum from onshore wells, as well as an oil pipeline to Khartoum that was completed in 1977. A rail line (Rail transport in Sudan) links the Red Sea

and build the base camp in-theatre, some 2,300 kilometers inland from Port Sudan. Lt Col Mike Robertshawe, 'Sierra Leone: A Country on the Move?,' The Sustainer (Journal of the Royal Logistics Corps) April 2010, p.124-5 The contingent is under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S.E.T. Marah. Oil was Sudan's main export, with production increasing dramatically during the late 2000s, in the years before South Sudan gained independence in July 2011

. With rising oil revenues, the Sudanese economy was booming, with a growth rate of about nine percent in 2007. Sustained growth was expected the next year in 2008 due to not only increasing oil production, but also to the boost of hydroelectricity (annual electricity yield of 5.5 TWh) provided by the Merowe Dam. The independence of oil-rich South Sudan, however, placed most major oilfields out of the Sudanese government's direct control. In order to export oil, South Sudan must rely


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017