Places Known For

military buildings


Paldiski

as ''Rågervik'', it became a Russian naval base in the 18th century. The Russians renamed it ''Балтийский Порт'' ("Baltiyskiy Port", i.e. Baltic Port, ) in 1762. In Estonian the name was spelled ''Baltiski'' until 1933 when the Estonian pronunciation ''Paldiski'' became the official name. History left thumb 150px Abandoned military buildings in Paldiski (1999). (File:Paldiski abandoned military buildings.jpg) Soviet era In 1962, Paldiski


Summerside, Prince Edward Island

Tax (Canada) Goods and Services Tax (GST) from its Summerside Tax Centre. The Slemon Park business park (formerly CFB Summerside) hosts a concentration of several aerospace and transportation companies in former military buildings; Vector Aerospace Engine Services Atlantic (formerly Atlantic Turbines) repairs and overhauls Gas Turbine aircraft engines, Testori Americas produces interiors for aircraft and mass transit surface vehicles, and Honeywell manufactures and repairs parts


Kaluga

during the climactic Battle of Moscow. It was occupied from October 12, 1941 to January 4, 1942. In 1944, the Soviet Government used its local military buildings to intern hundreds of Polish POWs—soldiers of the Polish Underground Home Army (Armia Krajowa)—who were arrested by advancing Soviet front in the Vilno (Vilnius) area. Administrative and municipal status Kaluga is the administrative center of the oblast. Charter of Kaluga Oblast


Fredericton

years, the area of Fredericton went from being a sparsely populated region to being the capital of the new colony of New Brunswick. The same attributes that made Fredericton the capital city also made it an ideal spot for a military installation. Many of the original military buildings downtown still stand, and are now tourist attractions. A building was constructed to house the provincial legislative assembly in 1788, but it was destroyed by a fire in 1880. Two years later, the present New


Kingston, Ontario

. Because of Kingston's military tradition and the fact that several military buildings already existed at the old naval dockyard, Point Frederick was chosen as the location for Canada's first military college, the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC). The college opened in 1876. Located east of Kingston's downtown, the army's Camp Barriefield, now McNaughton Barracks, was constructed at the beginning of the First World War (World War I) and expanded during the World War II Second World


Eritrea

justice system, or B) Even if they are not, you run the risk of not receiving a fair trade or getting caught by the law, which is something you must avoid at all costs in Eritrea. * It is rude to take pictures of people or their property without asking for permission. When taking pictures of public buildings beware of government buildings, especially police and military buildings. Taking pictures of these is not always illegal, but, done without permission or supervision, it can be viewed


Portsmouth

for dockyard The Basins have new uses, St Mary's Island is now housing and part of the Victorian Dockyard forms the portal to the Medway Tunnel. Other military buildings have now been refitted and are used by the Universities at Medway. **No 3 Slip 1838. This had a linked truss structure and was originally covered in Tarred Paper, which was quickly replaced with a zinc roof. The slip was backfilled around 1900 and a steel mezzanine (Mezzanine (architecture)) floor was added


Southampton

at Southampton and Chepstow Military Hospital. The company also constructed over one thousand military buildings and over 50 miles of roads and sewers. He was a huge favourite with the fans, despite being prone to occasional mistakes, and made just under 400 appearances in thirteen years with the club, becoming first-choice 'keeper at the start of the 1990-91 season. This was strengthened by Steve Sutton (Steve Sutton (footballer))'s move to Derby County (Derby County F.C.) in 1992


White House

home country during the Second World War, especially after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the entry of the US into the war. His caricatures of the leaders of the Axis powers (Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito) and drawings appeared practically everywhere: in newspapers, magazines (including ''Time (Time (magazine))'', ''Esquire (Esquire (magazine))'', and ''Collier's''), on posters, postcards and stamps, in secular, religious and military publications, on public and military

buildings. He also produced advertisements for Coca Cola and US Steel, and exhibited in the galleries of M. Knodler & Co., Andre Seligmann, Inc., Messrs. Wildenstein & Co., the Philadelphia Art Alliance, the Brooklyn Museum, the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, and the White House. More than 25 exhibitions were staged altogether in the United States during the war years. At the end of the war, in 1945, his drawing ''Two down and One to go


Oslo

kloster.jpg thumb right The ruins of the Cistercian monastery on Hovedøya, Oslo '''Hovedøya''' is one of several small islands off the coast of Oslo, Norway in the Oslofjord. The island is quite small, no more than 800 metres across in any direction, the total area is 0,4 square kilometre. It is well known for its lush and green nature, with a wide variety of trees, bushes and flowers The island has also been used for military installations, and former military buildings


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017