Places Known For

military architecture


Taza

) wide at the base by the Saadi (Saadi dynasty) Ahmed el-Mansour (Ahmad I al-Mansur Saadi) in the 16th century. The gate with iron grate and the casemates with terraced roofs are clearly influenced by European military architecture of the time. Topology The topology of the area has imposed a pattern of urban spread. Viewed from above, the city takes the form of a "T". It has its root in Taza high and stretches north to reach the bed of the Oued Larbaâ. Since the urban stretches east and west along the N6 between Fez and Oujda. At the dawn of independence, the city consisted of the Medina High Taza, the European district occupying almost hill called "No Adrar Illouz. People usually pronounce Draâ louz. This area became the center of town, and finally the station area a few kilometers below. During the following years (60s, 70s) districts have emerged, midway between downtown and the train station (Bit Goulem, Ourida, JRAD Bin). During the 80s, other districts make their appearance, especially north of the city (and Massira Quds), extended and developed areas today. The goal of this extension was the slum clearance. It was a success, since 1986 the city was declared a city without slums. The craze is such that sections like (Massira II) are villa style. The 90s marked the beginning of the urbanization of the axis center - Taza above. These are buildings with 6 or 7 floors occupying a strategic content between public facilities (municipality, space, civil protection, hospital ibn baja, high school and college ...) and on the other hand, it is down the high rock a hundred yards. This area is also adjacent to the uptown-Qessou meddah, Friouato and Hay Shuhada (developed throughout the last three decades). More recently this area continues to morph and promises a beautiful view from the heights of the city. The planning now also spread on the road to Fez for several kilometers to reach the intermittently R508 (about Tainast). The development plan provides a direct link between Taza West (at the "white bridge") and Taza high. See also *Great Mosque of Taza *Bou Hamara - early 20th century pretender to the throne of Morocco, based in Taza Notes WikiPedia:Taza


Ar-Raqqah

Philipp von Zabern year 2003 * *


Campeche, Campeche

of the military architecture of the 17th and 18th centuries, is part of an overall defensive system set up by the Spanish to protect the ports on the Caribbean Sea from pirate attacks like the 1663 Sack of Campeche (Sack of Campeche (1663)). The state of preservation and quality of its architecture earned it the status of a World Heritage Site in 1999. Historic Fortified Town of Campeche - UNESCO World Heritage World Heritage Site - Campeche Demographics thumb right Independence Park (File:Campeche001.JPG) As of 2010, the municipality had a total population of 259,005. '''María Lavalle Urbina''' (born May 24, 1908, in Campeche (Campeche, Campeche), Campeche) was a Mexican (Mexico) lawyer and politician who served as the first female president of the Mexican Senate (Senate of Mexico). The Maya revolt reached its peak of success in the spring of 1848 by driving the Europeans from all the Yucatán Peninsula, with the exception of the walled cities of Campeche (Campeche, Campeche) and Mérida (Mérida, Yucatán) and a stronghold between the road from Mérida and Sisal (Sisal, Yucatán). * '''MMCN''' (CEN) – Ciudad Obregón International Airport – Ciudad Obregón, Sonora * '''MMCP''' (CPE) – Ing. Alberto Acuña Ongay International Airport – Campeche (Campeche, Campeche), Campeche (Campeche (state)) * '''MMCS''' (CJS) – Abraham González International Airport – Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua (Chihuahua (state))


Alderney

rocks, its access causeway and bridge having been swept away long ago. Houmet Herbé resembles a Crusader castle (List of Crusader castles) with its squat round towers. Like many of the forts it included such apparently anachronistic features as a drawbridge and machicolation, which were still common in military architecture of the period. World War II thumb left Alderney concentration camps (File:Lageplan Konzentrationslager Aldeney B.jpg) memorial plaque In June 1940 the entire population of Alderney, about 1500 residents, was evacuated. Most went on the official evacuation boats sent from mainland Britain, some however decided to make their own way, mostly via Guernsey, but due to the impending occupation many found themselves unable to leave and were forced to stay on Guernsey for the duration of the war. A few Alderney people elected not to leave Alderney with the general evacuation. However, boats from Guernsey came and collected them before the German Army (German Army (1935–46)) arrived, on the basis it was best for their personal safety. During the Second World War (World War II), the Channel Islands was the only part of the British Commonwealth (Commonwealth of Nations) occupied by Germany (Occupation of the Channel Islands). The Germans arrived to a deserted island and began to follow the orders to fortify Alderney as part of Hitler's Atlantic Wall. The Germans built four concentration camps (Alderney concentration camps) in Alderney, subcamps of the Neuengamme concentration camp. Lager Helgoland and Lager Borkum were used by the Nazi Organisation Todt and used forced labour to build bunkers, gun emplacements, air-raid shelters and concrete fortifications. In 1942, the Lager Norderney camp, containing Russian and Polish POWs, and the Lager Sylt camp, a concentration camp holding Jewish slave labourers (unfree labour), were placed under the control of the SS (Schutzstaffel)-Hauptsturmführer Maximilian List. Over 700 commons:Alderney - Aurigny


Duchy of Milan

of the finest examples of 16th century Portuguese military architecture, which has been influenced and changed by both the Omani Arabs and the British. Kirkman, J. 1974. ''Fort Jesus: A Portuguese Fortress on the East African Coast'' Clarendon Press: Oxford The fort quickly became a vital possession for anyone with the intention of controlling Mombasa Island or the surrounding areas of trade. When the United Kingdom British


Santiago de Cuba

Wikipedia:Santiago de Cuba Commons:Category:Santiago de Cuba


Toruń

. * *


Aleppo

; , the octagonal structure specifically protected the Tersane (dockyard), it remains one of the finest examples of medieval military architecture.


Dubrovnik

Commons:Dubrovnik


Mombasa

was designed by a Milanese (Duchy of Milan) architect, Giovanni Battista Cairati, who was the Chief Architect for Portuguese possessions in the East. It was the first European-style fort constructed outside of Europe designed to resist cannon fire. Gilbert, Erik, and Jonathan T. Reynolds. ''Africa in World History: From Prehistory to Present.'' New Jersey: Pearson Education, 2008, p. 225 Today, it is one of the finest examples of 16th century Portuguese military

architecture, which has been influenced and changed by both the Omani Arabs and the British. Kirkman, J. 1974. ''Fort Jesus: A Portuguese Fortress on the East African Coast'' Clarendon Press: Oxford The fort quickly became a vital possession for anyone with the intention of controlling Mombasa Island or the surrounding areas of trade. When the British (United Kingdom) colonised Kenya, they used it as a prison, until 1958, when


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017