Places Known For

major water


Sahuarita, Arizona

water users", all pumping water out of the same aquifer. None of these are owned by Pima County, the town of Sahuarita, nor Green Valley. The major water users are all private companies: ASARCO-Mission Mine, Phelps Dodge Sierrita Mine; Farmers Water Company; Sahuarita Water Company, Las Quintas Serenas Water Company, Quail Creek Water Company, Community Water Company of Green Valley, and the Green Valley Water District. The proliferation of water companies can be partially explained by the fact that the actual water in the aquifer is not owned by anyone, recorded near Cortaro (Cortaro, Arizona). * September 1965: The following year, the remnants of Hurricane Emily (1965 Pacific hurricane season#Hurricane Emily) crossed into Arizona from Baja California. Any damage from the storm is not known.

concludes that "Water supplies will become critical within the next ten years." The Upper Santa Cruz Valley has several "major


Majdal Shams

By the late 19th century, Majdal Shams was an important regional center and home of the local Ottoman administrator (Mudir). G. Schumacher, ''The Jaulan: Surveyed for the German Society for the Exploration of the Holy Land'' (London: Richard Bentley and Son, 1888): 10 In times of strife, residents of the surrounding villages travelled to Majdal Shams for safety because of the village's elevation and proximity to a major water source at Birkat Ram. During the winter of 1895, for example, Druze residents of neighboring communities sheltered in Majdal Shams during a local conflict between irregular Druze and Circassian militias. Drummond Hay, “Despatch No. 76 from Mr. Drummond Hay, Consul-General, Beyrout, to SirPhilip Currie, British Ambassador, Constantinople, 6 December 1895, regarding the fears of the Druzes of Mount Hermon of an attack by the Circassians and Kurds,” in Bejtullah Destani ed., Minorities in the Middle East, Druze Communities 1840-1974, Volume 3: 1866-1926 (London: Archive Editions, 2006): 192-194 In the late 19th century, Americans and Europeans began visiting Majdal Shams. In 1870, missionaries associated with the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America opened a school and church in the town. The mission school operated until 1885, when it was closed by Turkish authorities. ''Papers relating to the Foreign Relations of the United States, Transmitted to Congress, With the Annual Message of the President, December 8, 1885 ''(Washington: Government Printing Office, 1886): 836-839 Majdal Shams also attracted foreign geologists such as William Libbey because of the town's proximity to an exposed strata of Jurassic-era fossils. William Libbey and Franklin E. Hoskins, ''The Jordan Valley and Petra II ''(New York and London: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1905): 353 Fossils excavated at Majdal Shams were acquired by the American University of Beirut and Harvard University. Charles E. Hamlin, "Results of an Examination of Syrian Molluscan Fossils, Chiefly from the Range of Mount Lebanon," ''Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Geology at Harvard College ''10.3 (April 1884). Some travelers wrote vivid descriptions of Majdal Shams. Herbert Rix visited the town around 1907, and commented that "The whole place swarms with children, and many of them are so pretty that the traveller is at first greatly attracted to them." Herbert Rix, ''Tent and Testament: A Camping Tour in Palestine with Some Notes on Scripture Sites'' (London: Williams and Norgate, 1907): 98 James Kean, who wrote about the town in the 1890s, described Majdal Shams as a "remarkable village" and noted that it was "famous for the manufacture of steel blades." James Kean, ''Among the Holy Places: A Pilgrimage Through Palestine'' (London: T.F. Unwin, 1895): 290-294 Workshops in Majdal Shams continued to make souvenir daggers for European tourists until the 1950s. Munir Fakher Eldin, “Art and Colonial Modernityin the Occupied Golan Heights” (Lecture, Fatah Mudarris Center, Majdal Shams,28 June 2012) French Mandate and Independent Syria Majdal Shams played a significant role in the Great Syrian Revolt of 1925-1927. In October 1925, a few months after Syrian Druze had begun fighting French forces in the nearby province of Jabal al-Duruz, a group of the town's Druze residents looted local Christian property. Mandate authorities sent troops to restore order, and community leaders contacted the central command of the revolt for assistance defending the town against the French. Lenka Bokova, Laconfrontation franco-syrienne à l’époque du mandat, 1925-1927 (Paris:Editions L’Harmattan, 1990), 220-221 In response, rebel leader Zaid al-Atrash (brother of Sultan al-Atrash) led a force of 1,000 men to Majdal Shams. Zaid al-Atrash drove French troops from the area and established a rebel garrison in Majdal Shams to guard the road between Damascus and Marjayoun. Bokova, ''La confrontation'', 223 The garrison housed up to 10,000 rebels until April 1926, when French forces launched a renewed attack on the town. During the assault, French soldiers destroyed much of Majdal Shams and killed approximately 80 residents of the town. Tayseer Mara’i and Usama R. Halabi, “Life Under Occupation in the Golan Heights,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 22.1 (Autumn 1992), 78-93; Hassan Khater, ''Monument to the Maryrs of the Great Syrian Revolt'', 1925, Buq’ātha, Golan Heights Beginning in the 1930s, Majdal Shams residents and community leaders became involved in political developments in nearby Mandatory Palestine. During the 1936–39 Arab revolt in Palestine, traditional leader Assad Kanj Abu Salah proposed forming a local militia to assist the rebels. The plan did not come to fruition; according to conflicting accounts, the militia never formed, or engaged in only a single symbolic attack on the Syria-Palestine border. Laila Parsons, The Druze Between Palestine and Israel, 1947-49 (New York: St.Martin’s Press, 2000): 31; Yoav Gelber, “Druze and Jews in the War of 1948,” Middle Eastern Studies 31.2 (April 1995): 234 During the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Abu Salah's son Sultan formed a militia of 300 local men. The militia offered to serve as paid mercenaries for Zionist forces, but later volunteered with Palestinian and Arab forces. Gelber, “Druze and Jews": 233; Kais M. Firro, ''The Druzes in the Jewish State: A Brief History'' (Brill: Leiden, 1999): 43-44 Majdal Shams was integrated into economic networks that extended into Lebanon and other parts of Syria. The town traded local grapes for olives grown in Fiq (Fiq, Syria), 50 kilometers to the south. Sakr Abu Fakhr, “Voices from the Golan,” ''Journal ofPalestine Studies 29.4'' (August 2000): 9 Men from Majdal Shams harvested cedar wood in Lebanon, which they manufactured into plows and sold in as-Suwayda. Abu Fakhr, "Voices": 14 In the 1950s, some local residents travelled to Lebanon to work in construction. Munir Fakher Eldin, “Art and Colonial Modernity in the Occupied Golan Heights” (Lecture, Fatah Mudarris Center, Majdal Shams, 28 June 2012) Residents of Majdal Shams received access to Syrian state services. By the 1960s, there was a public elementary school in Majdal Shams. Residents attended the regional high school and registered marriages at the court in Quneitra. Aharon Layish, ''Marriage, Divorce and Succession in the Druze Family: A Study Based on Decisions of Druze Arbitrators and Religious Courts in Israel and the Golan Heights'' (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1982): 36; Sakr Abu Fakhr, “Voices from the Golan,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 29.4 (August 2000): 15 These institutions served to integrate the community into the broader region and state. Israeli occupation thumb 250px Majdal Shams in winter (File:PikiWiki Israel 30172 Cities in Israel.JPG) thumb 250px The Purple Line (ceasefire line) barrier (File:Majdal Shams border 11.jpg) between the Israeli-occupied portion of the Golan Heights and Syrian controlled territory Since the June 1967 Six-Day War, Majdal Shams has been under Israeli control. During the 1967 Six Day War, residents of the nearby towns of Ain Fit, Banias, Jubata ez-Zeit, and Za'ura took shelter in Majdal Shams. After Israeli forces had secured the area, soldiers forced refugees across the ceasefire line into Syrian controlled territory, but permitted residents of Majdal Shams and a few other communities to remain in their homes. Tayseer Mara’i and Usama R. Halabi, “Life Under Occupation in the Golan Heights,” ''Journal of Palestine Studies'' 22.1 (Autumn 1992): 79 As Israel and Syria fortified the ceasefire line, which ran along the eastern edge of Majdal Shams, the community was isolated from the rest of Syria. Many residents were separated from their relatives living or working in Syrian-controlled territory—as many as 50% from at least one sibling, parent, or child. Peter Ford, “Families Long for an End to Shouting,” ''Christian Science Monitor'' (27 October 1992): 7 During the 1970s, the Israeli government actively worked to integrate Majdal Shams into Israel. The state opened a public elementary school in Majdal Shams and a public secondary school in the nearby town of Mas'ade. “The Struggle of Identity Between the Israeli Education System and the Syrian Arab Programs: Paper Presented By Al Marsad, the Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, on Behalf of the Convenio 2015 at the WEF Forum, Haifa,30 October 2010” (Lecture, WEF Forum Haifa, 30 October 2010); Bashar Tarabieh, “Education, Control, and Resistance in the Golan Heights,” ''Middle East Report'' 195 195 (May–August 1995): 44 These schools originally used curricula developed for Arab citizens of Israel, and later adopted curricula designed specifically for Druze children. The Struggle of Identity Between the Israeli Education System and the Syrian Arab Programs: Paper Presented By Al Marsad, the Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, on Behalf of the Convenio2015 at the WEF Forum, Haifa, 30 October 2010” (Lecture, WEF Forum Haifa, 30 October 2010); Mara’i and Halabi, “Life Under Occupation”: 81 Israeli authorities confiscated large amounts of private and communal land for military use and earmarked a disproportionate percentage of local water resources for Israeli settlements. Al-Marsad: The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, “The Occupied Syrian Golan: Background” (Majdal Shams: Al-Marsad, The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, 2010) As a result, many residents who had previously worked in agriculture were forced to seek employment with Israeli companies, often in construction. Majdal Shams retained close ties to Syria. Residents frequently gathered at the eastern edge of the village with bullhorns to shout messages to friends and relatives on the Syrian side of the ceasefire line. Hannah Russell ed., ''Breaking Down the Fence: Addressing the Illegality of Family Separation in the Occupied Syrian Golan'' (Majdal Shams: Al-Marsad, The Arab Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Syrian Golan, 2010). Through the 1970s, and often later, many households refused to pay taxes to the state of Israel. Felicia Langer, ''With My Own Eyes: Israel and the Occupied Territories 1967-1973'' (London: Ithaca Press, 1975): 118-119 In 1981,when the Israeli Knesset formally annexed at 520 m above sea level. *Jesus Trail - a 65 km hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces routes Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The trail begins in Nazareth, and passes through Sepphoris, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, the Mount of Beatitudes, Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. *Golan Trail - a 125 km route from the slopes of Mt. Hermon to the southern Golan Heights. It passes many towns and settlements including Majdal Shams, Nimrod (Nimrod, Golan Heights), Masade, Buq'ata, Odem, Merom Golan, and Ein Zivan. *Valley of Springs Trail - a 120 km route in and around the Jordan Valley (Jordan Valley (Middle East)), terminating in Beit She'an and on Mount Gilboa near Kibbutz Meirav. The trail connects numerous springs (for which the area is famous) and other historical and natural attractions. 55 Kiryat Shmona, Maayan Baruch, HaGoshrim, She'ar Yashuv, Dafna, Dan (Dan (kibbutz)), Snir, Si'on Junc., Neve Ativ, Majdal Shams, Mas'adah, Buq'ata, El Rom, Merom Golan, Ein Zivan, Ortal, Katzrin, Beit Saida Junc., Gadot, Mishmar HaYarden, Mahanaim, Camp Yiftah, Hazor HaGelilit -


Newtown, Connecticut

Roxbury , Newtown (Newtown, Connecticut) and Milford (Milford, Connecticut), Connecticut, with ownership rights derived from the New Hampshire Grants. There are several minor and major dams along the river that form lakes. Most notable are two lakes in Connecticut, Lake Zoar, which borders Monroe (Monroe, Connecticut), Newtown (Newtown, Connecticut), Oxford (Oxford, Connecticut), and Southbury (Southbury, Connecticut), and Lake Lillinonah. Both lakes are major water-sport


Ensenada, Baja California

A later expedition by Vizcaíno with the same mission sailed on May 5, 1602 with four ships. This expedition was more fruitful. Ensenada, Baja California was founded. San Diego Bay was explored and Catalina Island (Santa Catalina Island, California) was named. The explorers reached as far north as Monterey Bay, Alta California, which Vizcaíno named in honor of the viceroy. Subsequent plans to colonize Alta California foundered when Zúñiga's successor, Juan de Mendoza, 3rd Marquis of Montesclaros, turned out to be much less favorable. http: www.sandiegohistory.org journal 78winter plans.htm PLANS FOR THE OCCUPATION OF UPPER CALIFORNIA A NEW LOOK AT THE "DARK AGE" FROM 1602 TO 1769, The Journal of San Diego History SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY, Winter 1978, Volume 24, Number 1


Hazleton, Pennsylvania

; The garment industry thrived and was invested in by New York mobster Albert Anastasia. . In 1947, Autolite Corporation was looking to expand operations in the East, and had been looking into Hazleton. Officials from Autolite came to the area to survey it and in their report, they noted Hazleton is a "mountain wilderness" with no major water route, rail route, trucking route, or airport. In response, several area leaders


Grand Island, Nebraska

travel; it was never used as a major water transportation route. The Platte flows in a large arc, east-southeast to near Fort Kearny and then east-northeast, across Nebraska south of Grand Island (Grand Island, Nebraska) and on to Columbus (Columbus, Nebraska). Map of Nebraska Rivers Accessed 1 Sep 2011 The Platte River is joined from the north by the about long Loup River


Tula, Russia

''' - Torta Tre Monti This flat, rolling country, with Moscow as its center, forms a major industrial region. Besides Moscow, major cities include Smolensk, Yaroslavl, Vladimir, Tula (Tula, Russia), Dzerzhinsk (Dzerzhinsk, Russia), and Rybinsk. Trucks, ships, railway rolling stock, machine tools, electronic equipment, cotton and woolen textiles, and chemicals are the principal industrial products. The Volga (Volga River) and Oka Rivers are the major water routes, and the Moscow–Volga and Don (Don River (Russia))–Volga canals link Moscow with the Caspian (Caspian Sea) and Baltic Seas. Many rail lines serve the area Russia. The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-07 . Cities of Bryansk, Moscow, and Serpukhov are the centers of car-building industry. Trains and train cars are manufactured in Kolomna, Lyudinovo, and Murom. Rybinsk is a shipbuilding center of the region. Tractors and other agricultural machinery are produced in Bezhetsk, Lyubertsy, Ryazan, Tula (Tula, Russia), and Vladimir. Their progenitor, Demid Antufiev, was a free blacksmith from Tula (Tula, Russia), where their family necropolis is preserved as a museum. His son Nikita Demidov (March 26, 1656 - November 17, 1725) made his fortune by his skill in the manufacture of weapons, and established an iron foundry for the government. Peter the Great (Peter I of Russia), with whom he was a favorite, ennobled him in 1720. For two centuries, the Demidov plants produced a large portion of Russia's iron and steel. The Palace of Westminster was one of many notable buildings constructed of Demidov metal products. Life and work Natalia Goncharova was born in Nagaevo village near Tula (Tula, Russia), Russia in 1881. She studied sculpture at the Moscow Academy of Art, but turned to painting in 1904. She was deeply inspired by the primitive (primitivism) aspects of Russian folk art and attempted to emulate it in her own work while incorporating elements of fauvism and cubism. Together with her husband Mikhail Larionov she first developed Rayonism. They were the main progenitors of the pre-Revolution Russian avant-garde organising the Donkey's Tail exhibition of 1912 and showing with the Der Blaue Reiter in Munich the same year. Taking part in Operation Barbarossa it was attached to the German 4th Army and took part in a number of actions against isolated Soviet formations at Minsk, Smolensk and Bryansk. It was then sent to support Guderians Panzer Army near Tula (Tula, Russia). The division lost most of its vehicles and many killed and captured during the retreat from Moscow (Battle of Moscow) at Mordves, south of Kashira in the Moscow oblast. Белов П. А. За нами Москва. — М.: Воениздат, 1963. In 1942 it spent the first 6 months in action near Orel (Oryol) and then in July 1942 was assigned to the German 6th Army as part of Army Group South. By August 1942 it was near Stalingrad and took part in the bitter battles in the Southern part of that city. Early years Ethnically Belarusian, Alyaksandr Malinovsky was born into a rural teacher's family. While working on his medical degree at Moscow University, he was arrested for joining the paramilitary revolutionary group, ''Narodnaya Volya (Narodnaya Volya (organization))''. He was briefly exiled to Tula (Tula, Russia). He resumed his medical studies at the University of Kharkiv (Ukraine), where he became involved in revolutionary activities and published his "Brief course of economic science" in 1897. In 1899, he graduated as a medical doctor, and published his next work, "Basic elements of the historical perspective on nature". He was arrested by the Tsar's police, spent six months in prison, and was exiled to Vologda. page 118, accessed: 14 November 2008 ** Transliteration: V Tulu so svoim samovarom (ne yezdyat). ** Translation: (Do not come) to Tula (w:Tula, Russia) with your own samovar (w:Samovar). ** Swedish equivalent: Do not cross the brook for water.


Superior, Wisconsin

. The racial makeup of the city was 91.5% White (White (U.S. Census)), 1.4% African American (African American (U.S. Census)), 2.6% Native American (Native American (U.S. Census)), 1.2% Asian (Asian (U.S. Census)), 0.2% from other races (Race (U.S. Census)), and 3.1% from two or more races. Hispanic (Hispanic (U.S. Census)) or Latino (Latino (U.S. Census)) of any race were 1.4% of the population. There were 11,670 households of which 28.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.2% were married couples (Marriage) living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.9% were non-families. 34.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.84. The median age in the city was 35.4 years. 21.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 13.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26% were from 25 to 44; 25.9% were from 45 to 64; and 13.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female. 2000 census As of the 2000 census (2000 United States Census), there were 27,368 people, 11,609 households, and 6,698 families residing in the city. The population density was 740.9 people per square mile (286.1 km²). There were 12,196 housing units at an average density of 330.2 per square mile (127.5 km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.26% White (White (U.S. Census)), 0.68% Black (African American (U.S. Census)) or African American (Race (United States Census)), 2.23% Native American (Native American (U.S. Census)), 0.84% Asian (Asian (U.S. Census)), 0.04% Pacific Islander (Pacific Islander (U.S. Census)), 0.26% from other races (Race (United States Census)), and 1.69% from two or more races. 0.83% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 15.8% were of German (germans), 13.6% Norwegian (norwegians), 10.9% Swedish (swedish people), 9.3% Irish (irish people), 7.2% Polish (poles), 6.9% Finnish (finns) and 5.3% American ancestry according to the 2000 census (2000 United States Census). There were 11,609 households out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.3% were married couples (Marriage) living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.3% were non-families. 34.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.91. The city's median household income was $31,921, and the median family income was $41,093. Males had a median income of $33,712 versus $22,073 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,253. 13.4% of the population and 9.6% of families were below the poverty line. 16.0% of those under the age of 18 and 7.8% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line. In the city, the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 12.9% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.8 males. Economy thumb 250px Douglas County Courthouse (Wisconsin) Douglas County Courthouse (File:2009-0617-Superior-DouglasCtyCourt.jpg). The transportation industry accounts for more than 1,000 jobs. The Duluth–Superior port, the largest in the Great Lakes, welcomes both domestic and foreign vessels. Bulk solids (such as grain) make up much of the tonnage handled by the port, and the silos of such port facilities are visible on the Superior waterfront. In 2004, the port’s busiest year since 1979, more than 41.4 million metric tons were shipped out of the port. Burlington Northern Railroad has an operations hub in Superior. Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P. operates an extensive refinery in Superior, providing hundreds of jobs to the community. The refinery is located along an important pipeline connecting Western


Jhelum

The Majhi dialect, the dialect of the historical region of Majha, which spans the Lahore, Faisalabad, Sheikhupura, Kasur, Okara (Okara, Pakistan), Gujranwala, Wazirabad, Sialkot, Narowal, Gujrat and to some extant in Jhelum District of Pakistani Punjab and Amritsar, Tarn Taran Sahib, and Gurdaspur Districts of the Indian State of Punjab (Punjab (India)). ; Potwari (Potwari language) : This dialect is spoken in north-western Pakistan. mainly The area where Pothowari (Pothohari language) is spoken extends in the north from Muzaffarabad to as far south as Jhelum, Gujar Khan and Rawalpindi. phr 49,440 (2000 WCD). Murree Hills north of Rawalpindi, and east to Bhimber. Poonchi is east of Rawalakot. Potwari is in the plains around Rawalpindi. Alternate names: Potwari, Pothohari, Potohari (Potwari language), Chibhali, Dhundi-Kairali. Dialects: Pahari (Potwari language) (Dhundi-Kairali), Potohari (Potwari language) , Chibhali, Punchhi (Poonchi), Jhelumi, Mirpuri. Pahari literally translates as 'mountain' referring to a string of divergent dialects, some of which may be separate languages. Lexical similarity 76% to 83% among varieties called 'Pahari', 'Potwari', and some called 'Hindko' in Mansehra, Muzaffarabad, and Jammu. Classification: Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northern zone, Western Pahari. * Islamabad and Rawalpindi, Pakistan * Jhelum and Sarai Alamgir, Pakistan * Guangzhou and Foshan, People's Republic of China ; Majhi (Majhi dialect) or Standard Punjabi : The Majhi dialect is Punjabi's prestige dialect and spoken in the heart of Punjab where most of the Punjabi population lives. The Majhi dialect is the dialect of the historical region of Majha, "Majhi" is a word used with reference to many other places and dialects in north India; these have


San Diego–Tijuana

, inlets, lagoons, and bays. These included the major water bodies known as: * Buena Vista Lagoon * Agua Hedionda Lagoon * Batiquitos Lagoon * San Elijo Lagoon * Mission Bay (Mission Bay (San Diego)) * San Diego Bay * Tijuana River Estuary Populace


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017