image_caption Aerial photo of Lead image_flag flag_size image_seal seal_size image_shield shield_size image_blank_emblem blank_emblem_type blank_emblem_size image_map Lawrence_County_South_Dakota_Incorporated_and_Unincorporated_areas_Lead_Highlighted.svg mapsize 250px map_caption Location in Lawrence
GNIS feature ID blank1_info 1265276
, but innovations such as the use of lead-free glazing and a communal crafts market have been implemented to improve the craft's prospects.
" Atzompa has been a major producer of pottery since the Monte Alban period. Most of it at that time was the gray pottery typical of the surrounding area although there is a greater diversity of shapes, including jaguar heads and eagle claws. After the Spanish conquest, Santa Maria was added to its native name of Atzompa ("high water mark" in Nahuatl), and lead glazing techniques were introduced
in the 16th century. In the mid 20th century, Atzompa was the main producer of ceramics for the region, and its products were shipped to all parts of Mexico and exported to the United States. However, concerns about the lead content in the glaze pummeled the Mexican pottery market.
of this growth is likely due to the enrollment increase of the University of Wisconsin–Platteville. It is the principal city of the Platteville Micropolitan Statistical area which has an estimated population of 49,681. History Platteville was a small farming and fur trading community along the Platte River, from which the town got its name. In the 1820s, lead ore or Galena was discovered in the area, a mining boom took the area by storm. The mining district encompassed
a significant portion of southwest Wisconsin. More specifically, the counties of Grant, Iowa, Lafayette, and Jo Davies County (Illinois) played a major role in the mining of lead and zinc ore. The Galena, Illinois mining district, an area south of Platteville, had been known to many for years. Nesbit, Robert. ''Wisconsin A History''. 2nd ed. The University of Wisconsin Press: Madison, 1989. Beginning in 1825, lead prices saw a dramatic boost and the Platteville economy
flourished. Nesbit, 96. The "grey gold" (a common nickname for lead ore) was brought development of businesses and schools. Platteville's landscape was shaped by the mining that helped build the town, and mineral holes abounded everywhere. Fatzinger, 16. By the 1849s lead ore production was decreasing. However, the mining of zinc ore quickly filled the void for prospective work. Platteville was now an established town, complete with schools
the camp with so many falling ill that tents were erected to quarantine the stricken. In 1876, General George Crook (George Crook) pursued the Sioux Indians from the Battle of Little Big Horn on an expedition that ended in Deadwood and is known as the Horsemeat March. The Homestake Mine (Homestake Mine (South Dakota)) in nearby Lead (Lead, South Dakota) was established in 1877. For years, it was the longest continuously operating gold mine in the United States. Gold mining
resident J.K.P. Miller and his associates in 1888, in order to serve their mining interests in the Black Hills. The railroad was purchased by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1893. A portion of the railroad between Deadwood and Lead (Lead, South Dakota) was electrified (railway electrification) in 1902 for operation as an interurban passenger system, which operated until 1924. The railroad was abandoned in 1930, apart from a portion from Kirk, South Dakota Kirk
Lead (Lead, South Dakota), SD – Terry Peak and Deer Mountain (Mystic Miner Ski Resort). The Midnight Star casino in Deadwood is owned by American film actor Kevin Costner, who had directed and starred in the 1990 Academy Award-winning film ''Dances With Wolves'', which was filmed mainly in South Dakota. International versions of many of his films' posters line its walls. Climate Deadwood's climate varies considerably from the rest of the state and surrounding areas
'''Broken Hill''', it was founded when lead and zinc deposits were discovered in 1902. Kabwe also has a claim to being the birthplace of Zambian politics as it was an important political centre during the colonial period. The Times of Zambia online , website accessed 8 March 2007: "Kabwe: the nucleus of national politics" by Kelvin Kachingwe. It is an important
transportation and mining centre. Broken Hill Mine and its legacy of pollution The name '''''Kabwe''''' or ''Kabwe-Ka Mukuba'' means 'ore' or 'smelting' but the European Australian prospectors named it Broken Hill after a similar mine in Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia. The mine was the largest in the country for around thirty years until it was overtaken in the early 1930s by larger copper mining complexes on the Copperbelt. Apart from lead
² site 1 km south-west of the town centre, is closed but metals are still extracted from old tailings. A study by the Blacksmith Institute found Kabwe to be one of the ten most polluted places in the world due mostly to heavy metal (mostly zinc and lead) tailings making their way into the local water supply. The Blacksmith Institute website accessed 1 March 2007. Headquarters of Zambia Railways
unmistakably to the conclusion that a sanguinary battle had been fought here at sometime. Inside of the walls, while plowing, we found great quantities of lead that had been melted, and also an immense Indian Axe of solid stone, perfect in form, save that the handle had been broken off. This was a very interesting relic, and affords room for much thought and conjecture, as it was of extraordinary size, and uncommon shape, being four times as large as anything of the kind we had ever seen
it could have been utilized. It remained in my father's possession for many years, he always having refused to dispose of it, though frequently urged to do so, and it finally very mysteriously disappeared, and we could never get any trace of it." "About four miles above this spot, one Joshua Chandler found a piece, or rather a slab, of lead of peculiar shape, and singularly situated. It was found about under what appeared to be the virgin soil, which had been some
distance from the river bank, but the wash and caving for many years had reached it, and when found its edge was alone discernible, protruding from the washed bank. Upon excavating it, he found it to be a slab of lead, smooth on the faces and edges, about 8 by in size, 2 inches thick, and weighing exactly 77 pounds. I remember the weight distinctly, as Chandler carried it to Little Rock and sold it to Joseph Henderson, a merchant, who was a brother-in-law
in the extreme. The pipe was mined in prehistoric times but those ancient workers barely scratched the surface. Most of the ore was removed in the 20th century by cut-and-fill methods. The ore was polymetallic and from it copper, lead, silver, gold, arsenic and germanium were won. There was also a fair amount of zinc present but the recovery of this metal was always difficult for technical reasons. The pipe was famous for its richness. Many millions of tonnes of ore
of spectacular grade were removed. A good percentage of the ore (called "direct smelting ore") was so rich that it was sent straight to the smelter situated near the town without first having to be processed through the mineral enrichment plant. The '''Tsumeb mine''' is also renowned amongst mineral collectors. Between 1905 and 1996, the mine produced about 30 million tons of ore yielding 1.7 Mt copper, 2.8 Mt lead 0.9 Mt zinc, as well as 80 t germanium.
Melcher, F. year 2003 title The Otavi Mountain Land in Namibia: Tsumeb, germanium and snowball earth. journal Mitteilungen der Österreichischen Mineralogischen Gesellschaft volume 148 pages 413–435 The average ore grade was 10% Pb, 4.3% Cu, 3.5% Zn, 100 ppm Ag, 50 ppm Ge.
: Truck Driving, Heavy Equipment Operation, Computer Technology, and Computer-Based Office Training. The Jump Start programs are non-accredited programs that are designed to quickly prepare its graduates for new careers. PIA Jump Start programs are offered at training centers in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania; Nutter Fort, West Virginia; Weirton, West Virginia; and Dunbar, West Virginia. History Rob Parissi (lead vocals & guitar) was raised in the steel mill town of Mingo
lineup included: Ben Difabbio (drums and vocals), Louie Osso (guitar, lead and background vocals) from Steubenville, Ohio, Larry Brown (bass, lead and background vocals) from Weirton, West Virginia, Larry Mader (keyboards, lead and background vocals) from East Springfield, Ohio, and Rob Parissi (lead vocals and guitar). Over time, the band members changed, with Osso, Brown, and Mader leaving the band, and Rob's cousin, Coogie Stoddart (guitar, lead and background vocals
in Jordan (Al-Hesa). * Harb, a large tribe, centered around Medina, but also extending northwards towards Tabuk (Tabuk, Saudi Arabia) and eastwards towards Al-Qassim. * Hareeb 100 Miles South of Marib in Yemen. In 630 Muhammad decided to lead an expedition to Tabuk (Tabuk, Saudi Arabia) on the Syrian border. In order to finance the expedition Muhammad invited contributions from his followers. Uthman made the largest contribution: 1,000 dinars in cash
, Saudi Arabia Tabuk . By the end of the War, 72 successful TIALD missions had been flown. After the war, the Sqn continued its peacetime training role at RAF Honington as well as taking part in Operation Jural, the monitoring of a No-Fly Zone (Iraqi no-fly zones) in the South of Iraq below the 32nd parallel north. Ahead of Operation GRANBY (Operation Granby) in 1990 and the first Gulf War, the squadron deployed to Tabuk (Tabuk, Saudi Arabia) airbase. No. 16 was the lead
; the news, however, proved to be false. Though it was not a battle (battle of Tabouk) in the typical sense, nevertheless the event, if it actually occurred, would have represented the first Arab attack on the Byzantines. It did not, however, lead immediately to a military confrontation. "Muhammad", ''Late Antiquity''; Butler (2007), 145 However, there is no contemporary Byzantine account of the Tabuk expedition, and many of the details come from much later Muslim
around the mining operations there. Titanium (ilmenite) extraction was significant, as well as that of zircon and rutile. ''Florida's Minerals'' These minerals were recovered from beach sands by a private commercial firm called National Lead Company, directed by Henry Holland Buckman and George A. Pritchard. During World War I titanium was a component of poison gas, and therefore
a strategic mineral. After the war, mineral demand dropped, so the National Lead Company changed its focus to building a resort community. The name of the community was changed to Ponte Vedra, apparently after the city of Pontevedra, Galicia (Galicia (Spain)), (Spain). The actual reason is unknown, but there was a rumor that one of the developers read a newspaper article that erroneously claimed Christopher Columbus was born there.
visitorinfo history.cfm title History of Ponte Vedra Beach thumb right 300px A stream running through Ponte Vedra to the St. Johns (File:PonteVderaStream.jpg) Ponte Vedra Club In the early 1920s, the National Lead Company had built a 9-hole golf course and 12-room clubhouse constructed of logs for the use of their employees. "Ponte Vedra Inn & Club"