river, part of a cobblestone road which leads to the city park has been preserved. Along a city part of Warsaw highway (Bolshaya Serpukhovskaya and a part of Lenin avenue) merchant houses of the beginning of the XIX century can be seen. The largest part of a museum “Podolye” (ph. (27) 69 92 39, Lenin avenue, 47) is devoted to Lenin who spent several months living in Podolsk. Besides objects that were held once in hands of the leader of world proletariat, there are a few photos and documents, devoted to the life of the city in the beginning of the XX century. There is a Local History museum in Podolsk (PH. (27) 57 47 31, Parkovaya, 1), it is located on the outskirts of the city in manor Ivanovo, which belonged to manufacturer Bakhrushin. In an exposition there is a standard museum assortment, except for maybe a tusk of the mammoth. Instead, articles made out of bone in the early Iron Age are presented. The most significant part of the exposition is a collection of Singer sewing machines. In the same building the Museum of vocational training (TECHNICAL TRAINING COLLEGE) is located. The most interesting part is a hall where the products, made by pupils of the TTCs from all over the country, are exposed. Do Buy Eat '''Apriori''' Restaurant - Kl. Gotvalda 8, ph. (495) 540 50 40 '''Nihon''' (Chinese, Japanese cuisine)- Chehova 6, ph. (4967) 68 10 68 Drink Sleep Connect Go next WikiPedia:Podolsk
money - you can negotiate with the driver to get one by yourself. If you want to travel with children you should consider that the "grands taxis" often are without seat-belts. They arrive and depart near the train station in the Ville Nouvelle. See * '''Medina Walls''' - a very beautiful promenade is the way around the Medina walls. Along the route around the Medina there are some points with a beautiful view on the surrounding valleys. The largest part of the fortification walls has been built in medieval times under the Almohades. But the Merinides and Saadites have added and reinforced. Nowadays part of the ancient Medina walls has crumbled. The city tries to start reconstruction. The works however progress slowly because of a lack of financial means. * '''Tour Es-Sarragine''' - while strolling around the western part of the Medina walls you will come across the Tour Es-Sarragine, the so-called Saracen tower. From here you have a pleasant view on the Middle Atlas. The tower, unfortunately crumbling, has a curious construction: square at the base, and round at the top. The adjacent fortifications date from Almohade times. * '''The Gates of Taza-Haut''' - from the Bab Er Rih ("Gate of the winds"), above the Medina, you have a beautiful view over the whole valley and the olive groves below. On one side you see the Middle Atlas and on the other the Rif-Mountains. As the name indicates it might be a bit windy at times, but in the summer-time that's a welcome refreshment. Apart from the most famous gate at the Medina, the Bab Er Rih, you will find other gates from where you can have a splendid view around. One of them is the Bab Zitouna. * '''Ville Nouvelle''' - in the less touristic quarters in the Ville Nouvelle at Taza-Bas you will find mostly new buildings and little houses. Though the buildings are nothing extraordinary, you can sometimes find a house "in the making" and get an idea about construction works in Morocco. * WikiPedia:Taza
Category:Populated places in Tozeur Governorate Category:Oases of Tunisia Category:Communes of Tunisia * Timimoun, Algeria * Tozeur, Tunisia * Tuat, Algeria Aviation As of 2002, Tunisia had 30 airports including several international airports. The most important one is the Tunis-Carthage International Airport but other significant airports serve Sfax, Houmt Souk, Monastir (Monastir, Tunisia), Tozeur and Tabarka. Tunisair is the national airline. All of the scenes set in Egypt were filmed in Tunisia, and the canyon where Indiana threatens to blow up the Ark was shot in Sidi Bouhlel, just outside of Tozeur. The Making of Raiders of The Lost Ark by Derek Taylor,1981,Ballantine Books. The location was previously used in the Tatooine scenes from 1977's ''Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope'', since many people in the location crew were the same for both films. Notably, that canyon was exactly the same location where R2-D2 was attacked by Jawas (List of Star Wars races (F-J)#Jawa). The Tanis scenes were filmed in nearby Sedala and it was a harsh experience due to the heat and disease. Several members of the cast and crew fell ill; Rhys-Davies in particular defecated in his costume during one shot. Spielberg averted diseases by only eating canned foods from England, but did not like the area and quickly pushed forward a scheduled six-week shoot to four-and-a-half weeks. Much was improvised there: the scene where Marion puts on her dress and attempts to leave Belloq's tent was improvised, as was the entire plane fight. During shooting of that scene, Ford tore his cruciate ligament in his left leg as a wheel went over his knee, but he did not accept local medical help and simply put ice over it. The fight scenes in the town were filmed in Kairouan; by then Ford was suffering from dysentery and did not want to film a lengthy fight scene in which Indiana uses his whip to fight off a swordsman. He said to Spielberg "
, Ontario Elgin County on the south, and Chatham-Kent and Lambton County on the west. The seat is the city of London (London, Ontario), although the city is politically independent (Independent city) from the county. The Middlesex census division, which consists of the county together with the City of London and three Native reserves, had a population of 439,151 in 2011, making it Canada's 16th largest. Part of the county is also included in the London census metropolitan area. Subdivisions Middlesex County is composed of eight incorporated municipalities: Townships and villages: *Adelaide Metcalfe, Township **Communities: Adelaide, Crathie, Dejong, Kerwood, Keyser, Mullifarry, Napier, Napperton, Springfield, Walkers and Wrightmans Corners. *Lucan Biddulph, Township **Communities: Biddulph, Clandeboye, Granton, Lucan. *Middlesex Centre, Municipality of (Middlesex Centre) **Communities: Arva, Ballymote, Birr, Bryanston, Coldstream, Delaware, Denfield, Duncrief, Elginfield, Ettrick, Ilderton, Ivan, Kilworth, Komoka, Littlewood, Lobo, Lobo Siding, Maple Grove, Melrose, Poplar Hill, Sharon, Southgate, Southwold, Telfer and Vanneck. *Newbury (Newbury, Ontario), Village *North Middlesex, Municipality of (North Middlesex, Ontario) (township) **Communities:Ailsa Craig, Beechwood, Bornish, Bowood, Brinsley, Carlisle, Corbett, Greenway, Hungry Hollow, Lieury, Moray, Mount Carmel, Nairn, Parkhill, Sable, Springbank, Sylvan and West McGillivray. *Southwest Middlesex, Municipality of (Southwest Middlesex, Ontario) (township) **Communities: Appin, Ekfrid, Glencoe, Lewis Corners, Macksville, Mayfair, Newbury Station, North Appin Station, North Ekfrid, North Glencoe Station, Riverside, Strathburn, Tate Corners, Wardsville and Woodgreen. *Strathroy-Caradoc, Township of (Strathroy-Caradoc) **Communities: Cairngorm, Campbellvale, Caradoc, Christina, Falconbridge, Glen Oak, Longwood, Melbourne, Mount Brydges, Muncey and Strathroy. *Thames Centre, Municipality of (township) **Communities: Avon, Belton, Cherry Grove, Crampton, Cobble Hill, Derwent, Devizes, Dorchester, Evelyn, Fanshawe Lake, Friendly Corners, Gladstone, Harrietsville, Kelly Station, Mossley, Nilestown, Oliver, Plover Mills, Putnam, Salmonville, Silvermoon, Thorndale, Three Bridges and Wellburn. First Nations reserves located within the Middlesex census division but separate from Middlesex County: *Chippewas of the Thames 42 (Chippewas of the Thames First Nation 42, Ontario) *Munsee-Delaware 1 (Munsee-Delaware Nation 1, Ontario) *Oneida 41 (Oneida Nation of the Thames). Demographics Historic population: * 2011: 70,796 (5-year growth rate: 2.6%) * 2006: 69,024 (5-year growth rate: 3.6%) * 2001: 66,646 (5-year growth rate: 4.2%) * 1996: 63,947 The demographics below are for the Middlesex census division which includes the politically separate City of London (London, Ontario) and the three First Nations reserves. In 1838, he settled in London Township (London, Ontario) and established a wool carding mill there. In 1851, he was elected to represent Middlesex (Middlesex County, Ontario) in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada; he was reelected in East Middlesex in 1863. He was elected to the federal parliament in 1867 and 1874 but, in 1874, he was unseated after his election was protested. Willson was also a director of the London Mutual Fire Insurance Company. ''The History of the County of Middlesex, Canada'', Danel Brook & Muriel Moon He was born in County Wicklow in Ireland in 1793 and came to York (Toronto) in 1820. He worked with John Ewart (John Ewart (architect)) as a master carpenter on a number of construction projects, including the new parliament buildings at York. He moved to London, Ontario in 1832. He invested in property and built a gristmill on the Thames River (Thames River (Ontario)) there in 1833. He was also involved in projects to establish a railway link to the city and improve navigation on the Thames below London. In 1834, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada for Middlesex (Middlesex County, Ontario); he was reelected in 1836. In 1838, with other Reformers (Reform Party (pre-Confederation)) unhappy with the political environment of the time, he was involved in a project to plan the development of a settlement in Iowa; this project did not advance much further than initial planning. In 1839, he was a co-founder of the ''Canada Inquirer'', later the ''London Inquirer'', a reform-oriented newspaper. He was appointed justice of the peace in the London District (London District, Upper Canada) in 1840. He supported the union of Upper and Lower Canada and, in 1841, was elected to the 1st Parliament of the Province of Canada. In the same year, he was appointed surveyor general, serving until 1845, when the office was abolished. He then was named customs collector at Port Colborne (Port Colborne, Ontario); he was named to the same post at Port Dalhousie (St Catharines (St. Catharines, Ontario)) in 1860. He was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts in 1780 and settled in the Long Point area in 1797. He apprenticed himself to surveyor William Hambly. In 1805, he became sheriff for the London District (London District, Upper Canada). He served as captain in the local militia during the War of 1812. In 1817, his family became the first settlers in the Kettle Creek (Kettle Creek (Ontario)) area. He officially qualified as a surveyor in 1819. In 1820, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada for Middlesex (Middlesex County, Ontario). He built a small warehouse and established himself as a merchant at Kettle Creek harbour, later Port Stanley (Port Stanley, Ontario). In 1829, he was named justice of the peace in the London District. In 1834, he was named customs collector at Port Stanley and continued to serve in that post until 1844. He died at Port Stanley in 1849.
(Category:Postojna) Category:Populated places in the Municipality of Postojna Category:Cities and towns in Inner Carniola With the share of over 80%, the road freight and passenger transport constitutes the largest part of transport in Slovenia.
Vinh, Vietnam Although the civil war was over, Gia Long decided to add to the two citadels that had been built under the supervision of French officers. Gia Long was convinced of their effectiveness and during his 18-year reign, a further 11 citadels were built throughout the country. The majority were built in the Vauban style, with pentagonal or hexagonal geometry, while a minority, including the one in Hue, were built in a four-sided traditional Chinese design. The fortresses were built at Vinh, Thanh Hoa, Bac Ninh, Ha Tinh, Thai Nguyen and Hai Duong in the north, Hue, Quang Ngai, Khanh Hoa and Binh Dinh in the centre, and Vinh Long in the Mekong Delta. Construction was at its most intense in the early phase of Gia Long's reign—only one of the 11 were built in the last six years of his rule. Mantienne, p. 526. De Puymanel and Lebrun left Vietnam before the end of the war, so the forts were designed by Vietnamese engineers who oversaw the construction. The position of Citadel Supervision Officer was created under the Ministry of War and made responsible for the work, underlining the importance that Gia Long placed on fortifications. Mantienne, p. 528. Gia Long's fortifications program was marred by accusations that the people labored all day and part of the night in all weather conditions, Buttinger, pp. 281, 316. and that as a direct consequence, land went fallow. Complaints of mandarin corruption and oppressive taxation were often levelled at his government. Following his coronation, Gia Long drastically reduced his naval fleet and by the 1810s, only two of the European-style vessels were still in service. The downsizing of the navy was mainly attributed to budgetary constraints caused by heavy spending on fortifications and transport infrastructure such as roads, dykes and canals. However, in 1819, a new phase of shipbuilding was launched, with Gia Long personally supervising the dockyards. In response to the Gulf of Tonkin Incident when the USS ''Maddox'' (USS Maddox (DD-731)) of the United States Navy engaged North Vietnamese ships, sustaining light damage Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (New York: Doubleday, 2007), p. 241. as it gathered electronic intelligence while in the international waters of the Gulf of Tonkin, U.S.President (President of the United States) Lyndon B. Johnson ordered Operation "Pierce Arrow" which was conducted on August 5. The operation consisted of 64 strike sorties from the aircraft carriers ''Ticonderoga'' (USS Ticonderoga (CV-14)) and ''Constellation'' (USS Constellation (CV-64)) against the torpedo boat bases of Hon Gai, Loc Chao, Quang Khe, and Ben Thuy, and the oil storage depot at Vinh. The U.S. lost two aircraft to anti-aircraft fire, with one pilot killed and another, Ensign Everett Alvarez Jr. Interview with Everett Alvarez, 1981 an A-4 Skyhawk pilot, becoming the first U.S. Prisoner of War in Vietnam. Pilots estimated they destroyed 90 percent of the petroleum storage facility at Vinh together with the destruction of or damage to 25 P-4 (P 4 class torpedo boat) torpedo boats. In 1925, Banque de Paris et des Pays-Bas, Banque de l'Indochine, Banque Lazard and the Chinese government established the '''Banque Franco-Chinoise pour le Commerce et l’Industrie''' (BFCCI) to take over the assets of the '''Banque Industrielle de Chine''' (est. 1913). The Bank established offices in Peking (Beijing), Shanghai and Teinstsin (Tianjin). It also established offices in North Vietnam (Hanoi and Haiphong), in Central Vietnam (Vinh, Huë (Huế), Tourane (Da Nang) (Da Nang) and Qui Nhơn), South Vietnam (Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)), and Cambodia (Phnom Penh). By 1939, only the Hanoi, Saigon and Phnom Penh branches remained in French Indochina. At the same time, the bank had three offices in France (Paris, Lyon and Marseille). Chau met with his wife only once more following the divorce: when he was pardoned and released from Hỏa Lò prison (Hoa Lo prison) more than two decades later. He was then sent to a loose form of house arrest in Huế and the train stopped at Vinh, Nghệ An, Vietnam (Nghe An Province). On the way, his wife said, “I am very happy. From now on, my only wish is that you will hold to your initial aspiration. Do whatever you like, and do not worry about your wife and children.” While Chau was living out his final
physical protection and humanitarian assistance. In this context, one of the first humanitarian agencies to arrive in the Province of Huambo was the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) (1979). In 1984 the conflict escalated dramatically, and so did displacement into towns. A major relief operation was launched in the capitals of the Central Plateau and in a good number of the municipalities still accessible by plane. By then the largest part of the roads were controlled by UNITA and heavily mined. In May 1991 a peace agreement was reached between the MPLA and UNITA. United Nations agencies and NGOs progressively moved in between mid-1991 and 1992. The situation gradually improved and general elections were called for in September 1992. But trouble set off as soon as the results of the polls were disseminated. Unrest arrived to Huambo very rapidly, as UNITA considered the Province in a way as their political shrine. They concentrated in the town most of their leaders and a large section of their troops soon after the defeat in the elections was made public. The city would still be formally under the control of the MPLA government, but tension progressively built-up due to increasing violent actions. By the end of 1992 all foreign aid agencies had withdrawn from Huambo. UNITA took full control of the town in the course of a horrendous street-to-street battles that started just after Christmas 1992 and reached its climax by mid-January in the following year. Violent combats in and around Huambo continued still for 55 days, until the MPLA Government troops retired and UNITA gained full control of the city. Most other cities in the Central Plateau were occupied too by UNITA at the time. The armed conflict flared up again in August 1994. A large offensive gave back to the Government the control of Huambo on 9 November, and soon after all other provincial capitals. The UNITA headquarters was then moved to Jamba in the province of Kuando Kubango. The war ended formally on November 20, 1994 with the signature of the Lusaka Protocol. To a great extent this step meant a move towards normalcy, and was received in Huambo with moderate optimism. UNITA moved again its headquarters soon after signing the protocol, this time to Bailundo, some 50 km north of the provincial capital. This relocation raised serious concerns among most observers. By 1995 free transit of people and goods was quite re-established in the Province. By the end of the year the United Nations peacekeepers (UNAVEM III) had been deployed too in Huambo, following the provisions of the Lusaka peace protocol. 1996 and 1997 were years of relative improvement of the living conditions of civilians in Huambo, although return movements were only moderate, reconstruction slow and commercial activities didn’t regain their past vigor. After the United Nations Security Council enforced sanctions against UNITA (29 October 1997) because of delays in the implementation of the Lusaka protocol and reluctance to demilitarize and turn over its strongholds, insecurity in Huambo increased gradually, especially in the second half of 1998. In early December the Government launched an offensive aimed at taking the last strongholds held by UNITA in Huambo and Kuito, this new war outbreak soon extending to other regions of the country. Huge population displacements started once again from the rural areas to Huambo, Kuito and Caala. Large camps of internally displaced people were then installed in these cities as the Humanitarian Community was forced to retire out of UNITA-controlled areas, withdrawing completely by the end of the year and concentrating in Huambo, Caala and, later, Ukuma. The security situation got extremely volatile. As Huambo and other major towns in the Plateau were being shelled from Bailundo and other positions still in possession of UNITA, two C-130 Hercules (Lockheed C-130 Hercules) aircraft chartered by the United Nations with 23 people on board were shot down over Vila Nova (Dec. 26, 1998 and Jan. 2, 1999), as they were trying to evacuate to Luanda the last remains of the UNAVEM III mission in Huambo. The Government retook the town of Bailundo in October 1999. Londuimbali, Vila Nova and some other large towns in the Province were already under the rule of the Government, and in December 1999 the administration of the state had been reestablished in all municipal capitals. In this period the conventional war that the Province had known gave way to guerrilla warfare, UNITA still controlling most rural areas and randomly striking military or police installations of the Government, and often civilian communities too. The exodus of civilians into Huambo and Caala experienced a new boom. In early 2000 there were over 25,000 displaced people in the village of Caala, and over 40,000 in Huambo town. As international sanctions tightened around UNITA, their military actions in Huambo got more frequent and destructive, reaching a peak of violence by the end of 2000. In October 2001 the Government launched a renewed offensive against UNITA from the North and the South of the Province, combining this time strict military action with what were known as ''operações de limpeça'', literally, cleansing operations which consisted in removing from rural areas large groups of population which were subsequently forced into a few, specific concentration points. The idea behind this strategy was depriving the guerrilla of the potential support it may still find in the villages they formerly controlled in the bush, making their natural habitat unlivable. In the short term this resulted in renewed pressure over available resources in safe areas of the Province, and in many cases in the death by starvation of groups trapped by the conflict or impeded to reach any of those zones. This point probably represents the climax in the hardship the rural civilian population went through in the Province of Huambo for the duration of the war. After the Civil War thumb right 200px Huambo, Angola (File:IAA_campus_view.jpg) The death of Jonas Savimbi in February 2002 and the subsequent signature of a new cease-fire brought back tranquility to the Province and set the conditions for the present ongoing peace process and the beginning of an era of development. The advent of peace brought a new era of reconstruction and regeneration. Climate Huambo features a subtropical highland climate, with a wet season from October through April and a dry season between May and September. Despite its location in the tropics, due to its high altitude, Huambo features spring-like temperatures throughout the course of the year, a characteristic common among cities with this climate. The city sees plentiful precipitation during the course of the year, averaging nearly 1500 mm of rain. Temperatures in Huambo are only slightly higher than in city of Pretoria located almost 2000 km further south-east. Wikipedia:Huambo
-Hungarian traveller Felix Philipp Kanitz '''North Thrace''' or '''Northern Thrace''' ( WikiPedia:Kazanlak Dmoz:Regional Europe Bulgaria Provinces Stara_Zagora Localities Kazanlak Commons:Category:Kazanlak
northeast of York (York, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. York is a community south of Hamilton (Hamilton, Ontario) near Caledonia (Caledonia, Ontario). Before 1998, Toronto proper was a much smaller municipality and formed part of the regional district of Metropolitan Toronto. When the city amalgamated that year, Toronto absorbed the former municipalities of York (York, Ontario), East York, North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough (Scarborough, Ontario). Each of these former municipalities still maintains a certain distinctness, and residents still use the names of these municipalities. The area known as Toronto before the amalgamation is sometimes called the Central District or simply "Downtown". Logo Location York (York, Ontario) and North York (North York, Ontario) Region Toronto '''Humber River Regional Hospital''' is a major hospital serving the former cities of North York (North York, Ontario) and York (York, Ontario), Ontario. It operates from three sites: Other prominent women mayors in Canada have included June Rowlands and Barbara Hall in Toronto, True Davidson in the former Toronto suburb of East York, Frances Nunziata in York (York, Ontario), Dianne Haskett and Anne Marie DeCicco-Best in London (London, Ontario), Hazel McCallion in Mississauga, Marion Dewar and Jacquelin Holzman in Ottawa, Jan Reimer in Edmonton, Gretchen Brewin in Victoria (Victoria, British Columbia), Susan Fennell in Brampton, Jamie Lim in Timmins, Dorothy Wyatt in St. John's (St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador), Elsie Wayne in Saint John (Saint John, New Brunswick), Helen Cooper (Helen Cooper (Canadian politician)) in Kingston (Kingston, Ontario), Janice Laking in Barrie, Lorna Jackson in Vaughan (Vaughan, Ontario), Andrée Boucher in Quebec City, Dorothy Corrigan in Charlottetown, Moira Leiper Ducharme in Halifax (Halifax Urban Area), Susan Thompson in Winnipeg, Grace Hartman (Grace Hartman (politician)) and Marianne Matichuk in Sudbury (Greater Sudbury), Dusty Miller (Dusty Miller (mayor)) and Lynn Peterson in Thunder Bay, Ione Christensen, Kathy Watson (Kathy Watson (Canadian politician)) and Bev Buckway in Whitehorse (Whitehorse, Yukon), Elizabeth Kishkon in Windsor (Windsor, Ontario) and Elisapee Sheutiapik and Madeleine Redfern in Iqaluit. This arrangement lasted until 1998, when the regional level of government was abolished and the six municipalities (Toronto, Etobicoke, North York, East York, York