Places Known For

large part


Uxbridge, Ontario

in 1871, which connected Stouffville and Uxbridge (Uxbridge, Ontario) with Toronto. In 1877, a second track was built north to Jackson's Point (Jackson's Point, Ontario) on Lake Simcoe. These connections were created in large part to provide a reliable and efficient means of transporting timber harvested and milled in these regions. A Brief History of Whitchurch-Stouffville (Part 3), Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville

terminus at Coboconk, Ontario on Balsam Lake in the Kawarthas, was completed in 1872. Jean Barkey et al., Whitchurch Township (Erin, ON: Boston Mills, 1993), 97. In 1877, a second track was built from Stouffville north to Jackson's Point (Jackson's Point, Ontario) on Lake Simcoe. These connections were created in large part to provide a reliable and efficient means


Khulna

, it came under the Sena dynasty during the reign of Ballal Sena and formed part of the Bagri division of Bengal. During the 14th century, Shamsuddin Firoz Shah became the first Muslim ruler to arrive in the city. The Muslim settlements in the city increased during the time of Shamsuddin Ilyas Shah. Subsequently, many mosques and shrines began to be established. In the 15th century, a Muslim saint named Khan Jahan Ali acquired a Jaigir comprising a large part

of Czechoslovakia . Plot A large part of the story unfolds in Calcutta. Apu Roy (Soumitra Chatterjee) is an unemployed graduate living in a rented room in Calcutta. Despite his teacher's advice to go to university, he is unable to do so because he can't afford it. He tries to find a job, while barely getting by providing private tuition. His main passion is writing a novel, partially based on his own life, hoping to get it published some day. One day he

. On the bank of Rupsha (and Bhairav) river, it is known as the industrial city and located in southern part of Bangladesh. A large part of the Sundarbans, a UNESCO world heritage is located in Khulna. It has many Jute mills, the only newsprint mill and hardboard mill of Bangladesh, the only state-owned match factory (Dada match, later Dhaka match), Oxygen company (BOL), Ship yard. Khulna is the 3rd largest city in Bangladesh after Dhaka and Chittagong. It is a quiet, calm city inhabited by 1.5 million


Chengde

In 1793, after a largely fruitless diplomatic mission to Jehol (Chengde), a large part of Lord Macartney's embassy returned south to the Yangtze delta on the Grand Canal. Peyrefitte, Alan, ''The Collision of Two Civilisations'' (Harvill, 1993). During the Republic of China era, Outer Mongolia regained independence. There also existed Mongol rebellions in Inner Mongolia in the early era, Belov, E.A. Anti-Chinese rebellion led by Babujav

to the southeast, and Chengde prefecture of Hebei province to the south. The city has a total administrative area of and has a population of 4,341,245 inhabitants. As of the 2010 census, 1,094,970 of these residents reside within in the urban core districts of Hongshan, Yuanboshan and Songshan even though a large part of Songshan is still rural. The airline had a "hub (Airline hub)" in Hsinking and was linked by regular flight routes from


Prince-Bishopric of Liège

part of the First French Empire and before the new kingdom of Belgium split out in 1830. This state, a large part of which still exists today as the Kingdom of the Netherlands, was made up of the former Dutch Republic (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands) to the north, the former Austrian Netherlands to the south, plus the former Prince-Bishopric of Liège. The House of Orange-Nassau came to be the monarchs of this new state. Spain, during the burst of confidence after

and Germanic-speaking) bishoprics of Thérouanne (Ancient Diocese of Thérouanne), Cambrai (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cambrai), and Tournai (Roman Catholic Diocese of Tournai); a large part of the bilingual bishopric of Liège (Prince-Bishopric of Liège); the southernmost part of the Germanic-speaking bishopric of Utrecht (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Utrecht) (the part of that bishopric located south of the Meuse River; the rest of the bishopric north of the Meuse River belonged to the English nation). It was estimated that about half of the students in the Picard nation were Romance-speakers (Picard (Picard language) and Walloon (Walloon language)), and the other half were Germanic-speakers (West Flemish, East Flemish, Brabantian and Limburgish dialects). « Picard » et « Picardie », espace linguistique et structures sociopolitiques, by Serge Lusignan and Diane Gervais, August 2008 In the 15th century, the Dukes of Burgundy took over the Low Countries. The death of Charles the Bold in 1477 raised the issue of succession, and the Liégeois (Prince-Bishopric of Liège) took advantage of this to regain some of their autonomy. From the 16th to the 18th centuries, the Low Countries were governed successively by the Habsburg dynasty of Spain (from the early 16th century until 1713-14) and later by Austria (until 1794). This territory was enlarged in 1521-22 when Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor gained the Tournai region from France. Flemish art was not confined to the boundaries of modern Flanders and several leading artists came from or worked in areas in which langues d'oïl were spoken, from the region of modern Wallonia, e.g. Robert Campin, Rogier van der Weyden (Rogier de la Pasture) and Jacques Daret. Joachim Patinir Henri Blès (Herri met de Bles) are generally called mosan (Mosan art) painters. Lambert Lombard (Liège (Liège (city)), 1505 – 1566) was a Renaissance painter, architect and theorist for the Prince-Bishopric of Liège. Gérard de Lairesse, Bertholet Flemalle were also important painters in the Prince-Bishopric of Liège. thumb 200px Guillaume Dufay (Image:DufayBinchois.jpg) (left), with Gilles Binchois There was an important musical life in Prince-Bishopric of Liège since the beginning. Between 1370 and 1468 flourished a school of music in Liège, with Johannes Brassart, Johannes de Sarto and firstly Johannes Ciconia, the third Master of Ars Nova. French ’’Le troisième grand Maître de l'Ars Nova'' in Robert Wangermée et Philippe Mercier, La musique en Wallonie et à Bruxelles, La Renaissance du livre, Bruxelles, 1980, Tome I,pp. 37-40. The modern borders of the province of Liège originated in 1795 in the unification of the Principality or Prince-Bishopric of Liège with the revolutionary France Department of the Ourthe (sometimes spelled Ourte). Most of the province traces its history to the Prince-Bishopric of Liège though. Prince-Bishopric of Liège was dissolved in 1795, when it was annexed by France. Its territory was divided over the départements Meuse-Inférieure, Ourthe, and Sambre-et-Meuse. Creating the modern boundaries of the Liege Province. Lafayette had already decided to flee with his similarly endangered staff officers to the Republic of the United Netherlands (Dutch Republic). Lafayette hoped to gather his family in Britain, then retire to the United States, Clary, p. 409 Spalding, pp. 5–6 but did not make it. Troops of the counter-revolutionary coalition of Austria and Prussia had been massing in the Southern Netherlands, to invade France with the intention of restoring the old French monarchy. Flemish Austrian troops under Major General (later Field Marshal) Johann von Moitelle arrested Lafayette's party the evening of 17 August at Rochefort, Belgium, at that time a village in the officially neutral Prince-Bishopric of Liège. Among those arrested with Lafayette were Jean Baptiste Joseph, chevalier de Laumoy, Louis Saint Ange Morel, chevalier de la Colombe, Alexandre-Théodore-Victor, comte de Lameth, Charles César de Fay de La Tour-Maubourg, Marie Victor de Fay, marquis de Latour-Maubourg, Juste-Charles de Fay de La Tour-Maubourg, Jean-Xavier Bureau de Pusy. Holbrook, p. 114 Doyle, p. 190 Lafayette Collection, Library of Congress, Reel 1, Folder 2A Spalding, pp. 2–3, 6–7 From 25 August to 3 September 1792, he was held at Nivelles; then transferred to Luxemburg (Luxembourg) where an Austrian-Prussian-French royalist military tribunal declared him, César de La Tour-Maubourg, Jean Bureaux de Pusy, and Alexandre de Lameth, all previously deputies in the French National Convention, to be "prisoners of state" for their leading roles in the Revolution. The tribunal sentenced them to an incarceration that was to last until, as was anticipated by coalition rulers, a restored French king could render final judgment on the prisoners for their alleged political crimes. On 12 September 1792, a Prussian military escort received the men from their Austrian guards. The party travelled down the Moselle river to Coblentz (Koblenz), then down the Rhine river to the Prussian fortress-city of Wesel, where the Frenchmen remained in the central citadel from 19 September to 22 December 1792. When victorious French revolutionary troops began to threaten the Rhineland, King Frederick William II of Prussia transferred the prisoners east to the citadel at Magdeburg, where they remained an entire year, from 4 January 1793 to 4 January 1794. Those walls have been dismantled in 1467, when Charles the Bold attacked the Prince-Bishopric of Liège during the Liège Wars and destructed many cities in the region. Maaseik was also besieged in 1672, by Louis XIV. The city burned in 1650 and 1684; the last one destroyed 1 3 of the entire city, included the historic center. After that the ''Maaseikenaars'' built stone houses instead of wooden ones. During the iconoclasm, Maaseik became almost independent, but Gerard van Groesbeek could calm down the people. In the early Middle Ages, Huy was one of the most prosperous cities on the Meuse, with a flourishing economy based mostly on metallurgy, but also on tanning, sculpting, woodworking, and wine-making. In the 10th century, Huy was promoted to county status, but soon became part of the Prince-Bishopric of Liège, with which it would share its history for more than eight centuries. Huy was the recipient of the first historically known charter north of the Alps, confirming it as a city in 1066. It is around that time that Peter the Hermit harangued the locals and persuaded them to participate in the First Crusade. left 230px thumb Center of Verviers (Image:Verviers Centrum.jpg) In the 10th century, Charles the Simple ceded the Marquisate of Franchimont to the bishop of Liège, just before the creation of the Prince-Bishopric (Prince-Bishopric of Liège). Liège took direct control of the marquisate in 1014, an act which was confirmed by emperor Frederick Barbarossa (Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor) and by Pope Adrian IV in 1155. The medieval hamlet of ''Woromia'' was cited for the first time in 965. On February 5, 1078, ''Woromia'' was ceded to the Prince-Bishopric of Liège, together with its castle, five mills, and six breweries.thumb left Waremme City Hall 150px (File:Waremme 050910 (6).JPG) By 1215, with its 815 inhabitants, it had grown to town size. Its frontier position near the Duchy of Brabant, however, attracted several raids from the duke, causing it to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt at least a couple of times. In the 14th century, the town built a market place and a hospital, slowly becoming an important regional center, where coins were issued and important meetings held. '''André Ernest Modeste Grétry''' (8 February 1741 – 24 September 1813) was a composer from the Prince-Bishopric of Liège (present-day Belgium), who worked from 1767 onwards in France and took French nationality. He is most famous for his ''opéras comiques (opéra comique)''. Another testing point concerned the pro-French Archbishop-Elector, Maximilian Henry (Maximilian Henry of Bavaria), and the question of his succession in the state of Cologne (Electorate of Cologne). The territory of the archbishopric lay along the left bank of the Rhine and included three fortresses of the river-line: Bonn, Rheinberg, and Kaiserswerth (Düsseldorf-Kaiserswerth), besides Cologne itself. Moreover, the archbishop was also prince-bishop of Liège (Prince-Bishopric of Liège), the small state astride the strategic highway of the river Meuse (Meuse (river)). When the Elector died on 3 June 1688 Louis XIV pressed for the pro-French Bishop of Strasbourg, William Egon of Fürstenberg, to succeed him. The Emperor, however, favoured Joseph Clement (Joseph Clemens of Bavaria), the brother of Maximilian Emanuel, Elector of Bavaria (Maximilian II Emanuel, Elector of Bavaria). McKay & Scott: ''The Rise of the Great Powers: 1648–1815,'' 42. The Bavarian Wittelsbachs (House of Wittelsbach) traditionally provided the electoral bishop. With neither candidate able to secure the necessary two-thirds of the vote of the canons (Canon (priest)) of the cathedral chapter, the matter was referred to Rome (Vatican City). There was no prospect of the Pope, already in deep conflict with Louis XIV, favouring the French candidate, and on 26 August 1688 he awarded the election to Clement. Childs: ''The Nine Years' War and the British Army,'' 15. The ''New Cambridge Modern History VI'' states Clement was awarded the election on 18 September. ) (died before 923) was the count of the Bidgau (''pagus Bedensis'') and held the rights of a count within the city of Trier. He received also the advocacy of the Abbey of Saint Rumbold (Rumbold of Mechelen) The abbey founded by St. Rumbold in the 6th, 7th or 8th century and a 9th century St. Rumbold's abbey church subordinate to the bishops of Liège (Prince-Bishopric of Liège) are assumed to have been located in the ''Holm'', higher grounds a little outside the later city walls of Mechelen. A 9th century St. Rumbold's Chapel in the city centre stood till 1580, was rebuilt in 1597 en demolished in 1798. After Prince-Bishop Notger (Notker of Liège)'s founding of the St. Rumbold's Chapter (Chapter (religion)) around 1000, an adjacent collegiate church was built and its parish title was handed to the chapter in 1134. Most likely on its spot, already from around the next turn of the century onwards the wellknown Saint Rumbold's Church (St. Rumbold's Cathedral) was built, consecrated (Consecration) in 1312, and functions as metropolitan cathedral (Archbishopric of Mechelen-Brussels) since 1559. This edifice never belonged to the abbey. Source: Sint-Romboutskerk (ID: 74569), VIOE (Retrieved 29 July 2011) at Mechelen from Charles III of France. From 915 or 916 he was the count palatine of Lotharingia (Count Palatine of the Rhine). He was the founder of the House of Ardennes. The title is reminiscent of the Prince-Bishopric of Liège, a noble title of the Holy Roman Empire which ceased to exist in 1795.


Orson, Pennsylvania

. location New York publisher A. Pomeroy & Co. page 16 The population subsisted in large part on agriculture (Agriculture in the United States), dairying (Dairy farming#United States), and ice harvesting, the last of which was facilitated by the large number of lakes in the area. The Hine's Corners United Methodist Church

, and several hotels and stores, created in large part to serve the influx of people brought to and through Orson by the O&W. Summer camp industry The depot was abandoned in 1957 after the O&W went bankrupt (Bankruptcy), and this event largely marked the end of Orson's importance outside of its contiguity. Many of the village's business establishments closed soon after the railroad did, with the notable exception of the summer camps that would


County of Foix

of Midi-Pyrénées. The remaining 76.6% is made of Quercy and Rouergue (of which was talked above), as well as the province of County of Foix (which had been a vassal of the county of Toulouse (History of Toulouse) in the Middle Ages), several small provinces of the Pyrénées mountains, and a large part of Gascony. *13% lies in the Rhône-Alpes ''région'', covering the ''département (département in France)'' of Ardèche, which accounts for 12.7% of the territory of Rhône


Matagalpa

, and Selva Negra Mountain Resort. A large part of the economy in Matagalpa depends on eco-tourism. Nature hikes, walks, and excursions are very common throughout Matagalpa, and the northern region on Nicaragua. One of the most recognized eco-tourism sites is Selva Negra Wildlife Refuge, with over 300 acres of land dedicated to the conservation of the area's diverse flora and fauna. Recently a large water project has been completed. A potable water system and a new waste water treatment facility were funded and built by the German government. A new extension of the paved highway Managua-Sebaco-Matagalpa-Jinotega has been completed. Climate Matagalpa, along with nearby Jinotega, Jinotega, enjoy "eternal spring" or all year, spring-like weather. Matagalpa lies more than


Oryol Oblast

of Oryol (Oryol Oblast), Tula (Tula Oblast), Kaluga (Kaluga Oblast), Moscow (Moscow Oblast), Ryazan (Ryazan Oblast), Vladimir (Vladimir Oblast), and Nizhny Novgorod (Nizhny Novgorod Oblast) and is navigable over a large part of its total length, as far upstream as to the town of Kaluga. Its length exceeds . The Russian capital Moscow sits on one of the Oka's tributaries—the Moskva River. Electoral results In Duma parliament


Platteville, Wisconsin

from Cornwall, England, formed a large part of the wave of immigrants. Boom towns like Mineral Point (Mineral Point, Wisconsin), Platteville (Platteville, Wisconsin), Shullsburg (Shullsburg, Wisconsin), Belmont (Belmont, Wisconsin), and New Diggings (New Diggings, Wisconsin) sprang up around mines. The first two federal land offices in Wisconsin were opened in 1834 at Green Bay and at Mineral Point. Early life Fiedler was born in Platteville, Wisconsin, a son of Donald Fiedler, a beer salesman, and his wife Margaret Phelan. John Fiedler Biography (1925-) He moved to Shorewood, Wisconsin, at the age of 5, where he graduated from Shorewood High School (Shorewood High School (Wisconsin)) in 1943. He then enlisted in the United States Navy and served until the end of World War II O'Donnell, Michelle. "John Fiedler, 80, Stage Actor and Film Voice of Pooh's Piglet, Dies", New York Times, June 27, 2005. Accessed December 15, 2007. "He graduated from Shorewood High School in 1943 and enlisted in the United States Navy, serving stateside until World War II's end." DATE OF BIRTH February 3, 1925 PLACE OF BIRTH Platteville, Wisconsin, U.S. DATE OF DEATH June 25, 2005 right 400px Map of Wisconsin showing area codes (Image:WI Area Codes (Display).png) The '''608 area code''' currently covers much of Southwest Wisconsin, including the capital (Capital (political)) city of Madison (Madison, Wisconsin) as well as the cities of Waunakee (Waunakee, Wisconsin), Mount Horeb (Mount Horeb, Wisconsin), Verona (Verona, Wisconsin), Sun Prairie (Sun Prairie, Wisconsin), Monroe (Monroe, Wisconsin), Platteville (Platteville, Wisconsin), Lancaster (Lancaster, Wisconsin), Portage (Portage, Wisconsin), Baraboo (Baraboo, Wisconsin), Wisconsin Dells (Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin), Beloit (Beloit, Wisconsin), Janesville (Janesville, Wisconsin), La Crosse (La Crosse, Wisconsin), Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin), Prairie du Sac (Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin), Sauk City (Sauk City, Wisconsin), Viroqua (Viroqua, Wisconsin) and Sparta (Sparta, Wisconsin). It was created in 1955 as a split from area code 414, and was the third area code created in Wisconsin. As Spradlin wrestled wearing a "wifebeater (Wifebeater (shirt))" T-shirt, he began using the ring name "Wife Beater". He continued to use the Wife Beater character (Glossary of professional wrestling terms#Gimmick) until a women's group, offended by the gimmick, organized a boycott of a show on which Spradlin was wrestling in Platteville, Wisconsin. The character was discussed on the talk show ''Politically Incorrect'', although Spradlin was not mentioned by name. After Spradlin was booked for a series of family-friendly shows for NWA West Virginia Ohio, he changed his ring name to "Chris Hero". He wrestled his last matches as Wife Beater in 2000. - University of Wisconsin–Platteville Pioneers Platteville (Platteville, Wisconsin) Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference - - 77 Platteville (Platteville, Wisconsin) 11,224 9,989 City (Political_subdivisions_of_Wisconsin#City) Grant (Grant County, Wisconsin) -


Golmud

WikiPedia:Golmud Commons:Category:Golmud


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017