Places Known For

industry


National Recovery Administration

The '''National Recovery Administration''' ('''NRA''') was the primary New Deal agency established by U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) in 1933. The goal was to eliminate "cut-throat competition" by bringing industry, labor and government together to create codes of "fair practices" and set prices. The NRA was created by the National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) and allowed industries to get together and write "codes of fair competition."

on the National Industrial Recovery Act," President Roosevelt described the spirit of the NRA: "On this idea, the first part of the NIRA proposes to our industry a great spontaneous cooperation to put millions of men back in their regular jobs this summer." Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum - Our Documents ref name "

sink selfish interest and present a solid front against a common peril." Inception thumb right 200px Director Hugh S. Johnson on the cover of Time Magazine (File:1933 Time Man of the Year cover.jpg) in 1933.thumb right 200px The film industry supported the NRA (File:NRA film 1934.JPG) The first director of the NRA was Hugh S. Johnson, a retired United States Army general


Drohobych

century (sources differ as to an exact year and some give 1422, 1460, or 1496 Drohobych in Encyclopedia of Ukraine but in 1506 the right were confirmed by the king Alexander the Jagiellonian). In the 14th–16th centuries the city was a home of significant salt industry. From the early-17th century, the Ukrainian Catholic brotherhood existed in the city, In 1648

, during the Khmelnytsky Uprising, the Cossacks stormed the city and its cathedral. Most of the local Poles, as well as the Greek Catholics and the Jews, were murdered at the time, while some managed to survive in the Bell tower not taken in the raid. The 1772 partition of Poland (Partitions of Poland) gave the city to Austria (Austria-Hungary). As the significant oil (Petroleum) resources were discovered in the area, the city became an important center of the oil industry oil

the Drohobych Oblast was incorporated into the Lviv Oblast in 1959. In Soviet times, Drohobych became an important industrial center in Western Ukraine with highly developed oil-refining industry, machine building, woodworking industry, light industry, and food industry. thumb Town Hall (File:Drogobych.jpg) thumb Sixteenth-century Church of the Holy Cross, Drohobych (File:Україна Львівщина мiсто Дрогобич, Церква Чесного Хреста XVI ст. (4).jpg) File:Drohobych2.JPG thumb Basilian


Couva

with the oil refinery at Pointe-a-Pierre, only eight miles away and at the Point Lisas industrial estate located west of the town centre. thumb 350px Rienzi Complex, Couva (File:Rienzi complex.jpg) Couva was profoundly affected by the closure of Caroni (1975) Ltd. in the early 2000s, particularly its residents who worked on the nearby sugar cane estates and the associated small and medium enterprises which supported this industry. Since this period the town has recovered through

utilization of the now open sugar lands for new housing and business initiatives. Consequently, while the nearby town of Chaguanas has evolved and expanded significantly to become the de facto administrative and commercial capital of Central Trinidad, Couva's character has changed to become magnet for industrialization, sports, health, and residential projects. Development and Demise of the Sugar Production Industry In 1937 there were two major developments which occurred on these sugar

lands of Central Trinidad. One was the formation of the All Trinidad Sugar Estates Factory Workers Trade Union which for the first time gave representation to many thousands of sugar workers who had revolted in 1935, 1936 and 1937 against slave conditions on the sugar estates. Now, under the leadership of Adrian Cola Rienzi they transformed the nature of the industry. At the same time, Caroni (1937) was created when Tate and Lyle, a British multi-national company bought our Caroni Sugar Estates


First Czechoslovak Republic

Party with other right wing (Right-wing politics) and center parties. Ideologically, it was characterized by national radicalism (Extremism) and economic liberalism. Led by Kramář and Alois Rašín, the Czechoslovak National Democratic Party became the party of big business, banking, and industry. The party declined in influence after 1920, however. Foreign policy Edvard Beneš, Czechoslovak foreign minister from 1918 to 1935, created the system of alliances

, the foreign ministry came under the direction of Kamil Krofta, an adherent of Beneš's line. Economy The new nation had a population of over 13.5 million. It had inherited 70 to 80% of all the industry of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, including the porcelain and glass industries and the sugar refineries; more than 40% of all its distilleries and breweries; the Škoda Works of Pilsen (Plzeň), which produced armaments, locomotives, automobiles, and machinery

; and the chemical industry of northern Bohemia. Seventeen percent of all Hungarian (Kingdom of Hungary) industry that had developed in Slovakia during the late 19th century also fell to the republic. Czechoslovakia was one of the world's 10 most industrialized states. 400px left thumb Czechoslovakia 1920–1938. (File:Czechoslovakia1920-38.jpg) The Czech lands were far more industrialized than Slovakia. In Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia, 39


Berdyansk

grammar schools, nautical classes, city college, some credit institutions. Except the extensive export trade which main subject were grain and a flour, Berdyansk conducts large enough inland trade. It becomes the considerable distributive market of the received goods for wide neighbourhood. To the beginning of the 20th century Berdyansk has got lines of a trading merchant city-port with the developed industry, that, naturally, has affected its infrastructure – in Berdyansk there were newspapers

of the services in sphere of the industry of rest. Reconstruction of the central and seaside streets of the city proceeds, all new hotels and recreation centres equipped by up to date technics for comfortable rest, the conditions improves in ready-built before tourist objects . Monuments * Monument Bender and Balaganov * Sanitary technician * Sundial * frog. green monster Transport The city of Berdyansk is an important highway and railway junction. Berdyansk has a good capacity freight

sea port. For the past decade Berdyansk airport has been remaining in non-operating condition. Industry During the Soviet period Berdyansk was powerful enough industrial centre. There were farming machines factory, road machines factory, factory of hydraulic machines, oil refinery, fiberglass factory, cable factory, ferroconcrete combine, factory of materials handling equipment, provisions factory, a bread-baking complex, milk plant, a meat-packing plant, a considerable quantity


Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement

title Interim Report on the History of the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry in Southern Louisiana url http: www.gomr.boemre.gov homepg regulate environ studies 2004 2004-049.pdf page 30 author Diane Austin author2 Bob Carriker author3 Tom McGuire author4 Joseph Pratt author5 Tyler Priest author6 Allan G. Pulsipher The Minerals Revenue Management (MRM) division of MMS was responsible for managing all royalties associated with both onshore and offshore oil and gas production

from federal mineral leases. In 1997, in light of evidence that industry was getting around royalty regulations and underpaying royalties to the tune of billions of dollars,

enforcement of safety rules, the agency that regulates drilling has failed to collect billions in fees MMS proposed a more stringent rule to collect royalty payments in value (RIV) (Royalties#Non-renewable resource royalties), meaning in the form of cash payments from companies producing from federal leases. In response to that rule-making, industry proposed an alternative — "royalty-in-kind" (RIK) meaning in the form of actual oil or gas production. In fact


Gosplan

from economic bottleneck to economic bottleneck in a frenzied effort to sustain what remained of Russian industry on behalf of the Red Army, locked in a life or death struggle with the anti-Bolshevik White movement, backed by the foreign military intervention of Great Britain, France, Japan, the United States of America, and other countries. In the countryside food requisitions (Prodrazvyorstka), often backed by brute force, took place under the nominal auspices

Carr2-376 Initially Gosplan had an advisory function, with its entire staff consisting of just 34 people at the time of its April 1921 launch. Carr, ''A History of Soviet Russia,'' vol. 2, pg. 377. These were selected on the basis of academic expertise in specialized aspects of industry; just 7 were members of the Russian Communist Party (bolsheviks) (Communist Party of the Soviet Union). ref name Carr2-377 >

; With the ongoing turn to a market-based system of production as part of the New Economic Policy (NEP), very real constraints existed on the possible extent of central planning during the initial phase of Gosplan's institutional life. Gosplan quickly became a leading bureaucratic advocate for central planning and expanded investment in heavy industry, with Leon Trotsky one of the leading political patrons of the agency. Carr, ''A History of Soviet Russia,'' vol. 2, pg. 379


Jocotitlán

is employed in industry. The town thumb 150px left Nave of the Jesús Nazareno Church (File:NaveJNChurchJoco.JPG) The town of Jocotitlán is located at the foot of the Jocotitlán or Xocotepetl volcano in the northwest part of the State of Mexico, near the cities of Atlacomulco and Ixtlahuaca (Ixtlahuaca de Rayón). It looks over a relatively flat area which is the Ixtlahuaca Valley. The center of this town has cobblestone streets and houses with red tile roofs. ref name "mexdes

constructed. In the 1960s, a company named IUSA (Grupo Isuacell) bought much of the former hacienda of Pasteje, as part of a move of its operations away from Mexico City. The property was about five percent of the municipality’s territory, but it had no water or electrical services. The company had to drill its own wells and negotiate with authorities to get connected to the grid. The workers of the area at that time had no experience working in industry

and technology. This has helped create a workforce to sustain and encourage development of industry in the area. The school began with two majors and seventy nine students. In 2010, it had six majors and over 2,100 students from thirty one of the state’s municipalities. These majors are electro-mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, computer systems engineering, architecture, accounting and business development. The campus covers twenty hectares with several classroom buildings


Dalhousie, New Brunswick

of the shore. Dalhousie has been called "a waterfront town without a waterfront." The mill also meant that the town had a high average income. It brought a new and different kind of prosperity. Still, Dalhousie was in the situation of many one-industry towns – dependent on the success of that one main sector of its economy. (For information concerning the 2008 mill closure, see Economy section) The hilly town site was first laid out in 1826

thumb left 240px Past Industrial view of Dalhousie Until January 31, 2008, the economy was dominated by the forestry industry, namely a large pulp and paper mill spanning the waterfront along the Restigouche River. This mill was built to produce newsprint by the New Brunswick International Paper Co. in 1928 (a subsidiary of International Paper). Dalhousie was prosperous for many decades due to the mill and the employment opportunities it created. The mill underwent ownership

surplus. However, a deal was struck between CN and the Port of Dalhousie for this section of line to remain open under a leasing agreement ( November 2011) The town's only remaining industry is the Dalhousie Generating Station, a thermal power plant operated by NB Power, which is in the process of being decommissioned. While there are several smaller employers, the largest employer in the town at the current time is the Dalhousie Nursing Home. Transportation The town benefits from


Chifeng

Daur 386 0.01% - Other 1,619 0.04% Economy During the period of “the 10th Five-Year Plan (Tenth Five-Year Plan (People's Republic of China))”, Chifeng conducted the strategy of “found the municipality by ecology, strengthen the municipality by industry, prosper the municipality by science and education”, by strengthening the development of resources, and seizing the historic opportunity of Western Development. Following the strategy, Chifeng started tightening up

ecological and infrastructure construction, actively promoting the process of agricultural and animal husbandry industrialization, industrialization and urbanization, greatly encouraging the development of service industry and county-level economy, trying to expand the general economy volume, increasing industry level, enhancing the core competition. As a result, the social economy got fast development. Currently, the industrial economic system dominated with minerals, energy, medicines and foods

and the agricultural and animal husbandry industrialization development structure dominated with meat, milk, vegetables and grass in Chifeng has been initially taking into shape. Chifeng has become the base of agriculture and animal husbandry and industry of the eastern part of Inner Mongolia. Compared with those of the end of “the 9th Five-Year Plan (Ninth Five-Year Plan (People's Republic of China))”, GDP of the municipality, average regional GDP and the fiscal income doubled, the investment


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017