Places Known For

important site


Pingliang

about 11 hours * '''Urumqi''' - takes about 26 hours * '''Xian''' - takes about 7 hours * '''Yinchuan''' - takes about 8 hours By bus West Bus Station is at National Hwy 312, 2.5km west of the center of town. * '''Guyuan''' - takes about 2 hours * '''Lanzhou''' - takes about 5 hours * '''Xian''' - takes about 5 hours Get around See * '''Kongtongshan National Park''' - important site in the Taoist religion Do Buy Eat Drink Sleep Budget *


Rurrenabaque

the Beni River with the small passenger ferry over to San Buenaventura. Some eco-lodges are found in and around the Madidi National Park. The oldest and best known is Chalalan Ecolodge in Chalalán on the Tuichi River, a successful community-based enterprise that generates significant economic benefits to indigenous communities (Malky et al., 2007). Another important site is the Serere Sanctuary operated by Madidi Travel; a 4000 hectare private reserve dedicated to generating income through tourism for on-going conservation work to establish new legally protected zones in the north of the Madidi Mosaic. Others include San Miguel del Bala Eco-Lodge on the banks of the Beni River reached by boat 40 minutes up stream from Rurrenabaque, and the young Entno Ecolodge - Mashaquipe on the Tuichi River close to the outlet into the Beni River. Wikipedia:Rurrenabaque


Uelen

Okrug Chukotka , notably Uelen. International trade is, however, somewhat restricted by the Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) (CITES). Elgygytgyn Lake, an important site for scientific research on climate change, is located in Chukotka, as is the village of Uelen, the closest substantial Russian settlement to the United States. He worked as a pilot with the Far Eastern department of the Civil Air Fleet. After February 13, 1934, when


Villa de Etla

people. From 700 to 450 BCE, it dominated the local area, becoming the most important site of the Valley of Etla. It was abandoned between 650–800 CE, or Monte Albán IV. Environment The municipality is located in the Valley of Etla, which is a sub-valley located in the far northwest of the Valley of Oaxaca. The municipality lies on a valley floor so its terrain is relatively flat with no significant elevations other than small hills. Almost all of the land in the area is used for agriculture or human habitation. The major rivers are the Asunción which flows through the community of Nativitas Etla and the Salinas River when crosses through Santo Domingo Barrio Alto and Santo Domingo Bajo Etla. It has a temperate climate. Almost all of the vegetation in the municipality is secondary with decorative species such as geraniums, bougainvillea; trees such as laurel and eucalyptus, and various edible and medicinal herbs. Wildlife mostly consists of bird species such as doves and hummingbirds, various insects, along with some aquatic species such as frogs, fish and crab and reptiles such as lizards, small turtles and snakes. Mammals are all domesticated species. History The name means “town of the land of beans” mixing Spanish and Nahuatl. “Villa” is from Spanish and means “town” and “Etla” comes from Nahuatl meaning in “land of beans.” The Zapotec name for the area is Loohvana, which refers to the land’s fertility. Most of the history of this town has been lost due to the lack of records. Oral tradition states that the settlement was founded sometime in the 15th century. The decisive Battle of La Carbonera was fought on October 18, 1866 near to Etla during the war caused by the French intervention in Mexico. Category:Populated places in Oaxaca Category:Municipalities of Oaxaca Category:Populated places established in 1636 Surrounding towns A number of small towns surround the main city and are closely linked economically and culturally with the main city. Some of these towns are known for producing certain crafts that are identified with the three central valleys of Oaxaca. In these towns one can see the workshops and the crafts being produced in the traditional manner although most of these towns' products are sold in the main city. Santa María Atzompa produces glazed, glass-inlaid pottery of green, while San Antonio Arrazola and San Martín Tilcajete make alebrijes, small painted wooden figures. San Bartolo Coyotepec is known for its barro negro pottery, and Teotitlán del Valle works with wool and llama to make tapetes, or more commonly, throw rugs. These rugs are known for their intense colors, made traditionally with natural dyes, made from cempasúchil (yellow), cochineal (red) and indigo (blue). In addition, Oaxaca city and surrounding towns have market days, where one can visit the tianguis (open-air markets) set up for that day. There are markets on each day of the week. Monday in Miahuatlan (Miahuatlán de Porfirio Díaz) is for buying daily staples, and Tuesday, in Ayoquezco (Ayoquezco de Aldama) is noted for wood furniture. On Wednesday, people head to Etla (Villa de Etla) and Zimatlán (Zimatlán de Alvarez) for dairy products, especially cheese. Thursday is reserved for the two largest ''tianguis'' in Ejutla (Ejutla de Crespo) and Villa de Zaachila. On Friday, in Coyotepec, Jalietza and Ocotlán (Ocotlán (Oaxaca)) cotton textiles, embroidered blouses, corn-husk flowers and glazed pottery from Atzompa are sold. Also Llano park in Oaxaca has a small market. Saturday is reserved for the main city of Oaxaca, and to finish, on Sunday mezcal is sold in Tlacolula (Tlacolula de Matamoros). The two most important religious establishments have been '''Señor de la Cuevita Sanctuary''' and the former m'''onastery of Culhuacán.''' The Señor de la Cuevita Sanctuary is located on Avenida Morelos and 16 de Septiembre in the city of Iztapalapa. It was built to house an image of Christ made of cornstalks which is called the “Señor de la Cuevita” (Lord of the Small Cave). According to legend, this image was taken from here to Etla, Oaxaca (Villa de Etla), but it mysteriously disappeared from there to reappear in a small cave back in Iztapalapa. However, its importance stems from a miracle attributed to it. In 1833, the area was hit by a cholera plague. People appealed to this image and when the plague dissipated, this image was given credit. Yearly rites of gratitude to this image eventually developed into the borough’s annual Passion Play (passion play). Since 1853, this church has been the center of most indigenous dance held. This is because in that year the archbishop of Mexico forbade “pagan” dances and to avoid confrontation, the dances began to be held here in the main atrium (Atrium (architecture)). In 1875, the church was painted by Anacleto Escutia. - 554 Villa de Etla Villa de Etla Etla (Etla District, Oaxaca) - - 554 Villa de Etla Villa de Etla Etla (Etla District, Oaxaca) -


South Hams

and within the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The path passes through the Prawle Point and Start Point Site of Special Scientific Interest which is recognised as being an important site for solitary bees and wasps, the rare cuckoo bee ''Nomada sexfasciata'', and the Cirl bunting.


Tulum

the site, Tulum appears to have been an important site for the worship of the Diving or Descending god. Tulum had an estimated population of 1,000 to 1,600 inhabitants. Tulum was first mentioned by Juan Díaz (Juan Díaz (Spanish conquistador)), a member of Juan de Grijalva's (Juan de Grijalva) Spanish expedition of 1518, the first Europeans to spot Tulum. The first detailed description of the ruins was published by John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood in 1843 in the book ''Incidents of Travel in Yucatan''. As they arrived from the sea, Stephens and Catherwood first saw a tall building that impressed them greatly, most likely the great Castillo (Castillo de Chapultepec) of the site. They made accurate maps of the site’s walls, and Catherwood made sketches of the Castillo and several other buildings. Stephens and Catherwood also reported an early classic stele (Tulum Stela 1) at the site, with an inscribed date of AD 564 (now in the British Museum's collection), which is interpreted to mean that it was most likely built elsewhere and brought to Tulum to be reused. British Museum Collection left thumb 450px Main temple at Tulum, by Frederick Catherwood, from ''Views of Ancient Monuments'' (File:TulumCatherwood1844.jpg) Work conducted at Tulum continued with that of Sylvanus Morley and George P. Howe, beginning in 1913. They worked to restore and open the public beaches. The work was continued by the Carnegie Institution from 1916 to 1922, Samuel Lothrop in 1924 who also mapped the site, Miguel Ángel Fernández in the late 1930s and early 1940s, William Sanders (William Sanders (archaeologist)) in 1956, and then later in the 1970s by Arthur G. Miller. Through these investigations done by Sanders and Miller it has been determined that Tulum was occupied during the late Postclassic period around AD 1200. The site continued to be occupied until contact with the Spanish was made in the early 16th century. By the end of the 16th century the site was abandoned completely. "The Ancient Maya", Robert J. Sharer and Loa P. Traxler, Published by Stanford University Press 2006. pp. 608–611. Climate Considered a tropical savanna climate typically with a pronounced dry season. The Köppen Climate Classification subtype for this climate is ''Aw'' (Tropical savanna climate) (Tropical Savanna Climate). Commons:Category:Tulum


Hurghada

for Arabs and Muslims from Hegaz coming to fight beside the Mamalic against the French army. The most important sites in Qusayr are the fort and the water reservoir. The water reservoir was Qusayr's only source of drinking water 100 years ago. Al Qusayr Al Kadima is another important site as well. It was the old Roman port where hundreds of amphora and old pottery artifacts were found. Even the police station is located at a historical site. There are now many bazaars here, as well as cafes


Cotonou

. On the northern edge is the famous water town of Ganvié. Lake Nokoué is an important site for the birds. '''Cotonou Cadjehoun Airport''' Wikipedia:Cotonou Commons:Category:Cotonou


Landa de Matamoros

The problem is most serious in Landa de Matamoros, Pinal de Amoles and Jalpan de Serra . Aside from commercial loggers, areas are also cleared by local farmers looking for more space for animals and crops. This has led to springs and river drying up and eroding of topsoil. While strict environmental protection laws exist, enforcement is lacking. Local authorities have requested the creation of environmental police to guard the forest areas. However, much of the enforcement is done by the local community itself. A second mission is located in the community of Tancoyol called Nuestra Señora de la Luz de Tancoyol, dedicated to Our Lady of Light (Franciscan Missions in the Sierra Gorda). This facade has profuse vegetative ornamentation, with ears of corn prominent and is the most elaborate of the five missions. It is likely that this mission was constructed by Juan Ramos de Lora, who resided here from 1761 to 1767. The structure is similar to those in Jalpan and Landa (Landa de Matamoros). It has a church with a Latin cross layout and choir area, a sacristy, atrium with cross and chapels in the corners of the atrium called “capillas posas.” There is also a pilgrims’ gate, a cloister and quarters for the priest. The interior has a number of sculptures including one of “Our Lady of Light.”


Tulancingo

commons:Tulancingo


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017