Places Known For

highly controversial


New Belgrade

) Museum of Contemporary Art is located in Ušće which is also projected by the city government as the location of the future Belgrade Opera. The issue became highly controversial in the 2000s (decade) as the general feel of the population, ensemble of the opera and most prominent architects and artists is that it is a very bad location for the opera, while the city government stubbornly insists against the popular wishes. For decades, the only church in the municipality was an old Church of Saint George in Bežanija. Construction of the new church in Bežanijska Kosa, the Church of Saint Basil of Ostrog, began in 1996, while the construction of the Church of Saint Demetrius of Salonica, which is considered the first church in New Belgrade, began in 1998. Both are still not completed. Schools thumb right Main building of the Megatrend University (File:Megatrend univerzitet na Novom Beogradu.JPG) in New Belgrade Education fared much better than culture, as there are numerous elementary and high schools, as well as University of Belgrade's residential campus - Studentski Grad. List of schools in New Belgrade: * Ninth Belgrade Gymnasium * Tenth Belgrade Gymnasium * University of Arts (University of Arts in Belgrade)' Faculty of Dramatic Arts (FDU) * Megatrend University * Graphic Design Secondary School * Polytechnical Academy * Technical School * Russian School Night life New Belgrade offers rich night life along the banks of Sava (Sava river) and Danube, right up to the point where the two rivers meet. What started mostly as raft-like social clubs for river fishermen in the 1980s expanded into large floats offering food and drink with live turbo folk performances during the 1990s. Today, it is unlikely that one would walk a 100-meter stretch along the rivers without encountering a float. Some of them grew into entire entertainment complexes rivaling clubs in Belgrade's downtown core. While most of the floats used to be synonymous with turbo folk in what was essentially a stereotypical ''kafana'' setting, a recent trend saw many turned into full-fledged clubs on water with elaborate events involving world famous DJs spinning live music. Criticism and public image right thumb 300px Blok 62 (File:NoviBG Jan23 2005.jpg) Not much attention was paid to detail and subtlety when New Belgrade was being built during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The objective was clearly to put up as many buildings, as fast as possible, in order to accommodate a displaced and growing post World War II population that was in the middle of a baby boom (Post-WW2 baby boom). This across-the-board brutalist architectural approach (brutalist) led to many apartment buildings and even entire residential blocks looking monumental in an awkward way. Although the problem has been alleviated to certain extent in recent decades by addition of some modern expansion (Hyatt (Hyatt Regency Belgrade) and Intercontinental hotels, luxury Genex condos (condominium), Ušće Tower, Belgrade Arena, Delta City, etc.), many still complain about what they see as New Belgrade's "grayness" and "drabness". They often use the derisive term "spavaonica" ("dormitory") to underscore their view of New Belgrade as a place that does not inspire creative living nor encourage healthy human interaction, and is only good for overnight sleep at the end of the hard day's work. This opinion has found its way into Serbian pop culture as well. In an early 1980s track called 'Neću da živim u Bloku 65', popular Serbian band Riblja čorba sings about a depressed individual who hates the world because he's surrounded by the concrete of New Belgrade, while a more recent local cinematic trend sees New Belgrade presented somewhat clumsily as the Serbian version of New York ghettos (Ghetto#United States) like those found in Harlem, Brooklyn and The Bronx. The most obvious example of the latter would be 2002 movie ''1 na 1'', which portrays a bunch of Serbian teenagers who rap, shoot guns, play street basketball and seem to blame many of their woes on living in New Belgrade. Other films like ''Apsolutnih 100'' and ''The Wounds (The Wounds (film))'' also implicitly paint New Belgrade in the negative light but they have a more coherent point of view and place their stories within the context of the 1990s when war and international isolation truly did push some Serbs, including those inhabiting New Belgrade, to desperate acts. Twin towns – Sister cities New Belgrade is twinned (Twin towns and sister cities) with the following cities and municipalities: '''Sava Centar''' (Serbian Cyrillic: ''Сава центар'') is an international congress, cultural and business centre of various multi-functional activities located in New Belgrade, Serbia. It is the largest audience hall in the country and entire former Yugoslavia (SFRY). It has been host to numerous large scale events and performances. History The construction of the biggest congress and performance hall in Yugoslavia (as called back then - now Serbia) started in 1976. The hall would be located in the new construction area of the city of Belgrade, New Belgrade. In those years the capital of Belgrade spread across the rivers of the Sava and Danube to construct a modern alternative to the historical city. The complete construction of the project took three years, until 1979, and was headed by chief designer and team manager Stojan Maksimović. Most of the construction took place in 1977 when the skeleton of the building was complete. Supporting architecture such as roads and highways were also built during this period around the Sava Centar complex. '''Aleksandar "Aca" Šapić''' (Serbian Cyrillic (Serbian Cyrillic alphabet): Александар Шапић - Аца; born 1 June 1978 in Belgrade, Serbia) is a Serbian politician and a retired water polo player. Born in Belgrade to father Miloš from Kordun and mother Slavojka from Berane vicinity in Montenegro, Aleksandar and his younger brother Vladimir grew up in New Belgrade near Studentski Grad. At 1.88m and 100 kg, and a professional career that lasted from 1993 until 2009, he's considered by many to be one of the greatest water polo players of all time. Currently, he's the president of the Democratic Party (Democratic Party (Serbia))'s (DS) branch for the city of Belgrade. Šapić novi predsednik DS u Beogradu;MTS Mondo, 3 July 2011 As an instrumental part of Serbia-Montenegro national team Šapić won gold at the World Aquatic Championships in Montreal. At the last three Olympic Games, he won a bronze medal in Beijing 2008, he collected a silver medal in Athens 2004 (2004 Summer Olympics), along with a bronze from Sydney 2000 (2000 Summer Olympics). Built in 1964, the glass building overlooks the confluence Danube and Sava rivers from the New Belgrade side. It was originally 105 meters tall and used as the headquarters of the Central Committee of the League of Communists (Communist Party of Yugoslavia) in the former Yugoslavia (SFRY). During the Bosnian war, he and his family moved to Belgrade, where he and his brother went to music school, playing the piano. During the early life he and his brother have been many time busted as a blind passengers on the ship to America, and they always get out with the excuse that they didn't see him. He finished Middle and High School in Zemun, he was awarded best interpretation in the Kosta Manojlović-school. Since his childhood he has listened to Pop and folk music and gone to every concert by Riblja Čorba to Halid Bešlić, whether it was in Drvar or in Belgrade. He remembers his first singing to Miroslav Ilić's ''"Pozdravi je, Pozdravi"'', he grew up in the Yugoslav Rock-era but has always listened and sung ''narodnjake'' (Folk songs). He worked in Club Španac in New Belgrade for 3 years, where he was known for his songs by Haris Džinović. Each building has been named after a flower. They are Iris Marigold (Tagetes), Dandelion, Violet (Viola (plant)), Lily of the Valley , Sunflower, Mimosa, Cyclamen, Gillyflower, Syringa, Jacinth, Rose, Tulipa, and Lily. During the construction of the village it was the largest development site in the Balkans. It is located in New Belgrade with the closest venues to it being Belgrade Arena (basketball and table tennis), EXPO XXI (wrestling and taekwondo) and TK Gazela (tennis). Early years Born in a working class family to parents Slobodan and Mirjana, Cane exhibited rebellious tendencies early in life, and seguéd easily into the role of a punk band frontman. Growing up near the Ušće (Ušće (Belgrade)) area of New Belgrade, he founded his first band in 1979 at the age of 15 — a group called '''Kopilad''' (Bastards). In 1980, he played with Urbana Gerila for a short time, before joining Radnička kontrola in 1981 where he played alongside some also soon-to-become-notable musicians: drummer Žika Todorović (Srdjan Todorovic), lead guitarist Darko Milojković and bassist Srđan "Đile" Marković.


Santa Fe de Nuevo México

coast was the goal of President James K. Polk, the leader of the Democratic Party (History of the Democratic Party (United States)). See Rives, ''The United States and Mexico,'' vol. 2, p. 658 However, the war was highly controversial in the U.S., with the Whig Party (Whig Party (United States)) and anti-slavery elements strongly opposed. Heavy American casualties and high monetary cost were also criticized. The major consequence of the war was the forced Mexican Cession of the territories of Alta California and New Mexico (Santa Fe de Nuevo México) to the U.S. in exchange for $18 million. In addition, the United States forgave debt owed by the Mexican government to U.S. citizens. Mexico accepted the Rio Grande as its national border, and the loss of Texas. Meanwhile gold was discovered in California, which immediately became an international magnet for the California Gold Rush. The political aftermath of the war raised the slavery issue in the U.S., leading to intense debates that pointed to civil war (American Civil War); the Compromise of 1850 provided a brief respite. * September 27, 1821 – Mexico gains its independence from Spain (see Mexican War of Independence). * November 16, 1821 – Santa Fe de Nuevo México: The Santa Fe Trail is used by the first White American. * August 22, 1822 – Alta California: The English (England) ship ''Orion'' lands at Yerba Buena, now named San Francisco, under the command of William A. Richardson. Nuevo México - New Mexico On his return from this successful expedition in 1777 he journeyed to Mexico City with the chief of the lower Colorado River area Quechan (Yuma) Native American (Native Americans in the United States) tribe who requested the establishment of a mission. On August 24, 1777, the Viceroy of New Spain (List of viceroys of New Spain) appointed Anza as the Governor (Spanish governors of New Mexico) of the Province of Nuevo México (Santa Fe de Nuevo México), the present day U.S. state of New Mexico. Migration south At the beginning of the 19th century, many Cheyenne lived near the Black Hills, but engaged in hunting and trading for horses as far south as the Arkansas River. They may have ranged into Nuevo Mexico (Santa Fe de Nuevo México) for horse-stealing raids. Some bands followed ''Kiowa'' and ''Arapaho'' to the southern areas. They traded both with the Spaniards, the French (France), and with other American Indian (Native Americans in the United States) tribes, trading goods and materials obtained on the upper Missouri River with those of southern tribes. Due to the growth of the Hispanic population in the Alta California by 1804, the Province of Las Californias, then a part of the Commandancy General of the Internal Provinces (Provincias Internas), was divided into two separate territorial administrations following Palóu's division between the Dominican and Franciscan missions. Diego de Borica is credited with defining Alta California and Baja California (Baja_California#History)'s official borders. The expedition was unofficially initiated by the then President of Texas, Mirabeau B. Lamar, in an attempt to gain control over the lucrative Santa Fe Trail and further develop the trade links between Texas and New Mexico. Lamar had already started courting the New Mexicans, sending out a commissioner in 1840, and many Texans thought that they might be favorable to the idea of joining the Republic of Texas. The Palace originally served as the seat of government of the Spanish colony of Nuevo Mexico (Santa Fe de Nuevo México), which at one time comprised the present-day states of Texas, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, California, and New Mexico. After the Mexican War of Independence, the Mexican province of Santa Fe de Nuevo México was administered from the Palace of the Governors. When New Mexico was annexed as a U.S. territory, the Palace became New Mexico's first territorial capitol. Before founding Originally, the present-day area of El Paso was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Mexico (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Mexico) which was established on September 2, 1530 by Pope Clement VII and included all of the territory of New Spain. On July 13, 1548 Pope Paul III erected the Diocese of Guadalajara (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Guadalajara) which included the northern frontier of New Spain. In 1620 Pope Paul V established the Diocese of Durango (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Durango) which encompassed all of the provinces of Nueva Vizcaya (Nueva Vizcaya, New Spain) and Santa Fe de Nuevo México. In El Paso's present-day Mission Valley (Mission Valley El Paso), Spanish missionaries (Spanish missions in Texas) established Mission Corpus Christi de la Isleta del Sur (Ysleta Mission) in 1682 and Mission Nuestra Señora de la Limpia Concepción de Los Piros de Socorro del Sur (Socorro Mission) in 1682. In the 1770s the Presidio Chapel (San Elizario, Texas#San Elizario Chapel) of San Elizario was established. These mission churches function to this day as parishes of the diocese. As a result of the Mexican-American War (1846–1848), the region became part of the United States splitting from the Diocese of Durango and on July 23, 1850 the Vicariate Apostolic of New Mexico was established which on July 29, 1853 became the Diocese of Santa Fe (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santa Fe) under Bishop John Baptist Lamy, encompassing West Texas and New Mexico Territory, which at the time included the present-day states of New Mexico and Arizona. San José de Concordia el Alto was erected in 1859 on the site of the present Concordia Cemetery. It was the nearest Catholic church for El Paso residents at the time. There was no Catholic church in El Paso proper before 1881. Often Catholics from El Paso boarded a hand-pulled ferry to attend mass (Mass (liturgy)) at Our Lady of Guadalupe in Juárez (Ciudad Juárez). The Handbook of Texas Online http: www.tshaonline.org handbook online articles EE ice1.html


Jonglei

to have ever been conducted in the state and is also one of its greatest failures. Construction began in 1978 but was halted in 1983-4 for political, financial and technical reasons, and today abandoned machinery used to construct the canal is rusting away. The project was a highly controversial one, and in 1979 the Wildlife Clubs of South Sudan (WCSS) was established, which led the campaign against its construction. * The Dinka are a mainly agro-pastoral people inhabiting the Bahr el Ghazal region of the Nile basin, Jonglei and parts of southern Kordufan and Upper Nile (Upper Nile, Sudan) regions. They number around 1.5 million, about 10% of the population Ancient Historical Society Virtual Museum, 2010 of Sudan. thumb 300px right Saharan trade routes circa 1400 (File:Niger saharan medieval trade routes.PNG)


Ar-Raqqah

to weaken Ali's position, but did not resolve the tensions that were plaguing the empire. To the Shia, Ali ibn Abi Talib was the first Imam (Imam (Shia Islam)). To Sunnis, Ali ibn Abi Talib was the fourth Rashidun Caliph, and Muawiyah the first Caliph of the Ummayyad dynasty. The events surrounding the battle are highly controversial between Sunni and Shia, and serve as part of the split between the two groups. Stoneware, originating from 9th century Iraq, was also


Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services

publisher Whitehouse.gov date July 7, 2010 accessdate May 30, 2011 Of the three appointments, Berwick's was highly controversial, because his nomination had not been vetted by the United States Senate Committee on Finance and because those in opposition to the move suggested that Obama was trying to avoid tough questions about the recently passed healthcare reform law.


Djenné

;nbsp;km west of San and 110 km upstream from Djenné.

downstream of Douna and 110 km upstream of Djenné. The dam is located at The environmental impact assessment commissioned by the African Development Bank


Mendocino, California

of the band's actions to sever ties with manager Michael Jeffrey, Whose legacy as a music manager remains highly controversial: see Michael Jeffrey (Michael Jeffrey (manager)). the band relocated to San Francisco as of 1970, and later settled in the Mendocino (Mendocino, California) area. By the time of their 1970 second album, ''Albion Do-Wah'', they were joined by Jay Ungar (violin, mandolin, guitar, & vocals), Paul


Tôlanaro

ming hvym af md p0005.htm Madagascar - Mining: Heavy Minerals Mining Mining corporation Rio Tinto Group started production at its Fort Dauphin mine in January 2009, following several years of infrastructure preparation. The mining project is highly controversial, with Friends of the Earth and other environmental organizations filing reports to detail their concerns about effects on the local


Kingdom of Gwent

was the Kingdom of Gwent, and Caradog appears to have been able to add Morgannwg during his early career. He first appears in the historical record in 1065. Harold Godwinson, after defeating Gruffydd ap Llywelyn in 1063 had begun to build a hunting lodge in Portskewet. Caradog attacked and destroyed it, going on to ravage the district with his forces. thumb left Places mentioned in the 'Book of Llandaff (Image:Tewdrig.Book.of.Llandaff.jpg)' The early history of diocese is, however, highly

controversial, because the chief authority, the diocesan charters in the Book of Llandaff, though dating from the late 6th century, were considerably doctored to raise Llandaff's profile when they were copied in the early 12th century. Similarly, the saints' 'lives' therein have little basis in fact. Gilbert Hunter Doble and others have clearly demonstrated that there is no evidence that Saints Dubricius and Teilo had anything to do with Llandaff. Dubricius was only active in Ergyng and Gwent (Kingdom of Gwent), while Teilo's associations with Llandaff have been transferred from his great abbey at Llandeilo Fawr. ) is the book of authority (books of authority) on English common law, and scholars have held that it owes a debt to Norman law and to Germanic law, and not to Roman law. The ''Book of Llandaff'' places Tewdrig's story in the territory of the historical Kingdom of Gwent (the southeastern part of modern Monmouthshire), though it states that he was a king of Glywysing. The ancient histories of the kingdoms of Gwent and Glywysing are intertwined, and he may have ruled both kingdoms. Cynan is the addressee of a poem ascribed to (though not composed by) the poet Taliesin, where he is presented as a warlord who led many successful campaigns throughout Wales: on the River Wye, against the men of Gwent (Kingdom of Gwent), on Anglesey, and in Dyfed (where his opponent in Dyfed may have been Aergul Lawhir ap Tryffin), Brycheiniog and Cornwall. Unlike his son, he is never described as having ever faced the English in battle. History The church (church (building)) of St. Bridget or Brigid (Brigid of Kildare) is set in quiet countryside, adjoining the site of a deserted medieval village. Geograph photo of deserted village It was traditionally founded by Brochwael, the son of Meurig (Meurig ap Tewdrig) of Gwent (Kingdom of Gwent), in the 10th century. Joseph Bradney, ''A History of Monmouthshire: The Hundred of Caldicot'', 1933 The church tower dates from the 13th or 14th century, but the body of the church was rebuilt in the 19th century after it became dilapidated. John Newman, ''The Buildings of Wales: Gwent Monmouthshire'', 2000, ISBN 0-14-071053-1 In the autumn the besieged army left Chester, marched down to the south of Wales and devastated the Welsh kingdoms of Brycheiniog, Gwent (Kingdom of Gwent) and Glywysing until the summer of 894. They return via Northumbria, the Danish held midlands of the Five Burghs, and East Anglia to return to the fort at Mersea Island. In the autumn of 894, the army towed their ships up the Thames to a new fort on the River Lea. In the summer of 895 Alfred arrived with the West Saxon army, and obstructed the course of the Lea with a fort either side of the river. The Danes abandoned their camp, returned their woman to East Anglia and made another great march across the Midlands to a site on the Severn (where Bridgnorth now stands), followed all the way by hostile forces. There they stayed until the spring of 896 when the army finally dispersed into East Anglia, Northumbria and the Seine. History The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Lamecare'. The name (Welsh placenames) means Mary's (''Mair'' ''Fair'') church (''llan'') under (''is'') the wood (''coed''). The 'd' at the start of Discoed only appears in more recent versions of the name. The correct Welsh language name is ''Llanfair Is Coed'' or ''Llanfair-iscoed''. The wood refers to Wentwood, which at the time of the Kingdom of Gwent separated the ''cantref'' of Gwent Is Coed ("this side of the wood", as envisaged from Caerwent), from that of Gwent Uwch Coed ("beyond the wood"). Miranda Aldhouse-Green and Ray Howell (eds.), ''Gwent In Prehistory and Early History: The Gwent County History Vol.1'', 2004, ISBN 0-7083-1826-6


Ajax, Ontario

with Centenary Health Centre in Scarborough (Scarborough, Ontario) to become part of the Rouge Valley Health System. Construction on a $60 million expansion began in 2007, although that has been marred by the highly controversial closure of the 3 West Mental Health ward in 2008, which was originally to be part of the expansion. Emergency services Ajax is policed by the Durham Regional Police from a station in Pickering. Ambulance emergency medical services are provided by Durham Region. Ajax Fire & Emergency Services provides firefighting services from three fire stations. Transportation In 1973, the Town of Ajax conducted a survey of potential transit ridership in Ajax. This led to the creation of Ajax Transit with bus service beginning in 1973 under a contract with Charterways Transportation Limited, which operated service using a fleet of school buses, with heaviest ridership between the Pickering Beach area and downtown Ajax. In the late 1970s, the town brought the operations in house and began operations on the Elm, Duffins, and Beach routes, which exist to this day. In the early 1980s, the Harwood, Westney Heights, and Village routes began service. Service on the Puckrin route began in the late 1980s. In 2001, Ajax Transit and the neighbouring Pickering Transit were amalgamated into the Ajax Pickering Transit Authority (Ajax-Pickering Transit) (APTA), which operated under the joint ownership and oversight of Ajax and Pickering. In 2006, APTA was amalgamated into Durham Region Transit along with the other municipal transit services in Durham Region. Road transportation in Ajax is dominated by Highway 401 (Ontario Highway 401), which runs east-west through the town dividing it in half. Access to Highway 401 both east and west is available via Westney Road and Salem Road. Only four streets allow transportation from the north end of town to the south end of town by crossing over or under Highway 401. These streets are (from west to east) Church Street, Westney Road, Harwood Avenue and Salem Road. Lakeridge Road crosses the highway, but it is traditionally held to be the border between the towns of Ajax and Whitby. Notable streets that run parallel to the highway are (from north to south) Taunton Road, Rossland Road, Kingston Road (Highway 2) and Bayly Street. The closest international airport to Ajax is Toronto Pearson International Airport, located 50 kilometres to the west in Mississauga. Education CKGE 94.9 (CKGE-FM) group5 York Region (Regional Municipality of York) - colspan "4" '''Ajax (Ajax, Ontario)''' - ''Main article (Ajax municipal election, 2006)'' - frequency 95.9 MHz (FM (FM radio)) city Ajax (Ajax, Ontario), Ontario area Oshawa, Durham Region (Durham Region, Ontario), Toronto (Greater Toronto Area) '''CJKX-FM''' is a Canadian (Canada) radio station. Although its official city of licence is Ajax, Ontario, the station operates from studios in Oshawa, Ontario with co-owned stations CKDO (CKDO (AM)) and CKGE (CKGE-FM). Airing at 95.9 FM (FM radio), the station broadcasts a country music format branded as '''KX96'''. * It was one of a few sub-contractors to GO Transit during GO's early years. * It also operated municipal transit (Mass transit) in Ajax, Ontario from 1969 to 1973. Service was which provided using a fleet of school buses, with heaviest ridership between the Pickering Beach area and downtown Ajax. * Trial transit operator in Whitby in 1976, then as contractor for Whitby Transit up to the early 1990s


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017