Places Known For

good fishing


Puerto Ángel

and other seafood is caught. Tuna and lobster is most plentiful during times when the water temperature is cooler. The pier is built to too high for fishing boats, but there is good fishing off the main pier, with many catching fish the size of speckled trout but the shape of tuna. It is also a popular meeting place at dusk and dawn. Playa Principal is connected to the bay’s other beach by a stone walkway that goes over the rocky cliff that divides the two. It is called the “andador.” Waves crash on the boulders below the walkway and can spray seawater onto the path at high tide. After crossing the andador, one arrives to Playa Panteón, which translates to “Cemetery Beach.” This beach is named for the community cemetery that lies just behind it. The sand is less fine, but it is a little more sheltered than Playa Principal and is popular for snorkeling around the rocks. This beach is lined with restaurants and lounge chairs and have lifeguards, which is not common in Mexico. thumb Playa Boquilla (File:PlayaBoquilla.JPG) In addition to the two beaches in the bay proper, there are a number of small isolated coves with beaches just to the east of Puerto Angel. These include Playa Ixtacahuite, Playa La Mina, Playa La Boquilla and Playa La Tijera. Ixtacahuite Beach is best for scuba diving and recreational fishing because it is next to a coral reef. La Boquilla Beach is on a small shallow bay and is best for snorkeling. It can be reached by road with a rugged vehicle but is easier to arrive by boat from Puerto Angel. There is a restaurant that's open during the high season seasons. thumb left Cafe Maya housed in a palapa (File:CafeMayaZipolite.JPG)


Ashburton, New Zealand

-casting. In part to rectify the limitations imposed by the lack of recreational waterways, Lake Hood was constructed just south-east of Tinwald. It provides rowing, swimming, and water-skiing opportunities. The Ashburton (Ashburton River, New Zealand), Rakaia (Rakaia River), and Rangitata Rivers offer good fishing, the Rakaia in particular is renowned worldwide for its salmon fishing. Upper reaches of the Rangitata are frequently kayaked and rafted, reaching Grades 3-4. The Rakaia is known


Moses Lake, Washington

in 1942 and irrigation water pumped from Grand Coulee Dam in 1955 offered newcomers a reason and a way to settle in an area that previously had little to offer other than good fishing and a place to water sheep and cattle. Moses Lake was quickly transformed into a hub for a vast region where transportation, agriculture and recreation came together. The air base was built to train World War II pilots to fly the P-38 Lightning and B-17 Flying Fortress, two planes that were essential to the war effort. The base was closed after the war ended, but reopened in 1948 as a U.S. Air Force base and test area for Boeing’s B-47 Stratojet and B-50 Superfortress. The B-47 tests led to development of modern commercial jetliners still used today. Fighter jets were stationed there to protect Grand Coulee Dam to the north and the Hanford site to the south. Boeing still uses the airport as a test and evaluation facility for its aircraft. Japan Airlines used the airport as a training area from November 1968 until March 2009. The old air base is now owned by the Port of Moses Lake and is home to Grant County International Airport, Big Bend Community College and several businesses. Farmers, meanwhile, had developed new methods to irrigate water from the lake and from the Columbia River and began planting expansive irrigated acreage. When the Columbia Basin Project was completed in the mid-1950s, farms expanded by thousands of acres, growing potatoes, corn, onions, carrots and sugar beets. In little more than a decade, Moses Lake’s population grew from 300 to 2,679 in 1950. Today, the population is 21,419 (2014 estimate). Larson Air Force Base Grant County Airport Larson AFB (Grant County International Airport), five miles from the city of Moses Lake, Washington, originally was named Moses Lake Army Air Base. It was activated on 24 November 1942 as a World War II training center. Major Donald A. Larson, for whom the base was later renamed, was from Yakima, Washington. The Secretary of Defense announced on 19 November 1965 that Larson was to be closed by June of the following year. Larson Air Force Base, since renamed Grant County International Airport, is now a world-class heavy jet training and testing facility used by the Boeing Company, the U.S. Military and NASA. Grant County Int'l Airport. Retrieved 11 January 2011. Columbia Pacific Aviation now handles charter passenger service to and from Moses Lake. Columbia Pacific Aviation. Retrieved 11 January 2011. With road through Moses Lake from US 10 (later Interstate 90 (Interstate 90 (Washington))) PSH 18 in the southwest to SSR 11G (Secondary State Route 11G (Washington)) in the northeast. Today, this route is SR 171 (Washington State Route 171). The leg from SSR 11G (today's SR 17 (Washington State Route 17)) to the Odessa area has never been constructed and is not part of the modern state route system.


Snezhnoye, Chukotka Autonomous Okrug

name "Strogoff" and about upstream from Anadyr. Gray (2004), p. 4 The river provides good fishing all year round and a wide variety of mushrooms and berries allow the residents to supplement their diet through foraging. Gray (1997a), p. 1 Snezhnoye lies within


Balaklava

of Balaklava; the name is sometimes said to be from a Turkish (Turkish language) ''Balıklava'' "(good) fishing ground," Seslisözlük, Balıklava entry but the former Greek name Palakion is a more probable origin. John Buchan Telfer, ''The Crimea and Transcaucasia'' (H.S. King & Company, 1876), p. 33. W.R.S. Ralston, "Russia," in ''Picturesque Europe


Comox, British Columbia

, the village remained isolated from the outside world other than by ship until roads and a railway were built into the area during the First World War. The installation of an air force base near the village during the Second World War brought new prosperity to the area, and in recent years, Comox has become a popular tourist attraction due to its good fishing, local wildlife, year-round golf and proximity to the Mount Washington ski area (Mount Washington Alpine Resort), the Forbidden


Cambridge Bay

17 February 2008 ) is a hamlet (Hamlet (place)) located on Victoria Island (Victoria Island (Canada)) in the Kitikmeot Region (Kitikmeot Region, Nunavut) of Nunavut, Canada. It is named for Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, while the traditional Inuinnaqtun name for the area is ''Ikaluktuutiak'' (old orthography) or ''Iqaluktuttiaq'' (new orthography) meaning "good fishing place". The traditional language (Inuit language) of the area


Iqaluit

River, the '''Sylvia Grinnell Territorial Park''' contains some excellent tundra scenery. Several hiking trails run along the river, which has good fishing, while another leads to a waterfall. On the bank of the river is an ancient camping ground ('''Crystal II''' archaeological site) used by the Dorset and Thule peoples. You will need to have local assistance to find the site. Caribou


Manchester, New Hampshire

and the West Side of Manchester Pennacook Indians (Native Americans of the United States) called it Namoskeag, meaning "good fishing place"—a reference to the Amoskeag Falls in the Merrimack River. "Manchester: A Brief Record of Its


Mauritius

residential, commercial and industrial. The population is estimated at 81,773. The '''Soudan Banks''' are a group of underwater high points and reefs off the coast of Africa, known for their good fishing and administered by Mauritius. The five banks (actually a single feature) lie on the Mascarene plateau (Mascarene Plateau). North Soudan contains large salmon stocks. South Soudan is the largest of the banks


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017