C. B. Tillinghast. The free public libraries of Massachusetts. 1st Report of the Free Public Library Commission of Massachusetts. Boston: Wright & Potter, 1891. Bigelow Free Public Library Retrieved 2010-11-10 In fiscal year 2008, the town of Clinton spent 0.99% ($325,383) of its budget on its public library—some $23 per person. July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008; cf. The FY2008 Municipal Pie: What’s Your Share? Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Library Commissioners. Boston: 2009. Available: Municipal Pie Reports. Retrieved 2010-08-04 Notable people *Clarence Brown, film director *Fred J. Douglas, former US Congressman *Tim Fortugno, former Major League Baseball pitcher *Carroll Gibbons, musician *Joseph L. Gormley, chief of chemistry and toxicology for the FBI *Sliding Billy Hamilton (Billy Hamilton (baseball, born 1866)), member of Baseball Hall of Fame *Mal Kittridge, baseball player '''Timothy Shawn Fortugno''' (born April 11, 1962, in Clinton, Massachusetts) is a former Major League Baseball pitcher. He graduated in 1980 from Uxbridge High School (Uxbridge High School (Massachusetts)) (Uxbridge, Massachusetts).
, restaurants, motels, clubs, retail shops, pubs, sporting venues and a marina. Public Facilities QantasLink and Virgin Australia Airlines operate from Geraldton Airport with daily flights to and from Perth. General aviation services include charter flights to the Abrolhos Islands, to WA minesites and to various tourist destinations. The main passenger terminal is equipped with a licensed café, a private lounge for hire and a free public WiFi hotspot. Flight training schools
:0xae0f46f0ebdfbeab Greater Geraldton Regional Library at 37 Marine Terrace, is open seven days a week and provides free access to the Internet via a public WiFi hotspot—a courtesy service of the City of Greater Geraldton. Other free public WiFi hotspots are available along the Geraldton Foreshore from the marina to the Esplanade.Free public WiFi hotspot locations in Geraldton The Geraldton Batavia Coast Marina consists
Lipetsk is a big industrial center with agricultural background and provincial atmosphere, despite its half million population. The city was founded in the beginning of 18th century, but became a growing regional capital only in 1954, when Lipetsk Oblast was formed. That is why it lacks architectural heritage and cultural legacy. Traditionally, Lipetsk has been one of the most socialistic cities in Russia. For some 10-15 years after Soviet Union collapse the city authorities provided free public transport and telephone service for locals. This costed additional tax to the city business. Now the situation has changed: Lipetsk Oblast became one of Russian 6 Special Economic Zones with tax reduction for local companies. Visited mainly by business travellers, Lipetsk is not a major tourist destination. So, while you are in business trip you can discover the provincial charm of this city. You can also use Lipetsk as a convenient stopover in a road trip from Moscow to Southern Russia or escape there for a weekend from hustle and bustle of Moscow. Get in wikipedia:Lipetsk
in South Dakota. Severson, Trudy. - "History of the Homestake Gold Mine". - Homestake Visitor Center. Lead was originally founded as a company town by the Homestake Mining Company, which ran the nearby Homestake Mine. Phoebe Hearst, wife of one of the principals, was instrumental in making Lead more livable. She established the Hearst Free Public Library in town, and in 1900 the Hearst Free Kindergarten. Phoebe Hearst and Thomas Grier, the Homestake Mine superintendent worked together to create the Homestake Opera House and Recreation Center for the benefit of miner workers and their families. Phoebe Hearst donated regularly to Lead's churches, and provided college scholarships to the children of mine and mill workers. Smith, Duane A. - "Here's to low-grade ore and plenty of it, the Hearsts and the Homestake mine". - ''Mining Engineering''. - September 2003. - p.23-27. In the early 1930s, due to fear of cave ins of the miles of tunnels under Lead's Homestake Mine, many of the town’s buildings located in the bottom of a canyon were moved further uphill to safer locations. "City Moved to Make Room for a Gold Mine" April 1933, ''Popular Mechanics'' Lead and the Homestake Mine have been selected as the site of the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, a proposed NSF facility for low-background experiments on neutrinos, dark matter, and other nuclear physics topics, as well as biology and mine engineering studies. News: "Team Selected for the Proposed Design of the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory". - U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF). In 1974, most of Lead was added to the National Register of Historic Places under the name of the "Lead Historic District". Over four hundred buildings and
The City Project title Historic - Cultural Monuments (HCM) Listing url http: www.cityprojectca.org ourwork documents HCMDatabase090707.pdf accessdate 9 September 2012 * Self-Help Graphics and Art, the first community-based organization in the country to create a free public celebration of Day of the Dead. * Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center Keck School of Medicine of USC * Los Angeles County Department of Coroner * Estrada Courts Murals (Estrada Courts) * Evergreen Cemetery (Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles) * Hazard Park * Mariachi Plaza * Hollenbeck Park * Linda Vista Community Hospital (former Santa Fe Coast Lines Hospital) * Sears Building (Sears, Roebuck & Company Mail Order Building (Los Angeles, California)), Olympic Boulevard (Olympic Boulevard (Los Angeles)) and Soto St. * Malabar Public Library (Los Angeles Public Library) * Lucha Underground temple, where ''Lucha Underground'' is taped. in 1976. El Sereno sits atop the Monterey Hills (Monterey Hills, Los Angeles) that separate the Los Angeles Basin from the San Gabriel Valley, and is the easternmost district in the city of Los Angeles. It is bordered by Monterey Hills (Monterey Hills, Los Angeles) and South Pasadena (South Pasadena, California) on the north, Alhambra (Alhambra, California) on the east, University Hills (University Hills, Los Angeles) on the southeast, City Terrace (City Terrace, California) on the south, Boyle Heights (Boyle Heights, Los Angeles) on the southwest, Lincoln Heights (Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles) on the west, and Montecito Heights (Montecito Heights, Los Angeles) on the northwest. Principal thoroughfares include Huntington Drive; Valley Boulevard; Eastern and Alhambra Avenues; and Soto Street. The district lies within ZIP code 90032. Early life She was born '''Josephine M. Workman''' in Boyle Heights, California (Boyle Heights, Los Angeles), and baptized at the Plaza Church (La Iglesia de Nuestra Senora Reina de los Angeles), Los Angeles, when she was four months old, "Old Baptismal Book In Court --- Plaza Church Tome Evidence in Million Dollar Case --- Used to Prove Age of Heir to the Workman Estate --- Many Pioneers Witnesses in Battle for Rich Lands." ''Los Angeles Times''. Mar. 3, 1920. p. II 1. the daughter of Joseph Manuel Workman (1833–1901) "Death of J.M. Workman --- One of the Old-time Residents of Los Angeles County Passes Away at the Age of Seventy-one." ''Los Angeles Times''. Mar. 14, 1901. p. 11. and Josephine Mary Belt (1851–1937). Her siblings were Mary Cristina Workman (1870–1963); Agnes Elizabeth Workman (1872–1957); Marie Lucile "Lucy" Workman (1875–1944); William Joseph Workman (1877–1956); George D. Workman (1879–1903); and Nellie Workman (1886–1888). Early life Boyle Workman was born in Los Angeles, California, the son of William H. Workman (1839–1918) and Maria Elizabeth Boyle (1847–1933). He attended St. Vincent's College (Loyola Marymount University#History), which then stood at Seventh Street and Broadway (Broadway (Los Angeles)). From his home in Boyle Heights (Boyle Heights, Los Angeles), he rode horseback to school. In 1884, he entered Santa Clara College (Santa Clara University) for a time, but returned to St. Vincent's College and graduated in 1887. Huizar is a naturalized American citizen, a native of the Mexican state of Zacatecas. Huizar was raised in the Boyle Heights (Boyle Heights, Los Angeles) neighborhood of Los Angeles and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from U.C. Berkeley (University of California, Berkeley), a Master’s in Public Affairs and Urban and Regional Planning from Princeton University, and his Juris Doctor from UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) School of Law. He still lives in the community he has called home most of his life, the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles http: maps.google.com maps?q 605+Britannia+Ave%0ALos+Angeles,+CA+90033&layer c&sll 34.050811,-118.212658&cbp 13,295.43,,0,-1.21&cbll 34.050711,-118.212389&hl en&gl us&sspn 0.006295,0.006295&ie UTF8&hq &hnear 605+Brittania+St,+Los+Angeles,+California+90033&ll 34.053077,-118.214446&spn 0,0.010986&t h&z 17&panoid ufBwN5CX4Y9n3WFMWQBp8g , with his wife Richelle, their daughters Emilia and Isabella Rose, Aviana, and son Simon.
350px Riverplace Station on the Southbank Line of the Jacksonville Skyway Downtown Jacksonville transportation options include bus (Jacksonville Transportation Authority), monorail (JTA Skyway), water taxi (Jacksonville Water Taxi), as well as major roadways. Public transportation Downtown is served by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority's zero-fare (Free public transport) automated people mover (JTA Skyway) system (known as the "Skyway") and an extensive bus
in development and numerous farmgate retailers, now featured on the Norfolk County agriculture website. Culture The Norfolk County Public Library has branches in Delhi, Port Dover, Port Rowan, Simcoe and Waterford. The Simcoe branch, an Ontario Historic Site, was created in 1884 on Peel Street after a mechanics' institute was closed and its property donated for the creation of a free public library. The original building was used until 1912, when it was replaced with a new library building constructed as a one of the Carnegie libraries. Libraries Today - Simcoe Public Library, free public library 1884 Delhi’s Backstage Capitol Theatre, with its superior acoustics and intimate setting, attracts audiences and performers alike from all over North America. Open year round, the theatre not only plays host to live performances and concerts, it is also a sought after venue for private functions with its European courtyard setting. Thousands of people looking for a unique venue have walked through the doors of the Theatre. Re-opened in 2008 the theatre has quickly become one of Norfolk's most popular destinations. The Lighthouse Festival Theatre Company has produced live theatre at Port Dover's old town hall (under the clock tower) since 1981. The Theatre is open year round and provides a variety of events, including concerts, public meetings, community fund raisers, dance recitals, workshops, band rehearsals and classes. Annually, more than 36000 people now attend events at Lighthouse Theatre. In addition to enriching the cultural fabric of Norfolk and beyond, Lighthouse bolsters the local economy, drawing tourists from out of town who then dine, shop and stay over in the community. Waterford's Old Town Hall is home to many local theatre productions. This restored historic building, built in 1902, includes an auditorium with stage, seating for 180, and provides cultural diversity to the community in its capacity as a venue for musical, artistic and theatrical productions, a meeting hall and rental facility. Museums Port Dover Harbour Museum The Port Dover Harbour Museum, housed in an original fisherman's net shanty, commemorates Port Dover's fishing industry. The galleries present exhibits on the days of commercial sail as well as Lake Erie shipwrecks, ship building, Long Point, the War of 1812 and other aspects of lakeside life in this community. The museum is also active in the preservation and presentation of local folklore and living traditions, particularly in the areas of fishing and lakeside history. Since 2002, the museum has been the home to a collection of artifacts from the 1852 wreck of the steamer Atlantic. Waterford Heritage & Agricultural Museum The Waterford Heritage & Agricultural Museum is located in Waterford's best known industrial landmarks “The Pickle Factory”. The museum exhibits the social, industrial, and agricultural history of the area through the use of interactive and engaging exhibits. Eva Brook Donly Museum The Eva Brook Donly Museum is a Victorian-period historic house museum that has been featuring displays of local history since it first opened in 1946. Located in downtown Simcoe and operated by the Norfolk Historical Society, which formed in 1900, the museum is renowned for its collections of artwork by the late William Edgar Cantelon and Eva Brook Donly. Here, you can see Dr. Troyer's infamous witch trap, Abigail Becker's gold medal presented to her for having rescued stranded sailors in 1854, an original Van Norman stove and much more. The museum also has an extensive archival collection of local genealogical historical material, including photographs, diaries, wills, legal papers, vital statistics, maps and more. Teeterville Pioneer Museum The Teeterville Pioneer Museum is a museum devoted to pioneer (Settler) life in the 19th century. It includes antique farm equipment as well as home and garden tools. Delhi Tobacco Museum and Heritage Centre The Delhi Tobacco Museum and Heritage Centre displays the agricultural (agriculture) and cultural history of the former township. Despite a province-wide smoking ban, the museum still guarantees its patrons the benefits of viewing the artistry and science of tobacco farming during the ''Golden Years'' of growing tobacco. It is located near Quances Dam. There is also a park nearby that is enjoyed by the local residents for picnics, barbecues, and for walking around with. It is closed on Sundays and major holidays. Backus Mill Heritage and Conservation Centre The Backus Mill Heritage and Conservation Centre, an open air museum featuring a historic grist mill and a nature center, is a National Historic Site (National Historic Site of Canada). Festivities Summary Unlike the majority of Haldimand or Norfolk County, Nanticoke a highly industralized community. Its industries supply up to 4000MW of electric energy to Southern Ontario through the Nanticoke Generating Station. This community is southeast of Simcoe (Simcoe, Ontario) in neighbouring Norfolk County (Norfolk County, Ontario) and south of Brantford (Brantford, Ontario). Nanticoke's residential area is bordered on the west by the Nanticoke Industrial Park, home to the U. S. Steel Canada Lake Erie Works (Stelco Lake Erie Works) and a number of smaller businesses, including Nelson Steel, Charles Jones Industrial , ESM, and Air Products. The neighbouring Esso Refinery Nanticoke on the northeast, and the Nanticoke Generating Station on the southeast are not part of the Industrial Park land, although this is frequently confused due to their proximity.
and continuing for almost four decades, all transit service in downtown was free (free public transport), as downtown was entirely within TriMet's Fareless Square, which also covered the nearby Lloyd District (Lloyd District, Portland, Oregon) after 2001. However, in 2010, free rides became limited to MAX and streetcar service – no longer covering bus service – and the zone renamed the "Free Rail Zone",
of four barges . The Director General of the United States Railroad Administration took over jurisdiction and operation of the canal four days later under a presidential proclamation. The United States Army Corps of Engineers re-dredged the channel to 25 feet deep while it remained under government control until 1920. In 1928, the government purchased the canal for use as a free public waterway. The purchase price was $11,400,000, and $21,000,000 was spent between 1935 to 1940 increasing the canal's width to 480 feet, and its depth to 32 feet. Reid, August 1965, pp.85-86 As a result, the canal became the widest sea level canal in the world. http: www.nae.usace.army.mil recreati ccc Navigation navigation.htm The southern entrance to the canal was rebuilt for direct access from Buzzards Bay rather than through Phinney Harbor. Before construction began, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, built a huge scale model, of 9 feet to a mile, of the canal to study the effects of tidal currents on the enlarged and re-routed canal. "Model of Cape Cod Canal Helps Study of Channel" ''Popular Mechanics'', April 1936 His visit to Cape Cod in 1797 coincided with the division of the town of Eastham into two towns, one of which took the name of Orleans, possibly in his honour. During their sojourn, the Orléans princes travelled throughout the country, visiting as far south as Nashville (Nashville, Tennessee) and as far north as Maine. The brothers were even held in Philadelphia briefly during an outbreak of yellow fever. Louis Philippe is also thought to have met Isaac Snow of Orleans (Orleans, Massachusetts), Massachusetts, who had escaped to France from a British prison hulk during the American Revolution. In 1839, while reflecting on his visit to the United States, Louis Philippe explained in a letter to Guizot (François Guizot) that his three years there had a large influence on his later political beliefs and judgments when he became king. History Originally settled by the Nauset tribe, Eastham was the site where in 1621 a hunting expedition comprised from the crew of the sailing vessel ''Mayflower'', which had stopped in Provincetown harbor on Cape Cod Bay after a rough crossing of the Atlantic Ocean, which led to the first encounter of the Pilgrims (Pilgrim (Plymouth Colony)) and the local Nauset Indians at First Encounter Beach. The area would not be settled by Europeans, however, until 1644. The original lands included what are now the towns of Truro (Truro, Massachusetts), Wellfleet (Wellfleet, Massachusetts), Eastham, Orleans (Orleans, Massachusetts) and a small portion of Chatham (Chatham, Massachusetts). Eastham town was officially incorporated in 1651. Birthplace of '''Freeman Hatch''', who in 1853 set the world record (which still stands) for a single-hull wooden sailing vessel from San Francisco around Cape Horn to Boston aboard the clipper ship '''''Northern Light'''''. Fishing and especially farming were early industries in the town, and writers and artists also came to the town. In fact, it was in Eastham that Henry Beston wrote ''The Outermost House.'' The town is discussed at some length in Henry David Thoreau's (Henry David Thoreau) ''Cape Cod'' as the somewhat rugged site of one of New England's largest summer "camp-meeting" evangelistic gatherings in the mid-19th century. The gatherings were at times attended by at least "one hundred and fifty ministers, (!) and five thousand hearers" at a site called Millennium Grove, in the northwest part of town. (The area is now a residential neighborhood, the only reminder being Millennium Lane.) thumb left 200px Nauset Light (File:Nauset Light 1.jpg), Cape Cod National Seashore According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of north–south New England Interstate Route from Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts (at NE-3) to Ossipee, New Hampshire (at NE-16) via Boston and Manchester, New Hampshire. The portion in Massachusetts has since been extended east into Cape Cod (along the original alignment of NE-3) and currently ends at the Orleans Rotary in the town of Orleans (Orleans, Massachusetts) with US 6 and Route 6A (Route 6A (Massachusetts)).