Places Known For

famous black


York, Ontario

of Long Branch (Long Branch, Ontario), Swansea (Swansea, Toronto), and Forest Hill (Forest Hill, Toronto); and the townships (Township (Canada)) of Etobicoke, York (York, Ontario), North York, East York, and Scarborough (Scarborough, Ontario). One of the most famous Black-dominated urban neighbourhoods in Canada is Montreal's Little Burgundy, regarded as the spiritual home of Canadian jazz due to its association with many of Canada's most influential early jazz


Popayán

who demanded a day of rest in which they would be truly free. To preserve social peace, the Spanish Crown granted to this end the 5 January: That news was announced by Proclame in Popayán and thus was 5 January declared free day for people of color, the black population of the capital of Cauca (Cauca Department) took to the streets dancing to African music and began to paint the famous black-white walls of that town. Later this custom was watered to the south, taking an unusual


Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

and the Grenadines Saint Vincent and the Grenadines issued $5, $2, $1, and 60¢ Michael Jackson stamps in 1985, as part of its ''Leaders Of The World'' series. Tanzania (w:Tanzania) issued a 350s stamp, part of a ''Famous Black Entertainers'' set, in 1990. Guinea (w:Guinea) issued a 500f stamp in 1991. St Vincent issued another $2 Jackson stamp in 1991, as part of ''Famous Entertainers'' series. And Grenada (w:Grenada) issued a 60¢ Jackson stamp, part of its ''Gold Record Winners


Baden-Württemberg

-wuerttemberg.de en our-state holiday-destination-and-centre-of-culture Baden-Württemberg ''' is a federal state (''Bundesland'') in Germany. Its world famous Black Forest and the celebrated, romantic city of Heidelberg are top tourist destinations within Germany and Central Europe, but there is much more to see. It's part of the southern German speaking world where dialect and tradition remain strong and shares many traditions with its neighbours in Alsace, France to the west and in Switzerland and Vorarlberg, (Austria) to the south. It's also much more rural and bucolic than central and northern Germany; this makes it a popular destination for visiting natural spas with supposed curative properties or going on long hikes in its many old-growth forests. Alternative spellings of the Land's name are Baden-Wuerttemberg and Baden-Wurttemberg. Regions


Grenada

of the most beautiful beaches in Grenada - secluded and close to the Grand Anse area. * '''Levera Beach''' nice secluded Beach in the north of Grenada with view of the Grenadines. * '''Bathway Beach''' a famous black-sand beach in the north of Grenada with a nature pool. * '''Black Bay Beach''' secluded black beach on the west coast of Grenada (close to the Concord Waterfalls) * '''Fort George''' above the main town of St. George´s with a beautiful view of the town and the Carenage. * '''Fort Frederick


Works Progress Administration

buildings. Today, the Kansas City Riverfront Bicycle Trail, a 20-mile bicycle route along the Missouri River around downtown Kansas City, also runs through the park and along the bluff. ''Porgy and Bess'', the WPA, ''The Swing Mikado'', and ''Carmen Jones'' George Gershwin's ''Porgy and Bess'' (1935) – starring Will Marion Cook's wife Abbie Mitchell among many others – is the most famous black musical of the 1930s. It is called a black musical because of the African American cast, even though neither the music or plot is of the “Negro inspiration” like the creators proclaim. "''Porgy and Bess'' marked the nadir in the history of black musical comedy, symbolizing the end of tradition and experimentation in black musical theater on Broadway". Woll, 175. This also led the Works Progress Administration to start the Federal Theater Project that established the Negro Unit with programs in twenty-two cities. This gave a new break to the struggling artists. The Negro Unit avoided musical comedies, but had a few musicals with black cast including Eubie Blake’s ''Swing It'', which closed in 1937 and lessened hope for the Federal Theater Project. right thumb Bill Robinson (File:HotmikadoBill.jpg) in ''The Hot Mikado'''''''The Hot Mikado''''' was a 1939 musical theatre adaptation of Gilbert and Sullivan's ''The Mikado'' with an African-American cast. Mike Todd originally produced it after the Federal Theatre Project turned down his offer to manage the WPA (Works Progress Administration) production of ''The Swing Mikado'' (another all-black adaptation of ''The Mikado''). The school's main hallway features a large Works Progress Administration mural entitled "Community Life in the 19th Century," by Ralph (Ralf) Henricksen and Emmanuel Jacobson, probably completed in 1936. The school also includes a library and a technology center. Horace Mann owns a large property called Field Park, which includes a blacktop, three playgrounds, and a center at which students play football (American football) and other after-school activities. * Reporting (Pulitzer Prize for Reporting): ** Thomas Lunsford Stokes of Scripps-Howard (E.W. Scripps Company) Newspaper Alliance for his series of articles on alleged intimidation of workers for the Works Progress Administration in Pennsylvania and Kentucky during an election. The articles were published in ''The New York World-Telegram''. * Correspondence (Pulitzer Prize for Correspondence): History The Savannah Arts Academy building is located on a site that was originally planned as a luxury tourist hotel called the Hotel Georgia. The Works Progress Administration, in the midst of the Great Depression, expressed interest in the site for use as the new Savannah High School, which was dedicated on June 15, 1937. After 61 years on Washington Avenue, Savannah High School (Savannah High School (Georgia)) classes were moved to a new building on Pennsylvania Avenue, leaving the structure available for the newly formed Savannah Arts Academy for the school year beginning August 1998. Natrona County High School was originally known as Casper High School in its early days. The current building was constructed between 1924 and 1941 in Collegiate Gothic (Gothic Revival architecture) style. It was partially built under the authority of the Works Progress Administration; the crest of the WPA visible in the sidewalks on the front campus. In exchange for the federal assistance, male student participation in the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps was mandatory until a few years after Kelly Walsh High School opened in 1965. The JROTC at NCHS is the second oldest unit in the nation and will be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2014. The 1933 programs, called "the First New Deal" by historians, represented a broad consensus; Roosevelt tried to reach out to business and labor, farmers and consumers, cities and countryside. By 1934, however, he was moving toward a more confrontational policy. After making gains in state governorships and in Congress, in 1934 Roosevelt embarked on an ambitious legislative program that came to be called "The Second New Deal." It was characterized by building up labor unions, nationalizing welfare by the WPA (Works Progress Administration), setting up Social Security (Social Security (United States)), imposing more regulations on business (especially transportation and communications), and raising taxes on business profits. Roosevelt's New Deal programs focused on job creation through public works projects as well as on social welfare programs such as Social Security (Social Security (United States)). It also included sweeping reforms to the banking system, work regulation, transportation, communications, and stock markets, as well as attempts to regulate prices. His policies soon paid off by uniting a diverse coalition of Democratic voters called the New Deal Coalition, which included labor unions, southerners, minorities (most significantly, Catholics and Jews), and liberals (political liberalism). This united voter base allowed Democrats to be elected to Congress and the presidency for much of the next 30 years. What distinguished Wheatraw’s recordings most of all is the quality of his lyrics. Like other successful performers, he sang of the concerns of urban African Americans removed from their rural roots. Some of his most memorable songs deal with the Repeal of Prohibition, a New Deal WPA (Works Progress Administration) Project, and slum clearance for urban renewal. His “stomps” project a unique personality, boastful and demonic. His songs on more mundane themes are extraordinarily varied. His lyrics, though seeming at times slap-dash or improvised, are at their best direct and vivid evocations of the black experience. Wheatstraw's significance as a poet is discussed at length by Paul Garon. Garon (ibid) Early life and career Crichlow was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1914 to Caribbean immigrants. He studied art at the School of Commercial Illustrating and Advertising Art in New York and New York University. Crichlow started work as an artist in a studio sponsored by Works Progress Administration's (Works Progress Administration) Federal Art Project. Augusta Savage was an early patron of his work as was the case for many of the artists of the Harlem Renaissance. It was built from 1939–42 (despite emergency building restrictions during World War II) on the farmland of the Catholic Protectory, a home for orphaned and troubled boys conducted by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, which relocated to Lincolndale (and still exists in) Westchester County. In 1974, approximately one-third of the complex was converted (Condo conversion) to condominiums, with the remaining portion, now ''Parkchester South Condominium'' converted later, in 1986. The complex is best known for its broad, tree-lined walkways between the distinctive red-brown buildings, and for its Works Progress Administration-style terracotta decorations on the buildings, that represent animal and human figures of many types. Many of these are the work of sculptor Joseph Kiselewski. thumb In 1919, Mora created this plaque memorial to Bret Harte (File:Detail of Bret Harte sculpture.jpg), mounted on the external wall of the Bohemian Club In 1907, Mora returned to California and married Grace Needham. Their son, Joseph Needham Mora, was born on March 8, 1908. The Moras moved to San Jose, California, where Mora continued his work. By 1919, he was sculpting for the Bohemian Club, including a memorial plaque dedicated to Bret Harte, completed in August 1919 and mounted on the outside of the private men's club building in San Francisco. In 1925, he designed the commemorative half dollar for the California Diamond Jubilee. During this period he also illustrated a number of books, made large murals, and published charts, maps (cartes) and diagrams of the West and Western themes. Beginning in 1937, Mora wrote and illustrated children's books about the West. In 1939, a Works Progress Administration project was completed, with Mora bas-relief sculpture adorning the King City High School theater building. Mora died October 10, 1947 in Monterey, California. thumb alt Poppy Girl, 1915 (File:J Mora - Poppy Girl.jpg) thumb The facade of the Robert Stanton Theater at King City High School (File:KingCityHS-RobertStantonTheater.jpg) in King City, California. Completed in 1939, this Works Progress Administration project featured bas-relief sculpture by Jo Mora Construction and history The building was opened in 1937 to replace the original library building (the "Old Libe," Fenton Hall, completed in 1907), which the University's collections had outgrown. Construction of the library was financed as a Depression-era (Great Depression) Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, spearheaded by Oregon senator (United States Senate) Frederick Steiwer and took more than two years to complete. "The New Libe" as the ''Oregon Daily Emerald'' student newspaper had christened the building, was designed by Ellis F. Lawrence of the Oregon-based architectural firm Lawrence, Holford, and Allyn. Lawrence was also a driving force in much of the core architecture of the UO campus and was the first Dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts (University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied Arts). The rich architecture of the building reflects an Art Deco aesthetic with "modernized Lombardy and Greco-Roman" elements as well as many integrated artistic embellishments including "the fifteen stone heads by Edna Dunberg and Louise Utter Pritchard, ornamental memorial gates by O. B. Dawson, carved wooden panels by Arthur Clough, and two large murals painted by Albert and Arthur Runquist." http: libweb.uoregon.edu knight history.html ...that the '''Nivelle Offensive''' during World War I involved around 1.2 million French (France) troops and over 7,000 guns? ...that American (United States) comics writer and artist '''Don Rico''' started his creative career in the Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project during the Great Depression? History The first building to house Lake Orion students was built in 1893 and served grades K-12. It was demolished in the 1930s by a Works Progress Administration project as part of the program designed by the Franklin Roosevelt administration as a way to provide jobs. In 1927 a new building was constructed that would house students for the next 30 years. Located within the Village of Lake Orion (Lake Orion), that building is still in use today as the Ehman Center, and is used by various businesses. In 1938, the WPA (Works Progress Administration) photographer Marion Post Wolcott took a photo of Geneva Varner Clark of Varnertown, the only area resident who at the time identified as Native American, and her three children. Theirs is the only photo of Lowcountry Indians in the Library of Congress. Its caption is "Indian (mixed breed -- 'brass ankles (Brass Ankles)') family near Summerville, South Carolina." She stands, her arms wrapped around her in the cold, with three children and a dog in the dirt and rocks in front of a pine-board house with a roof of tattered wooden shingles and thin stick porch columns that lean in on each other holding it up. Marion Post Wolcott, "Indian (mixed breed - brass ankle) family near Summerville, South Carolina", Library of Congress History Initially built in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration, over old tennis courts. It has undergone many renovations. In 1951 a lunchroom and 2 classrooms were added. In 2001 a renovation of Clairemont was completed. Improvements included new heating and air conditioning, a new media center, new classrooms and paving over most of the athletic field to expand the parking lot. In 2005, four new classrooms were added. Currently the school enrolls students in kindergarten through the third grade. History The area around Roxana began offering education in 1802 with the construction of '''Gilham's Pasture School''' on the northeast corner of what is now 13th Street and Edwardsville Road in Wood River, the current site of a Dairy Queen. Other general schools opened and closed throughout the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century; these include '''Brushy Grove School''' (not to be confused with its later incarnation, '''Brushey Grove School''') from 1858 to 1969, '''Roxana School''' from 1918 to 1926, '''Edison School''' from 1926 to 1936, and '''Burbank School''' starting in 1936. Burbank was built as a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project, and was named after botanist Luther Burbank. thumb 250px right Saint Paul Central High School, Marshall Ave and Lexington Parkway, 1912–1980 (Image:CHS-Marshall-Lexington-1912-1980-2-Approx-1912-opt10.jpg) A new school, designed by Clarence H. Johnston, Sr., was built in 1912 on the corner of Marshall Avenue and Lexington Parkway, and was attempted to be renamed Lexington High School; alumni, however, wanted to keep the moniker '''Central High School'''. A compromise was reached when the Minuteman (Minutemen) was adopted as a logo and mascot. In other words, the name of the school was retained, but for those who wanted the school to be named "Lexington," its logo and mascot were named after the colonial militia men of 1775 at Lexington, Massachusetts, who fought against the British in the first skirmishes of the War of Independence, and were required to be ready at a minute's notice. The adjacent stadium was built in the early 1940s by the WPA (Works Progress Administration), as denoted by a plaque on the brick facade of the stands. It was renamed James Griffin Stadium in 1998. Relief While local relief before 1932 focused on providing small sums of cash or baskets of food and coal for the neediest, the federal programs launched by Hoover and greatly expanded by the New Deal tried to use massive construction projects with prevailing wages to jumpstart the economy and solve the unemployment crisis. ERA, FERA (Federal Emergency Relief Administration), WPA (Works Progress Administration) and PWA (Public Works Administration) built and repaired the public infrastructure in dramatic fashion but did little to foster the recovery of the private sector. In sharp contrast to Britain, where private housing construction pulled the country out of depression, American cities saw little private construction or investment, and so they languished in the economic doldrums even as their parks, sewers, airports and municipal buildings were enhanced. The problem in retrospect was that the New Deal's investment in the public infrastructure had only a small "multiplier" effect, in contrast to the high multiplier for jobs that private investment might have created. Richard J. Jensen, "The Causes and Cures of Unemployment in the Great Depression." There were also small camps called hoovervilles that had very poor people living in them. , ''Journal of Interdisciplinary History'' (1989) 19:553-83. *1928: A home economics building is added to the campus. *1934: Depression-era WPA (Works Progress Administration) funding allows Chamblee High School to add eight new classrooms, a new gymnasium, a canning plant and a machine shop. The school becomes the first in DeKalb County to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. *December 8, 1941: the entire campus burns to the ground after fire breaks out. Classes are relocated to the area hospitals and Baptist and Methodist churches. In January 1937, Voorhis's first legislative initiative was to propose a dramatic increase in spending for the Works Progress Administration in order to increase employment. plot on which the school is situated cost $35,000. The school opened in the fall of 1939 with fifty faculty members and 1,250 pupils. In 1959, Kenmore East High School was opened as the district continued to grow. At that time, the Highland Parkway school officially became Kenmore West High School. Raymond S. Frazier was appointed to the position of principal of Kenmore West in 1952. ''A Brief History of Kenmore West High School''. Accessed July 16, 2006. * Nikolai Trubetzkoi Trubetskoy, Nikolai S. .''Grundzüge der Phonologie''. ''Principles of Phonology'' . ''Travaux du Cercle Linguistique de Prague'', 7. Prague, 1939. *WPA (Works Progress Administration) Federal Writers' Project, ''Life History Manuscripts from the Folklore Project'', 1936-1940. Online version: Library of Congress ''American Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936 - 1940'', Item 27 of 312 (Nebraska), "Charles Blooah" '''Sheboygan Municipal Auditorium and Armory''' (commonly known as '''The Armory''') is an indoor arena in Sheboygan (Sheboygan, Wisconsin), Wisconsin built in 1942 on the city's lakefront as a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. Mead Public Library timeline ''The Sheboygan Press'' "City may shut down Armory", Sept. 20, 2006, pages A1–A2 '''Harry Lloyd Hopkins (w:Harry Hopkins)''' (August 17, 1890 – January 29, 1946) was one of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's closest advisers. He was one of the architects of the New Deal, especially the relief programs of the Works Progress Administration (w:Works Progress Administration) (WPA), which he directed and built into the largest employer in the country. In World War II he was Roosevelt's chief diplomatic advisor and troubleshooter and was a key policy maker in the $50 billion Lend-Lease (w:Lend-Lease) program that sent aid to the allies.


The Bronx

days as a student in Englewood." Englewood is also home to other famous Black artists such as George Benson, Eddie Murphy, and Regina Belle. She Thang: Profiles—Sister Souljah There she attended Dwight Morrow High School. Wells, Amy Stuart. ''Both sides now: the story of school desegregation's graduates'', p. 56. University of California Press, 2009. ISBN 0520256778. "In fact, Dwight Morrow's 'artsy' reputation was buttressed by its many famous alums, including John Travolta, Sister Souljah, and Sarah Jessica Parker, to name a few." birth_date United States law enforcement officials announced the arrest Thursday of four men in connection with a plot to blow up two synagogues in The Bronx (w:The Bronx), a borough of New York City (New York, New York), and shoot down military airplanes flying out of the Stewart Air National Guard Base (w:Stewart Air National Guard Base). thumb left Satellite photo of Stewart Air National Guard Base (File:Stewartafb-ny-20apr1994.jpg)


Turin

are Turin in Italy and Grenoble in France. These are served by some of the UK's budget airlines such as EasyJet and Ryanair, providing easy access from many European cities. The Italian football club Juventus F.C. derived its famous black-and-white striped kits from Notts County. Juventus have played in black and white striped shirts, with white shorts, sometimes black shorts since 1903. Originally, they played in pink shirts with a black tie, which only occurred due to the wrong shirts


Cambodia

kilometers from the Gulf of Thailand. Kampot was best known for its famous black pepper, which is still widely available in Cambodia. The fresh climate and soil type of Kampot as well as the experience from several generations of pepper farmers make this pepper unique and much sought-after by gourmets worldwide. It is also famous for its Kampot fish sauce. General Croaking gouramis can reach an average size of about 5 centimeters, though some individuals can grow as large as 6


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017