of war. After Austria’s defeat in the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, Prague was declared an open city and, after lengthy negotiations, the municipality of Prague began with the cutting of the walls in 1874. The area near Vitkov received the majority of the railways, allowing the smooth connection of Prague and Žižkov. Žižkov, drawing on the advantage of its proximity to Prague, experienced extensive development. Earlier, as indicated by census figures, population growth in present-day Žižkov was slow and steady in the mid-19th century: 83 residents in 1843, 197 in 1850, 268 in 1857, and 292 in 1869. After 1865, however, development began in the space between Vitkov hill and Holy Cross (''Sv. Kříže'') hill and the population increased rapidly. By the 1880s, Žižkov had become a large town with 21,212 inhabitants. Another population census in 1890 counted 42,000 people in more than 750 houses! On 16 July 1875 the Regional Committee, despite the opposition of the municipal council, divided Královské Vinohrady into two parts: Vinohrady I and Vinohrady II. The name Žižkov was officially accepted for Vinohrady I in August 1877, instead of the name Rudolfov in honor of the Austrian crown prince. Vinohrady II became Královské Vinohrady that same year. The first mayor of Žižkov was Charles Hartig, who is credited with the naming of streets, squares and houses after famous Czechs from Jan Hus to Komensky (John Amos Comenius). On 15 May 1881, Emperor Franz Josef I promoted Žižkov to the status of a city. thumb upright Monument to Jaroslav Hašek (Image:Hasek-nepras-01.jpg) on Prokop Square By 1920 almost the whole district was developed; only the Ohrada area was newly built at that time. Žižkov also became one of the first neighborhoods outside of the historic city center to be connected to the tram system. The independent city of Žižkov was eventually incorporated into Prague in January 1922. Although 19th-century Žižkov is regarded as a proletarian neighborhood, there was also industry there. The largest factory, producing matches, was founded by French entrepreneurs Sellier and Bellot at Parukářka at the time of the emergence of the city. At the beginning of the First Republic (Czechoslovak Republic (1918–1938)), there were smaller factories – Papírografie on Vápenka, the Strejc and Nosek precision machine plants, and a number of workshops on Kněžská luka. Small business were often hidden in the courtyards of the residential buildings. In the early 20th century, Žižkov developed into the "Bohemian (Bohemianism)" part of Prague, with many artists living or performing there. Writers Jaroslav Hašek (1883–1923) and Franta Sauer (1882–1947) wrote many of their works in Žižkov. In the 1980s, the cornerstone of a monument to Hašek was ceremonially laid on Olšanské Square, though the monument itself was eventually built on Prokop Square. Also, poet Jaroslav Seifert (1901–1986), winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1984, was born and spent most of his life in Žižkov. At the end of World War I, the circle of the Bohemian writers originated the concept of the Žižkov Free Republic resistance movement. This concept was remembered by the mayor of Prague 3, Milan Český, on 25 July 2001 when the Ambassador of the European Union in the Czech Republic, Ramiro Cibrian, officially visited the city. In the spirit of the resistance, Cibrian symbolically invited Žižkov into the EU. "Žižkov do Evropské unie" ("Žižkov in the European Union"), ''Radniční noviny'', 7 August 2001. During the second world war Žižkov was an area of considerable activity on the part of the Czech resistance movement. This was emphasised when the Reinhard Heydrich assassination parachutists were looked after by families within the area. In particular, to this day plaques can be seen to the Moravec family on Biskupcova 7 and Jan Zelinky (almost opposite) on Biskupcova 4. In the 1970s, the communist city government of Prague developed plans to completely rebuild the district. The narrow streets were to be widened and the old tenements replaced by precast-concrete apartment blocks. These plans, however, were repeatedly postponed and eventually discarded after the overthrow of communism in 1989. After the Velvet Revolution, often in connection with the restitution of houses, reconstruction and rehabilitation began in Žižkov. While many houses have since been renovated, the look of the neighborhood has not changed much. Significant sights thumb upright Žižkov Television Tower (Image:Zizkov Television Tower Prague.jpg) Žižkov Television Tower Born in Žižkov, a suburb of Prague in what was then part of Austria-Hungary, his first collection of poems was published in 1921. He was a member of the Communist Party, the editor of a number of communist newspapers and magazines - ''Rovnost'', ''Srsatec'', and ''Reflektor'' - and the employee of a communist publishing house. DATE OF BIRTH 23 September 1901 PLACE OF BIRTH Žižkov, Austria-Hungary DATE OF DEATH 10 January 1986 thumb Statue of Jaroslav Hašek near the pubs where he wrote his works (Žižkov (Image:Hasek-nepras-01.jpg), Praha). *Vítkov (Vítkov (Opava District)) – Vítek z Kravař *Žižkov – Jan Žižka Čurda betrayed several safe houses provided by the Jindra group, including that of the Moravec family in Žižkov. At 5.00 am on 17 June, the Moravec flat was raided. The family was made to stand in the corridor while the Gestapo searched their flat. Mrs. Moravec was allowed to go to the toilet, and killed herself with a cyanide capsule (cyanide). Mr. Moravec, oblivious to his family's involvement with the resistance, was taken to the Peček Palác together with his son Ata. Ata was tortured throughout the day. Finally, he was stupefied with brandy and shown his mother's severed head in a fish tank. McDonald, Callum, ''The Killing of Reinhard Heydrich: The SS “Butcher of Prague”'', p. 202. ISBN 0-306-80860-9 Ata Moravec told the Gestapo what they wanted to know. Defence of Prague The siege began on 12 June. The crusaders' forces, in the opinions of the chroniclers, consisted of 100-200 thousand soldiers. In the opinions of modern historians they probably had 50-100 thousand soldiers. One of the most important points in the fortifications of Prague was Vítkov Hill. The fortifications on this hill secured roads on the crusaders' supply lines. The fortifications themselves were made from timber but they were consolidated with a stone and clay wall and with moats. On the southern part of the hill there was a standing tower, the northern part was secured by a steep cliff. The fortifications were said to be defended by 26 men and three women, though in the opinion of J. Durdik, it was probably about 60 soldiers. On 13 July, the Crusader's cavalry crossed the river Vltava and began their attack. On 14 July, Hussite relief troops surprise attacked the Knights through the vineyards on the southern side of the hill on which the battle was fought. The violent attack forced the crusaders down the steep northern cliff. Panic spread among the crusaders, which made them rout the field. During the retreat, many knights drowned in the Vltava. Most of Žižka's forces were soldiers armed with flails and guns. After the battle, the Hussites had won. Crusaders lost about 300 knights. In honour of this battle, Vítkov Hill was renamed Žižkov after Jan Žižka. This battle was more of a political success than a military success. As a consequence of the Hussite victory on Vítkov, the crusaders lost any hope of starving the city into submission and their army disintegrated. Afterward the crusaders withdrew to Kutná Hora and began local warfare. A monument exists today on the hill and in 2003 local officials were attempting to replant the vineyard. Ježek was born in the Prague quarter of Žižkov to the family of a tailor. He was almost blind from a young age. He studied composition at the Prague Conservatory as a pupil of Karel Boleslav Jirák (1924–1927), at the master school of composition with Josef Suk (Josef Suk (composer)) (1927–1930), and shortly also with Alois Hába (1927–1928). Ježek met the playwrights comedians Jan Werich and Jiří Voskovec (Jiri Voskovec) (aka George Voskovec), leaders of the ''Osvobozené divadlo'' (Prague Liberated Theatre) in Prague, and took up the post of main composer and conductor for the theatre. During the next decade (from 1928 to 1939), he composed incidental music, songs, dances, and ballets for the comic and satirical plays of Voskovec and Werich. In 1934 he became a member of Czech Group of Surrealists. Forced to leave Czechoslovakia following the Nazi (Nazism) occupation, Ježek, Voskovec and Werich went into exile in New York City. He worked as a piano teacher and choirmaster there, and continued to work with Voskovec and Werich. In 1942, the long-ill Ježek died of chronic kidney disease in New York. On December 29, 1941, two days before his death, Ježek married Frances Bečáková. Cimrman is a major character or the putative author of a great number of books, plays, and films. The Jára Cimrman Theatre in Žižkov is one of Prague's most frequented theatrical houses. thumb Žižkov TV tower dominates the skyline. (File:2011-06-11-praha-by-RalfR-071.jpg) The '''Žižkov Television Tower''' is a unique transmitter tower built in Prague between 1985 and 1992. Designed by architect Václav Aulický and structural engineer Jiří Kozák Žižkovská televizní věž , it stands high above the city's traditional skyline from its position on top of a hill in the district of Žižkov, from which it takes its name. The tower is an example of high-tech architecture. thumb Administrative division of Vinohrady (File:Vinohrady-katastr.png) Between 1788–1867 it was called ''Viničné Hory'' (Vineyard Mountains). From 1867 to 1968 it was called Královské Vinohrady ("Royal Vineyards"). In 1875, Královské Vinohrady were divided into two parts, Královské Vinohrady I and Královské Vinohrady II, the part I was renamed to Žižkov and the part II to Královské Vinohrady in 1877. In 1922 Královské Vinohrady was made part of Prague as district XII. In 1949, the west part was conjoined with Prague 2 and the east part remain separate district Prague 12. In 1960, where Prague division was reduced from 16 to 10 administrative districts, the north part of Prague 12 was conjoined with Žižkov into Prague 3 and the south part was joined to Prague 10. Local patriots say that the real reason was that Královské Vinohrady were known as a "bourgeois" district and thus politically unreliable for the then-ruling Communist Party of Czechoslovakia. Description The main east-west avenue of Vinohrady is Vinohradská street leading from Wenceslas Square to Žižkov and Strašnice. Along this street stand headquarter building of Czech Radio, old Vinohrady Market Hall and Vinohrady Water Tower and several stations of Prague Metro Line A (Line A (Prague Metro)) (Náměstí Míru, Jiřího z Poděbrad, Flora, Želivského). Parallel to Vinohradská street, there is Slezská street, Korunní street (from Peace Square to Flora) and Francouzská street (from Peace Square to Vršovice . In the east part of Vinohrady near Strašnice are situated the large Královské Vinohrady Teaching Hospital and Vinohrady Cemeteries. Schools at the University of Economics in Prague are often called 'Faculties'. The university is located at three campuses. Its main campus is in Prague at Žižkov. A secondary campus is found in Jižní město on the outskirts of Prague. The Faculty of Management is located separately from the others at its own campus outside Prague in Jindřichův Hradec (Jindrichuv Hradec) (110 kilometres away from Prague). The district includes most of the cadastral area (Prague districts) of Žižkov and parts of Vinohrady, Vysočany (Vysočany, Prague) and Strašnice. The district area has remained intact since its creation in 1960. The team was founded by a group of students in 1903 in the town of Žižkov (since 1922 part of Prague). Viktoria's main successes fall into the period between the world wars — until 1948 it was the third most successful Czechoslovak (Czechoslovakia) club, winning the Czechoslovak championship in 1928 (1927–28 Czechoslovak First League) and finishing as runners-up in 1929. After the second world war and the beginning of communism in 1948 it descended to the lower leagues where it remained until 1993 when it was promoted again to the highest league as a result of the Slovak clubs walking away to form their own league. Viktoria was very successful between 1993 and 2003, competing in four European cups and finishing 3rd in the league on two occasions (2002, 2003). In total Žižkov has won the national knock out cup on 9 occasions (1913, 1914, 1916, 1921, 1929, 1933, 1940, 1994 and 2001) and finished as runners-up in 1919, 1920 and 1995.
As development of petroleum resources progressed in the early 1960s, Libya launched its first Five-Year Plan, 1963-68. One negative result of the new wealth from petroleum, however, was a decline in agricultural production, largely through neglect. Internal Libyan politics continued to be stable, but the federal form of government had proven inefficient and cumbersome. In April 1963, Prime Minister Mohieddin Fikini secured adoption by parliament of a bill, endorsed by the king, that abolished the federal form of government, establishing in its place a unitary, monarchical state with a dominant central government. By legislation, the historical divisions of Cyrenaica, Tripolitania, and Fezzan were to be eliminated and the country divided into ten new provinces, each headed by an appointed governor. The legislature revised the constitution in 1963 to reflect the change from a federal to a unitary state. International relations thumb King Idris with U.S. Vice-President Richard Nixon (File:Idris I & Richard Nixon.jpg) in March 1957. Libya sought cordial relations with the West. File:Nasser Idris I.jpg
Ridge Plaza were constructed. The 1980s saw an expansion of retail shopping malls to include Discovery Bay Plaza, Transit Square, Baywood Plaza, Westney Heights Plaza and most recently the Durham Centre at Harwood Avenue and Kingston Road. The 1970s saw the beginning of many physical changes to the face of Ajax. New subdivisions spread over vacant land in central Ajax. The early 1980s brought extensive development to the southern part of Ajax with large, upscale housing units constructed along Lake Driveway. The recession of the early 1980s did not stop residential development in Ajax. Westney Heights started north of Highway 2 and offered home buyers low interest rate mortgages while interest rates were then at an all-time high of 18% to 20%. Development north of Highway 2 stretched from Church Street in Pickering Village to Harwood Avenue, with the Millers Creek development south of the highway down to the edge of Highway 401 (Ontario Highway 401). Infrastructure CKGE 94.9 (CKGE-FM) group5 York Region (Regional Municipality of York) - colspan "4" '''Ajax (Ajax, Ontario)''' - ''Main article (Ajax municipal election, 2006)'' - frequency 95.9 MHz (FM (FM radio)) city Ajax (Ajax, Ontario), Ontario area Oshawa, Durham Region (Durham Region, Ontario), Toronto (Greater Toronto Area) '''CJKX-FM''' is a Canadian (Canada) radio station. Although its official city of licence is Ajax, Ontario, the station operates from studios in Oshawa, Ontario with co-owned stations CKDO (CKDO (AM)) and CKGE (CKGE-FM). Airing at 95.9 FM (FM radio), the station broadcasts a country music format branded as '''KX96'''. * It was one of a few sub-contractors to GO Transit during GO's early years. * It also operated municipal transit (Mass transit) in Ajax, Ontario from 1969 to 1973. Service was which provided using a fleet of school buses, with heaviest ridership between the Pickering Beach area and downtown Ajax. * Trial transit operator in Whitby in 1976, then as contractor for Whitby Transit up to the early 1990s
to the booming economy of Leeds - and an increase in numbers of commuters to the city from the sub-region - and a recognition of undeveloped assets. For instance Castleford, to the North East of Wakefield is seeing extensive development and investment because of the natural asset of its outlook on to the River Aire, its easy access to the national motorway network and the availability of former mining land for house-building. In Ossett, house prices have risen from an average of £50,000
. The commercial area of Misrata contains numerous shops, restaurants, and cafes. The extensive development of the city attracted large numbers of immigrants to Misrata, giving it a cosmopolitan atmosphere. The main square adjacent to the old souk resembles those of major Moroccan (Morocco) cities. Revolution
* Imala's hot springs, which are about a 30 minute ride from the city and close to several dams and reservoirs where you can fish large mouth bass all year round. * Altata beach located 30 minutes from Culiacán, where there has been extensive development over the last couple of years. It has a "sister" beach called Isla Cortés (Cortes Island) or Nuevo Altata (New Altata) where this project of travel destination, has begun with some restaurants, and private areas. It is famous for its blue sea, white sand, modern restaurants and bars, nightclubs, and high sea waves. * The Cathedral, a 19th-century church which began construction in the 1830s. * Plazuela Alvaro Obregón, which was the place for social gatherings in the 1800s. * La Lomita or Templo de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe is the tallest church in Culiacán, situated on a hill with a view of the entire city. * The Centro Cultural Genaro Estrada, known by the locals as "Difocur", encompasses a theater, movie theater, a cafe and a group of museums specialized in local culture. DIFOCUR is also the home of the Orquesta Sinfonica Sinaloa de las Artes. The OSSLA performs a 42-week season (September to June) of symphony, pops, opera, ballet, and chamber music, and features musicians from more than fifteen different countries, including Mexico, the United States, England, Scotland, Canada, Romania, Argentina, and others. Working under the auspicies of the government of Sinaloa, the OSSLA also performs many outreach and educational programs around the state of Sinaloa, as well as throughout Mexico. * Regional History Museum in the "Parque Constitución", a large art museum downtown and a number of small art galleries owned by several of the local universities. * Botanical Garden and Centro de Ciencias de Sinaloa, a science museum that holds the fifth largest meteorite on earth. * A baseball stadium, the "Estadio Angel Flores" home of Los Tomateros de Culiacán, a bigger football arena called "Estadio Banorte" (Former Estadio Carlos González) home of Los Dorados de Sinaloa, Mexican Football Team, and several university stadiums. * In Downtown, the best preserved old street is the "calle Rosales", between Rosales square and the Cathedral. Attractions * '''FORUM Culiacán Mall (Forum Mall (Mexico))''' - Largest mall in Culiacán. It offers stores like Liverpool, Sears, Zara, C&A, Starbucks, Sanborns, Tous, Cinemex movie theater, MixUp, boutiques, kiosks, food area, and a HSBC. * '''Plaza Galerias San Miguel''' - Second largest mall. It offers Sears, Citi Cinemas movie theater, and mainly shoe stores. * '''Plaza Cinépolis''' - A modern plaza little mall in western city, and it is the only place in Culiacán where anyone can find the Cinépolis movie theater (Cinépolis). It offers many boutiques, some famous restaurants of the city, including Sushi Factory and Italianni's, the Antártica Ice Rink and Royal Yak casino right after the parking area, and the school supplies store Office Depot. * '''Plaza Fiesta''' - A plaza located on the center. It offers Coppel, a Ley Plaza (Super Market), restaurants, little boutiques and shoe stores. * '''Plaza La Campiña''' - A plaza little mall in eastern city, very near the Culiacán river. It offers Pavi, Coppel, a Mega Plaza Comercial Mexicana (Super Market), many boutiques, jewelers, and seasonally a Go Karts track. * '''Movie theaters:''' Cinépolis (1), Cinemex (2), & Citi Cinemas (2). * '''Gambling and casinos:''' Caliente (3), Royal Yak, Ermitage, Las Palmas (Nuevo León franchise), Lomas Play and Play City (2008). * '''Nightclubs:''' O'lydia's discothèque, Bilbao (closed temporally), Kuwa, Penthouse Klub * '''Antártica Ice Rink''' * '''Parks:''' ** Ernesto Millán Escalante Park (previously known as Culiacán '87): It has many pools, attractions, an artificial lake, gardens, sports courts, the longest water slide in northern Mexico, an open air Hellenic theatre, etc. ** Revolución Park ** Constitución Civic Center: Culiacán's civic center located in eastern city at the Malecón Viejo (Old Waterfront), facing the Tamazula river. It has the Culiacán Library, the Culiacán Zoo, the second Dancing Fountains in city where people go when it is hot, sports courts, a big run track and a Hellenic theater. ** Las Riveras Park (The Riversides Park): A park located around the Tamazula river, between Forum Culiacán Complex, the Isla de Orabá park (Orab Island park) the Malecón Viejo (Old Waterfront) and the Malecón Nuevo (New Waterfront). It has only pedal boats and a tyrolean across the river. Also a bike path, including recreational games. Here is celebrated Mother's Day, Father's Day, Children's Day and the Holy Week. * '''Water parks:''' Splash Club! is one of the largest water parks in the state of Sinaloa. * '''Nearby towns and villages:''' ** La Primavera (The Spring) is a small and private urbanized zone in the south of city. Contains many houses, two schools, a little mall next to a full of ducks channel, a sport club and a channels group connected to the biggest lake in Culiacán, where anyone can fish and go camping. ** El Conchal and other small villages with a population of 500 or less are located 8 kilometers from El Dorado. There people live on fishing and tourism. People charge 350 pesos to give boat group tours. Sports The city is home to two professional league sport teams: baseball with the Tomateros de Culiacán from the Liga Mexicana del Pacífico, two championships in Caribbean series in 1996 and 2002; and soccer with Dorados de Sinaloa, who play at the Estadio Banorte (Estadio Carlos González). Duck, dove and goose hunting season goes from early November through March. Culiacán also holds a yearly international marathon. Notable people from Culiacán Entertainment *Yolanda Andrade, TV host *Paul Rodriguez, Hollywood actor and talk show host *Chalino Sánchez, Corridos *Luis Campos, Drummer (Collinz Room, Noelia) *Sheyla Tadeo, actress, comedienne and singer *Cesar Millan, Dog trainer Sports *Julio César Chávez, boxer with six world championships in three weight divisions Wikipedia:Culiacán
2014 Since its establishment in 1956, the PAEC has overseen the extensive development of nuclear infrastructure to support the economical uplift of Pakistan by founding institutions that focus on development on food irradiation and on nuclear medicine (Nuclear medicine in Pakistan) radiation therapy for cancer treatment.
of Death, Pt. 1)" and "Nursery Rhyme Breather" were mixed and recorded at The Record Plant in Hollywood. *Vocals for "Guns Blazing (Drums of Death, Pt. 1)" and "Rabbit In Your Headlights" were recorded at The Site in San Rafael (San Rafael, California), California. ''All other mixing and recording took place in London, United Kingdom. The Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse has been forced out of much of its habitat by extensive development of bayside
entertainment. thumb 250px right Xiangzhou skyline seen from Jinshan Park (Image:Xiangzhou, Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, Skyline.jpg) * '''Xiangzhou''' (香洲; ''Xiāngzhōu'') – Government offices, big department stores (including '''Jusco'''), and some bars and restaurants are scattered throughout this district. This is the area where the locals mainly go shopping. : On the inland side is '''New Xiangzhou''' (''Xin Xiangzhou''), an area that has undergone extensive development over the last few decades, especially midrange or upmarket residential buildings but with commercial and business buildings as well. thumb 250px right Jida, with Mao's personal jet (Image:Jida at night.jpg) * '''Jida''' (吉大; ''Jídà'') is along the coast between Xiangzhou and Gongbei. This district has a lot of offices, high-end hotels and shopping complexes. This is not a particularly useful district to mention for directions, except for the fact that a Jida location assures you that the location is fairly near to the water and that a taxi driver will likely take the road right along the coast until you get there. thumb 250px right Gongbei shopping on Lotus Road (Image:Lotus Road Shopping, Zhuhai.jpg) * '''Gongbei''' (拱北; ''Gǒngběi'') is the main tourist area with a wide variety of inexpensive hotels, clothing, electronics, souvenirs, food, drink, and colorful entertainment in relatively close proximity to the Macau border crossing. '''Lianhua Lu''' (Lotus Road; 莲花路; ''Liánhuālù''; sometimes called Walking Street; 步行街; Bùxíngjiē) while interesting any time of day, is truly a ''must-see'' spectacle at night, with dozens of small outdoor-bar stalls which are always packed at night. Here you can see people drinking, playing dice with bar girls, and watching (or interacting with) ''working girls'' and passers-by on the crowded pedestrian-only street that is filled with shops and street-food vendors (see the Drink (#Drink) Section for more details). There is also the more upscale '''Bar Street''' (酒吧街; ''Jiǔbājiē''), a modern strip of nicer upscale bars with indoor and outdoor seating, some featuring live music (many blasting loud music inside). Most of these cater to Chinese businessmen and moneyed tourists. At the southern edge of Gongbei is a '''underground shopping center''' and the '''Macau border crossing''' (see Buy (#Buy) Section for more details). Going West from Gongbei are other districts: * '''Wanzai''' (湾仔; ''Wānzǎi') has a '''ferry station to Macau''' and a '''Seafood Street''' where you get to select your own live seafood before they are prepared for your dining pleasure. * '''Doumen''' (斗门; ''Dǒumén'') is in the Southwest. It is a bit out of the way, in that most of Zhuhai spreads north along the coast. The '''Zhuhai airport''' is here. The very scenic '''Jintai Buddhist Temple''', built at the end of the Song Dynasty is over 1,000 years old and is well worth a visit if you are in the area. Get the full treatment at the '''Imperial (Yu Wenquan) Hot Springs Resort''' in Doumen, the first Japanese outdoor garden-style hot springs resort in China, with over 20 kinds of hot springs. Islands One of Zhuhai's nicknames is ''the city of a hundred islands'' (146 to be exact), and it has a number of islands that are accessible from ports by ferries. An often overlooked aspect is the fact that each of the islands has a unique character. Some have decent beaches, and some are eerily quiet fishing islands. Each trip is a noticeable escape from the hustle and bustle of living in Chinese cities. A trip to the islands is arguably comparable to leaving the country. High-quality seafood abounds. Information about where to go or what to do can be difficult to come by because most locals do not visit due to cost of transportation. As a result, most tourists do not get a chance to explore these beautiful places at all, and most of the information available on the internet regarding Zhuhai focuses on the urban areas. Nonetheless, the curious expat or adventurous traveler will be generously rewarded. From the '''Xiangzhou Northern Wharf''' (香洲北堤码头; ''Xiāngzhōu Běidīmǎtóu''), you can get to the '''Wanshan Islands''' (万山群岛; ''Wànshānqúndǎo''): * '''Dong'ao Island''' has diving facilities, clear waters, and a nice beach. * '''Wailingding Island''' is also a nice getaway with clear waters and nice beaches. * '''Hebao Island''' is less developed and visited, and is a good spot for those who like wilderness. * '''Guishan Island''' has a sleepy fishing island town feel with exceptional seafood. While not as distant and not part of the Wanshan Islands, '''Henquin Island''', '''Qi'ao Island''', and '''Gaolan Island''' can all be reached by bus via a bridge. Remember to take plenty of cash with you on these island excursions because some islands do not have ATMs. thumb 250px right Entrance to Zhuhai from the Macau border (Image:Zhuhai seen from Macau border.jpg) Geography Zhuhai city inland portions of the terrain from the northwest to Southeast tilt, and diverse topography, with plain (25.5%), hills (58.68%), which has low mountain, tidal flat. Flat terrain, the hills of Linhai, sea area is vast, the hundred islands crouch, have qifengyidan beautiful bay, and the beach. Inland from Lantau Peak, General Hill's two major mountain ranges and coastal hills, plains. Sanzao island is the largest island, an area of about 78 square kilometers. Mountain land, hills, plains, terraces, is arranged in a crisscross pattern water network division. Coastal alluvial plain from the Xijiang and Beijiang together into alluvial deposits. The Pearl River Estuary coastal territory, the underwater beach coast to slow gradient. Coastline, island 690 km long coastline. Highest inland Lantau Peak,437 meters above sea level, sea island in100 meters above the sea level. The main mineral resources of the crystal, iron, tungsten, tin, manganese, potassium feldspar, quartz sand. Natural soil red soil, rocky soil, coastal sand, salt swamp soil. The main rivers are Modaomen, Venus doors, Nai bay door, gate, Hutiaomen, before Hill, Wan Chai River Macao waterway, Nanshui Lek, a total length of 135 km. Get in Most visitors to China will require an advance visa, which can be obtained in Hong Kong or Macau. See Visas (China#Visas) for details. If you are only visiting the Zhuhai area, three-day visas upon arrival are available at the border. Upon entering the Gongbei immigration building, after passing all the duty free shops, the visa office is behind a green door on the right hand side of the hall. Follow the stairs and you will find the office on the left. You need to complete a small white form, pay the fee and have your photograph taken with a webcam. The visa is then processed within minutes. This costs ¥160 for most nationalities, but Americans cannot use the service and Brits have to fork out ¥450 (December 2008). Hong Kong dollars are not accepted. Currency can be converted at the China Tourist Services office back downstairs in the main immigration hall, but usually at an awful rate. Once the visa has been issued, proceed to the immigration hall to complete the immigration process. (january 2011: I applied for a SEZ visa. The price list did have USA as a nationality, the price being about ¥950) By plane Zhuhai Airport thumb 250px right Outside of the Zhuhai Airport (File:Zhuhai Airport exterior.jpg) Zhuhai is served by the '''Zhuhai Sanzao Airport''' (
At this point Dnipropetrovsk became one of the most important manufacturing cities in the Soviet Union, producing many goods from small articles like screws and vacuum cleaners to aircraft engine pieces and ballistic missiles. As a result of all this industrialisation the city's inner suburbs became increasingly polluted and were gradually given over to large, unsightly industrial enterprises. At the same time the extensive development of the city's left bank and western suburbs as new residential areas began. The low-rise tenant houses of the Khrushchev era (Khrushchyovkas) gave way to the construction of high-rise prefabricated apartment blocks (similar to German Plattenbaus). In 1976 in line with the city's 1926 renaming a large monumental statue of Grigoriy Petrovsky was placed on the square in front of the city's station. В 1976 г. архитектурно-художественная композиция привокзальной площади была завершена постановкой памятника Г. И. Петровскому To this day the city is characterised by its mix of architectural styles, with much of the city's centre consisting of pre-revolutionary buildings in a variety of styles, stalinist buildings and constructivist architecture, whilst residential districts are, more often than not, made up of aesthetically simple, technically outdated mid-rise and high-rise housing stock from the Soviet era. Despite this, the city does have a large number of 'private sectors' were the tradition of building and maintaining individual detached housing has continued to this day. Commons:Category:Dnipropetrovsk