Places Known For

construction works


Taza

a welcome refreshment. Apart from the most famous gate at the Medina, the Bab Er Rih, you will find other gates from where you can have a splendid view around. One of them is the Bab Zitouna. * '''Ville Nouvelle''' - in the less touristic quarters in the Ville Nouvelle at Taza-Bas you will find mostly new buildings and little houses. Though the buildings are nothing extraordinary, you can sometimes find a house "in the making" and get an idea about construction works in Morocco


Rauma, Finland

, Finland - '''MSV ''Fennica''''' is a Finnish (Finland) multipurpose icebreaker and platform supply vessel. Built in 1993 by Finnyards in Rauma, Finland and operated by Arctia Offshore (Arctia Shipping), she was the first Finnish icebreaker designed to be used as an escort icebreaker in the Baltic Sea during the winter months and offshore (Offshore drilling) construction works during the open water season. ''Fennica'' has an identical sister ship, ''Nordica'' (Finnish icebreaker Nordica (1994)), built in 1994. In 1999 the summer-route was altered to Helsinki–Tallinn–Rostock. In autumn of the same year the Finnish Institute of Marine Research installed new equipment for monitoring water quality and algae. In 2001 the ship was docked with modifications made to the turbines and propeller shaft. These and a new bottom paint allowed her to increase her top speed once more, to - 9. P-Iirot (Pallo-Iirot) Rauma (Rauma, Finland) Pallo-Iirot -


Rosetta

Leclerc. Bouchard and his wife both caught yellow fever on the island, though she was repatriated and gave birth to their daughter in 1802, without Bouchard receiving news until much later. Bouchard was captured on the island's surrender and interned on Jamaica before being released on parole in August 1804, after which he went back to France. He convalesced there for a few months before joining Napoleon in September 1805, upon which Bouchard was put in charge of construction works in the town of Vendée (later renamed Roche-sur-Yon), which Napoleon had founded to reestablish civil and military authority on a civilian population who he thought might be encouraged to resume the War in the Vendee by the British naval presence in the area. Bouchard was in the town for two years with his wife, who gave birth to a son. He was then was put in charge of rebuilding of Fort Julien, an old Mamluk fortification near the port city of Rosetta (present-day Rashid (Rosetta)) which Bonaparte (Napoleon I) had renamed after Thomas Prosper Jullien, recently assassinated in Egypt. During these works he discovered the Rosetta Stone on July 15 or 19, 1799. He was immediately convinced of its importance, an enthusiasm he passed on to generals Menou and Bonaparte. He found himself caught up in the fiasco which led to the fall of the fort of El-Arish, which he and general Cazals were defending against the Ottomans. He was sent as an envoy to the Grand Vizir but was arrested, disarmed and imprisoned in Damascus for forty two days. On his release he was promoted to captain on 1 May 1800 and attached again to the force at Rosetta, where he was again captured when the small French garrison Fort Jullien had to capitulate to the 2,000 British and 4,000 Ottoman troops sent against them. He was released at the end of the war in Egypt and got back to Marseille on 30 July 1801. He was then was put in charge of rebuilding of Fort Julien, an old Mamluk fortification near the port city of Rosetta (present-day Rashid (Rosetta)) which Bonaparte (Napoleon I) had renamed after Thomas Prosper Jullien, recently assassinated in Egypt. During these works he discovered the Rosetta Stone on July 15 or 19, 1799. He was immediately convinced of its importance, an enthusiasm he passed on to generals Menou and Bonaparte. He found himself caught up in the fiasco which led to the fall of the fort of El-Arish, which he and general Cazals were defending against the Ottomans. He was sent as an envoy to the Grand Vizir but was arrested, disarmed and imprisoned in Damascus for forty two days. On his release he was promoted to captain on 1 May 1800 and attached again to the force at Rosetta, where he was again captured when the small French garrison Fort Jullien had to capitulate to the 2,000 British and 4,000 Ottoman troops sent against them. He was released at the end of the war in Egypt and got back to Marseille on 30 July 1801. The sole garrison of the city at this time consisted of Albanian troops, which the French Consul-General Bernandino Drovetti A Piedmontese Colonel who had served in the Egyptian Campaign with Napoleon, p.76, Manley, Ree attempted to force to repel the British landing west of the city. Despite the high surf, almost 700 troops with five field guns, along with 56 seamen, commanded by Lieutenant James Boxer were disembarked without opposition, near the ravine that runs from Lake Mareotis to the sea p.313, James . These troops breached the palisaded entrenchments at eight in the evening on the 18 March. It was fortuitous that serious resistance was not offered because the lines stretching from Fort des Baines to Lake Mareotis included eight guns in three batteries, and thirteen guns in the fort on the right flank. British casualties were light, however the Pompey Gate also known as the ''Pompey's Pillar'' was barricaded and defended by about 1,000 troops and armed volunteers, forcing British troops to set up camp to the south. Two detachments were sent to occupy Aboukir Castle, and the "Cut", Qaitbay Citadel, a castle in Alexandria between lakes Maadia and Mareotis, to prevent Ottoman reinforcements reaching the city. On the next day 20 March the rest of the transports appeared off Alexandria, and an Arab messenger was sent with an offer of capitualtion that was accepted by the city authorities. Sir John Thomas Duckworth also appeared on the 22 March off Alexandria in his flagship HMS ''Royal George'' (HMS Royal George (1788)) George Thom with a part of his squadron , further bolstering the confidence of the British troops. On the occupation of the city, Fraser and his staff first heard of the death of Muhammad Bey al-Alfi , upon whose co-operation they had founded their hopes of further success; and messengers were immediately despatched to his successor and other local Beys, inviting them to Alexandria. The British Resident (Resident (title)), Major Missett, with support from Duckworth, was able to convince General Mackenzie-Fraser of the importance of occupying Rosetta (Reshee'd) and Rahmanieh (Er-Rahhma'nee'yeh) to secure supplies for Alexandria because they controlled the canal, by which supplies were brought to the city via the Nile. p.308, Bell, Balbis thumb 250px right Front view of Qaitbay Citadel (Image:Qaitbay 0005.JPG) - 18 Nile mounts in the Delta, Canopic (Canopus (Canopus, Egypt)), Bolbitine (Rosetta), Sebennytic (Buto), Phantnitic (Damietta), Mendesian (Mendes), Tanitic (Tanis (Tanis, Egypt)) and Pelusiac (Pelusium). - In Greco-Roman times saffron was widely traded across the Mediterranean by the Phoenicians. Their customers ranged from the perfumers of Rosetta, in Egypt, to physicians in Gaza to townsfolk in Rhodes, who wore pouches of saffron in order to mask the presence of malodorous fellow citizens during outings to the theatre. Stern has extensive experience in instrument development, with a strong concentration in ultraviolet technologies. Stern is a principal investigator (PI) in NASA's UV sounding rocket program, and was the project scientist on a Shuttle-deployable SPARTAN astronomical satellite. He was the PI of the advanced, miniaturized HIPPS Pluto breadboard camera IR spectrometer UV spectrometer payload for the NASA Pluto-Kuiper Express mission, and he is the PI of the PERSI imager spectrometer payload on NASA's New Horizon's Pluto mission. Stern is also the PI of the ALI CE UV Spectrometer for the ESA NASA Rosetta comet orbiter. He was a member of the New Millennium Deep Space 1 (DS1) mission science team, and is a Co-investigator on both the ESA SPICAM Mars UV spectrometer launched on Mars Express, and the Hubble Space Telescope Cosmic Origins Spectrograph (COS) installed in 2009. http: www.stsci.edu hst cos He is the PI of the SWUIS ultraviolet imager, which has flown two Shuttle missions, and the SWUIS-A airborne astronomical facility. In this capacity, Stern has flown numerous WB-57 and F-18 airborne research astronomy missions. Stern and his colleague, Dr. Daniel Durda, have been flying on the modified F A-18 Hornet with a sophisticated camera system called the Southwest Ultraviolet Imaging System (SWUIS). They use the camera to search for a hypothetical group of asteroids (Vulcanoids) between the orbit of Mercury (Mercury (planet)) and the Sun that are so elusive and hard to see that scientists aren't sure they exist. http: www.boulder.swri.edu swuis swuistor.html http: solarsystem.nasa.gov people profile.cfm?Code SternA The money thus wrung from the people was lavished first on the Mamluks by whose help it had been raised, and then on the purchase of a multitude of slaves on whom, as fresh from abroad, the Sultan could the more safely confide. Next, there was much spent on public improvements; fortifications at Alexandria, Rosetta and elsewhere; watercourses in Egypt; a grand Mosque and College at Cairo; and new structures within the Citadel, which was now surrounded by groves of shrubs and flowers from Syria. The revenues were also largely devoted to the beautifying of Mecca, and increasing the supply of water at the Holy shrines and on the Pilgrim routes. But what surpassed all else was the brilliancy of the Court of him who but yesterday had been purchased from the Slave-dealer. It was maintained in the utmost luxury and pomp of equipage, stud, and all surroundings. Fine gold was used, not merely at the royal table, but throughout the Palace down (we are told) to the very kitchen. The Sultan's own dress and toilet were adorned with all that was costly, grand and beautiful; while poets, singers, musicians and story-tellers flocked to the Court, and flourished on the portions of the orphan and the poor.


Alaverdi

and French investments in metallurgical business. In 1903, the amount of copper produced in Alaverdi region made around 13% of the total copper production in the Russian Empire. By the end of 1909, the hydropower plant of Debed river was inaugurated in order to provide the developing metallurgical plants with sufficient energy. During the Soviet (Soviet Union) rule, massive construction works were carried on in Alaverdi, including the surrounding areas of Sanahin and other villages


Presidente Prudente

directions phone +55 18 3222-4137 tollfree fax hours price content In 1922, the religious community of Vila Marcondes started the construction works of their temple. The land had been won the colonizer city, José Soares Marcondes. The temple has since received the name of Our Lady of Aparecida. That year just might be laid the foundation of this it is today one of the main churches of the Diocese of Presidente Prudente, built with a nave and, later, a modern architectural vision and to the taste of the local Christian community, making attaching two more aisles . On June 10, 1988, the Marian Year, the Diocesan Bishop Dom Agostinho Marochi, by Decree 7659, created the Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida. Do WikiPedia:Presidente Prudente


Pushkin, Saint Petersburg

publisher Lenizdat year 1973 pages 199–206 The inflow of people to the area in the 1770s urged Catherine II (Catherine the Great) to separate the Tsarskoye Selo from the urban area. By the decree of January 1780 she established a town Sofia nearby with a separate administration. Further construction works without imperial orders were banned in Tsarskoye Selo and most merchants and clergy were moved to Sofia. The town was divided into rectangular districts


Barnaul

to Semey before crossing the Russian border. It passes through Barnaul before ending at Novosibirsk, where it meets the West Siberian portion (West Siberian Railway) of the Trans-Siberian railway. The bulk of construction works was undertaken between 1926 and 1931. In 1906 the Russian imperial government decided to finance construction of the first section, between Barnaul and Arys (Arys, Kazakhstan). A team of Russian engineers made a detailed survey of the steppe


Izhevsk

Life and culture Education thumb Presidential Palace of the Udmurt Republic, located in Izhevsk (File:Izhevsk President Palace.jpg) Izhevsk is the scientific and cultural center of the Udmurt Republic. Early on, the state took a leading role in childcare and education. 320 Public kindergartens preschools provide affordable childcare for 32,000 children. 100 Public schools provide free general education to over 100,000 Izhevsk students. A wide variety of technical colleges and two-year professional schools award associate degrees, most notably in medical assistance, performing arts and teaching. The Ural department of the Russian Scientific Academy is represented in Izhevsk by several institutions, specializing in physics, applied mechanics and technical sciences, and economics, and the Institute of History, Language and Literature of Udmurtia does the same. Four out of five higher education institutes in the Udmurt Republic are located in Izhevsk: Udmurt State University, Izhevsk State Technical University, Agricultural Academy, and Medical Academy. Each of these educational institutions admits foreign students. Udmurt State University celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2006. It is the oldest educational institution in the Udmurt Republic. Some 28,000 students are currently studying at the University, which offers 86 different majors. The university has thirteen departments and seven institutes. Out of 1,000 faculty members 130 hold Doctor of Science (Dr.Sc.) degrees, and 460 are Candidates of Sciences (Cand.Sc., equivalent to first year of Ph.D.). UdSU graduate school offers 11 attestation committees qualified to award Cand.Sc. and Dr.Sc. degrees in ecology, economics, law, psychology, pedagogics, ethnology, history, culture, linguistics of the Ural region, and Udmurt linguistics. Izhevsk is a pilot city of the Council of Europe and European Commission '''Intercultural cities''' programme. Museums and galleries There are about fifty museums and galleries in Izhevsk. The most popular of them are: *The Kalashnikov Museum and Exhibition Complex of Small Arms; *The Gerd National Museum — the Arsenal; *The Udmurt Republican Museum of Fine Arts; *The Izhmash Museum; *The Museum of Medicine and Pharmacy; *The Museum of Electrification and Electroenergetics; *The Gennadiy Krasilnikov Memorial Flat; *The National Centre of Decorative and Applied Arts and Handicraft; *The Galerea Exhibition Centre. The Kalashnikov Museum and Exhibition Complex of Small Arms, or the Kalashnikov Museum, was appeared in 2004. Its expositions tell about Izhevsk as one of the most important center of Russian arms production. The main perspon of the museum narration is Mikhail Kalashnikov. The museum and exhibition complex holds the permanent exposition devoted to this legendary Russian armourer. There are temporary expositions in addition to the permanent exposition launched in 2004. The Museum has the demonstration hall, including the shooting gallery where different models of historical and contemporary arms are presented, and the pneumatic shooting gallery. 17 kilometres from Izhevsk the Ludorvay Architectural and Ethnographic Open-air Museum is situated. It was founded in 1990 on the premises of the former Russian settlement Ilyinka. Total area of the culture preserve is about 40 hectares. It divided into 5 exhibition parts: the Sector of Central Udmurts, the Sector of Southern Udmurts, Russian sector, the Windmill, and the Mushtor Apiary Complex. Theaters and philharmonics Izhevsk has a number of theaters, among the most prominent of which are: *State Russian Drama Theatre; *State National Theatre of the Udmurt Republic; *State Opera and Ballet Theatre of the Udmurt Republic; *State Puppet Theatre of the Udmurt Republic; *Modern Dramaturgy and Direction Centre; *"Young Man" Minicipal Theatre; *"Ptitsa" Theatre-Studio; *State Philharmonic of the Udmurt Republic. Circus One of the integral parts of Izhevsk cultural life is the State Circus of the Udmurt Republic. Residents of Izhevsk have liked circus throughout the history of the city. In olden days the settlement was visited by vagrant performers — skomorokhs with mountain bears, strongmans and fakirs. Since the turn of the 19th century, shows took places in booths — temporary structures with benches for the rich and standing rooms for the poor. The first Izhevsk circus was built by Aleksandr Koromyslov in 1895. It had existed till the Civil War (Russian Civil War) began. On 21 September 1926, the Kolart Circus was opened. It was made of wood and seated 1,500 spectators. In 1943, at the height of The Great Patriotic War (Eastern Front (World War II)), the stone circus building was erected in the Kolart's place. It was designed by P.M. Popov after the pattern of Ciniselli Circus in Saint Petersburg. On 29 November 1943, the wounded soldiers saw the first show there. The Circus seated 1,800 spectators and was considered one of the best ones in the Soviet Union. On January 14, 1990, the Circus was shut down because of dilapidation. On 29 December 1999, the building was razed. On January 17, 2000, a cornerstone of new circus was laid. The project was designed by Moscow architect Mikhail Vesnin. In September 2003, first formers from the whole of Udmurtia saw the show at the new circus. In the judgment of specialists, the contemporary building of the Circus is one of the best in Russia. It seats 1,800 spectators like the predecessor and have current technologies and high-performance audio and light equipment. The Circus has its own hotel called the Arena Hotel. The International Circus Art Festival is held at the State Circus of the Udmurt Republic yearly on March since 2008. Circus stars come to Izhevsk from every corner of the globe. Members of leading world's circus art festivals and circus managers and producers from the United States, Germany, Italy, France and other countries enter into the festival jury. Sports The Izhvesk ice hockey team HC Izhstal plays in the Supreme Hockey League. In the season 2013-14 the team finished the regular season 19th and did not qualified for the playoffs. The football (association football) club Zenit-Izhevsk (FC Zenit-Izhevsk Izhevsk) plays in the Professional Football League. In the season 2013-14 (2013–14 Russian Professional Football League) the team finished 5th in the zone Ural-Povolzhye. The women's handball team Universitet plays in Russian Superleague. The sledge hockey team Udmurtia is the twice champion of Russia (2010, 2014). Entertainment In the post-Soviet period Izhevsk became known as home to a vibrant art and music scene. Izhevsk is sometimes referred to as "the capital of Russian electronic music". The Capital of Russian Electronic Music ''The Capital of Russian Electronic Music'' on RussiaJournal.com ''VA – Izhevsk Dance Machine'' on Kama Records website: release info and review excerpts An article on "Izhevsk phenomenon" on ClubConcept.ru The most well-known Izhevsk electronic act was Стук Бамбука в XI Часов (''Stuk Bambuka v XI Chasov''), whose only album ''Лёгкое дело холод'' (1991) is now considered classic. ''Стук бамбука в 11 часов – Легкое дело холод (1991)'' Some of the most famous institutions include the Italmas, an Udmurt folk theater and dance company, and the local circus. In 2001–2004, a beautiful new auditorium was built in the center of town to serve as a permanent home for the city circus. Today circus acts from Izhevsk and other Russian and European cities entertain visitors at the Izhevsk Circus. Cityscape Notable buildings and structures File:Svyato Mihailovsky Cathedral Izhevsk Russia Richard Bartz-edit.jpg thumb St


Kostroma

with English and Dutch merchants (Muscovy Company) through the northern port of Archangel (Arkhangelsk). Boris Godunov had the Ipatiev (Ipatiev Monastery) and Epiphany monasteries rebuilt in stone. The construction works were finished just in time for the city to witness some of the most dramatic events of the Time of Troubles. Kostroma was twice ravaged by the Poles; it took a six-month siege to expel them from the Ipatiev monastery. The heroic peasant Ivan Susanin became


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017