Places Known For

commercial


Downtown Calgary

pushpin_label_position none pushpin_map_caption Location of Downtown Commercial Core in Calgary pushpin_mapsize 225 coordinates_region CA-AB subdivision_type Country subdivision_name subdivision_type3 Quadrant

, Calgary Eau Claire on the north, the Elbow River on the east and the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) mainline tracks on the south. Within downtown are three city neighbourhoods. They are, the Downtown West End, the Downtown Commercial Core, and the Downtown East Village.

2009-12-02 The Downtown West End and the Downtown East Village are generally considered to be the downtown's residential neighbourhoods. Calgary Transit's C-Train light rail system runs down 7th Avenue S. through the middle of downtown, and the ride is free on this section. Downtown commercial core 200px thumb left Downtown Calgary seen from Prince's Island Park Prince's Island (Image:CalgaryIsland.jpg) Calgary's dense business area comprises the bulk


Virginia-Highland

as a streetcar suburb. It is named after the intersection of Virginia Avenue and North Highland Avenue, the heart of a busy commercial district at the center of the neighborhood. The neighborhood is famous for its bungalows and other historic houses from the 1910s-1930s. It has become a destination for people across Atlanta with its eclectic mix of restaurants, bars, and shops and for the Summerfest (Virginia-Highland Summerfest) festival, annual Virginia-Highland Tour of Homes Tour of Homes

Ave. Commercial development Some businesses opened around the intersection of Virginia and N. Highland starting in 1908, with many more opening starting in 1925. At the same time development started in the Atkins Park commercial district around St. Charles. Ave. and N. Highland, including in the present-day Atkins Park Restaurant (1922) which reportedly got what is now Atlanta's oldest liquor license when it became a bar and restaurant in 1927. Between 1928 and 1930, the Howard Dry

of Virginia-Highland resident and anti-freeway activist John Howell (John Howell (Atlanta)), who died from complications of HIV in 1988. During the 1970s and 1980s the VHCA also worked to improve the city's process of home inspection, to develop a resource network of quality, affordable service providers to aid homeowners in renovation, and to encourage developers to lease renovated commercial buildings “as is” at low rates in order to encourage new and unique businesses, and thus a truly


Gweru

Adventist) * St Patricks High School (Anglican) * Regina Mundi High School (Catholic) ;Commercial colleges Commercial education was not easily available to the majority of Gweru residents especially before independence. There was a surge of new colleges after 1980 when Zimbabwe gained independence and also when commercial courses became a popular requirement in industry. Midlands College of Commerce - The first black commercial college was founded in the early 1970s by Wilbert H. Shumba

. It provided courses in most commercial and practical subjects popular during that era for example: typing, bookkeeping, dress-making and shorthand. These were examined by the UK-based Pitman Examinations Institute. This college stopped operating in the mid-1990s following the death of W.H Shumba in 1994. After 1980 other colleges were soon established: *Educare College *Ambassador College (Ambassador College, Gweru) *Commercial Studies Centre *Solars College * TopFlight

Secretarial College *Herentals College ;Correspondence Distance Education Colleges *Zimbabwe Distance Education College (Zdeco). Founded by Dr Skhanyiso Ndlovu who is now the Minister of Information for Zimbabwe. ZDECO was formed soon after independence and is now one of the country's largest adult education colleges. This college runs commercial and academic programmes including ZJC (Zimbabwe Junior Certificate), 'O' and 'A' levels and degree programmes * Central Africa


Sunset District, San Francisco

of the University of California, San Francisco) and Laguna Honda Hospital (Laguna Honda, San Francisco, California). Prior to the residential and commercial development of the Sunset District, much of the area was covered by sand dunes and was originally referred to by 19th century San Franciscans as "the Outside Lands."

been popularly divided into four smaller neighborhoods with sometimes vague borders. Inner Sunset The Inner Sunset is bordered by Lincoln Way to the north, Arguello Boulevard to the east, Quintara Street to the south, and 19th Avenue to the west. This far-east section of the Sunset is located just west of Mount Sutro. The main commercial area is along Irving Street from 5th Avenue to 10th Avenue, which is dotted with a variety of restaurants and shops. The Inner Sunset is the least

, 19th Avenue to the east, Quintara Street to the south, and Sunset Boulevard to the west. This area is mostly residential with a commercial strip along Irving Street from 19th Avenue to 24th Avenue and on Noriega Street from 19th Avenue to 27th Avenue and 30th Avenue to 33rd Avenue. Features of the area include the massive Sunset Reservoir (which takes up eight square blocks between Ortega and Quintara streets and 24th and 28th avenues), which has a small park surrounding its outer rim


Sutherland, Saskatoon

http: olc.spsd.sk.ca de saskatoon100 students crosswords PDF%20SUpport%20Docs SaskatoonHistoryto1914.pdf format PDF accessdate 2009-09-22 This was in keeping with the railway's practice of bypassing existing communities and building its own town sites on land it owned, thus sharing the real estate profits with no one. Hanson subdivided the rest of his land as residential and commercial properties, laid out on a typical north-south grid pattern. The railway's town

, the intersection of Central Avenue and 8th Street (8th Street East (Saskatoon)) became known as "Stephenson's Corner", and was a local landmark as the city's streetcar line would turn northwards towards Sutherland at that point. The area became a regional commercial hub, and continues to be so today, although the Central Avenue link was removed with the development of College Park (College Park, Saskatoon) in the late 1960s (the portion of Central Avenue south of College Drive became Acadia

publisher City of Saskatoon accessdate 2008-01-12 Commercial left 180px thumb Central Avenue (Image:Central-Avenue.jpg) Since Sutherland's founding, almost all commercial activity has been located on its main street, Central Avenue. The vast majority of businesses are found between 108th and 115th Streets. Technically, all businesses located on the east side of Central Avenue north of 108th Street actually lie within the Sutherland Industrial, Saskatoon Sutherland


Bo, Sierra Leone

africa 3043198.stm publisher BBC accessdate 1 11 2012 After Freetown, Bo is the leading financial, educational, commercial and urban center of Sierra Leone. The city of Bo is one of Sierra Leone's six municipalities and is locally governed by a directly elected Bo City Council, headed by a mayor. The municipality of Bo had a population of 149,957 in the 2004 census, Republic of Sierra Leone: 2004 Population and Housing Census: Analytical Report

. From 1930 until independence 1961, it was the capital of the Protectorate of Sierra Leone. The city is the administrative centre of the Southern Province (Southern Province, Sierra Leone). After Freetown, Bo is the leading transportation, commercial, and educational centre of Sierra Leone. Bo began its modern development with the coming of the railroad in 1889 and became an educational center in 1906, when the Bo Government Secondary School was established. The Residency (domicile

* Christ the King Collegel (Christ the King College). * Bo Government Secondary School (Bo School) * Ahmadiyya Muslim Secondary School * Queen of the Rosary Secondary School * Comprehensive Secondary School * St. Andrews Secondary School * Bo Commercial Secondary school * SLMB Secondary School * St. Pauls Junior Secondary School * Ken Wiebe School * Njala University Experimental Secondary School Media Bo is the second most important city in Sierra Leone, after the capital Freetown


Federal Aviation Administration

and oversee all aspects of American civil aviation. The Federal Aviation Act of 1958 created the organization under the name '''Federal Aviation Agency'''. The agency adopted its current name in 1966 when it became a part of the U.S. Department of Transportation. Major functions The FAA's roles include: *Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation *Regulating air navigation facilities' geometry and flight inspection standards *Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics

. Faa.gov (2013-02-05). Retrieved on 2013-07-12. ''See also'' Airway Operational Support. * '''Aviation Safety''' ('''AVS''') - Responsible for aeronautical certification of personnel and aircraft, including pilots, airlines, and mechanics. Aviation Safety (AVS). Faa.gov (2013-04-29). Retrieved on 2013-07-12. * '''Commercial Space Transportation''' ('''AST''') - ensures protection of U.S. assets

during the launch or reentry of commercial space vehicles. Office of Commercial Space Transportation. Faa.gov (2013-06-25). Retrieved on 2013-07-12. Regions and Aeronautical Center Operations File:US Overflight Fee Map.png thumb upright 2 alt Map of approximately the Northern Hemisphere from Japan & New Guinea (left edge) to middle of North Atlantic Ocean. The map shows yellow over the continental US


Nutana, Saskatoon

Archives date July 2005 format PDF accessdate 2009-09-29 The name is thought to be derived from the Cree word "missaskwatoomina", referring to the saskatoon berry shrubs that grew along the riverbank. By 1884, ferry service across the river began, making Saskatoon the crossing point for the busy Regina – Battleford Trail. It brought more commercial traffic and business, as well as more settlers to the region. The first post office was established October 1

future downtown (Central Business District, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan)) was established, saving the existing settlement from extinction. The area now had railway links to both Regina and Prince Albert; however, the commercial center shifted across to the west side of the river. Broadway Avenue remained the commercial and social center for the east bank. By 1901, the west bank's population had reached 113 and it incorporated as the Village of Saskatoon. Stripped of its original name, the east

, chain stores and shopping malls drew commercial activity away from the traditional businesses in Nutana. Home construction also slowed during this period. The neighbourhood went into decline for several decades, as exemplified by the Broadway Theatre becoming an "adult" movie theatre. In the mid-1980s, Broadway merchants and community groups began to organize in an effort to turn the area's fortunes around. In 1984, the Broadway Theatre


Couva

of Chaguanas and north of Claxton Bay and San Fernando (San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago). It is the primary urban and commercial centre for the Couva-Tabaquite-Talparo Regional Corporation, and the Greater Couva area includes the Point Lisas Industrial Estate and the Port of Point Lisas. Couva's southern boundary is at the town of California (California, Trinidad and Tobago), and to the north Couva stretches to McBean (both on the Trinidad Southern Main Road). To the east of Couva

utilization of the now open sugar lands for new housing and business initiatives. Consequently, while the nearby town of Chaguanas has evolved and expanded significantly to become the de facto administrative and commercial capital of Central Trinidad, Couva's character has changed to become magnet for industrialization, sports, health, and residential projects. Development and Demise of the Sugar Production Industry In 1937 there were two major developments which occurred on these sugar

ensures easy access to Port of Spain and San Fernando, in addition to the neighboring towns of Chaguanas, Point Lisas, Point a Pierre and Marabella. Transportation, Public Service Utilities, Shopping, Recreation and Entertainment, Health Care, Businesses, Schools and Industrial Centres are readily accessible. The urban structure of Couva is similar to that of most towns in Central Trinidad with a mix of residential and commercial activity within the town centre itself, i.e. along the Southern


University Endowment Lands

. It is part of Electoral Area A (Greater Vancouver A, British Columbia) of the GVRD. Residential and commercial taxes are paid directly to the provincial government. UEL residents are eligible to vote only for school board trustees in City of Vancouver municipal elections

29th Avenue Station * #41 - UBC Joyce Station ''(limited service evenings and weekends)'' * #43 - UBC Joyce Station ''(peak hours, Monday to Friday, express)'' * #44 - UBC Downtown (Waterfront Station) ''(Monday to Friday, express)'' * #49 - UBC Dunbar Loop Metrotown Station ''(peak hours only, Monday to Friday'') * #84 - UBC VCC–Clark Station ''(express)'' * #99 B-Line - UBC Commercial–Broadway Station ''(express)'' * #258 - UBC West Vancouver ''(Monday

, personal services and various recreational substances has prospered on the beach for decades. Commercial centres Wesbrook Village Wesbrook Village is a small community centre in the southern tip of campus. It currently boasts a coffee shop and a Save-On-Foods Grocery Store. Most of the Village is still under construction however the coffee shop and grocery store are operational and open for business University Village The University Village is the first commercial


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017