Places Known For

century amp


Derbent

. Historically, this position allowed the rulers of Derbent to control land traffic between the Eurasian Steppe and the Middle East. The only other practicable crossing of the Caucasus ridge was over the Darial Gorge. The first intensive settlement in the Derbent area dates from the 8th century BCE; the site was intermittently controlled by the Persian monarchs, starting from the 6th century BCE. Until the 4th century CE, it was part of Caucasian Albania

and is traditionally identified with '''Albana''', the capital. The modern name is a Persian (Persian language) word (دربند ''Darband'') meaning "gateway", which came into use in the end of the 5th or the beginning of the 6th century CE, when the city was re-established by Kavadh I (Kavadh I of Persia) of the Sassanid dynasty of Persia (Persian Empire). The high walls with thirty north-looking towers are believed to belong to the time

by a confederation of Dagestani tribes. In the first few centuries AD, Caucasian Albania continued to rule over what is present day Azerbaijan and mountains of Dagestan. It was fought over in classical times by Rome and the Persian (Persian Empire) Sassanids and was early converted to Christianity. In the 5th century AD, the Sassanids gained the upper hand and constructed a strong citadel at Derbent, known henceforward as the Caspian Gates, while


Azov

on the Don River (Don River (Russia)) just History Early settlements in the vicinity The mouth of the Don River has always been an important commercial center. At the start of the 3rd century BCE, the Greeks from the Bosporan Kingdom founded a colony here, which they called ''Tanais'' (after the Greek name of the river

). Several centuries later, in the last third of 1st century BCE, the settlement was burned down by king Polemon I of Pontus. The introduction of Greek colonists restored its prosperity, but the Goths practically annihilated it in the 3rd century. The site of ancient Tanais, now occupied by the ''khutor'' of Nedvigovka, has been excavated since the mid-19th century. In the 5th century, the area was populated by Karadach's Akatziroi who came under the rule


Venetian Dalmatia

of decadence - which virtually concludes the history of Dalmatian art - set in during the latter half of the 17th century. Special mention must be made of the carved woodwork, embroideries and plate preserved in many churches. The silver statuette and the reliquary of St. Biagio at Ragusa, and the silver ark of St. Simeon at Zara, are fine specimens of Italian jewelers' work, ranging in date from the 11th or 12th to the 17th century ...". In the 19th century


Roman Kingdom

a regional power of the Latium to the dominant force in Italy and beyond. The unification of Italy under Roman hegemony was a gradual process, brought about in a series of conflicts of the 4th and 3rd centuries, the Samnite Wars, Latin War, and Pyrrhic War. Roman victory in the Punic Wars and Macedonian Wars established Rome as a super-regional power by the 2nd century BC, followed up by the acquisition of Greece (Roman Greece) and Asia (Roman province) Asia Minor

. This tremendous increase of power was accompanied by economic instability and social unrest, leading to the Catiline conspiracy, the Social War (Social War (91–88 BC)) and the First Triumvirate, and finally the transformation to the Roman Empire in the latter half of the 1st century BC. It was first given as a special title to Caesar Augustus in 27 BC


Cochabamba Department

of the largest and richest cities in the world during the 17th century – funding the vast wealth that ultimately made Spain a world power at the time. With the silver mining industry in Potosi at its height, Cochabamba thrived during its first centuries of existence. The city entered a period of decline during the 18th century as mining began to wane. In 1786, King Charles III of Spain renamed the city to the 'loyal and valiant' Villa of Cochabamba. This was done to commend the city's pivotal role


Jinhua

The history of Jinhua goes back to the 2nd century   598 and later became the seat of a prefecture. The present city and its walls date to the time of the Mongol emperors (Yuan Dynasty) in 1352. The most famous native of Jinhua is Huang Chuping, a Daoist (Daoism) holy man of the 4th century and reputed immortal (xian (Taoism)) whose


Narsinghpur

title Hoshangabad work publisher District administration accessdate 2010-08-19 thumb 200px left View of Satpura hills (Image:Satpura1.jpg) The Mori (Mori (clan)) clan is one of the 36 royal clans of Rajputs & falls in 24 eka clans which are not divided further. Mori Rajputs are sub clan of Parmara Rajputs of Agnivansh. They ruled Chittor & Malwa till early part of eighth century & built the biggest fort in India at Chittor in the reign of Chitrangad Mori (Ref: Archaeological survey of India)). Last king of Mori Dynasty of Chittor was Maan Singh Mori who fought against Arab invasion. Qasim attacked Chittor via Mathura (Mathura, Uttar Pradesh). Bappa, of guhilote (Sisodia) dynasty, was a commander in Mori army. After defeating Bin Qasim, Bappa Rawal obtained Chittor in dowry from Maan Singh Mori in 734 A.D. Then onwards Chittor is ruled by Sisodia Rajputs.Later Mori & Parmar Rajputs continued to rule Malwa until Muslim incursions. Of late they remained as smaller royal states & jagirdars in the central India in present state of Madhya Pradesh, presently settled in Dhar, Ujjain, Indore, bhopal, Narsinghpur & Raisen. Historically, Ahir laid the foundation of Ahir Batak town which was later called Ahrora and Ahirwada in Jhansi district in AD 108. Rudramurti Ahir became the chief of the Army and later on, the king. Madhuriputa, Ishwarsen and Shivdatta were well-known kings from the lineage. As Jhansi was known for a long time as Ahirwada (land of Ahir's). Bundelkhand anciently known as Chedi Kingdom. The region is now divided between the states of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, with the larger portion lying in the latter. The major towns are Jhansi, Datia, Tikamgarh, Lalitpur (Lalitpur, India), Sagar (Sagar, Madhya Pradesh), Damoh, Orai, Panna (Panna, India), Hamirpur (Hamirpur, Uttar Pradesh), Mahoba, Banda (Banda, India), Narsinghpur, Khajuraho and Chhatarpur. However, the cities of Gwalior, Jabalpur and even Bhopal are under close cultural influence of Bundelkhand, especially linguistically.


Taizhou, Zhejiang

) is located in Taizhou (Taizhou, Zhejiang), at the midsection along the coast of southeastern Zhejiang Province (province of China) of China. Yuhuan, with total area of 2279 km² including land area of 378 km², has a total population of 392,800 containing a permanent population of 93,000 from other provinces and regions.


Kursk

: The settlement was fortified and included Slavs (Slavic peoples) at least as early as the 8th century&nbsp


Szolnok

cRSIfvW2TtAC&printsec frontcover&dq B%C3%A9la+Bart%C3%B3k+and+turn-of-the-century&hl en&ei PPwhTYatF8qwhQep2Li4Dg&sa X&oi book_result&ct result&resnum 1&ved 0CCUQ6AEwAA#v onepage&q legendary%20past&f false He was their third child and spent his first 9 years at his birthplace, where he finished his primary school years (1908 – 1912) and when his family moved to Simontornya, he continued his education at grammar schools


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017