Places Known For

cathedral


Cloyne

a see city of the Anglican (Church of Ireland) Diocese of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, while also giving its name to a Roman Catholic diocese (Roman Catholic Diocese of Cloyne). St Coleman's Cathedral in Cloyne (Cloyne Cathedral) is a cathedral church of the Church of Ireland while the Pro Cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cloyne, Cobh Cathedral (St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh) of Saint Colman (Colman of Cloyne), overlooks Cork Harbour Cork harbour

and Geography thumb Cloyne Cathedral (File:CloyneCathedral.JPG) Cloyne is situated approximately 7.6 kilometres from the major town of Midleton. <

was in 2009 with 1433.4&nbsp;mm. In common with the rest of Ireland, rainfall in Cloyne has increased over the past 10 years or so, with the sharpest rises in average being in the summer months. Winter rainfall has actually decreased slightly in the same period. Notable people *The philosopher George Berkeley was appointed the Church of Ireland Bishop of Cloyne in 1734, where he remained until his retirement in 1752. His monument is prominent in the north transept of the cathedral


Skara

Götaland County , Sweden with 10,841 inhabitants in 2010. Despite its small size, it is one of the oldest cities in Sweden, and has a long educational and ecclesiastical history. One of Sweden's oldest high schools, ''Katedralskolan (Katedralskolan, Skara)'' (cathedral school), is situated in Skara. When the new gymnasium was built in 1988, it kept the old name and the old school was named Djäkneskolan. (The word ''djäkne'' comes from ''diakon'', meaning deacon

and other churches were completed in the town. The first monastery was for the Dominican order, called the monastery of Saint Olaf, opened in 1234; the other was of the Franciscan order, known as Saint Catherine (Catherine of Vadstena) (or ''Katarina'' in Swedish), recorded in 1259. The foundations of the Skara Cathedral are believed to stem from around 1050. The current cathedral was inaugurated in 1150, but findings during the last 50 years show it must be at least a century older


Nin, Croatia

and tourist town which looks for its development in the valorization of its historical heritage. In recent years, many monuments have been restored. Because of the importance of Nin in the history of Croatia, tourists visit from Croatia and elsewhere in Europe. They come especially to visit two symbols of the old town: the church of Holy Cross from the 9th century, called “the smallest cathedral in the world”, and the coronation church. After 1980 near Nin a high power medium wave broadcasting

, Pope Leo VI abolished the Nin (Nin, Croatia) Bishopric and transferred Bishop Gregory (Gregory of Nin) ( ) to Skradin. That was the end of the long running dispute between the Split (Split (city)) and Nin Bishoprics. Other attractions include: *''Cathedral of the Isles'' – William Butterfield, one of the great architects of the Gothic revival designed the cathedral church of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles, within the Scottish

Episcopal Church Episcopal Church of Scotland (Anglican Communion). George Frederick Boyle, 6th Earl of Glasgow acted as the founder and benefactor. Construction finished in 1849 and the cathedral opened in 1851. Formal gardens and woodland surround the cathedral, the highest building on Great Cumbrae and one of the smallest cathedrals in Europe. The building is variously described as "the smallest cathedral in Europe", "the second smallest in Europe" etc


Pushkin, Saint Petersburg

with a vast open place in the center. A wooden church of Saints Constantine and Helen and then the stone Sophia Cathedral (1788) were raised in the town center. According to Johann Gottlieb Georgi, in 1794, Sofia was mostly populated by the palace workers and peasants. It had a number of stone buildings, a church resembling Hagia Sophia of Constantinople, and a factory in the suburbs producing paper for state bank notes. The town prospered

thumb Map of the Tsarskoye Selo area (1858) thumb Tsarskoye Selo, postcard of 1904 (File:SarskoeSelo01.jpg) thumb Nicholas II of Russia Nicholas II (File:Tcarskoe Selo Feodorovski sobor 1912 004.jpg) meets deputies after the consecration of the Fyodor Cathedral (1912) A new park which later became Alexander Park was established in the 1770s to the west of the Catherine Palace, and in 1792–1795 Giacomo Quarenghi built the Alexander Palace at the north-eastern border of the park

of Technology url http: books.google.com books?id fj96Dpp3-5gC&pg PA575 accessdate 8 March 2011 date 1 June 2002 publisher Taylor and Francis isbn 978-0-203-19211-5 pages 575– The prominent Catherine Cathedral was built in 1840. The town was expanding and by 1855 had 44 streets, 10 churches, 400 houses, 8 military barracks, 3 hospitals and a female seminary. Tsarskoye Selo was one of the most developed cities of Russia. In 1887


Kabgayi

; image_skyline Suburban View with Kabgayi Cathedral in Distance - Muhanga-Gitarama - Rwanda.jpg imagesize image_caption Suburban View with Kabgayi Cathedral in Distance image_flag flag_size image_seal seal_size image_shield shield_size image_blank_emblem blank_emblem_type blank_emblem_size image_map mapsize

blank1_name blank1_info website footnotes '''Kabgayi''' is just south of Gitarama in Muhanga District, Southern Province (Southern Province, Rwanda), Rwanda, southwest of Kigali. It was established as a Catholic Church mission in 1905. It became the center for the Roman Catholic Church in Rwanda (Roman Catholicism in Rwanda) and is the site of the oldest cathedral in the country

to the west. In 1952 Monsignor Aloys Bigirumwami, the first black Roman Catholic bishop in Belgian


Vladimir

or military influence throughout the reign of Vladimir Monomakh (1113–1125), or his son Yury Dolgoruky ("long arms") (1154–1157). thumb left Dormition Cathedral, Vladimir Dormition Cathedral (File:Успенский собор-2 (by Hd Elen).jpg) was a venerated model for cathedrals all over Russia thumb left St.&nbsp;Demetrius' Cathedral, shown on this 1912 photo, is famous for its masterfully carved exterior, representing the Bible Biblical (File:Vladimir demetrios.jpg) story

of King David (David). Under Dolgoruky's son, Andrey Bogolyubsky (1157–1175) (also known as Andrew the Pious), the city became the center of the Vladimir-Suzdal Principality (Vladimir-Suzdal). It had a Golden Age, which lasted until the Mongol invasion of Rus' in 1237. During this time, Vladimir enjoyed immense growth and prosperity. Andrey oversaw the building of the city's Golden Gates (Golden Gate (Vladimir)) and the Dormition Cathedral (Dormition Cathedral, Vladimir). In 1164

was elaborately carved with high relief stone sculptures. Only three of these edifices stand today: the Dormition Cathedral, the Cathedral of Saint Demetrius, and the Golden Gate. They are included among the White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal, designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During Andrey's reign, a royal palace in Bogolyubovo was built, as well as the world-famous Church of the Intercession on the Nerl, now considered one of the jewels of ancient Russian


Veliky Novgorod

to in later centuries as precedents in their relations with other princes. His son, Vladimir (Vladimir of Novgorod), sponsored construction of the great St.&nbsp;Sophia Cathedral (Saint Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod), more accurately translated as the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom, which stands to this day. Early foreign ties In Norse sagas the city is mentioned as the capital of Gardariki. Four Viking kings—Olaf I of Norway, Olaf II

Ladoga Ladoga and Onega (Lake Onega) was sparsely populated and never organized politically. thumb 12th-century Novgorod icon called ''Angel with Golden Locks'' (File:goldenlocks.jpg) thumb left Cathedral of St. Sophia, Novgorod Cathedral of St. Sophia (File:Saint Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod.jpg), a symbol of the city, the main cathedral of Novgorod republic One of the most important local figures in Novgorod was the ''posadnik'', or mayor, an official elected by the public

; left thumb City plan of Novgorod in the first half of the 18th century (File:Novgorod 1701-1745.png) During the Time of Troubles, Novgorodians submitted to Swedish (Sweden) troops led by Jacob De la Gardie in the summer of 1611. The city was restituted to Muscovy, a brief six years later, by the Treaty of Stolbovo and only regained a measure of its former prosperity towards the end of the century, when such ambitious buildings as the Cathedral of the Sign and the Vyazhischi


Sigtuna

awarded an honorary doctorate (honorary degree) in philosophy by Uppsala University in 1958. He won a number of prizes for his poetry. DATE OF DEATH March 16, 1968 PLACE OF DEATH Sigtuna, Sweden 200px left thumb Lund Cathedral (File:Lund domkyrkan2007.jpg) Along with Sigtuna, Lund is the oldest city in present-day Sweden. Lund's origins are unclear. Until the 1980s, the town was thought to have been founded around 1020 by either Sweyn I Forkbeard

and Sigtuna. For instance, an attack on Sigtuna by Baltic (Baltic region) Vikings in 1187 led to a battle at Almarestäket, resulting in the death of Archbishop Johannes (Johannes (archbishop of Uppsala)). Three famous sets of gates adorned the cathedral over the centuries; they are known as the Korsun, Vasilii, and Sigtuna (or Płock, or Magdeburg) Gates. The Korsun Gates hang at the western entrance to the Chapel of the Nativity of the Mother of God at the southeast corner

of the cathedral. They were said to have been brought to Novgorod by Bishop Ioakim Korsunianin, whose name indicates ties to Korsun in Crimea. The Vasilii Gates, were donated to the cathedral in 1335 by Archbishop Vasilii Kalika and were taken by Tsar Ivan IV to his residence in Alexandrov (Alexandrov (town)) near Moscow following the looting of the cathedral in 1570, where they still may be seen. They influenced artwork in the Moscow Kremlin executed under Ivan the Terrible. ref>


Vanadzor

մանկավարժական ինստիտուտ Vanadzor State Pedagogical University 07.jpg thumb Vanadzor State University thumb Saint Gregory of Narek Cathedral (File:Vanadzor-new-church.jpg) Vanadzor is home to many educational institutions serving the population of the city and the residents of Lori and Tavush provinces. The city has two major educational institutions: the Vanadzor State University named after Hovhannes Tumanyan and Mkhitar Gosh Armenian-Russian International University. Branches

of the Blessed Virgin Mary, dating back to 1895. www.gov.am:Religious organizations in Armenia (in Armenian) *Surp Sarkis Church of Vanadzor built in 2000, located near the prelacy building. *The groundbreaking service for the new cathedral of the diocese of Gugark took place in May 2002. Later in 2003, His Holiness Karekin II; the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, conducted the blessing service

for the foundation of the cathedral. The construction of the cathedral was completed in 2005 and named after Saint Gregory of Narek, to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of his '''Book of Lamentations'''. *The chapel of the Holy Children (Holy Children Chapel, Vanadzor) was opened in the Tsitsernak children's camp of Vanadzor in 2006. Sport thumb Lori Stadium (File:Vanadzor, Lori stadium 14.06.2007.jpg) The most popular sport in the city is association football football


Morelia

imagesize 200px image_caption Cathedral of Morelia image_flag Flag of Morelia.png flag_size image_seal seal_size image_shield Escudo de Morelia.png shield_size image_blank_emblem blank_emblem_type blank_emblem_size image_map mapsize map_caption image_map1 mapsize1 map_caption1

of Michoacán. During Quiroga’s lifetime, he managed to keep political and ecclesiastical power in Pátzcuaro despite the viceroy’s and encomenderos’ objections. However, Quiroga died in 1565. By 1580, both political and religious authority (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Morelia) (Episcopal see) had been transferred to the city of Valladolid, moving the College of San Nicolás, which Vasco founded and laying the groundwork for establishing a new cathedral for the province. ref name "encmuc

" The 17th century saw growth for Valladolid, with the construction of the cathedral and aqueduct. The cathedral was begun in 1640 (finished in 1744) and the aqueduct in 1657. During the 17th century, many of the city’s large churches and monasteries were established, such as the monasteries of San Francisco, San Agustin, El Carmen and La Merced as well as the convents of Las Rocas, Las Monjas and Capuchinas. Churches include La Compañía, San Juan


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017