Tubas

What is Tubas known for?


lack+modern

clinics in the city: Two are run by non-governmental organizations, one by the Palestinian National Authority and one is privately owned. The clinics lack modern equipment and specialists, however. In addition, ten pharmacies exist in Tubas. Utilities Approximately 60% of the residents have telephone connection, and roughly 90% are connected to the water. The Tubas Municipality administers all water resources in and around the city. In addition, to the water network there is one spring (Far'a) in the immediate area which is the main provider of water for use in households. The city also has a water reservoir with a capacity of See also *Tubas, a Palestinian (Palestinian territories) city in the northern West Bank *Touba (disambiguation)


amp brand

; The Jarrar clan did not inhabit, but administrated Tubas, as it was located within the ''nahiya'' ("subdistrict") of Mashariq al-Jarrar. Doumani, Beshara. (1995).amp;brand eschol;query Tubas#1 Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants and Peasants in Jabal Nablus, 1700–1900: The Hinterland of Nablus: Local Trade Networks University of California

Press. Tubas was one of the largest villages in the District of Nablus. Most of the inhabitants resided in mud-built houses or tents in order to work on their distant lands in the Jordan Valley and to graze their sheep and goat flocks. Doumani, Beshara. (1995). amp;brand eschol;query Tubas#1 Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants

, and cloth bags. Doumani, Beshara. (1995).amp;brand eschol;query livestock#1 Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants and Peasants in Jabal Nablus, 1700-1900: The Hinterland of Nablus University of California Press. In 1882 a boys' school was established in the town. In 1877 Lieutenant Herbert Kitchener


time running

See also *Tubas, a Palestinian (Palestinian territories) city in the northern West Bank *Touba (disambiguation)


intifada

;OCHA" Bio Data - Tubas United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Tubas did not see as much violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict as nearby Nablus and Jenin, but a number of incidents occurred during the Second Intifada, which began in 2000. In April 2002, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF

in the city and are serviced by a priest from nearby Zababdeh. Irving, 2012, p. 236. Economy The economical situation Tubas during the 1993–99 period was prosperous, however since the start of the Second Intifada in 2000–01, Tubas' income level has decreased by roughly 40%. Prior to the Intifada, the average household income was 2,500 NIS (Israeli new sheqel), receding to about 1,500 NIS. A major factor that has

resulted from the conflict was the confiscation of agricultural land located within the city's or its governorate's jurisdiction by Israeli settlements or military authorities. According to the PCBS, in 1999, approximately 52% of the citizens were within the working age (15-64). Of the city's labor force, 48% are females. The unemployment rate increased dramatically from 20% in 1999 to 70% after the year 2000. Prior to the Intifada, 35


nearby home

were the object of a targeted killing in the West Bank On August 31, 2002, an Israeli Apache helicopter fired four Hellfire missiles at a civilian car suspected of carrying a local al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades commander and a nearby home. The strike instead killed five civilians, including two children, two teenagers and a 29-year-old Fatah activist accused of being a member of the al-Aqsa Brigades. The Israeli Defense Minister, Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, issued


history ancient

, kardala and more than this. History Ancient period The city's name ''Tubas'' derives from the Canaanite word (Canaanite language) ''Tuba Syoys'' or "illuminating star". Palmer, 1881, p. 209 Tubas was identified by Edward Robinson (Edward Robinson (scholar)) to be the Canaanite town of "Thebez" mentioned in the Bible. Robinson, Edward. Smith, Eli. (1856). ''Later Biblical Researches in Palestine and the Adjacent Regions: A Journal of Travels in the Year 1852'' J. Murray, pp.305-306. See also *Tubas, a Palestinian (Palestinian territories) city in the northern West Bank *Touba (disambiguation)


Ramallah

. The factory specializes in the production of Italian cheese and primarily targets cosmopolitan consumers in Ramallah, Bethlehem and Jerusalem as well as international workers and diplomats living in the West Bank. Irving, 2012, p. 55. Government Tubas serves as the ''muhfaza'' ("capital" or "seat") of the Tubas Governorate. Since 1995, Tubas has been located in Area A, giving the PNA full control over its security, administration

on Highway 588 connected to the main Ramallah-Nablus road (Highway 60) (Highway 60 (Israel)) by a network of northeastern offshoots of the road, that pass through the villages of Azmut, al-Badhan and Ras al-Far'a. It is connected to Jenin from a northern road which passes through 'Aqqaba, Zababdeh and finally to Jenin. Travel to Jordan is through Highway 57 (Highway 57 (Israel)) which is connected with Highway 588 just to the south of Tubas

: www.humanitarianinfo.org opt OCHA_Body-ASP_Files Coordination_Sec OCHA-oPt_FCU_BIOs_PDFs OCHA-oPt_Tubas-FCU_Bio_Data-22Nov04.pdf Tubas Bio Data - United Nations (pdf file) Category:Cities in the West Bank Category:Tubas Governorate Category:Tubas Political and Ecumenical Issues Mayors of Ramallah, Birzeit, Bethlehem, Zababdeh, Nazareth, Jifna, Ein 'Arik, Aboud, Taybeh, Beit Jala


international critical

in Palestine, with Some Notes on Scripture Site Williams and Norgate, pp.157-159. Skinner, J. (1895). The International Critical Commentary on the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments C. Scribner's Sons, p.268. Archaeological remains such as cemeteries and olive presses indicate that Tubas was inhabited during the Roman era of rule in Palestine. Tubas City Profile Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem. February 2006. Jerome mentioned Thebez being 13 Roman miles east of Neapolis (Nablus). Besides the Biblical story, nothing has been known about Thebez before or after the revolt. Bromiley, Geoffery. (1995). International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Q-Z Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, p.825. Ottoman period In 1596 it appeared in the Ottoman (Ottoman Empire) tax registers as "Tubas", in the ''nahiya'' of Jabal Sami in the ''liwa (Liwa (Arabic))'' of Nablus. It had a population of 41 households and 16 bachelors, all Muslim. Taxes were paid on wheat, barley, summer crops, olive trees, occasional revenues, goats, beehives, and a press for olives or grapes. Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 125. Modern-day Tubas was founded in the late 19th century during Ottoman (Ottoman Empire) rule in Palestine, when groups of Arabs belonging to the Daraghmeh clan—mostly shepherds and farmers who lived in the Jordan Valley (Jordan Valley (Middle East))—migrated northward to the site because of its fertile ground, proximity to several springs, and its high elevation compared to the Jordan Valley and Wadi al-Far'a plain; Mount Gerizim was visible from the area. The Daraghmeh clan had lived in the Jordan Valley since the 15th century and in addition to Tubas, they founded or inhabited the nearby hamlets of Kardala, al-Farisiya, Khirbet al-Malih, Kishda, Yarza, and Ras al-Far'a. Soon after the establishment of Tubas, Arabs from Najd, Syria, Transjordan (Transjordan (region)), Hebron and nearby Nablus came to settle in the area. During this period, Tubas became the site of clashes between the 'Abd al-Hadi and Touqan clans of Nablus and suffered incursions by Bedouins from areas east of the city. ''Byeways in Palestine' (2007) Finn, James (James Finn). James Nisbet & Co: pp.92–93 The Jarrar clan did not inhabit, but administrated Tubas, as it was located within the ''nahiya'' ("subdistrict") of Mashariq al-Jarrar. Doumani, Beshara. (1995). Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants and Peasants in Jabal Nablus, 1700–1900: The Hinterland of Nablus: Local Trade Networks University of California Press. Tubas was one of the largest villages in the District of Nablus. Most of the inhabitants resided in mud-built houses or tents in order to work on their distant lands in the Jordan Valley and to graze their sheep and goat flocks. Doumani, Beshara. (1995). Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants and Peasants in Jabal Nablus, 1700–1900: Notes University of California Press. According to traveler Herbert Rix, compared to other towns of its size in Samaria, Tubas was "well-to-do" and had abundant amounts of timber which was harvested for firewood. Tubas, unlike the villages in the rest of the district, depended on livestock and not olives for income. Livestock products included cheese, clarified butter, woolen rugs, tents, ropes, and cloth bags. Doumani, Beshara. (1995). Rediscovering Palestine, Merchants and Peasants in Jabal Nablus, 1700-1900: The Hinterland of Nablus University of California Press. In 1882 a boys' school was established in the town. In 1877 Lieutenant Kitchener (Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener#Survey of Western Palestine), of the Palestine Exploration Fund survey team, reported uncovering an Arabic inscription buried in the wall of the village mosque recording its building and dedication. He also wrote that the villagers had paid a bribe of £100 in gold to the Pasha of Nablus to avoid their young men being conscripted into the Turkish army fighting in Crimea (Russo-Turkish War (1877–78)). He noted that they would probably have to repeat the payment. Palestine Exploration Fund, Quarterly Statement. January, 1878. p. 62. The Palestine Exploration Fund noted that the Samaritans believed that the tomb of Asher, known locally as Nabi Tota ("the good prophet"), was located in Tubas. The tomb served as a shrine in local Muslim tradition. Palestine Exploration Fund. (1881). ''Quarterly Statement - Palestine Exploration Fund'' Palestine Exploration Fund's Office. p.201. Modern era thumb right General view of Tubas, 2006 (File:Tubas-Shraim.jpg) In 1917, the British (United Kingdom) captured Palestine from the Ottomans, and in 1922–23 Tubas was incorporated into the British Mandate of Palestine. In 1947, the United Nations drew up a partition plan (United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine) to divide Palestine into Jewish and Arab states; Tubas and the surrounding villages and hamlets were to be included in the Arab state. During the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, Fawzi al-Qawuqji led 750 Arab Liberation Army (ALA) soldiers to Tubas from Jordan and set up base there; Tubas would serve as the ALA's headquarters in central Palestine throughout the war. Pipes, Daniel. (1990). ''Greater Syria: The History of an Ambition'' Middle East Forum, p.57. Jordan annexed the city along with the entire West Bank, after gaining control of it during the war. In 1955 the first girls' school was opened. Tubas was under their control until 1967, when Israel occupied the West Bank during the Six-Day War. Tubas was transferred to Palestinian National Authority (PNA) control in 1995 under the Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. During the Jordanian and Israeli periods, the city was under the administration of the Nablus Governorate, but in 1996, the PNA declared Tubas and the immediate area to be an electoral district, and later, an independent administrative area—the Tubas Governorate. Bio Data - Tubas United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Tubas did not see as much violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict as nearby Nablus and Jenin, but a number of incidents occurred during the Second Intifada, which began in 2000. In April 2002, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) killed six active Hamas members in the town, including Ashraf Tamza Daraghmeh—the chief Hamas commander in Tubas and the surrounding area. Yesterday's Strike on a Terror Squad in Tubas Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2002-04-06. Palestinians who were the object of a targeted killing in the West Bank On August 31, 2002, an Israeli Apache helicopter fired four Hellfire missiles at a civilian car suspected of carrying a local al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades commander and a nearby home. The strike instead killed five civilians, including two children, two teenagers and a 29-year-old Fatah activist accused of being a member of the al-Aqsa Brigades. The Israeli Defense Minister, Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, issued a statement expressing "regret" over "harming" civilians in Tubas. Ben-Eliezer described the raid in Tubas as a "mistake", and promised that the army would investigate the incident. Killing deliberately, 'by mistake' ''Al-Ahram Weekly''. 2002-09-05. On August 21, 2009, a clash between the Sawafta clan and another city clan left a member of the former dead and 38 others injured. Five homes were also burnt and Palestinian Security Forces arrested five people in connection to the death. Tubas: Clan clash kills one, injures 38, sees five homes burned. ''Ma'an News Agency''. 2009-08-21. Geography thumb right 250px The location of Tubas (marked in red) within the West Bank (File:Tubas Map.JPG) Tubas is located in the northern West Bank with an elevation of See also *Tubas, a Palestinian (Palestinian territories) city in the northern West Bank *Touba (disambiguation)


726

La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations, Vol. III : Catalogue series BAR International Series 726 year 1998 publisher Archeopress location Oxford * *


quot social

responsible for the massacre "Keis Adwan, the hub of the northern Samaria network, had also lost a number of close associates in Israeli security forces operations (Rubin 2002)." Pedahzur, Ami. Perliger, Arie. "The Changing Nature of Suicide Attacks – A Social Network Perspective", ''Social Forces'' – Volume 84, Number 4, University of North Carolina Press, June 2006, pp. 1987–2008. , was killed by IDF forces on 5 April 2002 http

Tubas

'''Tubas''' ( northeast of Nablus, a few kilometers west of the Jordan River. A city of over 16,000 inhabitants, it serves as the economic and administrative center of the Tubas Governorate. Its urban area consists of 2,271 dunams (227 hectares). It is governed by a municipal council of 15 members and most of its working inhabitants are employed in agriculture or public services. Jamal Abu Mohsin has been the mayor of Tubas since being elected in 2005.

Tubas has been identified as the ancient town of Thebez —a Canaanite town famous for revolting against King Abimelech (Abimelech (Judges)). However, the modern town was founded in the late 19th century—during the Ottoman (Ottoman Empire) rule of Palestine—by Arab clans living in the Jordan Valley (Jordan Valley (Middle East)) region and became major town in the District of Nablus, particularly known for its timber and cheese-making. It came under the British Mandate of Palestine in 1917, annexed by Jordan after their capture of the town in the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, and then occupied by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War. The Palestinian National Authority has had complete control of Tubas since it was transferred to them in 1995. And Israel was taken 80% earth form tubas as Bardala, Ein ALbeda, kardala and more than this.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017